Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
PA is a shithole but I'd have to say the worst shithole has to be somewhere like Kansas or Oklahoma. You know, one of those flat, featureless bible belt hellscapes where everyone is secretly wishing for death by tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

just live near the delaware? in college and poo poo i used to drive the 8 hrs or so and take literally (yes) the entire turnpikeand itt cost like 35.00 in tolls all just to entr loving Ohio at like hr 6

also when they were remodeling every other rest stop i had to piss and i tried a bottle like a trucker but i hit a bump and my dix came out of the bottle and i pissed all over everythg and almost crashed it was dogshit

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pittsburgh's roads are laid out like a minotaur lives there.

The existence of ancient beings explains why some roads are inexplicably made with ancient cobblestones (looking at you, weird hill in Oakland).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I live in the Amish place. We still have a ton of wawas and sheetz though

Is Lancaster city still like the worst parts of philadelphia with none of the stuff to do?

Missus Dill
May 8, 2007

I used to live in Philly and I didn't like it

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
All I've learned from this thread is that Prohibition was and continues to be a huge motherfucker

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I live in the Amish place. We still have a ton of wawas and sheetz though

I live there too, they also have lots of breweries which also makes me lol if you live in this godforsaken state and can't find a place to get drunk as hell

Lititz is not bad if you're one of those people that wants to experience "small town as portrayed on TV" as opposed to "small town as it really is" like utter shitholes like Lebanon

JakeP posted:

Is Lancaster city still like the worst parts of philadelphia with none of the stuff to do?

I don't think Lancaster is terrible but yeah I don't ever go there unless I need to go to Costco or I have a craving for Waffle House

I guess there's Dutch Wonderland if you have kids that are too small for Hershey Park?

wow slow your roll there captain cool
vvvvv

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 22, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Cool can't wait to hear all the "edgy" opinions of goons who have spent their entire lives within 50 miles of where they were born and why other place is so lovely/good/other.

great thread.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Powercrazy posted:

Cool can't wait to hear all the "edgy" opinions of goons who have spent their entire lives within 50 miles of where they were born and why other place is so lovely/good/other.

great thread.

broseph I have lived in a ton of shitholes far from my birthplace check ur priviledge :c00lbert:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
northern pa is pretty awesome if you stick to the nature and ignore the rednecks. would probably get boring to live there

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

great thread.

I live 300 miles from where I was born, so as a well traveled man I find that my opinions on Sheetz are most credible

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
How is this not Arizona? We're like Australia and the South had a retarded baby.

1) All of our plants are covered in spines. Plus we have venomous snakes, lizards, and spiders.
2) If you're brown and you go outside a cop will kill you.
3) If you go outside the sun will kill you.
4) Our government is elected by and for racist sunburnt lizardmen (who are venomous).
5) Our best natural feature is a hole in the ground formed by water erosion. This water is from a better state trying to escape to different better state.
6) Our economy is based on meth, smuggling, and wrestling social security checks away from dying old people.

Forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes, our schools are really lovely too.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there are plenty worse states, I mean even right next door you have Jersey and West Virginia, which are both just awful

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
TransPennsylvania

*toccata and fugue in D minor is heard*

*redneck's meth lab detonates*

*man is unable to buy 12 pack of beer*

*sound of Satan laughing*

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Like all the other direction states have a North and a South. West Virginia is literally the part of Virginia that Virginia doesn't want, and thats saying a lot because the only redeeming quality Virginia has is that some Wawas made it there

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Monkey Fracas posted:

TransPennsylvania

*toccata and fugue in D minor is heard*

*redneck's meth lab detonates*

*man is unable to buy 12 pack of beer*

*sound of Satan laughing*

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

It's got more of a night life than it did ten years ago but it's a very hipster - centric one. It's not totally awful but philly is still the go to if you actually want to do anything. The chameleon club still sucks

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I live there too, they also have lots of breweries which also makes me lol if you live in this godforsaken state and can't find a place to get drunk as hell

Lititz is not bad if you're one of those people that wants to experience "small town as portrayed on TV" as opposed to "small town as it really is" like utter shitholes like Lebanon

Yeah there's new breweries like all the time. I'm watching my parents house in Lititz for another week and they have a pool so that's pretty rad, since I'm a high schooler in an 80s movie

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
the kids for cash scandal was what finally conviced me that PA is an iredeemable piece of poo poo state. my family is from northeast PA, and I even know people who know people involved with the scandal, and it really just epitomizes the venal and parochial ineptitude which is the chief characteristic of this place

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

anchoress posted:

the kids for cash scandal was what finally conviced me that PA is an iredeemable piece of poo poo state. my family is from northeast PA, and I even know people who know people involved with the scandal, and it really just epitomizes the venal and parochial ineptitude which is the chief characteristic of this place

Is poo poo like this really isolated to PA though? Pretty sure this kind of stuff happens all over the world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BigBoss posted:

I love threads like this because you can tell the people who are too poor to have ever left the United States and experience the squalor the rest of the world lives in.

Speaking from experience the only difference between Central Pennsylvania and Sinoloa, Mexico is the humidity.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Utah

1. Mormons, seriously gently caress these guys. The church is integrated into the state government and buts into everything.
2. lovely beer, you have to go to a state run liquor store to get anything decent and they have lovely hours.
3. 6.8% sales tax
4. Yearly car emission and safety inspections. Newer cars are finally exempt but only for 3 years.
5. License fees on everything.
6. Contractors and business run this state.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I moved from PA to Utah 10 years ago and the worst thing about both states is state liquor stores. Utah is pretty awesome if you're a goony recluse and don't talk to anybody and like to go camping and stuff. I don't even have to deal with mormon missionaries because I scare the locals with my neck beard and coffee.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

InterFaced posted:

I moved from PA to Utah 10 years ago and the worst thing about both states is state liquor stores. Utah is pretty awesome if you're a goony recluse and don't talk to anybody and like to go camping and stuff. I don't even have to deal with mormon missionaries because I scare the locals with my neck beard and coffee.

You are a weird hairy loner? Quick run around telling everyone you found a sequel to the bible. Its Utah, it will work like a charm

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset

JakeP posted:

Like all the other direction states have a North and a South. West Virginia is literally the part of Virginia that Virginia doesn't want, and thats saying a lot because the only redeeming quality Virginia has is that some Wawas made it there

Yeah but WV broke off from Virginia because it didn't wanna be a Confederate state. WV probably sucks more poo poo now though.

I actually like these state threads keep pumping them out whoever you are.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

JakeP posted:

Is poo poo like this really isolated to PA though? Pretty sure this kind of stuff happens all over the world

the details are what makes it. idk maybe it wouldn't feel so intensely pennsylvanian if you hadn't lived this stuff like i have. municipal government is such a mom and pop operation in PA, there are innumerable judges and superintendents and councilmen lording over their decaying little fiefdoms, trading favors, doing this or that for some member of the extended family

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You are a weird hairy loner? Quick run around telling everyone you found a sequel to the bible. Its Utah, it will work like a charm

Whenever I see the FLDS out at southern Utah grocery stores with their long pastel dresses I still think of them as the creepy Amish. Stay safe, Creepy Amish.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

InterFaced posted:

Whenever I see the FLDS out at southern Utah grocery stores with their long pastel dresses I still think of them as the creepy Amish. Stay safe, Creepy Amish.

Best true fact about Amish people for people not from around Amish country

Amish boys typically receive a horse and buggy at 16 or so.
You are not obligated to follow or join the Amish church until 18.

I once saw a horse and buggy with a sound system playing Jay Z.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

What's PA's stance on clinically obese sex offenders?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

President Kucinich posted:

What's PA's stance on clinically obese sex offenders?

We call em coach

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Best true fact about Amish people for people not from around Amish country

Amish boys typically receive a horse and buggy at 16 or so.
You are not obligated to follow or join the Amish church until 18.

I once saw a horse and buggy with a sound system playing Jay Z.

This is why the Amish are better than the FLDS, well this and less child rape.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Pittsburgh is quite a striking town. So would the locals be if one gets within arm's range since they're all inbred violent sociopathic criminals.
Nothing that a few megatons couldn't fix right up.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We call em coach

No, I'm talking wearing a fat suit over a fat suit obese here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I unironically love these state threads. After reading so many (or not enough) it seems like goons love the metro part of Texas.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Avocados posted:

I unironically love these state threads. After reading so many (or not enough) it seems like goons love the metro part of Texas.

username + post combo

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Hollis Brownsound posted:

3.Once a year car inspections. Jesus christ, every year I have to bring my car to a shady mechanic for him to fleece my out of money buy fixing poo poo that isn't broken. Even if you bought a new car in 2014 it still has to be inspected in 2015. It's the most devious tax on the poor in any state.

lol this is the dumbest policy I've ever heard

6. Dog Licences.

This is good and cool

Would be better if they had a dog extermination program though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

3.Once a year car inspections. Jesus christ, every year I have to bring my car to a shady mechanic for him to fleece my out of money buy fixing poo poo that isn't broken. Even if you bought a new car in 2014 it still has to be inspected in 2015. It's the most devious tax on the poor in any state.

lol CA doesn't even do that poo poo and we are super strict about emissions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I remember the first time I moved out of PA I was like "Wait, you mean I don't have to take my car to a mechanic every year to get fleeced?"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
there is nothing funnier than people from pennsylvania looking down on Jersey

absolutely nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the nicest thing you can say about pennsylvania is that it probably has fewer methheads than West Virginia

• Locked thread