Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

the more and more we get into the season for both of these the more I am expecting them to actually be taking place in the same universe

I've seen very little Dark Matter but I tend to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. I didn't even realize it but you hit the nail on the head. Claudia is pretty much the best "kickass space babe" ever and I've been unconsciously comparing Dutch to Aeryn.

It snuck up on me too. Dutch seemed familiar but not quite then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0pUvtbees0

Looks like the direction they want to head in. Interested to see if they can pull it off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Erghh posted:

It snuck up on me too. Dutch seemed familiar but not quite then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0pUvtbees0

Looks like the direction they want to head in. Interested to see if they can pull it off.

My earlier comment still stands. Dutch feels like a kid wearing mom's clothes.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I find it very odd that they are meant to regularly capture or transport very dangerous people yet never thought to install some sort of brig or cage on the ship. That and some internal security measures.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rhyno posted:

My earlier comment still stands. Dutch feels like a kid wearing mom's clothes.
Aeryn Sun is a hard act to follow. There's a few things the actress should be doing to act more badass. I think she looks really goofy when holding her space gun, especially when intimidating someone. She needs to hold that poo poo one-handed more often, especially when she's just facing off a bunch of people with no way to fight back.

I think her fighting D'Avin was fine, I didn't mind her not really being too badass because it is a bit of a surprise to her in the moment. Other times, I dunno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sober posted:

Aeryn Sun is a hard act to follow. There's a few things the actress should be doing to act more badass. I think she looks really goofy when holding her space gun, especially when intimidating someone. She needs to hold that poo poo one-handed more often, especially when she's just facing off a bunch of people with no way to fight back.

I think her fighting D'Avin was fine, I didn't mind her not really being too badass because it is a bit of a surprise to her in the moment. Other times, I dunno.

There's a tiny bit in the credits, just before the word KILLJOYS scrolls up where the cast is walking towards the camera and it illustrates my problem with her. She really does look like a little kid half the time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I think that actual shot was in this episode. She looks like she's just strolling along.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The thing I have most trouble with is the lyrics to the "theme song", I can't understand what the woman vocalist is saying. Me and my other half just mumble along to it.

edit everything else is fine.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 5, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spookygonk posted:

The thing I have most trouble with is the lyrics to the "theme song", I can't understand what the woman vocalist is saying. Me and my other half just mumble along to it.

edit everything else is fine.

I can't say I like any of the music in this show honestly. It's not out of place but I could do without it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

IRQ posted:

I can't say I like any of the music in this show honestly. It's not out of place but I could do without it.

I like all of the music except the title credits, but they're short enough. It probably depends on how much you like indie alt rock.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was more referring to the obnoxious techno wub wub stuff. The rest is inoffensive enough.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
At least they're trying to do something different with the music in this show, I can't help but feel like I'm watching some generic medical procedural when I hear the "music" in Dark Matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The guy who created Dark Matter also was a showrunner on SGU. He probably got shell shocked from the backlash for the music in that show.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's still nowhere near as bad as the Star Trek: Enterprise theme song.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously convinced that more than any other factor killed interest in the show. I bet all those people that tuned in for the first episode got stuck around for the opening teaser and checked out after the intro. Rod Stewart or the guy they used to cover him isn't even some capital offense on it's own, it's just... a total WTF choice for a Star Trek series theme that I can't explain.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Death by super acid rain is pretty :black101: Also setting up for class war!

I love that their trust issues weren't resolved in one episode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I like this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Death by super acid rain is pretty :black101:

Not only was it acid rain, but it was electrically charged acid rain.

The most metal planet ever.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Still liking this show, but honestly the class war between Qresh and its moons, the corporatocratic/generational/landowner hierarchy, and the masochistic religion intertwined with a liberation movement seems like it could make even a more awesome show by itself.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's cute how both this show and Dark Matter have the dystopian nightmare future where everything is owned and run by rich people and most everybody else eats poo poo but neither one appears to have the balls to tackle these issues directly

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tighclops posted:

It's cute how both this show and Dark Matter have the dystopian nightmare future where everything is owned and run by rich people and most everybody else eats poo poo but neither one appears to have the balls to tackle these issues directly

For that, there is always Continuum.

Pretty sure they've been tackling it a good deal in this show though, it's just that the main characters aren't connected to it in any way and are powerless to do anything about it - they're all from somewhere else and implicitly belong into an organization which is dedicated to being 100% neutral. I don't think they've shied away from showing how lovely the system is, just look at what we got in this episode.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Tighclops posted:

This show has spent multiple episodes doing just that.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
So Firefly in reverse? Instead of rebels turned fixers/whatever it's going be our plucky band turned into the van guard of the revolution because they just can't sit on the sidelines anymore. :ussr:

That could be fun.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

This show has spent multiple episodes doing just that.

You know what, you're right. Killjoys seems more interested in addressing these issues as more than just set dressing, I guess it's too tempting to try to equivocate it with Dark Matter in my mind.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tighclops posted:

You know what, you're right. Killjoys seems more interested in addressing these issues as more than just set dressing, I guess it's too tempting to try to equivocate it with Dark Matter in my mind.

Why are people doing that anyway? Are they by the same makers or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No they aren't. They are just on the same night on the same channel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Death by super acid rain is pretty :black101: Also setting up for class war!

The public works department has many duties including hosing down a area after execution by acid rain.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Pretty weird to hear the Strike Back theme song opening this episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Pretty weird to hear the Strike Back theme song opening this episode.

Way too many things use Short Change Hero in their soundtrack

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really liked that fact that there solution was to just ultimately break the device rather than sort out their feelings and trust issues in a ham fisted way.

I think I might have missed a couple of details but what was the significance of the company planning poo poo in Westerly?

I thought they already owned everything in the Quad and given that Westerly is a shithole and most people have problems even leaving it, it all seems kind of pointless unless they were planning on purging the place to prevent an uprising.

We've had the episodes with the land rights, the DNA weapon and the revelation that the company can now turn soldiers against themselves so before this, I would have thought the overall plot was about parts of the Nine/the Company, making a move on itself so they could have a bigger share of everything, not really the beginnings of a class war.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kegslayer posted:

I think I might have missed a couple of details but what was the significance of the company planning poo poo in Westerly?

I thought they already owned everything in the Quad and given that Westerly is a shithole and most people have problems even leaving it, it all seems kind of pointless unless they were planning on purging the place to prevent an uprising.

We've had the episodes with the land rights, the DNA weapon and the revelation that the company can now turn soldiers against themselves so before this, I would have thought the overall plot was about parts of the Nine/the Company, making a move on itself so they could have a bigger share of everything, not really the beginnings of a class war.

It's probably due to all the 7th Generation contracts coming due. The company is going to kick off a rebellion with some false-flag bullshit and then use it as cover to cull all the late generation Westerlins.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
"What if it just stopped?"
"Why the hell not?"

*stomp* *stomp*

Perfect solution to the problem. No technobabble, no deus ex machina, and the dialogue to match.

And in the end, things aren't happy, they aren't fixed, and there are repercussions for everything that happened, and will continue to be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Conversely it's not a big pile of angst, they actually talked through their problems and realized "Yeah we have problems, we probably shouldn't work together for a bit.". So things are both not instantly wrapped up, but neither is it a massive deal that they aren't wrapped up.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I know I bitched a lot in the early thread -- really I was hoping someone saw some aspect of the early eps I didn't -- but I really liked the last couple episodes. I think they're seeming more like people and less like piles of tropes with windowdressing. So does the setting.

Despite mind control being a terribly shallow mechanic, it was handled well enough that there was actual emotional conflict. This conflict did not feel shallow, in fact it was revealed to be difficult to resolve; not tidied up. Johnny quit letting people push him around and pigeonhole him into fixing their issues. That felt like actual growth. He also actually came across more badass than Dutch when he shot those guys, cause you can tell he tried very hard to avoid it and regretted it deeply.

Hot Doctor needs to give Johnny some pussy. I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings. Then again, I think Dutch has been a mother surrogate, he loves taking care of damaged women. Then again, Oedipus. Thus, we need hot doctor.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jon Do posted:

I know I bitched a lot in the early thread -- really I was hoping someone saw some aspect of the early eps I didn't -- but I really liked the last couple episodes. I think they're seeming more like people and less like piles of tropes with windowdressing. So does the setting.

Despite mind control being a terribly shallow mechanic, it was handled well enough that there was actual emotional conflict. This conflict did not feel shallow, in fact it was revealed to be difficult to resolve; not tidied up. Johnny quit letting people push him around and pigeonhole him into fixing their issues. That felt like actual growth. He also actually came across more badass than Dutch when he shot those guys, cause you can tell he tried very hard to avoid it and regretted it deeply.

Hot Doctor needs to give Johnny some pussy. I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings. Then again, I think Dutch has been a mother surrogate, he loves taking care of damaged women. Then again, Oedipus. Thus, we need hot doctor.

I liked that total lack of judgement with the doctor's drug problems.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I think it was either not considered too terrible a lapse, given the circumstance... or it's in-character with the 'maintaining damaged women' bit involving scoring drugs for (assumedly) his mother.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jon Do posted:

I think D'Avin having his memory unwiped and going full terminator was supposed to be that turning point in the show. I think most shows do have that around this point in their run, and it's about the proper distance for a show like this to start trying to do it. I'm honestly fine the first 5 or 6 episodes were just fun warrants-of-the-week kind of stuff to get everyone acclimated (writers, cast, audience, etc). I don't think everything that happened in the past 2 episodes really could've worked out as well in every respect if they didn't put in the time, honestly.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jon Do posted:

I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings.

God I hope not. Their relationship is my favorite one in the show.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

God I hope not. Their relationship is my favorite one in the show.

Yeah, it's one thing for the creator of the show to say "There aren't enough platonic friendships in media, so there won't be a love triangle here," and another for having enough scenes where the actors get to actually pull off those intimate but still ultimately platonic moments. I think a problem I was having earlier in the show was that whenever Johnny gave his brother the stink-eye when he was flirting with Dutch, it felt like it came more from a place of jealousy than an "ew, please don't" type thing. The last few episodes feel like the writers and actors finally meshed on how to do 'sibling affection' for Dutch and Johnny.

Major props to the show for not going the easy route with their team-building problems and trust issues, too. I wish there were more than 2 episodes left in the season, especially if it's on the bubble. I guess the rivalry between this and Dark Matter is that the Friday ratings have been more or less on equal terms, and when a no-doubt expensive as hell show like The Expanse gets a second season before it even airs the first (one of the actors during SDCC said they basically took over two of the biggest studios in Toronto?), there is only so much left in the books. Haven's ending this year, and Defiance and Dominion already have multiple seasons, plus they're very different animals than Dark Matter and Killjoys. Even if Dominion gets canned (which it looks like it's possible), there's this feeling that between Dark Matter and Killjoys, there can be only one, which is sort of damaging both their chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The John meltdown owned after he realized he couldn't find a perfect solution to the hostage crisis.

• Locked thread