Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Hey everyone. If you didn't know by now I have a serious problem where all I do is play emulated wow servers. So this time around I'm bringing you Nostalrius Begins a flashy new 1x Vanilla server.

What special about this one, Tanners?
  • Population - Peaking over 9k, bottoms out around 3.5k. Numbers like this are unheard of; max population of WoW realms around this time was 2500.
  • Scripting - Mechanical stuff like Pathing, Boss Mechanics, and Quest Scripting are the best I've ever seen on a private server.
  • Weird Vanilla poo poo other servers couldnt deliver on - 8 Debuff Slots, Patch specific item stats, No HP tracking on enemies, Vanilla-like Mob leashes (Kite Teremus to stormwind), Proper social aggro/fleeing mechanics.
  • Large number of people who have never played WoW before - Hunters rolling Need on spirit axes, People getting lost in wailing caverns, Serious inquiries into the location of Mankrik's wife.
  • Barrens chat - alive and even worse than retail, for better or worse.
  • Active World PvP/Battlegrounds and working Honor System - Grind to rank 14 like your poopsocking ancestors.
  • No multiboxing allowed - This is a minus for some people, but it's something important to know before diving in. Further Details
  • Old school AV - before various nerfs made it into an activity for reasonable human beings

Things promised by the staff

Timely releases of content - We'll see I guess but at least they have the balls to lay out dates for us.

What Faction, Race, Class, Spec, Professions, Hair Color should I roll?

If you're a new guy rolling horde join the channel goonhelp for grouping, quests, care packs, etc.
You can do this by typing /join goonhelp.

Tolwyn posted:

First time I've checked this thread in a while... I still have control of the guild, but as far as I know, it's pretty dead. Almost everyone who got to 60 would quit to join a raiding guild because we just didn't have the numbers to run anything on our own. We recruited some pubbies and it was the same process of a handful of people getting to 60 and quitting because we didn't have anyone doing anything. If anyone wants to take over and try to rebuild it, I'd gladly transfer it over. I'd recommend joining an existing guild though if you're looking to do any 60 content. Some of the pub guilds out there aren't so bad at all.

Important/Helpful Links:

:siren: AUTHENTIC VANILLA EXPERIENCE :siren:

Tanners fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

It's a pretty good server

Lant fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 9, 2015

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Sir, I think it's pronounced nook-ya-ler.
Not saying this server doesn't have problems like any other private server. The population was what drew me to here.

But, Blizzard never really fixes texture issues either. This is from Twin Ogron raid boss this past winter.

whocares8310 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 22, 2015

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

In game as alliance warrior Tuscany, currently level 20. This server's huge population makes it loving sweet.

Played horde rebirth to level 47, and the dead population killed it for me. Same as ED when I played to level 19 on alliance. There are actual groups for actual quests on Nost because of the competition for mobs and whatnot. On top of this I've been surprised to meet people that have never even played WoW; their obvious addiction has shown a humorous evolution.

Playing an mmo like a single player game is stupid as gently caress, something you get to avoid here. It's fun.

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Oh and cromwell just reminded me, I'll repost this from the old thread:

quote:

On Alliance as Warlock mid 50s named Wacklock.

If you guys send me mats and I'll return them as bags if anyone needs. I also might have spare small bags in the 6-10 slot variety lying around that I can just send out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rolled a druid (Liquidlunch *) on Horde side. The frequent "halp, I can't kill/find [a thing]" comments in general chat are oddly endearing. Not endearing enough to actually help them or anything, though. Come enjoy the cesspit of casual racism and sexism that is Barrens chat!

* In retrospect, I totally should've called my druid Tsunderecat. Oh well, too late now.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 22, 2015

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Made it to 60 and started raiding on horde not too long ago. Just killed Ragnaros today. I've been impressed with the server throughout the leveling and raiding content so far. Those that have been unfortunate to run into bugs will probably find that they are fixed as Nostalrius regularly rolls out updates and script fixes.

HeroComplex
Jan 1, 2005

Why do I keep doing this to myself?
I haven't charged through the world once yet A++++ best wow

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been meaning to ask, do addons work? I had a pretty nice setup back on Emerald Dream, but the "pre 1.4 items" thing has me curious.

Also, did they fix that issue with the SA emoticons addon giving an error? It was so annoying I had to close it :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Level 28 Alliance Warrior - Gradenko

Yes, addons do work. I'm currently using OneBag, SCT, XPerl, ElkBuffBar, DefendYourself and Questie.

I can't get Auctioneer to work though, and I don't know what addon would make cooldown numbers show on your icons.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Level 28 Alliance Warrior - Gradenko

Yes, addons do work. I'm currently using OneBag, SCT, XPerl, ElkBuffBar, DefendYourself and Questie.

I can't get Auctioneer to work though, and I don't know what addon would make cooldown numbers show on your icons.

Nice, good to hear that.
For cooldowns on icons, I used to use OmniCC, really loved that one.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Got into a BRD run with a warrior with that Spinal Reaper off Rag, and I thought to myself ha that axe sucks.

but you know what even if the proc is dumb rag weapons have a fuckload of DPS on them

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Just gonna pop this here again so you know what to expect:

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Orc Shaman level 25 atm. been fun so far, plenty of people around. Arguably too many because finding herbs is a bitch. Still its been pretty fun, a few more bodies wouldnt go a miss.

ps Play what you want! Preempting that question. Otherwise play a warrior, there never seems to be enough for instances.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Touchdown Boy posted:

Arguably too many because finding herbs is a bitch.

gently caress Herbalism. I've told myself, I'm not levelling another Herbalism character.

It might be FFXIV spoiling me with its great crafting and gathering system though.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Serperoth posted:

gently caress Herbalism. I've told myself, I'm not levelling another Herbalism character.

It might be FFXIV spoiling me with its great crafting and gathering system though.

Yeah, I always go Alchemist though lol.

As much as I think WoW (vanilla especially) is one of the best MMOs ever, plenty of newer games do plenty of stuff it does better. It's just they arent all in one game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Touchdown Boy posted:

Yeah, I always go Alchemist though lol.

As much as I think WoW (vanilla especially) is one of the best MMOs ever, plenty of newer games do plenty of stuff it does better. It's just they arent all in one game.

Vanilla WoW and TBC WoW were Great. Still fun to play, with some small QoL improvements (and maybe graphics), I'd say they stand up. Haven't played all the MMOs, but FFXIV is, in my mind, the MMO King. If it was free, I wouldn't be posting here now. :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sigh, god drat it I'm downloading Vanilla WOW for the 10th time or so. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah gently caress it, I was going to try and wait, but I might as well sell my soul for the next few weeks. In as Jeyte, Undead Mage.

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Sigh, god drat it I'm downloading Vanilla WOW for the 10th time or so. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

I too enjoy the feeling of rerolling every few months. I also enjoy the tingle I get from grinding out the same 3 raids in hopes of AQ being released as something that resembles a working dungeon.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Is AV delayed then? Out of anything in Vanilla Wow, I LOVED original AV, but I don't see much recent communication about it?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Uziel posted:

Is AV delayed then? Out of anything in Vanilla Wow, I LOVED original AV, but I don't see much recent communication about it?

should be soonish but who knows with Pservers, ill update the OP and therell be a lot of noise here when it does drop though

e; either way youve gotta be pretty high level to do AV anyways so why not get started now :v:

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Uziel posted:

Two days ago

Viper posted:

In the meantime, dedicated developers are working on Alterac Valley, thanks to the guilds that send us feedback from the Player Test Realm (PTR). The Dev team also has some developers focused on the current content available: thanks to the IsVV team, new patchnotes will be coming soon :-)

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14785

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Been having a lot of fun on this server, glad to see there is a goon presence.

Matoskah Tauren Druid

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Tanners posted:

should be soonish but who knows with Pservers, ill update the OP and therell be a lot of noise here when it does drop though

e; either way youve gotta be pretty high level to do AV anyways so why not get started now :v:
I might! IMO AV is a deal breaker tho!

I did see that, my concern was that it's been "coming soon!" for ~7 months!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Uziel posted:

I might! IMO AV is a deal breaker tho!

I did see that, my concern was that it's been "coming soon!" for ~7 months!

As a fellow "old AV is why I'm here." this is the first private server I've ever played on that makes me think they can pull off real AV. This feels like old WoW, all my Mage spells work fine, quests work properly, and apparently the dungeon scripting is perfect.

I'd say give it a try, by the time you hit endgame, AV will be back in game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Made a char, deleted the char.

Tomorrow, AddOns time. :getin:

Seeing Tanners in /who was a very :unsmith: moment.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is the client the same as the Feenix client? If so do I simply update the realmlist to include nostalrius? Can I have both realm lists and have some characters on ED and others on Nos, or do I need to have separate clients with separate realm lists?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Tanners you have a condition. Seek help.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Is the client the same as the Feenix client? If so do I simply update the realmlist to include nostalrius? Can I have both realm lists and have some characters on ED and others on Nos, or do I need to have separate clients with separate realm lists?

It's best to separate the clients because Nos is loving with item stats to be pre-1.4 or something. Copy the entire folder, delete the contents of the WDB folder, and change the realmlist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got it, thanks

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

mewse posted:

It's best to separate the clients because Nos is loving with item stats to be pre-1.4 or something. Copy the entire folder, delete the contents of the WDB folder, and change the realmlist.

If anyone downloaded the feenix torrent, they have a corrupt wow.exe file that only points the realmlist to the feenix realms. You will need a new wow.exe to rectify this situation

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

landofcake posted:

Just gonna pop this here again so you know what to expect:

I love this pic

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Povertyghost linked me this lovely image the other day. Goons at their finest.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I spoke of AddOns but the link in the OP doesn't work (but the video is amusing). Old thread OP doesn't have a link, should I go with the ones from Feenix? Fix your thread Tanners.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde

Firos posted:

Tanners you have a condition. Seek help.

Circumflex accent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a 1.12 addon that'll let you loot-all/shift-right-click all the time with just a right click?

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Was sold by the insane population - I'm in as Trogged the gnome rogue, formerly known as Organics, Trolltime, on previous incarnations

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Rookersh posted:

This feels like old WoW, all my Mage spells work fine,

It's not blizzlike if they fixed blink :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
SET cameraDistanceMax 50

yay.....no more FOV headaches.