Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I love this show so much, but it infuriates me that in the establishing shots of the Quad everything is so close together. Moons shouldn't be that close to planets :arghfist::mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Kinda bummed that Fancy apparently won't be hanging out with the gang. :(

Speaking of, I see D'avin follows the witch-trial method in his "Are they Level 6?" testing. :commissar::nallears:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 2, 2016

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Alehkhs posted:

Kinda bummed that Fancy apparently won't be hanging out with the gang. :(

Yeah probably my biggest disappointment of the ep was not seeing Fancy in the op credits solidifying his spot :(

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Really good season opener, I wonder where the level 6 plot will go

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Really good season opener, I wonder where the level 6 plot will go

To level 7!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly if they just added a new level every season I'd probably still enjoy this show.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Honestly didn't expect this to get renewed, but hooray!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

To level 7!

:golfclap:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I just binge watched the first season of The Expanse and it's so interesting to go from a show that makes at least a half attempt to be hard scifi to one that doesn't try at all and is just silly and fun. I love them both.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

GreenNight posted:

To level 7!

lol

Rastor posted:

I just binge watched the first season of The Expanse and it's so interesting to go from a show that makes at least a half attempt to be hard scifi to one that doesn't try at all and is just silly and fun. I love them both.

That's what I like about Killjoys - its a relaxed, fun, and sometimes silly sci fi show. Dark Matter, on the other hand, tries to be somewhere between the expanse and killjoys and is much less enjoyable imo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

That's what I like about Killjoys - its a relaxed, fun, and sometimes silly sci fi show. Dark Matter, on the other hand, tries to be somewhere between the expanse and killjoys and is much less enjoyable imo.

Also far less good looking. The cinematography and set design on Dark Matter looks pretty shabby most of the time -- despite clearly having the bigger budget.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The deliberate use of color grading makes Killjoys look better, despite the cheaper sets.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Rastor posted:

You and me both. Was really surprised about how enjoyable Killjoys turned out to be.

On a similar note, I tried watching Dark Matter, but the show really didn't click for me and dropped it after the 3 first episodes. Does it get better?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Atreiden posted:

You and me both. Was really surprised about how enjoyable Killjoys turned out to be.

On a similar note, I tried watching Dark Matter, but the show really didn't click for me and dropped it after the 3 first episodes. Does it get better?
Kind of? At the very least, things happen by the end of the first season. So it does technically get better, although I wouldn't say that it ever gets "good".

Although, on the other hand, the Space Japanese guy gets his own episode that really doubles down on him being from Space Japan. It is pretty goddamn embarrassing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Atreiden posted:

Yes, but not drastically so.

I actually stopped watching it last year after the space zombies in space episode, but I decided to binge watch the rest before the second season started. It's... ok? It's really uneven, more than anything. It wants to take itself very seriously, but the writing is pretty terrible and the acting isn't much better. It's probably worth watching if you really want more space pews pews and you've exhausted all other options, but it's not the kind of show I'd recommend without caveats.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

The deliberate use of color grading makes Killjoys look better, despite the cheaper sets.

Yeah, but Dark Matter does that too.

Not that there aren't poo poo shots in both shows, but I feel like Dark Matter consistently looks more like this:

than this:

I mean, it's probably partly a matter of taste, but I feel that the second one is handsdown the better image even if it wasn't the one with the better quality.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Yes, but not drastically so.

I actually stopped watching it last year after the space zombies in space episode, but I decided to binge watch the rest before the second season started. It's... ok? It's really uneven, more than anything. It wants to take itself very seriously, but the writing is pretty terrible and the acting isn't much better. It's probably worth watching if you really want more space pews pews and you've exhausted all other options, but it's not the kind of show I'd recommend without caveats.

That was basically my impression as well. And at least for me, it felt like it really wanted to be firefly, crew with patchy and mystique past, fly around doing odd jobs. I guess I'll give it a second chance when I get bored enough.

What I really liked about Killjoys and the expanse, was that there is a lot of background lore that doesn't get over explained, but is just pieced together over the episodes. Like westerly being the shittiest place to live, but if your family works there for seven generation you can get of to the better moon.
The worship of a tree and the scarback monk order that suffers in your place.Like people swear by tree/roots etc.
Plus I look forward to hear why Dutch and Khlyen was fighting them in the memory D'avin wasn't supposed to see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Killjoys reminds me a lot of Firefly with the way the system and society is setup.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically watch Dark Matter if you don't feel like changing the channel but want to watch more space show, they're on one after the other, after all.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Let me do a little cinematography appreciation here:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but Dark Matter does that too.

Not that there aren't poo poo shots in both shows, but I feel like Dark Matter consistently looks more like this:

First off, what are they looking at? Something on the ground sure, but where? They're looking somewhere to the left of the screen when they really should be looking somewhere to the middle of the screen, everyone's eyes are focused away from where the camera wants you to look. Meanwhile if I didn't know this was from Dark Matter I'd assume it was some generic action movie where a modern Special Forces team was following a lead on a stolen nuke in an abandoned East European factory. Nothing about it feels sci-fi

Open Source Idiom posted:

than this:

I mean, it's probably partly a matter of taste, but I feel that the second one is handsdown the better image even if it wasn't the one with the better quality.

Now the guy on the right is a professional badass, you can tell by how he carries himself and the tight black T-shirt is usually a good signal that this character does badass poo poo for a living but is taking a break from that right now. The transparent cellphone does just enough to remind you that this is the future without being too weird about it. The guy on the left is wearing vestments that make you think "Monk" but the color scheme and hairstyle is unfamiliar so you know right away he's part of a Space Religion that will become popular in a few hundred years. All the while you can tell by how they look at each other and how the shot frames them that it's a Serious Conversation, but they're not close friends.

TL;DR version: The top image tells you nothing, the bottom image tells you everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can choose a picture of SG1 in the middle of a forest, oh poo poo it doesn't look scifi!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GreenNight posted:

You can choose a picture of SG1 in the middle of a forest, oh poo poo it doesn't look scifi!!

Apart from the black dude with the staff.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

The most fun part of Dark Matter is trying to pick out all the bits and pieces of leftover poo poo from the Stargate franchise gets reused, like Space Ninja's P90

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm psyched this is back. So did the show just get the green light to use poo poo? Because they seem to be dropping it alot this first episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

poo poo has been a thing on basic cable for a few years now. It's pretty common.

Syfy was letting The Magicians drop f-bombs like mad and they really only cut out a tiny part of the 'c'. Like, it really wasn't censored, the barest minimum.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Isn't there a dark matter/killjoy crossover episode this season? I could swear that was a thing.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TEAH SYAG posted:

Isn't there a dark matter/killjoy crossover episode this season? I could swear that was a thing.

I hope not, I hate when my tv-series has a crossover episode with a show I don't watch. Like when things from Green Arrow shows up in the Flash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

TEAH SYAG posted:

No, this is not a thing.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TEAH SYAG posted:

There was an episode where an actor or two from one of the shows was in the other iirc. Either that or you might be remembering that they both had similarly placed space zombie episodes last season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still kind of wish they had bothered to license "Na na na" for their theme song.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really love how Johnny geeks out over tech.

Also:

"Taint, decaying moldy tainty taint."

The writing on this show won't win any awards, but it's surprisingly well done as nailing the right kind of conversational mannerisms these characters would have. Also, they do a great job of establishing the right tone. Serious when need be, but with the right splash of humor.

"The dickiest dick that ever dicked"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol new villain wasted no time. Why be subtle when you can just be a huge dick from the start!

"Officer Oonan has a headache" :v:

I'm also loving Pree's backstory of being a criminal and warlord but only because the reveals are done in a comedic fashion.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess Irisa found a new job after Defiance ended. Shame she didn't stick around.

She's a series regular on American Gothic on CBS.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol new villain wasted no time. Why be subtle when you can just be a huge dick from the start!

"Officer Oonan has a headache" :v:

I'm also loving Pree's backstory of being a criminal and warlord but only because the reveals are done in a comedic fashion.

I'm imagining him being complete 180 from how he is now. Just a ruthless warlord who always had dreams of being makeup wearing pansexual bar owner. Just biding his time until the right score or oppurtunity to get away presented itself.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

I really love how Johnny geeks out over tech.

Also:

"Taint, decaying moldy tainty taint."

The writing on this show won't win any awards, but it's surprisingly well done as nailing the right kind of conversational mannerisms these characters would have. Also, they do a great job of establishing the right tone. Serious when need be, but with the right splash of humor.

"The dickiest dick that ever dicked"

The writing is enormously helped by the chemistry between the leads and the characters in general.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that crazy hot space doc is back.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tokubetsu posted:

I'm imagining him being complete 180 from how he is now. Just a ruthless warlord who always had dreams of being makeup wearing pansexual bar owner. Just biding his time until the right score or oppurtunity to get away presented itself.

You can still see hints of the warlord in there, but yeah, more bar scenes please.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or did they change Lucy's voice?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New thread title owns.

gj escaping your inbred captor only to get clubbed from behind Pawter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're really rushing through story arcs. Like the stuff with Old Town and Pawter seems like it should have taken longer than one episode each.

• Locked thread