Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Some of you might be thinking "hmm, Complete Control sounds familiar for some reason."

This is why:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

I was so psyched to see this back. And glad of the rule changes so the fights don't just end with flips or nothing happening.

That said, I really really wish Buddy Lee was coming back, that stupid thing never failed to make me laugh my rear end off.

One of the main people behind Buddy Lee was part of the team that made Sweet Revenge- http://battlebots.com/robots/sweet-revenge/

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

I strongly prefer bots that self right in an energetic method using their weapons.

https://youtu.be/pKcxtoiEbRg?t=1m29s

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Season 2 of BattleBots will be taping from the 19th-24th and I'll be leading a team called the Chaos Corps. We've got our main bot, Bombshell, which has modular weapons that we'll swap based on who we're fighting, and Short Fuse, a 10lb quadcopter with a flamethrower.

https://www.facebook.com/ChaosCorps/

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Pakled posted:

I thought the bots were required to have some sort of automatic shutoff when they lost their control signal specifically to prevent stuff like Invader spinning forever after the match is over.

The contactor they use to turn the motor on and off welded itself into the on position.

Great Beer posted:

Better question, what was up with the arm mounted flamethrowers on Complete Controls guy? :black101:

They were pretty awesome. Watching them convince the safety people to allow wrist mounted flamethrowers was fun.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Did they just have to let the battery run down then, or what?

Yeah, from what I recall it took about 45 minutes for the bot to stop.

For those who have watched the teasers closely, you may have noticed Complete Control and Bombshell fighting. We were also pitted next to each other. A great deal of fun was had between the two SA associated teams.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Not sure if ours is the one you're talking about, but the shell is a custom carbon fiber layup.

Also, Bombshell Vs. Complete Control is scheduled to be part of the season premiere on June 23rd.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Gromit posted:

I hope we get to see some photos of what Complete Control did to Bombshell's insides.

https://www.facebook.com/ChaosCorps/posts/996851620411523

Put up some post fight photos on the team Facebook page.

http://www.chaoscorps.org/bombshell-vs-complete-control-pre-fight-activities-strategy-and-post-fight-analysis/

Here's a write-up that goes into all the pre-fight stuff that didn't make the show.

MikeNCR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 27, 2016

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. I imagine that's where a huge chunk of the bot cost is--not just in development and fabrication, but getting extras of everything you can.

I mean, if you were Bombshell and did well enough to do a wildcard slot, but still had all your internals extra-crispy with no way to fix it, you'd be pretty disappointed.

We got pretty lucky there. I think in total we replaced about $30 in electronics and a few wheels after the match. It just happened to be that the things that did melt were rather necessary to the robot moving.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think it was Thursday - Sunday this year. I was there Friday night and got to see some really good fights (but mainly a lot super quick, violent knockouts).

Fri-Mon were prep/inspection/photography
Tues-Wed were the qualifiers
Thurs was a repair day/day off
Fri-Sun were round of 32-finals

Edit:

Robnoxious posted:

Where (and when) did this poo poo go down?
On the ABC lot?

I would have loved to have collected some tix and gone but I just assumed they were gonna roll tape up in Marin County or wherever they held it last year up in NoCal.

Season 2 was filmed at LA Hanger Studios in the middle of April. (http://www.lahangar.com/)

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

It's good that Lockjaw got the Wildcard, but Disko was totally robbed. I understand that pushing and control is rated less than active weapon aggression, but it shouldn't rate that low relatively speaking I think.

The big killer has been losing weapons. Damage, control, and strategy are 1 point each. Aggression is 2 points, and you can only score aggression by using an active weapon.Losing a weapon early means you're essentially giving up both aggression points unless you utterly dominate the fight from then on.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PBS Newshour posted:

I mean, Chomp is pretty lovely if you are going off what we saw in the match, but once you know all the stuff behind the scenes its like "oh yeah that is actually a pretty cool bot"

It would be nice if the show could go even a bit more into how the bots are built, its kinda surprising the amount they already do but it would be nice to see more.

We were pitted fairly close to chomp and having had the chance to really take a close look it is absolutely one of the best engineered bots at the event. The CG's surprisingly low (all the light stuff is up high) and the whole hammer mechanism is beautiful. The hits it put out in the Disk O Inferno match were only a taste of what it's capable of. The team had a ~3/4" steel plate bolted to a tire to use for target practice. By the time they were done testing the steel plate was visibly bowed and heavily gouged from the hammer impacts.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What bot was yours?

I'm the team captain for the Chaos Corps with Bombshell. We went heavy on the modular weapons:

MikeNCR fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 5, 2016

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is awesome. I hope to see more of you guys in the event. Where are you based out of, and what events do you attend outside of BB? I do a lot of work with FIRST robots and keep on thinking about the possibility of getting into robot combat.

How did you get started?

The team is based mostly out of the Atlanta area and is made up of a bunch of Robot Battles ( http://robotbattles.com/ ) regulars. Beyond Robot Battles events I'll typically run up to Harrisburg, PA for Motorama each year, and just about any event within a 4 hour drive of Atlanta. There's a good bit of crossover between FRC teams and combat builders and the transitions not too bad. It's probably worth taking a look at http://sparc.tools/ and http://www.buildersdb.com/index.asp to see if there are any upcoming events near you.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Grognan posted:

You were toasted by complete control right? What was broke on the bot?

A couple pwm cables had the insulation melt off and were shorting against the positive lead, which kept the drive from responding to the radio. Replaced about $30 in parts (including the receiver and mixer to be safe) and the bot was as good as new.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I just discovered that BattleBots is running its own fantasy league.

It reads a little more like a daily fantasy setup, which makes me wonder if DraftKings does anything for the show.

I'd be surprised to see anyone bring money into a BattleBots fantasy league since the whole event was filmed in April.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

For those wondering, the saw on Red Devil cut directly into Witch Doctors lipo battery.

Amusingly enough, Jerome, the builder of Red Devil, had this happen a few years ago at Motorama in Harrisburg, PA with a 30lb bot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfcKp99dFo&t=49s

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Has a hammerbot ever really worked? It doesn't seem to do all that much damage.

They've worked across a pretty wide range of weight classes, it's mostly down to getting them dialed in for the style of hammering you're going for. I tend to lean toward less power per swing, but able to swing much more often in an attempt to find something important. Usually that something is a drive chain/belt.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

This weeks BattleBots is being pushed back to next week due to this: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/17026488/president-obama-hold-race-relations-town-hall-espn-abc-thursday

Also, this is primarily of interest to Toadstyle, here's the weapon we're using against Cobalt in a few weeks:

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm all for race relations but I'd much rather watch Battlebots.

On the plus side, pushing it back a week speaks more for their confidence in the show than just shoving it to a random open slot later that night/Friday.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Coaaab posted:

I'm really only disappointed because I was curious how those millions of views of Blacksmith vs Minotaur would've translated to Nielsen ratings.

Best thing that can be done at this point is to share videos/pics/gifs on social media and try to keep it on peoples minds so they know to tune in on the 21st.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm just some guy with no mechanical engineering / physics background but wouldn't making ringmasters chassis out of one piece of metal like that cause problems if it were ever seriously damaged and became warped?

It seems like instead of having a box you need to replace the sides of or a framework you need to replace the damaged portions of, you have a single unit that becomes essentially destroyed if enough warping / damage happens to the outside radius?

One odd quirk of how they made the chassis is that it's really expensive to do one, but the cost for a second chassis is pretty minimal beyond material cost, so they actually had a full second frame that was ready to have components transplanted into it should the first chassis be damaged beyond repair.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Most of my engineering education had to do with steel, aluminum and iron so I'm not exactly abreast on the structural properties of magnesium besides them making great brakes. I'm actually curious as to why they picked that over something like steel which would be more durable and less likely to ignite. (I know why they didn't pick titanium since that might be the optimum metal in this case).

It's a very light metal with a good strength to weight ratio and machines reasonably well. It's very much one of those materials where it's a good option if you're not worried about the cost.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PBS Newshour posted:

do u guys think the future duels will come back but u defend ur honor with robots

Well, my wife and I have fought at smaller events quite a few times.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

If anyone wants to know what was up with Bombshell take a look at: http://www.chaoscorps.org/bombshell-vs-red-devil-pre-fight-activities-strategy-and-post-fight-analysis/

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Called two and would have likely gotten the Bronco fight right had Razorback not landed on its side. Bombshell was a surprise but I learned about reflowing solder so that's cool.

What connections does Bombshell use now? Anderson?

We'll be switching to Anderson's for next time.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You probably already know this, but a miniature zip tie works great to keep the connectors together.

I tend to wrap connections with electrical tape. The failure was the wire itself detaching, not the connector, so that wouldn't have made the difference. We did end up using zip ties as part of our wire stress relief method to fix the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Depending on the Anderson they have a tendency to pop out by themselves (this is in FRC so I would assume combat robots would be even worse). Electrical tape would also work, I just like the positive security the tie offers plus it's easier to replace.

Do you guys do any STEM outreach stuff like FIRST?

We've been involved in maker faires in the southeast for a while, I've also done some talks centered around robotics at maker spaces and schools in the past. A few of us were on FRC teams in the past and a fairly large portion of the group either is currently or was at one point involved in scouting as well. My main focus right now is growing the robot combat community in the greater Atlanta area.

• Locked thread