Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Someone who likes good food

actually it's a shithead who makes eating and enjoying food into a social contest not unlike hipsters and music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUDw4_e93Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yeah man, stupid fusion garbage and dumb foodies didn't exist in the 80's.

"Squid ravioli in a lemon grass broth with goat cheese profiteroles.

Arugula Caesar salad.

Swordfish meat loaf with onion marmalade.

Rare roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale.

Grilled free-range rabbit with herb french fries.

Peanut butter soup with smoked duck and mashed squash (“New York Matinee called it a ‘playful but mysterious little dish.’")

Great sea urchin ceviche.

Pork loin with lime jell-o.

Mud soup and charcoal arugula."

- a book making fun of 80's douches

that was yuppies, not foodies nerd

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
OP is actually right lol. It was pretty bleak and now we have like food loving everywhere

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Haverchuck posted:

that was yuppies, not foodies nerd

The latter definitely didn't spawn from the former. They both exist in a vacuum. Dingus.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it all turns into poo poo anyway, who cares. i drink soylent

its just fuel, calories in, calories expended

wake up sheeple

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
when ][ was in elementary school .. !!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Haverchuck posted:

no thats exactly what that means, they only eat kid food and heave and gag at anything unfamiliar

it's loving bizarre how common these weirdos are too. i know one guy who finds something as simple as sunny-side-up eggs gross while eating pizza hut or dominos literally every loving day. this nerd also claims to be a really good cook despite his only cooking experience that i know of is making some sad burnt burgers a couple times

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

when i was in elementary school we "voted" on george bush vs. bill clinton

i voted for bush ! :saddowns:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

a foodie is a modern epicurean, a gastronomic apostle of brillat-savarin, you enterological philistines

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I liked strawberry Pop Tarts a lot better when they were filled with red strawberry-flavored mystery goo, cuz the mystery goo didn't have seeds in it. They need to go back to the seedless mystery goo. gently caress seeds.

That's my story hope you enjoy

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nomadologique posted:

we voted for clinton vs dole

i voted for dole

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Gobblecoque posted:

it's loving bizarre how common these weirdos are too. i know one guy who finds something as simple as sunny-side-up eggs gross while eating pizza hut or dominos literally every loving day. this nerd also claims to be a really good cook despite his only cooking experience that i know of is making some sad burnt burgers a couple times

people who don't eat pretty much every food are weird and bad

its food someone made not poison stop being a fake gagging baby

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Arugula Caesar salad.

Peanut butter soup with smoked duck and mashed squash (“New York Matinee called it a ‘playful but mysterious little dish.’")

But the point was, at the time that was overstatement making fun of rich people being pretentious.
Today, that is just a trip to Whole Foods by a soccer mom in Peoria, Illinois.

(Well, obviously not to that extant, but you get the point)

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

it all turns into poo poo anyway, who cares. i drink soylent

its just fuel, calories in, calories expended

wake up sheeple

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
fruit roll ups in the 80s had fruit

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

OP what part of the midwest are you from?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

when i was a kid in New York City we ate the menstrual blood of virgins and then drank forties of malt liquor while pissing our names in the concrete

in one ear and out the other that's what the neighborhood racist used to scream as the streetsweeper machine went by

and that was just on the good days!!

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Cyril Sneer posted:

I find the history of modern eating legit interesting. What kind of things were on the menu at more upscale restaurants back then?

If you really wanted to impress someone from out of town, you'd take them to The Kahiki. Of course this is America so the location is now a Walgreens and what's left of he company sells frozen dinners. But back in the day, man...back in the day...

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

OP is actually right lol. It was pretty bleak and now we have like food loving everywhere

Yeah, but do you remember the madness when microwaves really became popular? There were cookbooks for every possible cuisine to be done with the microwave, even milkshakes. I remember begging my mom for some of those so we could try them out. I seem to remember them resembling a poo poo tier frosty but God damnit I had one!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ecto cooler. Thrasher printed on newsprint had a recipe column. My favorite was "Mother of Mary's Surprise."

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

glowing-fish posted:

Pizza hadn't even really become a thing yet. TACO BELL was exotic.

fifty nine seventy nine ninety nine

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i eat human poo poo. my only drink is human piss. next!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Haverchuck posted:

no thats exactly what that means, they only eat kid food and heave and gag at anything unfamiliar

they are 'autists' its like a foodie but the opposite i guess?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fondue

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

glowing-fish posted:

Denny's menu from 1983. It doesn't look that different, other than the marked lack of graphic design skills.

Yo is this your picture? You've been going to Denny's since the 1980s?? How are you still alive?

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

i remember when my aunt got a fondue pot

poo poo was good

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

hmm, i only remember eating bad food the few times my mom tried to prepare low cal no fat meals from some dumb magazine. everything else was dope though guess it's good to be a millennial

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
"of course it's really a peasant dish, they really knew how to make the best food from nothing"

*spends $70 on peasant food ingredients*

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Demonachizer posted:

I was raised in a household with parents that still knew how to cook so I never ate that garbage.
This. And when we went out for pizza it was the good stuff made by real Italians.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Lascivious Sloth posted:

they are 'autists' its like a foodie but the opposite i guess?

yep, thats the funny word!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halah posted:

Yeah, but do you remember the madness when microwaves really became popular? There were cookbooks for every possible cuisine to be done with the microwave, even milkshakes. I remember begging my mom for some of those so we could try them out. I seem to remember them resembling a poo poo tier frosty but God damnit I had one!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I was a kid in the 80s, but in New Zealand. Pizza Hut was definitely a thing, but it was dine-in and they had a dessert bar and a salad station. I remember having a birthday there in like 87 or 88.
We didn't have a school cafeteria. You could put in a lunch order from a local bakery and on Wednesdays you could order fish'n'chips from the chip shop, but most people brought their own lunches and it was things like sandwiches, granola bars, a yoghurt and a piece of fruit. Cake or cookies if your mum baked that week. We started getting poo poo like roll-ups in the early 90s, I think.

My mum likes to cook and she made a lot of Japanese stuff, cause my dad worked in Japan a lot so they were familiar with the food, but most people ate meat & 3 veg of some sort for dinner.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Spazzle posted:

OP what part of the midwest are you from?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

more like cooking for one hundred!! drat bitch!!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Before I wrote this book, I used a microwave on my head and now I look 80. That's why I decided to write it in the first place, to warn others.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Arugula Caesar salad.

all of those except the last two sound like they could be pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

nomadologique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Halah posted:

If you really wanted to impress someone from out of town, you'd take them to The Kahiki. Of course this is America so the location is now a Walgreens and what's left of he company sells frozen dinners. But back in the day, man...back in the day...

I would like a cocktail that comes with a free back scratcher

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this is possibly the saddest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

maybe i grew up somewhere backwards but the OP describes the 90s too. but pizza was a thing on the 90s, pizza on a bagel, hmm, quite exotic, bot h italian aND jewish

• Locked thread