Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

nm posted:

I certainly understand that arguement, but the problem is that has been overwhelmed by negatives.
I think you could do the same thing, by requiring police to release stats on those arrested but uncharged within 1 year, requiring names of persons arrested be disclosed to certain family members, and allowing those arrested to waive any privacy if they want.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here. If someone is arrested, then they are also charged with the crime they were arrested for. If someone is held without charge, that's not exactly an arrest and everyday across the US police temporarily detain people and release them without charge or arrest due to the outcome of an investigation. Arrests are public knowledge specifically because a charge has been filed against them. Any charges that are dismissed, found not guilty, or otherwise dropped would be the purview of the court. In that case, it would make more sense to require the court of jurisdiction to file your "stats on those arrested but uncharged", and not the police department.

As for requiring notice to family members, why? I don't get the impression that most people that are arrested are jumping at the opportunity for their family to find out, in many cases they want that information hidden as best as possible. Who would the police notify? Who determines that? How would they make the notification? In what time frame? If the arrested person has the freedom to tell whoever they want about the arrest, and the police must also release that information as public knowledge (i.e. a press release), then why require the PD to make additional notifications? It's just another thing to saddle police with that are already encumbered with large amounts of paperwork and processes.

For a similar example, I look at the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) that I believe places undue burdens onto police departments to comply with release of information. Since so many things fall under FOIA, our PD administrative staff spends dozens of hours each week photocopying, printing, redacting, reviewing, etc. It amounts to an unfunded mandate on police departments to comply with FOIA and many FOIA requests are simply nonsense. For example, a local media outlet FOIA's every possible thing they can at our PD, including our daily service logs, audio tapes, service requests, reports, everything. Because everything we do at the police department has to be tracked, there are paper index cards with time stamps for everything we do during the day so that when they are inevitably FOIA'd our admin staff can just photocopy them. If I stop at the gas station for a drink, it gets FOIA'd and the media gets a photocopied index card with the date and time stamp I was at the gas station.

Anyway, to bring this back on point, PD's releasing information on arrests is a good thing and it sounds like you'd be better off attacking other avenues of how that information is used. Remember it wasn't too long ago that the ACAB faction of SA was up in arms over a Chicago PD "black site" where people were taken and never heard from again (lol).

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

The Shep fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread