Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/20/lakota-warriors-vow-to-crush-dirty-rainbow-hippies.html

The Rainbow Family, a loose-knit unorganized group of people who has summer gatherings, wants to hold their gathering this year in the Black Hills of South Dakota. There are two problems with this: 1. Rainbow Family gatherings have had more than a few bad incidents in the past, and even if they were on their theoretical best behavior, they create a lot of waste and strain on resources wherever they go. 2. The Black Hills of South Dakota are sacred to the Lakota Sioux, and at least some of them are more than a little annoyed that the Rainbow Family is planning to poo poo up their land.

I've talked to people who have had experience with the Rainbow Family, and I've heard plenty of bad things. It is not just a bunch of hippies hanging out, there is a lot of hard drug use, theft, and crime that seems to ride along with it. Its like the Gathering of the Juggalos, only with no one responsible.

Anyone have any Rainbow Family experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
calling people dirty as a derogative in an a legit article LOL

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
So is this like an Onion story or something? I can't figure out if it's true or not because it is that loving stupid.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wow online journalism has loving awesome writers

NOT!!!!!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

BigBoss posted:

So is this like an Onion story or something? I can't figure out if it's true or not because it is that loving stupid.

No, this is a real thing.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
wow the daily beast sounds angrier and stupider than the daily caller now, it looks like

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
The Lakota should just set up themselves like shamans, make up some bullshit, and charge a shitload of money for it.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

captainoblivious posted:

The Lakota should just set up themselves like shamans, make up some bullshit, and charge a shitload of money for it.

These are the type of hippies that don't have money, though. Otherwise, a pretty good idea.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that Indian guy comes off as a retarded idiot fucker

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
loaded the picture, kill them

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
"Hitler's freakout was out of character"

This article has great out-of-context quotes

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
What does Rocky Raccoon have to say about it?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've never heard of the Rainbow Family group before. According to a wikipedia page their origins are in the 1970's and they have chapters around the world?

What functionally differentiates this group from a more peaceful version of the juggalos?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Helical Nightmares posted:

I've never heard of the Rainbow Family group before. According to a wikipedia page their origins are in the 1970's and they have chapters around the world?

What functionally differentiates this group from a more peaceful version of the juggalos?

The fact that a more peaceful version of the juggalos would be more peaceful than the juggalos.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

What kind of hippies poo poo all over sacred native lands? Middle aged ones. That's who.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

What kind of hippies poo poo all over sacred native lands? Middle aged ones. That's who.

if they're actively loving things up for other people aren't they no longer hippies and instead are just middle aged burnouts?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Why don't more social subcultures get it in their head to gently caress with natives anyway?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
They used to camp out in central Idaho but someone ran them off or something, I gotta look that up

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Idiot Kicker posted:

They used to camp out in central Idaho but someone ran them off or something, I gotta look that up

how do you get run out of idaho did they come within 200 km of a potato farm and one of the five people who live in idaho got nervous

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I guess they weren't run off so much but the Forest Service was pissed because they take zero care of the land that they use. They haven't been back since '01 apparently.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

:captainpop:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Noblesse Obliged posted:

All hippies are pretty much useless parasites like gypsies or welfare queens.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
8000 square miles is a bit much to declare sacred. Maybe they should reserve a few hundred square miles.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Idiot Kicker posted:

you'd better look that up or you're going to get cut. you have 15 minutes

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

quote:

His T-shirt bore another message: portraits of warriors who had shellacked the U.S. Army in the Battle of Little Bighorn, alongside the words “Original Homeland Security.”
They didn't do a very good job though, did they?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
The Sioux should be able to kill as many trespassing hippies as they want, provided they use traditional methods.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Plus it's really weird to have a hippie gathering on a literal seabed of empty beer cans.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toriori posted:

They didn't do a very good job though, did they?

indians were generally pretty bad at protecting themselves from other indians so yeah when guns showed up it was pretty much over

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Robo Reagan posted:

indians were generally pretty bad at protecting themselves from other indians so yeah when guns showed up it was pretty much over

Yeah truth be told if they had guns they probably would have done some colonizing of their own, I'm pretty convinced it's human nature.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
But being a fair skinned mixed indigenous person do I sure roll my eyes when hippies get all offended over other non native people getting like...dream catcher tattoos.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Toriori posted:

But being a fair skinned mixed indigenous person do I sure roll my eyes when hippies get all offended over other non native people getting like...dream catcher tattoos.

ive been thinking about covering up my three wolf moon back tattoo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toriori posted:

Yeah truth be told if they had guns they probably would have done some colonizing of their own, I'm pretty convinced it's human nature.

well yeah, there was like 6 or 7 major tribes and they all loving hated each other. for whatever reason people think natives were somehow all living in harmony with nature and smoking peace pipes and doing indian magic but mostly they were murdering each other so they could live on better land/eat that night just like whitey

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Don't you dare !

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nobody's gonna want to scalp some lovely white people dreadlocks so I think they're safe

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agag posted:

The Sioux should be able to kill as many trespassing hippies as they want, provided they use traditional methods.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
so a group of hippies are creating a strain on resources...in the mountains of south dakota...are they using power tools and fracking for oil?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Agag posted:

This is the most fair and sensible option.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

if they end up going to Michigan instead i will totally go and probably keep gbs updated on how the hippies are hippying out this year.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Was this who that King of the Hill episode was based upon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

Nobody's gonna want to scalp some lovely white people dreadlocks so I think they're safe

the scalp would stink up the tent.

• Locked thread