Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Grey Hunter, how fast were you sailing up the East Coast? Scarborough to Hartlepool is quite a distance to sail along bombarding for a get in - get out surprise night bombardment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our wounded ships are being chased home by British battlecruisers.

Our plot says we are down 4 to four in capital ships, with a unknown number of destroyers lost.

We're not a fleet any more, we're a mob of fleeing ships.

After several hours of just floating there, the crew of the G175 manage to coax their engines back to life!

The Hegoland lands a couple of hits on the lead battlecruiser, which takes it from reported light to heavy damage!
This is soon downgraded to light again. Bah!

Apparently its enough though, as the ships turn north and disengage – soon the only fighting going on is these destroyers hounding a pair of British cruisers.

We get a report the Weymouth class is sinking, but then she hits the G37 and takes her out.

She seems determined to not go down alone!

For some reason, the Captain of the Rostock is patroling the battlefield. Here he opts to engage a lone British destroyer, who is probably picking up survivors! I disagree with this action, but I cannot stop it.

No! You have to make it home!

The Derfflinger is in sight of home. The Konig Albert has the rupture under control now.

The Derfflinger is safe, we suffer three more bulkhead ruptures, but all are minor and easily controlled.

The British Battlecruisers are still out there.

Thankfully, they are to far away to worry about.

Night begins to fall, and this may force our scattered ships to disengage – I have to credit the guts of the small ship captains though!

The battleships make it home without further loss.

A British submarine hits one of our cruisers. This will be a fatal blow.

Somehow, G175 makes it home.

We lose a sub, but its finally time to see what the butchers bill is.

Apparently I have won a victory – I have lost five capital ships, but sunk ten! All of them dreadnoughts!

Look at that list.

SOMEONE is not happy at the fact we only have three battleships that are ready for combat.

The difference is scores is 1.4 million. 2 million is needed to win the game, so one more battle like that and I win the war – although one more battle like that and I won't have a fleet left! We have pretty much cut the British advantage in dreadnoughts though!

I am looking at some long rear end repair times – 15 weeks for the Kaiserin to repair! And that's if I started now, as it is, it'll be weeks before I have the spare repair yards to put her in!

The road to recovery will be long an hard. Thankfully, a new battleship is ready next week.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wow! In real life, Fisher would have had an aneurysm and Churchill would have drank himself to death.

That's really impressive. The British probably only have ~10-14 battleships right now. And that's including old stuff like HMS Dreadnought.

You've achieved what Scheer wanted in real life - A rough parity with the Grand Fleet.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 2, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Meanwhile at the British Admiralty...

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Wow, it didn't feel at all you sank 10 BB's. Great job.

So what is the strategy in the upcoming months?
Are we going to wait till we are back up to strength and in the mean time only send minor raiders out? Or we sail with what we have, hoping for the killing blow?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Saint Celestine posted:

Wow! In real life, Fisher would have had an aneurysm and Churchill would have drank himself to death.

That's really impressive. The British probably only have ~10-14 battleships right now. And that's including old stuff like HMS Dreadnought.

You've achieved what Scheer wanted in real life - A rough parity with the Grand Fleet.
I'm pretty sure a number of parliamentarians have burned down the Admiralty building at this point, waving pitchforks and calling for Churchill's head.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Holy poo poo. Never expected that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress the haters, I called it

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah, that retreat had me thinking you at least traded one-for-one, but goddamn. Nice.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So is the Jutland LP the only time Grey has been unable to destroy the Royal Navy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And Preussen was an obsolete hunk of garbage and Moltke was only a battlecruiser. Three dreadnoughts for ten is a very efficient trade.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I was thinking like 4 or 5 BBs with a B sprinkled in there but 10 BBs? :vince:

That is a stunning victory. Jutland was a major battle but this puts Jutland to shame.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is the battle of Jutland if Jellicoe had deployed by the opposite flank.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

This battle was amazing. A point blank knife fight at night between nearly the entirety of both fleets. I can't even imagine the confusion that both sides would have suffered if this had happened in real life.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I was thinking like 4 or 5 BBs with a B sprinkled in there but 10 BBs? :vince:

That is a stunning victory. Jutland was a major battle but this puts Jutland to shame.

We were gettiing a lot of torpedo hits in, but a lot of them were "Unkown is hit by torpedo" - I guess British damage control is not up to the task, and a lot of their ships went down - one torpedo sank the Seydalitz, so anything is possible.

I'll get the loss map for the next update to see if we can figure it out a bit more.

Edit - Look at the Collinwood, She took four hits (one of each type), and sank.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I imagine Jellicoe got sacked after the last battle, and Beatty deployed the fleet this time, with his signals officer giving the orders :haw:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wonder how many of those dead BBs are from storm of torpedoes both sides unleashed at night. Amazing battle with great conclusion! One or two battles like that and military strategists will have to work around not having any fleet-in-being on both sides to consider.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Look at how shot up the Friedrich der Grosse was. I'm surprised there was enough left of her to sink.

Edit: Of the 346 heavy hits scored by the entire Royal Navy, 149 hit the Friedrich der Grosse Fleisch-Schild. And 4 torpedoes.

dublish fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 2, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

dublish posted:

This battle was amazing. A point blank knife fight at night between nearly the entirety of both fleets. I can't even imagine the confusion that both sides would have suffered if this had happened in real life.

To be fair even abstracted here it was incredibly confusing... I legitimately thought Grey was pummeled badly and maybe barely broke even casualty wise.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

To be fair even abstracted here it was incredibly confusing... I legitimately thought Grey was pummeled badly and maybe barely broke even casualty wise.

I'm planning to do a video using the battle of Jutland scenario (Okay, a series of videos). Just so you guys can get a better feel of how this works - but I'm about to go on a half week trip to my folks, so I'm holding off until after that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So, countdown until the British shoot an Admiral to encourage the others?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How much were losses hidden in WW I? Will the next day's newspapers be full of tales of bravery, betrayal and victory against all odds (from both sides)?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Churchill calls Beatty into his office: :mediocre:

alex314 posted:

How much were losses hidden in WW I? Will the next day's newspapers be full of tales of bravery, betrayal and victory against all odds (from both sides)?

After Jutland both sides tried to play it off like they had won, but you can't really hide the sinking of entire capital ships (the IJN's efforts in WW2 notwithstanding) and it soon became apparent even from the German side that they hadn't really "won"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like in real WWI the German fleet would have come home convinced they'd taken a strategic defeat and all the admirals would have been fired. By the time they figured out they sank 10 dreadnoughts it would be too late for the government to bring them back without admitting they'd made a mistake which means it would be too late to bring them back.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I have a question. Does this game model things like the Dover Patrol and the Northern Patrol? Can the RN react to a loss like this by pulling ships off blockade duties to reinforce the Grand Fleet?

alex314 posted:

The thing about naval battles in the North Sea is that afterwards, everyone goes straight back to their own country and it's much harder to sit on certain details than it would be for most other battles. People can see ships not returning. The wounded go straight into hospital at home, those that don't go ashore and start talking. The British spin would likely be to flagrantly overstate enemy losses (and besides our fleet is so big it doesn't really matter) and denounce anything else as German propaganda.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is the post-battle intelligence on the names of enemy ships sunk completely accurate, or does this game have a WitP-style system where the intelligence is not always correct?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Is the post-battle intelligence on the names of enemy ships sunk completely accurate, or does this game have a WitP-style system where the intelligence is not always correct?

I think they are 100% accurate.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Christ, Jutland was only 3 battlecrusiers lost for the Brits, and 1 BC and 1 pre-dreadnought for ze Germans (along with a handful of lesser ships on both sides). With 10 dreadnoughts at the bottom of the North Sea, traded for 5 outdated capitals ships, I really can't see the Admiralty staying calm in this situation.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
As far as the press is concerned these were 5 battleships of the most modern type, while the Royal navy only lost "a small number" of outdated ships.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So we can pretty much rule out the Royal Navy's blockade of Germany happening in this timeline, I guess.

Congrats Grey, you may have just won the whole war. Or prolonged it?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If fleets annihilate each other then UK will replenish losses a lot faster than Germany, and to intercept merchant shipping and chase submarines you need destroyers and light cruisers anyway. Of course Grey's closer to the magic points maker that represents UK willingness to fight. I'd love more complex global game with naval part as well visualized as in this game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You have to remember though, the British army was in France and Belgium. Losing the Grand Fleet would probably have Lord Honorable Admiral Ministers of Sergeant Lords doing backflips in Whiteminsterham Admiralty.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, without a doubt. I'm not sure RN has ever received a beating of this size. Even the losses of their Pacific forces in WW2 were comparatively less shocking, since RN alone was massively outgunned compared to IJN.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Ten dreadnoughts in a single engagement? Forget the RN - I'm not sure any navy ever received such a catastrophic loss. This is less like Jutland and more like Tsushima, Trafalgar or Lepanto.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Who would have been the historical admiral of the Grand fleet in 1914?

Edit: It was Jellicoe.

Well, I imagine not for long.

I see great things for the Kaiserliche marine in the future if Beatty takes over.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Let's see, from most to least modern by class, the RN is now in the following situation with respect to BBs and BCs:

RN BBs:

Iron Duke:
Iron Duke: sunk
Marlborough: sunk
Benbow: took heavy damage early November
Emperor of India: active, just commissioned

Erin:
Erin: active

Agincourt:
Agincourt: active

King George V:
King George V: active
Centurion: active
Audacious: sunk
Ajax: took light damage early November

Orion:
Orion: sunk
Monarch: took heavy damage early November
Conqueror: took heavy damage late October, under repair until beginning of January 1915
Thunderer: sunk

Colossus:
Colossus: sunk
Hercules: sunk

Neptune:
Neptune: active

St. Vincent:
St. Vincent: sunk
Collingwood: sunk
Vanguard: active

Bellerophon:
Bellerophon: sunk
Superb: sunk
Temeraire: sunk

Dreadnought:
Dreadnought: active

RN BB Grand Total: 12 sunk, 4 in yards, 8 active

RN BCs:

Tiger:
Tiger: active

Queen Mary:
Queen Mary: sunk

Lion:
Lion: took medium damage mid-August, probably repaired by now
Princess Royal: sunk

Indefatigable:
Indefatigable: active, should be in the Mediterranean until February 1915
Australia: active, in South/Central Atlantic until end of January 1915
New Zealand: took medium damage early November

Invincible:
Invincible: active, should be chasing down von Spee right now, returning to England in February 1915
Inflexible: active, should be chasing down von Spee right now, then in Mediterranean until mid-June 1915
Indomitable: active, should be in Mediterranean until December

RN BC Grand Total: 2 sunk, 1 active, 1 probably active, 1 in yards, 5 active but not in theater

And what the RN has in the pipeline, with commissioning date:

RN BBs:

Canada:
Canada: mid-October 1915

Queen Elizabeth:
Queen Elizabeth: late December 1914
Warspite: early March 1915
Barham: mid-October 1915
Valiant: mid-January 1916
Malaya: early February 1916

Revenge:
Revenge: early February 1916
Royal Sovereign: mid-April 1916
Royal Oak: early May 1916
Resolution: late December 1916
Ramillies: early September 1917

New RN BB Grand Total: 11

RN BCs:

Renown:
Repulse: mid-August 1916
Renown: late September 1916

Courageous:
Courageous: January 1917
Glorious: January 1917

New RN BC Grand Total: 4

Now, for the German Navy.

Our current situation:

KM BBs:

Kaiser:
Kaiser: active
Friedrich der Grosse: sunk
Kaiserin: took heavy damage late October, needs 15 weeks in yards
Prinzregent Luitpold: took heavy damage late October, needs 13 weeks in yards
Konig Albert: took heavy damage late October, needs 9 weeks in yards

Helgoland:
Helgoland: took light damage late October, needs 4 weeks in yards
Oldenburg: sunk
Ostfriesland: took medium damage late October, needs 5 weeks in yards
Thuringen: active

Nassau:
Nassau: needs 1 week in yards, presumably a refit rather than battle damage
Rheinland: took heavy damage late October, needs 10 weeks in yards
Posen: sunk
Westfalen: took light damage late October, needs 4 weeks in yards

KM BB Grand Total: 3 sunk, 8 in yards, 2 active

KM BCs:

Derfflinger:
Derfflinger: took medium damage late October, needs 7 weeks in yards

Seydlitz:
Seydlitz: sunk

Moltke:
Moltke: sunk
Goeben: given to Ottomans

Von der Tann:
Von der Tann: took medium damage mid-August, needed 6 weeks in yards as of late September

KM BC Grand Total: 2 sunk, 2 in yards, 1 permanently unavailable

And under construction:

KM BBs:

Konig:
Grosser Kurfurst: November 12 1914
Konig: January 5 1915
Markgraf: April 1 1915
Kronprinz: April 20 1915

Bayern:
Bayern: July 1916
Baden: March 1917

New KM BB Grand Total: 6

KM BCs:

Derfflinger:
Lutzow: early August 1915
Hindenburg: early May 1917

New KM BC Grand Total: 2

Needless to say, we're still a bit outnumbered.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Most of the British BCs won't be coming into service until winter of 1915 - therefore, for the moment, Grey has managed to achieve a rough parity with the British. Another big battle or a few good picks and Grey will win the war.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Hopefully the game doesn't end before we can sink the Warspite.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Does this game simulate Jellicoe getting court-martialed, Beatty taking over, and the effects of Beatty's hilariously incompetent flag officer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Saint Celestine posted:

Does this game simulate Jellicoe getting court-martialed, Beatty taking over, and the effects of Beatty's hilariously incompetent flag officer?

What's the real life story behind this Beatty guy?

• Locked thread