Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

No Music.

I wonder if these eleven murders were all committed by different people, or if there's another serial killer around.

Eh?

Ee, whatever happened?

Never mind. Nothing important.

Ooh, spill the beans! This I've got to hear.

Brainwashing?

What are you doing with a dodgy-looking book like that?

And none of the hospital staff questioned this?

He never did!

And the result was that pathetic other side of me being born.

That's amazing. I can't believe it were such a success.

That's exactly what Al needs to hear right now.

A success?

Granted, I was very nearly dead. My mental faculties were severely impaired.

He had the perfect conditions to brainwash me.

Aye, it does look pretty naff, doesn't it?

Look at what I'm made of. A trashy schoolboy guide to mind games!

No! It can't be.

The Times is a British newspaper.

No, it can't be. You're right.

Hm?

Aye, a new mystery. And if there's a mystery to solve...

What are you talking about, Lucy?

We've got to investigate, Prof.

To find the great secret behind Placid Prof.

Don't be so sure.

But I have a mountain of paperwork stacking up. I really can't...

All that can wait.

Come on.

It's a cracking day out there. Perfect weather for solving mysteries!

Music Stops.

I get the impression Hershel and Al aren't on speaking terms.

I can't help but interpret this as Alfriendli running off to leave Lucy with all the paperwork as revenge for making him leave the office.

Bing's faithfully waiting for Potsby-Mahn.

Putting Florence in a lab with steps doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Strapping got demoted to a cleaning role, it looks like. Destiny Knox is still successful though, despite lying to the police.

Either this is a scene in the past, or Careta was allowed to go free after killing O'Logie.

Lucy's enjoying herself singing along to one of Dolly's songs. I hope Lucy is a better singer than Dolly was reported to be, but Al's expression seems to indicate otherwise.

True to his word, Uttar Mistry is ensuring that Barbarossa Sassina's memory lives on.

Dustin's not very subtle about listening into whatever Lucy is talking about.

Barton's still got his appetite. Chan looks happy to be a chef.

Carrière and de Bonair ended up in the same cell, discussing possible ways of escape. While Carrière thinks knocking the guard out or digging a tunnel with a spoon might work, de Bonair prefers to try either bribing the guard, or charming the guard into falling in love with him.

This makes me wonder if Makepeace was already a killer before the Jigsaw Puzzle murders.

The first time I saw this picture, I was thrown off by Dustin's presence, and was trying to work out why Doug would be crying about Justin before I realised it was Sniffer. It's quite sweet the way everyone is trying to cheer Sniffer up. Also, the door to the lab is either lower than usual, or Al is really tall.

:smith: All three of them seem pretty happy there.

Thanks to everyone that read the LP, it was a lot of fun to do. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
That's it? But that barely wraps ANYTHING up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a sequel hook more than anything, really. Or they ran out of time/money.
Good game throghout, wet fart of an ending.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

HydroSphere posted:

Thanks to everyone that read the LP, it was a lot of fun to do. :)

Yeah, you did good. :tipshat: I just didn't find the latter cases as interesting, especially the last one; I liked the swerve with seeming to set up Hilda as the conspirator and Diane killing somebody just to make Lucy's trial more authentic, but that was about it. It's also weird whenever games that are more or less realistically grounded suddenly have characters that basically have superpowers like Diane's Mistress of Disguise stuff, but that's a your-mileage-may-vary thing. :v:

Thinking about doing any other LPs, HS?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, that was certainly an ending.

Thanks for the LP. It was fun to follow. :)

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I just have one problem with this game.

What does it say about Hershel as a parent that Alfendi grew up to be like that?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DanielCross posted:

What does it say about Hershel as a parent that Alfendi grew up to be like that?

It was obvious the Hershel stuff (and the Layton name) was tacked on at the last minute to give the game more visibility and boost sales. Though honestly, given we've seen how poor Flora got treated in Pandora/Diabolical Box - left behind despite knowing full well she is afraid of being alone, and when they realized she got left in a previous town, he and Luke just kind of shrug going "Oh, she'll be okay playing with the farm animals", not giving a second's worry, he kind of showed some terrible judgment there.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Aww. I loved this LP, but I'm sad to see it end. It felt as if it could have gone on for longer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing this didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel?

Which is a shame, I kind of liked this cast of characters... and maybe we'd find out why Justin turned in the first place. Just his temperament? Jealousy of Alfendi? And why tie those murders to the Jigsaw killer? Is it implied he did them?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
yeah that is not an ending at all...

Good LP, though, thanks for doing it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it feels like they didn't really know how to wrap things up so they just rushed to some conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, uh, where does manipulating the kid for that statue come into this? I hope she has a good explanation.

This never is explained. It's possible that Diane didn't know that the statue had no monetary value (which seems unlikely, as apparently Sasucasa was well aware of that fact), or maybe she thought someone on the black market would be willing to pay for it.

My personal theory is that Diane wasn't actually interested in the statue; her goal was to kill O'Logie. Everyone else she kills, or has killed in the game are all part of her plan to avenge Keelan; the agent in case eight didn't have any ties to Keelan, but s/he was instrumental in the recreation of Pig's murder. I think Diane may have initially taken the statue either to help reinforce the belief in Careta's mind that a diablo was compelling him to commit the murder, or because she didn't want O'Logie to be credited with the discovery of the statue, even postmortem. There isn't really any evidence to support this though.

Wayne posted:

Yeah, you did good. :tipshat: I just didn't find the latter cases as interesting, especially the last one; I liked the swerve with seeming to set up Hilda as the conspirator and Diane killing somebody just to make Lucy's trial more authentic, but that was about it. It's also weird whenever games that are more or less realistically grounded suddenly have characters that basically have superpowers like Diane's Mistress of Disguise stuff, but that's a your-mileage-may-vary thing. :v:

I have to agree, I like the first half of the game more than the latter half (though I do like case seven). If the end answered more questions then I'd probably like the latter half of the game a bit more.

Wayne posted:

Thinking about doing any other LPs, HS?

Yes. :) I'm not sure when I'll be able to start my next LP though, my offline schedule got quite busy all of a sudden.

DanielCross posted:

With how surprised and offended Justin and Hilda act after some of Alfiendi's outbursts, and Barton even saying that Alfiendi wasn't Alfendi at the end of case six, I get the impression that the Al before he was shot may not have been quite as extreme as Alfiendi is.

I am curious about Al and Hershel's relationship though. I get the impression that Alfriendli doesn't want to have any contact with Hershel (I say Alfriendli, since Alfiendi never mentions Hershel as far as I know; he also doesn't object to being called Prof like Alfriendli does,) and I have to wonder, if that is the case, what could have happened to have caused that?

Robindaybird posted:

It was obvious the Hershel stuff (and the Layton name) was tacked on at the last minute to give the game more visibility and boost sales. Though honestly, given we've seen how poor Flora got treated in Pandora/Diabolical Box - left behind despite knowing full well she is afraid of being alone, and when they realized she got left in a previous town, he and Luke just kind of shrug going "Oh, she'll be okay playing with the farm animals", not giving a second's worry, he kind of showed some terrible judgment there.

When it was confirmed that Alfiendi was the original personality (or at least, much closer to the original than Alfriendli), the first thought in my mind was that maybe Al ended up that way because he felt abandoned or ignored when he was younger. If Level-5 ever did do anything that explains Al's personality though, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Hershel has next to nothing to do with the way Al turned out, given that Level-5 doesn't seem to like the idea of Hershel having any flaws.

Glazius posted:

I'm guessing this didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel?

Which is a shame, I kind of liked this cast of characters... and maybe we'd find out why Justin turned in the first place. Just his temperament? Jealousy of Alfendi? And why tie those murders to the Jigsaw killer? Is it implied he did them?

I don't know if Level-5 ever mentioned how well this game did in relation to their expectations?

I think Justin was telling the truth when he said he said he got involved with Keelan because some bad people were getting a little too powerful. I don't know if Justin had any bad feelings toward Al; my take on it was that even though it seems like Al never realised the evidence in the Jigsaw Killings was being tampered with until case eight, Al probably noticed that something wasn't quite right, which lead Justin's plan to have Al killed.

Something I've always questioned (on a semi-related note), is whether the reason Al went to Forbodium alone to confront Keelan really was because he was "trying to be a hero"? That scene could have just been intended as a hint that Alfiendi is the original personality, but it still seems a little unlikely to me that Al wouldn't have realised that going off alone to confront a serial killer in his hideout, even with a gun, is verging on suicidal. It wasn't a sudden rash decision that Al made either, Justin had planned everything out beforehand.

It's possible that Justin did commit the other eleven murders (although, in that case, why use Keelan at all? That seems like an additional risk for no reason,) or perhaps there was a link between the victims that Keelan killed for Justin, and Justin tampered with eleven unrelated murders at random to hide the link (which would mean that there's eleven killers on the loose), or there's another serial killer around that Justin was covering for, but that seems like a stretch.

• Locked thread