Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Tobias Grant posted:

Anyone know the name of the Battlebot that had a massive clown thing on top of it? I want to see that thing get shredded again.

Dr. Inferno Jr.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I really enjoyed last nights show. It was impressive how much carnage they managed to get in all the matches. I don't remember old seasons having as many bits flying off ever.

Even the in between fight parts aren't too bad.

Also none of the designs look like simple wedge bots. I wonder if that was in the rules this year?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Last Rites looks a lot like Marvel of Engineering.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mashed_penguin posted:

I really enjoyed last nights show. It was impressive how much carnage they managed to get in all the matches. I don't remember old seasons having as many bits flying off ever.

Even the in between fight parts aren't too bad.

Also none of the designs look like simple wedge bots. I wonder if that was in the rules this year?

Yeah, one of the new rules in the reboot is there has to be some kind of powered weapon, they can't just be a wedge.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Jesus Christ, Warhead got owned. Didn't even do anything cool like Nightmare did. It was just utterly beaten. I do like how Team Whyachi's new bot uses its weapons. Basically using kinetic energy of the spinner to power the flipper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pakled posted:

Yeah, one of the new rules in the reboot is there has to be some kind of powered weapon, they can't just be a wedge.

I wonder if anyone ended up skirting the rules with the lightest weapon they could to still be a wedge.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if anyone ended up skirting the rules with the lightest weapon they could to still be a wedge.

Warrior clan did it with three separate robots. :v:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Warrior clan did nothing and just watched Nightmare beat everything including itself. :rip: microbot you were "helping" with your flame then :stare:

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

GuavaMoment posted:

Dr. Inferno Jr.?

No, what I'm thinking of was a somewhat floppy doll thing on top of a robot. Really I just want to watch the fight where that thing got completely tore up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tobias Grant posted:

No, what I'm thinking of was a somewhat floppy doll thing on top of a robot. Really I just want to watch the fight where that thing got completely tore up.

Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street?

https://youtu.be/d0TXhZrb2GQ?t=193

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tobias Grant posted:

God this reminds me that someone literally brought in an RC car with legos to compete.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

The Glumslinger posted:

Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street?

https://youtu.be/d0TXhZrb2GQ?t=193

Closer, but still not quite what I'm thinking of. I think it was just a head and hands on it or something. I'll have to go searching through a wiki or something to find it again.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Tobias Grant posted:

Closer, but still not quite what I'm thinking of. I think it was just a head and hands on it or something. I'll have to go searching through a wiki or something to find it again.

Robot Wars Conquering Clown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4ENP9HBvc

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfT1mar7TyI

whoops, quote is not edit

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man, I was kinda skeptical on this reboot but holy poo poo that minibot exploding and getting flung across the box completely erased my fears. Good to see some of the old school teams are still around and battling in this new series as well. Kinda wish there'd be a return of Hazard but I suppose I can settle for the sheer awesomeness of Icewave and its gas powered deathblade :allears:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best battlebot was one where it had a spike attached to a garage door spring and would puncture any bot that got in range, anyone know the name of it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mashed_penguin posted:

This was why I stopped watching the older iteration of the show. It seemed like every bot was just a wedge trying to ram up under another wedge bot.

Call me atavistic but the wholesale dismantling of bots and poo poo really adds to the show for me. That loving minibot :stare:

e: I know having a 'real' walker type bot would probably be way too fragile for this kind of stuff, but Wrecks was just kind of embarassing. Plan X didn't even have a blade on the spinner, it was like a block of wood on each end but Wrecks just gave that match away.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 22, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I always loved Hypno-Disc. The bot had some obvious design flaws, but its weapon was cool and it could really wreck poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzraVXP-5KQ

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NowonSA posted:

and give the minibots literally any weapon because they seemed useless in the first fight. I'm sure explosives of any kind are banned, with good reason, but they seem like perfect suicide bombers.

"In the red box, he's not here to win, he's here to destroy you.... Jihad!"

*swarm of 8 minibots charge and blow opponent to hell*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WarLocke posted:

This was why I stopped watching the older iteration of the show. It seemed like every bot was just a wedge trying to ram up under another wedge bot.

Call me atavistic but the wholesale dismantling of bots and poo poo really adds to the show for me. That loving minibot :stare:

e: I know having a 'real' walker type bot would probably be way too fragile for this kind of stuff, but Wrecks was just kind of embarassing. Plan X didn't even have a blade on the spinner, it was like a block of wood on each end but Wrecks just gave that match away.

This is the design that Wrecks is based off of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxmJXRlsksY

Its cool because you need to put zero weight into moving your bot so it can all go into the blade. In theory, the force of the blade is enough to turn it and let it walk. Looks like it didn't scale up well

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 22, 2015

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If that silly bot with the led brain didn't get stuck wrecks would have done nothing to it. Its just too slow and hard to maneuver by the looks of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mashed_penguin posted:

If that silly bot with the led brain didn't get stuck wrecks would have done nothing to it. Its just too slow and hard to maneuver by the looks of it.

Speaking of brain bot, I thought it made for a nice decorative touch but it was weird how the show kind of tried to sell it as an actual feature.

I bet it scared some old people.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 23, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Speaking of brain bot, I thought it made for a nice decorative touch but it was weird how the show kind of tried to sell it as an actual feature.

I bet it scared some old people.

Yeah, it was odd seeing everyone mark out for the brain when it had to serve literally no function aside from decoration.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Plan X is actually sentient, and it knows it was lucky to win last night.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
same loving flipbots and wedgebots that made the original show stagnate into boredom

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WonderfulWino posted:

same loving flipbots and wedgebots that made the original show stagnate into boredom

Someone find that sony spaceman robot and put an axe in its hand

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Whole Internet posted:

Next episode is gonna have Last Rites. For those of you who haven't seen anything since battlebots or robot wars ended, and don't know what Last Rites is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpwI1KfEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCjlUIILyo0

It's a pretty big deal. Also, it doesn't have that flipping issue Nightmare has.

And then I lost a half hour of my life to watching videos of this thing, and that's a half hour I'm never getting back.

Last Rites is amazing, but the epic fail it has against Original Sin is :lol::lol::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlqG6c5tJ9U

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Watching that thing gently caress up wedges is really satisfying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flippers are cool if they're gas powered.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aphrodite posted:

Flippers are cool if they're gas powered.

If a flipper can't make a robot do at least a 720 it's basically metagaming bullshit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If a flipper can't make a robot do at least a 720 it's basically metagaming bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN24y-FJeMQ

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

There was one called The Big Cheese in the BBC series that was SERIOUSLY powerful, the entire bot was a giant flipper and hurled bots a good few feet in the air.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSGFVocp1M

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Well it didn't take long to figure out who was gonna win that one.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Well it didn't take long to figure out who was gonna win that one.

Pretty much all of Toro's fights went like that. Even the superheavyweight rumble where it just ran around flipping everyone over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsV-MEzHm4

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Watching the westcoast broadcast, and man Icewave looks as good as anything I remember from any of the previous seasons. Nice carnage out there

I don't think Icewave is going to make it too far though. Anything that is under its clearance like Warrior Clan, I think, will just gently caress its poo poo up. Also, the engine jutting out of the top of it looks like a liability, but IDK.

One bot I fondly remember, I think it's from the Robot Wars series was a bot with a large front facing shield and horizontal picks that swung all the way to the front to pin things so it could drop things into the pit. It was kinda bulky iirc and I think it was piloted by old ladies or something, but it's been probably more than a decade since I watched it on TV. I dunno why I thought it was interesting. Probably because it wasn't a flipper or wedge.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'm friends with the Inertia Labs guys, I got to go to the filming in Vallejo. Watched the Ice Wave fight live, that thing sounds so pissed off when it's fully spun up. What you don't see is the hour of soldering it took them before the drat fight actually went off.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Big Taint posted:

I'm friends with the Inertia Labs guys, I got to go to the filming in Vallejo. Watched the Ice Wave fight live, that thing sounds so pissed off when it's fully spun up. What you don't see is the hour of soldering it took them before the drat fight actually went off.

And then it caught on fire, ruining all that work. :v:

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Is this show real like wrestling is real or fake like that battle robots thing with George Lucas's daughter is fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Faithless posted:

Is this show real like wrestling is real or fake like that battle robots thing with George Lucas's daughter is fake

The picks are probably all from execs looking for impressive looking bots and teams with good stories. The fights, however, are as real as kite fighting

• Locked thread