Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Magic was once done in England. 300 years ago it was a common occurrence, and a man called the Raven King was the most powerful Magician of them all. Then he left England, and took all of English magic with him. Societies of magicians still exist, and books of magic are still held in private libraries, but no one considers themself a practical magician, apart from Mr. Norrell, a bookish man who has been quietly studying magic for 40 years. With the onset of the Napoleonic Wars and through the interest of two men in a theoretical society for English magic, Norrell sees a chance of reestablishing English magic as a modern force, under his orthodoxy. But in doing so, things start to go awry, and another magician, Jonathan Strange, begins to learn the practice as well.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a seven-part British fantasy historical drama television series adapted by Peter Harness from Susanna Clarke's best-selling novel of the same name. It premiered on BBC One on 17 May 2015.

The Major Characters (There are many more):

Gilbert Norrell

When we first meet him, Norrell - with the help of his mysterious servant, John Childermass - is very close to achieving this goal. Of making magic a force in the realm once again. However, despite that fact that he can bring statues to life and summon visions out of rain, he still needs to overcome the fact that practical magic is no longer respectable. And respectability, and the acceptance of his fellow men, is what Norrell ultimately craves. In trying to solve this problem, he finds that he must consort with dangerous and elemental forces, and unwittingly unleashes terrors that have been safely sealed away for hundreds of years.

Jonathan Strange

An idle fop, Jonathan Strange is spurred to have a profession by his wife. He runs across a strange man under a hedge, who sells Mr Strange some magical spells, and tells him that he is destined to become a great magician. Much to everyone’s surprise - not least Jonathan Strange himself - the prophecy turns out to be true.
And so Mr Strange becomes the second magician in the land. More wild, more daring, and more creative than his master, Mr Norrell, Strange becomes a hero of the Napoleonic wars, and a magnet for those who want crazier, more romantic magic than Norrell can provide. As his skills develop, Strange embarks on a path to rediscover the dark, hidden magic of the past.

Arabella Strange

The daughter of a clergyman, Arabella Strange (née Woodhope) is a charming, caring and humorous young lady. Not rich, but very intelligent, and unconstrained by the social straitjackets of her time. She has loved Jonathan Strange since she was a girl, but wishes him to make something of himself: not for her own sake, but for his. When he does this, by becoming, somewhat surprisingly, one of the greatest men of the age, she is a little taken aback, but joins her new husband on his exciting journey into the realms of English Magic. However, she is more worldly than he, and less trusting of people. She knows that with his new profession comes jealousy, rivalry, and danger; and she seeks to protect him from these as best she can.

The Gentleman With the Thistledown Hair

A mysterious fellow with a love of dancing and hair the colour of thistledown, The Gentleman (whose real name he never cares to tell) hails from a kingdom called Lost Hope, which seems to lie just beyond the mirrors, in a land outside of our dull English senses. In his castle made of bones and wrecked ships, he presides over a dance that has been going on for hundreds and hundreds of years; and now that he is able to go about in England once more, he is on the lookout for new guests to join the ball.
Whilst not perhaps entirely evil, he is as capricious and dangerous as all members of his race, and his greed for beautiful companions unleashes terrible consequences on the people of England in general, and on its magicians in particular.

These are only a few of the interesting characters in the series. Every part is well acted, to the point that you want to know much more about who everyone is. The series is tense, well directed, with excellent visual effects, costume design, and lighting. It came out of nowhere for me, but now rivals "Rome" as my favorite miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

This is a excellent Mini-Series. I'm glad that you made a good effort with the op because i was disappointed that this did not have a thread in TV IV .

The book is excellent and the series really does the book justice. It's really smashing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here's the trailer for the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1nsOoTJos

Though I don't think the music really does it justice. It's too whimsical for a series that has a much darker tone, though there are lighthearted moments.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The book was really good and this adaption is also really good. That is all I have to say. People should watch this.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So what are the spoiler rules here? Are we going by British airdates or American ones?

Either way, I think we're safe to talk about sand horses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtyM9mFMQQ

I love this scene. :allears:

e: In general, I have to say I'm disappointed in the pacing. It's a whole lot of book to fit into seven hours of television and it's losing a lot in the process.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Just watched episode 6 live on the BBC there. Holy moley, it was without doubt the best one of the series. Bertie Carvell as Jonathan Strange is pitch-perfect, special effects (though done on a shoestring) were amazingly effective, and the air of menace is building nicely.

Top character is Childermass, the Most Yorkshire Man in the World. He's great, his increasingly exasperated eyerolls as the upper-class twits keep on buggering things up are glorious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I felt the pacing of them really matches the length 7 hours sounds a bout right, it's a huge book but I actually can't remember any thing they've left out so far.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I felt the pacing of them really matches the length 7 hours sounds a bout right, it's a huge book but I actually can't remember any thing they've left out so far.

The footnotes.

Seriously though, the show has done a pretty good job representing the ominous presence the Raven King carries throughout the book despite not being in the actual main narrative.

e: The actor that plays Jonathan Strange is the standout performance to me. Drawlight and Norrell's actors are also perfectly casted.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 22, 2015

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
They have cut exactly the right amount, the acting is incredible, and I can't wait for the final episode

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This last episode with Jonathan going mad and then Eternal Night curse was phenomenal. Pictured exactly like I thought it would be.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hey someone made a thread for this.

This is my favorite book, so I've been super excited for the entirety of its production, including a certain amount of F5ing waiting for them to give an actual premiere date back in May.

In general, it's amazing. It's a lot less subtle than the books, so the characterization is a little more... On the nose? But then it has to be to fit in the time limits. (e.g. Jonathan, I feel, is more independent and rebellious ; the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair is more out-right menacing than just alien : this isn't really a criticism, mind, since I totally understand that they have 7 hours instead of 800+ pages to just let things develop)

Also, I've read the book an absolutely embarrassing number of times*, and the show made me realize a plot hole in the book that I'd never thought about (episode 5, I think, spoilers) :

How did I never notice that Jonathan didn't try to bring "Arabella" back to life?!?? He even knows that that's magic that can be done. I mean, yeah, he knows things later hosed up with Lady Pole, but he never he considers it in the book. What the hell?

*Like I said, it's my favorite book. I've been reading it once every year since it came out so... 11 times? Holy poo poo. I did not appreciate how many times I've re-read this book.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
I think the show has made Jonathan's characterization after the death of Arabella much, much stronger

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bwee posted:

They have cut exactly the right amount, the acting is incredible, and I can't wait for the final episode

Yeah, I think they really did an excellent job at adapting it. I'm going through the book again right now, and I'm surprised by how much of the book's dialog they include verbatim (even though the context is sometimes different and the dialog has a different meaning).

Minor episode 5 spoiler: I was happy with all of the changes they made to Waterloo. They probably saved on budget by not having lots of actual infantry squares vs. cavalry, and it was clever to just have everything take place at Hougoumont. Also, having Strange kill the man at the end of it (whereas in the book, he is only about to crush the life of the soldier and his horse before realizing it's ungentlemanly and hesitates, allowing someone else to kill him.) It fits better with the characterization of Strange in the show, gives more weight to his decision to leave London, and further proves just how different he is from Norrell

Bwee posted:

I think the show has made Jonathan's characterization after the death of Arabella much, much stronger

True. In the book, he just seems to complain about Lord Byron, and then just mopes around Italy with the tourists. The show really changes the pace by showing just how unhinged he's getting (his conversation in Jail), which gives purpose and motivation enough to allow him to get right to the Magic Business once he gets to Italy.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2015

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bwee posted:

I think I'd say iconic. He's equally distraught in the book, it's just purposely shown in a reserved Empire Era British way.

Also, are any Amerigoons actually going by BBC America for airing? I ain't.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I liked the book when I read it in high school, but for the life of me I can't recall a single thing that happened in it 10 years later. I think the Napoleonic Wars were involved somehow?

All the same, this looks like something I should watch, if only so that I can remember things.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Napoleonic Wars are the backdrop and Strange's involvement helps bolster his status in Britain.

I watched Episode 6, The Black Tower, yesterday. Great episode though I was hoping that The Raven King would appear at the very end. Even just a boot on a rock in the foreground or something, as foreshadowing. Next episode is gonna be amazing. I can't wait to see Strange figure out a way to outwit The Gentleman.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
One thing that seems to be missing so far. This might just be an error in my recollection though. Book spoilers, obviously. The book had a little more stuff in the world of faerie, like the woman in the tower and her Champion. This is important because if I remember right, this is how Lascelles gets his comeuppance.

Other than that, it's a stellar adaptation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The only problem I have (ep 2) is the Gentleman. They try way too hard to make him menacing. In the books he's scary precisely because he doesn't try to be menacing. Otherwise it's great so far.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 27, 2015

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I haven't read the book (though I definitely will be) and I'm really enjoying this. I wasn't entirely convinced by The Gentleman at first, but the last few episodes have really sold him a villain.

Though I do think that the broader social aspect of the plot is a bit lost for time. In episode 6 we have the luddite rebellion off screen, Strange talking about giving magic to poor men and women, the idea that Norrel has been keeping the grassroots magic down, all covered briefly or off screen.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Excellent casting choice for Thistledown Hair. As others have mentioned I wasn't sure about him but he's really grown on me.

COME STEPHEN!:allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Now that there's only one episode left I'm wondering if the series is gonna leave out a lot of book stuff. We'll probably see the Raven King in the next episode, but the stuff about Lascelles will probably be cut out, and a lot of the other, larger goings on in England outside of the main characters probably won't be covered.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ccs posted:

Now that there's only one episode left I'm wondering if the series is gonna leave out a lot of book stuff. We'll probably see the Raven King in the next episode, but the stuff about Lascelles will probably be cut out, and a lot of the other, larger goings on in England outside of the main characters probably won't be covered.

I'm thinking he'll probably still have some sort of comeuppance. The "reason" he's punished, after all, is still there. He's an awful person who makes this feud even worse.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm thinking he'll probably still have some sort of comeuppance. The "reason" he's punished, after all, is still there. He's an awful person who makes this feud even worse.

If they don't go the book route with Lascalles, I hope at the very least Childermass gets to sock him in his horrible sneery face. Poor Yorkshire lad, having to deal with that snobby tit for years on end.

My hope for the finale episode is that there is lots of Childermass eye-rolling. The actor has a magnificent way of conveying ten tons worth of weary annoyance at the stupidity of people around him with a mere lift of one eyebrow.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Best line in a show in a long time for me

"STEPHEN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THAT TINY ROOM?" *peers through jail door*

Great final episode, great adaptation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The last episode was good, and overall the series was very good. I was sad that it didn't end well for Arabella and Jonathan though. I wanted them to be happy, and now he's still trapped in some place. Though hopefully he and Norrell will figure out how to get out after a while. I liked that The Gentleman finally got his comuppance, and then fit a line about his hair looking like thistledown in.

Great mini-series, too bad it's only 7 episodes because I want more of these characters.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I watched the first episode of this on a whim, and then was completely sucked in. Finished the mini-series and now I am currently reading the book. I think the actors were all perfectly cast, I especially love the guy who is playing The Raven King's book.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

I watched the first episode of this on a whim, and then was completely sucked in. Finished the mini-series and now I am currently reading the book. I think the actors were all perfectly cast, I especially love the guy who is playing The Raven King's book.

His name's Paul Kaye and he's had a long and happy career playing filthy, disreputable, often quite drunk scuzzballs. He's very good at it, isn't he?

Loved his interactions with Childermass, would quite happily watch another series focused on those two.

I just got the VD of it today, to show my support of this kind of thing to the BBC.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

I hated the look of the guy playing The Raven King. He looked like a washed-up death metal musician.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I watched it with my Irish wife, who grew up reading fairy tales and whose mom and especially grandmother are terrified of fairies to this day.

Suffice to say she both really liked it and was TERRIFIED whenever the Gentleman was on screen.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Slanderer posted:

I hated the look of the guy playing The Raven King. He looked like a washed-up death metal musician.

haha no kidding

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm 4 episodes into this and am having a ton of fun with it. The production levels and world that's been created are pretty top notch.

If I had one criticism it would be the sense of time/scale. For example, Strange goes from meeting to Norrell to having seemingly spent months studying under him in the space of 10 minutes on the show. Ditto for Norrell arriving in London. He has gone from a nobody to having a mansion packed to the rafters with the Aristocracy in his honour all in the space of a few minutes.

I also don't like the dragging plotline for Stephen and wish the resurrected wife thing would conclude cause I feel really sorry for the character.

Question time though: Is this world/characters a new take an already established folklore/mythology in England or is it entirely a creation of the author?

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK
This series was perfect in every way (especially if you liked the source material).

quote:

Question time though: Is this world/characters a new take an already established folklore/mythology in England or is it entirely a creation of the author?

The folklore and mythology is largely a new creation, but both the historical setting (obviously) and a lot of the mood and tone of the book are created by an exhausting knowledge and study of not just the events of the time period but of the literary styles of the era. I don't think it would be remiss to say that Clarke owes a lot of the foundation of the novel to her fascination with Keats, Byron, et al.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This series has reminded me that I've never read the short story collection that Clarke's also written in this setting. Gonna have to fix that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was Stephen charmed/enchanted/trapped by The Gentlemen like Lady Pole and Arrabella (and if so, how?) or just hungry for that "You are the king" promise to come true?

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK

xcore posted:

Was Stephen charmed/enchanted/trapped by The Gentlemen like Lady Pole and Arrabella (and if so, how?) or just hungry for that "You are the king" promise to come true?

He's under enchantment as well. You bring up a good point in that I don't recall Stephen having made a bargain with the fairy in the same way that Norrell and Strange (unwittingly) have, the gentleman just kind of whisks him away as he wills.

Then again it's weird that Strange and even moreso Norrell have the power to gift away the freedom of Arrabella and Lady Pole, respectively. I'd be interested to see if anybody has posed the question to Clarke as to how this is allowed.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm sure the "rules" are explored in more detail in the books, but I had an issue with the Arrabella one based on the fact that it was a trick. I feel that logically, once it was realised it was a trick, the "contract" should become null and void. I realise I am talking about a made up world with goddamn fairys but it still bugged me.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I agree (I'm enjoying the miniseries and enjoyed the first half of the book before I lost the bag I had it in). Norrell not realizing how "half her life" would work treads the line of trick and contract well, but I'd think even faeries would have a problem with the conditions of the contract Strange made--like, the Gentleman would have had to announce himself as Strange's enemy first or something.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm reading the book currently, and if I remember correctly, it's interesting how differently the whole Moss Oak thing went down in the show.

As I recall, in the book The Gentlemen and Steven get the wood, then go away for a while. There are some mysterious sightings of a second Arabella, she goes missing one night, they find her, then she dies.

At the point I'm up to (shortly after Strange succeeds in summoning the Gentleman), there's been no explicit mention of a contract, the fact that Arabella's still alive, nor has Strange explicitly set out to revive her.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

xcore posted:

Can't remember how it is portrayed in the books, but in the TV show it's implied that when he shaves the Gentleman before his ball he is agreeing to enter his service.

Robotnik posted:

Then again it's weird that Strange and even moreso Norrell have the power to gift away the freedom of Arrabella and Lady Pole, respectively. I'd be interested to see if anybody has posed the question to Clarke as to how this is allowed.

It's pseudo-Victorian society and men have property rights over women. Why would the fairies be any more just than the society they reflect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I really like the show but why didn't they even try to explain the backstory specifically how this reality is different from our reality? The show just assumes you know who Raven king is, what impact he had on English history and rolls with that. Do all Englishmen know it from birth?
Anyway, after reading this - http://hurtfew.wikispaces.com/John+Uskglass everything makes much more sense, glad I did and recommend it to everyone who is interested in the show. There are no story spoilers on the page, just don't read any other articles.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2016

• Locked thread