Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Someone voted an Arizona Diamondback that isn't Goldschmidt? Do they know Brandon McCarthy doesn't play there anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my god I forgot to vote for A-Rod :negative:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Rand alPaul posted:

Oh my god I forgot to vote for A-Rod :negative:

This whole thing is a sham.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Someone voted an Arizona Diamondback that isn't Goldschmidt? Do they know Brandon McCarthy doesn't play there anymore

whoooops. Well, I updated the chart. It looks like the Arizona Diamondbacks were literally the only team to not receive a single vote. In other news the Cubs went up by one :ssh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mornacale posted:

This whole thing is a sham.
Look my ballot of most of the Pirates starting lineup and Russel Martin is totally legit :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I forgot to vote, but I assume Joaquin Benoit made the list anyway.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If Matt Garza is on this list I will poo poo a fart

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This reveal is so slow :f5:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
With Wainwright and Votto, my number 1 and 3, respectively, have been revealed already. Well, I guess without me, they wouldn't be here at all.

I have a feeling my number two will be a fair bit higher.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#21, 25 pts.: Jose Abreu

Team: Chicago White Sox
Position: First Base/DH
#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? One of Cuba's greatest players, Abreu defected in 2013 and was signed by the White Sox to a 6-year deal for less than $9 million a year. He proceeded to win rookie of the year honors in 2014 with a unanimous vote, posting a monster .317/.383/.581 line. The first player on this list getting in on a volume of votes rather than a handful of top votes, he's also probably the beneficiary of an active White Sox fan base (no, I didn't vote) on these forums that didn't have many players worth voting for (goddammit).

after his first home run

code:
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Ratedargh posted:

With Wainwright and Votto, my number 1 and 3, respectively, have been revealed already. Well, I guess without me, they wouldn't be here at all.

I have a feeling my number two will be a fair bit higher.

I was the one with Waino at #3. You and me, buddy. We made sure the Wagonmaker got his due. To be fair, the vast majority of my list was St. Louis-based.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'm just hoping against hope I led SAS in the vaunted "players with only one vote" category.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#20, 26 pts.: Madison Bumgarner

Bochy posted:

This is a big stage, a loud crowd. But he just keeps that maniacal focus. He's as good as anybody I've seen at it.

Team: San Francisco Evenyears
Position: Pitcher
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to love? MadBum is five years younger than I am and has 3 World Series rings and over 1000 Major League strikeouts. You could call him Mr. October: In the 2010 World Series he pitched 8 shutout innings in Game 4; in the 2012 series he pitched 7 shutout innings in Game 2; in the 2014 series he was gobstoppingly heroic, giving up 1 run over 7 in Game 1, pitching a complete game shutout in game 5, and pitching 5 innings of shutout relief in game 7 on two days' rest to pick up the save. Royals fans probably did not vote for him. Nor is he just a pitching threat - he tied several records by hitting two grand slams last year and this dude is batting .235/.278/.412 in 2015.

code:
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 3, 2015

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#18, 2-way tie at 27 pts.: Miguel Cabrera and Nori Aoki

Miggy
Team: Detroit Tigers
Position: First Base/Third Base that one funny season
#1 votes: 1

What's to love? Probably the best hitter in MLB, Miggy has a career line of .321/.399/.551, collecting 405 home runs and 2283 hits since his debut in 2003. Think of it this way: 2014 was an off year for him, as he struggled to play through injuries (when he probably shouldn't have), and he still hit .313/.371/.524. He has a keen eye and a strong tendency to hit line drives rather than pop flies. Only 32 years old and signed by the Tigers through 2023, he has the potential to compile some staggering career numbers - if he can stay healthy.

that's right gently caress you little man

Nori
Team: San Francisco Giants
Position: Outfield
#3 votes: 3

What's to love? Nori is probably the polar opposite of Miggy as a batter - short, slender, and hits for a high average and low slugging rate. His career line is .291/.358/.387, meaning his average is .030 less than Miggy but his slugging is .164 lower. Most of that is probably stretching singles into doubles rather than hitting balls deep. On defense, Nori is fast and throws accurately. But who cares? He also makes funny faces and got hit in the dick once when he failed to catch a pop up in foul territory. Plus this:

gat dang Yadi

code:
18. Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Haha Nori Aoki is as popular as a future Hall of Famer. They do have one thing in common though: we won't see either on the field for a long time :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I didn't even vote for Nori. I feel like a bad person since that would possibly have pushed him up another spot. He is my favorite tweener in baseball.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
My bad, it was actually a three-way tie!

#17, 3-way tie at 27 pts.: Miguel Cabrera and Nori Aoki but also Anthony Rizzo

sorry dude

Anthony "Puttin' on the" Rizzo
Team: Chicago Cubs
Position: First Base
#1 votes: 2

What's to love? Aside from the fact that I misread the danged chart and forgot him, Rizzo is one of the young exciting players making Cubs fans feel better about coming in second to St. Louis. The current season is his best yet, putting up an OPS of .948 and significantly cutting back on his strikeouts (a mere 12.0% this year, compared to last year's 18.8%). He's also - incredibly - a cancer survivor, beating Hodgkin's lymphoma while a minor leaguer in the Red Sox system. Signed by the Cubs through 2019, he also has team options in 2020 and 2021, making him one of the franchise's faces for the foreseeable future.

code:
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Xenophon posted:

Anthony "Puttin' on the" Rizzo

I prefer The RZO, but to each his own.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#16, at 29 pts.: Mark Buehrle

Mark Buehrle
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Position: Crafty Pitcher

What's to love? Quick, can you name a player who threw a no-hitter (in which he faced the minimum number of batters, picking off the one guy he walked), tossed MLB's 18th perfect game, threw a complete game in an ALCS, started a World Series game and got the save in the next game, has pitched 200+ innings every year from 2001-2014, and has three Gold Gloves, all with a career fastball average of about 85.4 mph? If you said "Motherfucking Mark Buehrle," a favorite among Blue Jays and White Sox fanbases on these forums, you'd be correct. If you said "Motherfucking Mark Buehrle, who's on a one-man crusade to shorten baseball games," you'd also be correct (one game against Seattle in 2005 lasted only 1 hour and 39 minutes). If you said "that motherfucking guy that got in trouble for sliding on tarps and owns a huge fuckoff truck," well, you'd also be correct. Mark Buehrle rules and it's a shame that none of this will get him into the Hall of Fame.

code:
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Mark Buehrle is awesome and I miss him being on my team. He'll be going up against Chris Sale in an hour, but they're predicting thundershowers moving in around 9:00. Don't worry though, the game should be long over by then.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How was I the only person to give Miguel Cabrera a #1 vote? There's like 10 Tigers Homers on this forum.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I really wonder how many more of my list will make it into the top 25. I assume Joe Kelly, Randal Grichuk and Kolten Wong won't have gotten enough other votes but I'd be surprised if the rest of my list got omitted.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I couldn't think of enough players I really like to vote, but after hearing about Trevor Bauer's baseball spergin and imitating teammates' batting stances during a game, I hope he's on here.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Xenophon posted:

threw a complete game in an ALCS, started a World Series game and got the save in the next game,

The Buehrle Legend continues to grow

quote:

In Game 3 of the 2005 World Series, Mark Buehrle thought he had the day off after pitching a complete game two days prior in Game 2.

But he didn't.

Instead, Buehrle ended up coming out of the bullpen that night ... with a few drinks in his system.

Around the 7th inning in Game 3, Buehrle approached White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper with a styrofoam cup in his hand.

"I look in it, there's a beer in there," Cooper told CSN's David Kaplan on SportsTalk Live Monday. "It wasn't uncommon for guys on the 2005 staff -- the starters when they weren't pitching -- to enjoy a cocktail from time to time."

With the game tied, Buehrle then proceeded to ask Cooper if the White Sox needed him to pitch at all. The White Sox pitching coach turned to Buehrle and jokingly said, "Heck no, we're trying to win this game. We don't want you in it."

Cooper then hedged his bet by saying that the only way Buehrle would enter the game is if the White Sox went in to 13 or 14 innings.

Sure enough, it did. And in the 14th inning, Buehrle was the only pitcher left for the White Sox.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Rand alPaul posted:

How was I the only person to give Miguel Cabrera a #1 vote? There's like 10 Tigers Homers on this forum.

Could have something to do with the drunk driving and domestic abuse idk

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mornacale posted:

Could have something to do with the drunk driving and domestic abuse idk

He hasn't done that in years, also who can forget the lovable moments like telling the police officer to kill him while taking a tug on James Buchanan Scotch Whisky?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I think you'll find he said "I will kill all of you and blow this place up."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ice To Meet You posted:

I think you'll find he said "I will kill all of you and blow this place up."

I believe that was directed toward a steakhouse? He also threatened someone's family.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

That's just miggy being miggy

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
I fully regret not participating in this but if I can't vote Nick Punto why the gently caress bother in the first place

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

a nigga who smoke posted:

I fully regret not participating in this but if I can't vote Nick Punto why the gently caress bother in the first place

When I saw the thread I didn't have time to fill out a ballot, and then forgot about it until after the deadline. If I had sent something in, Goldschmidt would have at least gotten one vote. He would get way more press if he played for a more popular club.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twenty Four posted:

He would get way more press if he played for a more popular club.

Well, he did get voted in to start the all-star game ahead of some players that get plenty of media coverage so I'm pretty sure people know how good he is. Unlike super unappreciated Brian Dozier :v:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Not including Buehrle is my greatest regret.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ratedargh posted:

He'll be okay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ratedargh posted:

Yeah, seriously. I always forget what a freaking iron horse he is.

also sorry fellow Cub fans but I didn't include Rizzo. He's a beast but I voted for two Cubs who decidedly are not going to make this list instead.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ratedargh posted:

I was the #1 vote for Buehrle. No regrets.

Last night goesCG (8 IP), gives up 0 ER, loses 4-2. 7th straight start of 2ER or fewer. 4 hits, 0 BB, 2 K. Game time: 1 hour, 54 minutes.

Goddamn it was great to have Mark pitch in Chicago again.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#15, at 30 pts.: Munenori Kawasaki

Munenori Kawasaki
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Position: Dancing Shortstop

What's to love? Another slap hitter from Japan, Munenori Kawasaki is a versatile defensive player, earning 2 Gold Gloves in Japan and playing 4 positions in MLB. But frankly, nobody was voting for Munenori on the basis of his admittedly poor play. It was because the man is a hilarious goofball who sticks around despite all odds. I'll let the .gifs do the talking on this one.

code:
15. Munenori Kawasaki
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mune post incomplete.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I didn't vote for any of these people. Y'all a bunch of weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

also sorry fellow Cub fans but I didn't include Rizzo. He's a beast but I voted for two Cubs who decidedly are not going to make this list instead.

Now I feel less bad about not voting for Montero. :colbert:

Seriously, Anthony Rizzo owns and was my number one pick. He crushes literal meatballs.

Mune was also on my list. Hopefully my other eight are even higher on the list!!! Probably not!!!!

• Locked thread