Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Gonz posted:

Tombstone is basically unstoppable.

The only way to kill it is with plastic expolsives.

EDIT: Oh wait, poo poo. Just saw that UFO bot video.

it's already lost before to another bot by built by Donald Hutson who made lock jaw, who is also the same guy who made diesector. sure its devestating, but it's only got 2 wheels which makes it hard to drive according to old battle commentary. lock jaw on the other hand has six wheels and they are also on an angle which means good maneuverability. i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think Lockjaw, Bite Force, Stinger, and Overdrive stand some chance against Tombstone.

Doesn't mean they have an advantage. I just think they could fight it competently. I expect it to maul any other spinners, and it kinda looks like it could do the same to Bronco.

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

You say that I think it's you, but I don't agree with that.
That Complete Control/Ghost Raptor match was certainly a bit of a farce. Slightly annoyed they had to fall back on "Well it's always been like that" as a excuse, no, you have to go by the current rules on the day. Entanglement weapons set a bad precedent, if you want to see less spinners and more wedges, because some net will just render them useless anyway so why bother with a spinner, then sure, more nets! Right decision in the end though, Ghost Raptor could actually move and was the aggressor for most of the match.

I'm glad my local boys Radioactive got through (I'm from the same town as them), although the fact they had to speed up the footage of the axe blows probably doesn't bode well for them in the next round.

Overhaul was being a bit prissy regarding that late hit. If it had actually done any damage then fair enough, but all it did was make Lockjaw look bad. Very close match though and i'm glad Overhaul are back in as a wildcard. What happened to Overhaul's weird walking system though? It was supposed to have cam drive.

Looking forward to next week, should certainly be interesting.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Holy poo poo Tombstone and Bronco own. I also like Lockjaw, its weapon design is really neat.

Personally I'm glad Witch Doctor got a wild card, it's a cool-looking bot and Bronco loving wrecked it before we got to see it do much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's cool to see so many flame weapons now. Complete Control's flamer looked particularly nasty and I could imagine it would have incinerated it's opponent if it were able to get a good grip. Vodoos mimibot also had an impressive looking one that was able to score several hits before vodoo got counted out.

So far while it's cool seeing minibots they don't seem to accomplish much. Everybody seems to go with a main bot and mini bots, instead of, say two 125lb bots.

Horizontal spinners seem like the new metagame; the damage they inflict is horrific.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Am I mistaken or has every single bot that uses fire lost so far?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now that they also have gas powered engine robots, they really need to get pitted against flamethrower robots because God drat if I don't see one robot burst into flames and explode as some epic finisher I will be very disappointed.

Hoping Plan X goes up against Warrior Clan for some 3v3 goodness!

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Nope, Warrior Clan won, and it's minibots had fire I think.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Blue Canary posted:

Nope, Warrior Clan won, and it's minibots had fire I think.

I'd put it out there that they only won because Nightmare is a massive :derp: machine that beats itself as badly as it beats other robots. Also the flaming minibot got one shotted by Nightmare.

I'm sad that Nightmare missed out on a wildcard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mashed_penguin posted:

I'd put it out there that they only won because Nightmare is a massive :derp: machine that beats itself as badly as it beats other robots. Also the flaming minibot got one shotted by Nightmare.

I'm sad that Nightmare missed out on a wildcard.

I think Nightmare deserved a wildcard more than Warhead or Witch Doctor. :mad:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Pakled posted:

I think Nightmare deserved a wildcard more than Warhead or Witch Doctor. :mad:

Warhead seems like an overhyped POS compared to some of the other designs. I think they gave witch doctor a pass because it had really bad luck getting flipped out so early.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

mashed_penguin posted:

Warhead seems like an overhyped POS compared to some of the other designs. I think they gave witch doctor a pass because it had really bad luck getting flipped out so early.

Why didn't they stick with using Razer instead of warhead? It had a unique weapon that could have done a real number to many of these robots.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Are untethered projectiles now allowed? Even if they are, the problem is going to be dealing enough damage to be worth it.

What about using induction coils to try to "cook" the other robot to death?

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Why didn't they stick with using Razer instead of warhead? It had a unique weapon that could have done a real number to many of these robots.

I believe it's been retired for quite some time now and it would flat out not survive nowadays. It was made for Robot Wars where spinners weren't as much of a threat, rather flippers were the problem.

Warhead, on the other hand was made with Battlebots in mind, unfortunately it was made with Battlebots in mind roughly 15 years ago now and quite frankly it hasn't aged well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Warhead gets a pass for jobbing like a champ while Nightmare gets nothing. :cmon:

Panfilo posted:

Razer would get obliterated by the number of horizontal spinners nowadays. It was slow and that arm on top is a nasty target. It was great at loving up wedges though.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Warhead owns, gently caress the haters :colbert:

Glad it got a wildcard. It actually wrecked poo poo back in the day, kinda hope they get the kinks worked out and start ruining bots again. Plus, it just looks so goddamn cool :h:

Also glad the judges sided with Ghost Raptor. CC's net move was lovely, no matter how you look at it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

T1g4h posted:

Warhead owns, gently caress the haters :colbert:

Glad it got a wildcard. It actually wrecked poo poo back in the day, kinda hope they get the kinks worked out and start ruining bots again. Plus, it just looks so goddamn cool :h:

Also glad the judges sided with Ghost Raptor. CC's net move was lovely, no matter how you look at it.

Nah it owned.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder if ghost raptors spinner will manage more than one hit in its next fight.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Was Complete Control's net present just some troll move? I can't see them thinking that it would fly.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

KyloWinter posted:

Nah it owned.

Yeah, if you like cheesedick tactics and turning fights into shoving matches :v:

I'd rather have fights with spinners tearing poo poo apart and flinging bits and pieces across the box personally.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mashed_penguin posted:

I wonder if ghost raptors spinner will manage more than one hit in its next fight.

I hope not. The race to the bottom that was its fight against CC was hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Slate Action posted:

The only one that looked like the fire would do anything more than look cool was complete control's torch (which seemed to run dry pretty quick). All the other ones looked like they were farting lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol and those kinds of flames spread out as wide as they were for as short a time won't do poo poo to a robot not made of tissue paper.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Was Complete Control's net present just some troll move? I can't see them thinking that it would fly.

He said he read the rule book and noticed that the normal rule against nets and other tangle weapons weren't in it like normal.

Also am I the only one that thinks the Battlebots arena sucks? The teams controlling the hazards seem not know when to work them. Don't think I've seen those buzzsaws or spikes pop up yet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I guess he was having issues with the motor or something because I saw it repeatedly fire the torch without being anywhere near the other robot.

Based on all the robot fights I've seen, robots are more likely to set THEMSELVES on fire via electrical shorts or motor overheats. Icewave was smoking pretty fierce after its victory, for example.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

KungFu Grip posted:

He said he read the rule book and noticed that the normal rule against nets and other tangle weapons weren't in it like normal.

Also am I the only one that thinks the Battlebots arena sucks? The teams controlling the hazards seem not know when to work them. Don't think I've seen those buzzsaws or spikes pop up yet.

I actually don't like that robots can suffer a 'ring out'. It's one thing if a bot can flip another and render it helpless, but getting hung up on the edges of the arena has screwed over many competitors.

Those augers are now a serious hazard, since they can pull robots up into a position where they can't get back down or upright.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ultimate battle bot would just be a that diamond plated steel in a pyramid shape with a dollar store water gun on the top on a gimbal so I could aim it into the electronics of my enemies.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

KungFu Grip posted:

Nah you're not the only one. Why are they letting the teams control it this time? It was better when they had some random guy who wanted to gently caress up both robots. Also agreed that it's dumb that the robots can fly out of the arena.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

KungFu Grip posted:

I think they said the teams only control the hammer hazards this year? The the guy controlling the other pop-up hazards is only supposed to use them on robots that aren't being aggressive, or are being pushed into the hazards. It's not his job to decide matches all on his own.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GuavaMoment posted:

I think they said the teams only control the hammer hazards this year? The the guy controlling the other pop-up hazards is only supposed to use them on robots that aren't being aggressive, or are being pushed into the hazards. It's not his job to decide matches all on his own.

Apparently lovely contract work is deciding matches, I think the contest could handle a few more spikes and saws.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh hey someone on Reddit emailed the producers about not knowing what the rules are so they ended up emailing him a copy of the rules and he was dumb enough to post it online.

http://www.docdroid.net/152oj/battlebots-2015-design-rulesrev-11a.pdf.html

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

I heard somewhere the floor hazards weren't actually on for the qualifiers, but now it's the round of 16 things should get more interesting as they get turned on. The hazards are all computer controlled aswell according to the preview video. So no more Nightmare vs Son of Whyachi fuckups.

Also that's a very vague ruling of prohibited weapons. If they wrote down "Entanglement devices" there would have been no problem.

Blue Canary fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blue Canary posted:

I heard somewhere the floor hazards weren't actually on for the qualifiers, but now it's the round of 16 things should get more interesting as they get turned on. The hazards are all computer controlled aswell according to the preview video. So no more Nightmare vs Son of Whyachi fuckups.

Also that's a very vague ruling of prohibited weapons. If they wrote down "Entanglement devices" there would have been no problem.

The rule is vague, but they obviously knew they were violating it in spirit. Which I suppose makes it all the more heelish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blue Canary posted:

It says "and such" which is clearly very specific :colbert:

No, seriously, though, that's a lovely way to write rules. Ostensibly, building a bot with a passive entanglement device (like covering the outside with a net or mesh) would be within the rules as it's not a weapon by their definition (see: 7a) and is not on the banned construction materials list. The rules don't say anything about approving the other modular components of the bot, though I assume that they would and that may have been grounds to nullify Complete Control's match if the net wasn't an approved modular component.

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say though. Mayhaps they're still active Goons and they'll come out after the show is done airing to talk about stuff.

Edit: A body mesh might still be outside the spirit of the rules, fwiw, but still seems totally legal by RAW

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 29, 2015

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: A body mesh might still be outside the spirit of the rules, fwiw, but still seems totally legal by RAW

Pretty sure you just triggered some sort of warhammer 40k rule fight flashback with that RAW acronym. :suicide:

The net box was pretty funny to see go down. The only thing better would be a box full of ball bearings :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So I read this part in the rulebook:

keevo posted:

Bot Control:
You must have reliable remote control over all of your bot’s functions and positions. Autonomous functions in the bot are acceptable provided you are able to remotely disable or override those functions at any time

They must be afraid of one of the bots stopping the fight and yelling ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!? before starting the robot revolution :awesomelon:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DarklyDreaming posted:

So I read this part in the rulebook:

They must be afraid of one of the bots stopping the fight and yelling ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!? before starting the robot revolution :awesomelon:

Their true fear is of comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxsJaOa900

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, that complete control didn't win on decision or that that lovely fuckin' witch doctor bot got in on the wild card over it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:byodood: Now its blind and mad! :byodood:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I would say that the box and net would fall under this category of banned weapons

quote:

Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves.

plus this one bans it in spirit

quote:

Squirting glue, throwing out fishing line, ball bearings and such

Though this is a pretty good catchall for any missed bullshit

quote:

These rules may change at any time with or without specific notice to you. Any changes made to these rules will be noted in a revised Design Rules document. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to read, understand, and comply with any and all rules provided herein or otherwise by BattleBots. It is strongly encouraged that you check the Design Rules often for any changes that may affect your design, build, and/or ability to compete in the Tournament. BattleBots reserves the right disqualify any team from the Tournament for any reason (including, without limitation, failure to meet safety and/or technical requirements) in its sole and absolute discretion

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

they wrapped the net up like a loving christmas present though, it was beautiful :allears:

• Locked thread