Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My completely-evidenceless theory:
The first shot on stage was the lethal one, Bray switched guns. The Destiny mimicked the scream and hit Bray. Bray and Destiny are working together to frame Roscoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

John Lee posted:

...Is he Johnny Depp?

Johnny Dapper going by that suit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's solved, guess we can go home now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still confused about how the squib went off before she was shot, though. Why include that detail if it was wrong? Why would Strapping feel like he needed to frame someone for this?

She was shot in the squib. Apparently blood and fake blood mix like oil and water.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I was wondering if Alfendi might get the other personality from his mother, but I don't think there's anyone in the Layton games who isn't female, over the age of 12, not related to Layton, and alive. Kinda puts a damper on figuring it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Hershel Layton reproduces by budding.

He releases spores every time he solves a puzzle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This sounds like something that could conceivably be this game's last case.

"This reminds me of a puzzle! Where has my son hidden the bodies?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think Mariana is the killer. Who needs to fake a call to the front desk when you can just lie about it and sound the alarm once you have the props set up?

Also, to get meta, her name is "marionettist."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Did anyone else but Mariana hear the phone? Because that's suspicious as hell.

Granted, that's the first place my mind went because I *just* watched an episode of Poirot where a guy pulled the "gosh detective, I'm on the phone with X and she's being murdered right now! I couldn't possibly be a suspect."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ponzicar posted:

When I played this game, I noticed a large number of people complaining about this game's bad grammar on the Google Play store, because they were too stupid to realize that the characters are speaking with English accents.

My dad's an immigrant so I grew up bilingual, English and American. Pain in the arse on spelling tests, I never understood why nobody else was spelling armour with a u.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Seems like one of those times when we have so much evidence that it's hard to know which they're looking for. The wire showing a need to fake posession? The prints-wiped axe? These parts always mess me up in Phoenix Wright games, I tend to jump too many steps ahead in my logic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hmm, it's muddy. Do we know when it rained?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

What is life like in this world? "This is my roommate, Pois o'Nerr. Don't worry, we're pretty sure it won't happen for another ten years and in the meantime he's a great cook."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Only Dread's fingerprints were found on the cup, not the tea lady's?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They do strange things in England, you don't see that anywhere else. *puts mayo on his french fries*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tea was misdirection, the poison was in the fax paper and absorbed through his fingers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

Are we... going to get a second crime scene simulation for how the tea lady died? Or are we somehow going to sleuth that one out through examining this scene?

I can never quite tell where this game is going.

Case closed. On to the next one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tax Refund posted:

Gotcha now! I don't know if we're going to be required to produce evidence that Mr. de Bonair was lying, but he just proved that he saw the perfume bottle before it was smashed to unrecognizable bits. And therefore, was the murderer. (That's circumstantial enough that it wouldn't hold up in any real court, but it's probably good enough for this game.)

Yeah, that's the Columbo moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I hope it closes with a Poirot finisher.

"And finally, we know it was you because your fingerprints were found on the poison bottle."
"That's impossible! I wore--"
"You wore gloves, monsieur."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Stupid question (that we need to wait for the story to answer), are the pieces all from the same puzzle? I assume SOMEBODY tried to put them together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

fractalairduct posted:

Unless the key to this case is the order the murders happened in, in which case it might be deliberately misleading.

Well the last victim (by case order) had his neck broken before burning, which suggests to me that the drug started to wear off and he put up some fight. That would imply he was the last victim.

I'm on the wrong device to go digging through the evidence but that gives me an odd idea. Is there any props to suggest a fifth murder was planned where the victim could have awoken and fled?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Three drugged glasses used by Sassina, Boyle and Fassi. Three plates on the table. The phone used to call a nearby box. The cap that goes with undrugged wine, a reciept for a bottle of wine but two in the room... here's my theory.

Agonni orders takeout for his goons, making sure to include red wine. He swaps the wine for drugged wine he brought, putting them to sleep. Then he calls an accomplice from outside, probably a woman given the pearls. They set up the Jigsaw murders, share a glass of undrugged wine, and then she betrays Agonni, strangling him and getting her necklace broken in the struggle. She burns him for the fourth murder, puts the undrugged wine in the takeaway box (grabbing the wrong cap in the process) and either hides or somehow leaves. Maybe under the bed?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is a very peculiar case. I'm very interested to know the why.

There were photos of the boss's family and we still have that call to a nearby phone booth. Possibly hostages?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Clearly the last two victims are Alfendi and Lucy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

What's wrong with the prof. in this scene? Is he motion sick? Regretting that he didn't order one of those for himself?

I don't think he likes people. I get the same way in crowds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The bathroom is behind a secret door? Is this place owned by Umbrella Corp?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Keelan Makepeace is dead while Dieane Makepease seeks revenge? That seems backwards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Now hold on, did Miss Marple ever have an "it were all of 'em" mystery? Poirot did the Orient Express.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is this something where we can pick the right culprit, or does it need us to step through each one as Lucy figured it out?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Delacroix posted:

Or perhaps he already lost his case and Alfiendi showed up to allegedly kill Keelan as an outcome of the investigation.

I think it's something simpler, like "if he'd been honest my dad would have just been arrested instead of killed."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looking like that? I certainly hope so.

anilEhilated posted:

I still think the game's name has to come into play somewhere.

Alfendi and Alfiendi.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, this is certainly taking a turn for the interesti-

:stare:

Commissioner Barton?

I believe it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, who was Barton again?

Sidekick constable from the Layton games. Liked sandwiches, if I recall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Since... it kind of reflects poorly on Hershel that Alfendi turned out to be a corrupt sadist with a fixation on violent crime.
Fits with some of the rest of his family though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If Hilda's view were flipped, that means not only that she would see the wound on the wrong side, but that she would see Justin on the East tower when he was really on the West. But that would mean the victims were on the East tower. Is there something on that side he could have set up as a decoy of Makepeace and Layton? Given the storm, "shot them early" does not seem like it would be difficult to hide.

• Locked thread