Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What is this?
A Hackintosh is a non-Apple computer that has OS X installed.

Is this legal?
Maybe? No, there are not going to be SWAT teams busting down your door. Be smart, don't sell the computer with OS X on it or try to sell computers with OS X on them, don't pirate the OS, don't worry about it.

Can I use it as my everyday computer?
Yes! If installed correctly, it will be just as stable as a real Mac once it gets up and running.

What are the minimum requirements?
Anything Core 2 or newer from Intel will work (more about that in a minute) but a Sandy Bridge chip or newer and a GIGABYTE motherboard is strongly recommended.

What do you mean, 'more about that in a minute?! And I like my ASUS board? Why does the board matter anyway?!?!?!
Some chips are blacklisted, like certain Atom models, despite the generation of Intel processors that the Atom is of being supported. Some entire Intel generations don't work quite right in OS X, as Apple never used them (Haswell-E). Generally speaking, you want to stick to the consumer line (i3/5/7) of Intels current generation chips, and only upgrade to a new generation after Apple starts using it.

If you want to go Xeon, only use processors of a generation that Apple also used. The Mac Pro (2013, trash can) uses Ivy Bridge-E, for instance.

The motherboard is a tricky part. You want a board that has supported networking/audio/power management inside OS X, not just Windows. Gigabyte makes boards with that magic combo. Also, lots of cheap boards have a hosed up DSDT and just can not run OS X with a lot of hacking.

If in doubt, go Gigabyte. Check the TonyMac recommended hardware list and go from there. If you are sure your board is good for OS X, use it, but don't be surprised if something isn't quite right.

Bulldozer Forever! Can I use AMD processors?
No. It is vaguely possible, but I don't recommend it in the least. The whole OS has to be hacked to hell and back to get it working on AMD chips.

AMD GPUS? Please
Good news: Most modern (7XXX and newer) AMD GPUs work natively. Google the specific one you have/want to get before hand, but it likely works. In some ways, AMD GPUs are better than Nvidia ones - the ones that work are supported natively by the OS. Bad and important: AMD cards can be problematic between vendors. XFX 2XX cards don’t work for the most part, despite other vendors working fine. This is just a problem with AMD GPUs; Nvidia is fine. Always Google potential hardware purchases to make sure there are no compatibility problems.

I want to use a Titan X in OS X! Does that work?
Yes, but with caveats. Newer Nvidia GPUs require a third party driver in order to work. The 'Nvidia WebDriver' is required for many cards, including but not limited to:

GTX 750Ti
GTX 780Ti
GTX 960
GTX 970
GTX 980
GTX 980 Ti
Titan Z
Titan X

Why does that matter? Install and done, right?
Not quite. The driver needs to be updated each time a major OS X update comes out. Anything that changes the version number of the OS, including security updates, breaks the WebDriver. The officially Nvidia supported solution is to wait a day or two after an OS update comes out and get the new driver they release, which is an annoyance but not the end of the world. The biggest problem is if you plan on running beta releases of the OS - Nvidia takes a long time to support a current beta. If you want to run 10.11 DP1, you don't want to use a card that requires the WebDriver

In post 2 I have a guide on how to remove the WebDriver OS version check, which will make it possible for you to take Security Updates without losing your driver. If in doubt, go for a card that doesn't require the WebDriver. Ask here or google!

Can I make a hackintosh out of a laptop?
Yes, but tread with caution. Google your model and find out if others have had success. If you can't find anything, post its specs in here, and one of us can probably tell you if it is worth trying. Generally speaking, making a HackBook is a world of pain and you should probably just buy a real Mac.

Can I attach a 4k/Retina display to a hackintosh?
Yes, but there are some limitations. You want displays that A: operate over Display Port and not HDMI and B: Use SST and not MST. Some background: first generation 4k displays used MST to operate, which is a nasty hack that barely works. Only a couple Macs ever officially supported MST: The Mac Pro 2013, the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and some others. This does rule out the first 'retina class' 4k display - the Dell UP2414Q. Sorry, can't use it.

SST, however, is universally supported. All modern 4k displays use SST - google before buying, but you'll seldom encounter MST anymore. The Dell P2414Q (which is essentially a cheaper UP2414Q) uses SST and as such works beautifully on a hackintosh, as do many other 4k monitors. Lots of choices.

Do make sure your GPU can drive 4k - you need Displayport 1.2 support. All 6XX Nvidia GPUs and higher/most 79XX and higher AMD cards can drive it - if in doubt, Google.

5k is a mess - it can be made to work (with that one Dell monitor that costs as much as a 5k iMac) but sleep doesn't work and you have to do a power cycle trick and its hacky and don't buy it, please.

-

What's new in Hackintosh Land?

You can now install OS X natively. USB installer sticks that work on real Macs, generated with official tools will work on a hackintosh. When OS X Weed comes out later this year, you can just update your bootloader, download the OS off the Mac App Store and upgrade like normal.

That audio patch you have to after each update can be automated now - you'll never rollback AppleHDA again! Same for the TRIM patch for SSDs.

You can use Boot Camp Assistant now, if you want to partition a drive or be able to boot a Windows hard drive in VMWare/Parallels.

iMessage works, Startup Disk works, NVram values save correctly, you can boot into the Recovery Partition and restore from Time Machine, etc. Things are much more 'native' with the new, modern bootloader.

Modern bootloader? What?
Alright, so: boring technical stuff.

When Apple was getting ready to ship the first Intel Macs, they needed to whip something together to sell to software developers, so they can port their apps to X86. That thing was called the 'Intel Developer Transition Kit'. It cost $999 and ran a pre-release version of 10.4.X. It wasn't really a Mac, persay - it had a normal BIOS and a Intel Desktop Board motherboard inside. To get OS X running on that platform, Apple wrote a series of tools nicknamed Boot-132, named after the three stages of boot it entailed. The tool was used to load boot the OS - a bootloader, because these boards did not support EFI.

Apple would accidentally open source this tool with the release of the first 'Intel tarball dump' of Intel Mac source code. It is the basis of Chameleon/Chimera/older bootloaders. At the time of it's open source release, all that was needed to be done to use it right away was to add GUID support (it only supported MBR) and build. This is the basis of everything before the EFI-based bootloaders.

So, we've been using hacked up stuff from 2005 to boot OS X on our computers?
Yes, and it is as crazy as it sounds. Chameleon does have improvements, but they are minor. A fix here and there to get 10.8 to boot, one for 10.9 too. A broken NVRam implementation, added as soon as iMessage started requiring values to be set and not a moment before.

It has a list of modern GPUs included inside, to inject their names (so System Profiler looks all nice). But at it's core, it is just a thing Apple threw away in 2005. It doesn't have support for booting disk images, which is required by the 10.7-10.10 installers. That is why you have to use Unibeast to rip the installer to shreds (and lose out on the recovery partition) - Chameleon can't boot the real installer.

It doesn't support storing NVRam values in the way a real Mac does, so certain apps (mostly Parallels Desktop when trying to boot an OS X Guest) that actively try to prevent Hackintosh users from using them don't work.

It's just generally old and bad. Chameleon is a way around using Apple's boot.efi, whereas the new things just boot boot.efi. Boot-132 was never intended to be be used this long. It has support for the things that were true in 2005 but those things just are not the case anymore - it doesn't have support for booting disk images, for example, because Apple wasn't using those in 10.4.

So what are people using instead of Chameleon now? How does it work?
They are, in short, EFI based bootloaders. Real macs use this thing called EFI - a replacement for the old 'BIOS' structure. The EFI, combined with one key the SMC stores are what make a Mac a Mac. They are what is different from a generic PC. The small OS on Apple's EFI just serves to do a couple things:

Switch the startup disk.
Trigger Internet Recovery, if there is no OS on the hard drive or that OS install is broken.
Detect an encrypted FileVault 2 volume and offer to pass along the password, enabling booting.

There is more to it but in short, it uses an HFS driver (stored in the EFI) to load boot.efi on the hard drive the user is attempting to boot.

That's what the new bootloaders do. They include an HFS driver and a proper EFI implementation and just load boot.efi. It's a bit more complicated than that, they do lots of work behind the scenes but that is what it does as far as the user is concerned.

So instead of reimplementing everything boot.efi does, they do it right the first time.

I say they, but there is really just one: CloverEFI. In the past, a couple more esoteric bootloaders were maintained but Clover quickly won out and the other ones died. That's the history anyway. What matters to you is that more stuff just works using Clover than with Chameleon.

How do I make a hackintosh?
Check post 2!

I want a hack! What hardware should I buy?
Check TonyMac's recommended hardware list. I recommend current-gen Intel chips and as powerful as (Nvidia) graphics card as you need.

I see these things called distros on torrent sites. Should I use one?
No! They are :filez:, and usually sloppily done hacks made by some 16 year old kid in Russia somewhere.

There's this thing called Multibeast and Unibeast and I want to use them and
Yeah, uh, don't. Those tools are for Chameleon installs. In the case of Multibeast, the kexts it installs vary between not working on a Clover install to being the wrong way to do things (working, but not the right tool for the job)

Unibeast is even worse, being solely for Chameleon. It takes a Yosemite install image and rips it apart and hacks it to shreds and installs Chameleon on the flash drive. For Clover, you can use DiskMaker X to put Yosemite's installer on a flash drive - a tool for a real Mac.

How do I make a hackintosh without a real Mac?
It can't be legally done. The legal situation is complicated by the fact that OS X doesn't cost money anymore - it's free on the Mac App Store. The tools you need to use require access to a running Mac, which means either borrowing/buying a real Mac or pirating a VMware image of OS X. I recommend the former. Please no piracy.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Clover.

config.plist: The config file for Clover. This contains everything - from what kexts to patch (and how) to which model Mac you are pretending to be.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support. This is a legacy term - you likely do not need to use a modified DSDT - Clover will make any needed modifications automatically.

WebDriver: A driver Nvidia releases for their graphics card. Officially, it is for a few Mac-branded Quadros they sell. Unofficially, it contains drivers for all their current GPUs, including models that Apple doesn't use.

HdaEnabler1: A kext that injects required data for on-board audio to work. The 1 stands for the 'layout id', which is, in short, the number of connectors your motherboard has. Almost everyone has Layout ID 1, excluding some laptops.

EFI Partition: On real macs, this is where firmware updaters and the like are stored, which is a file that the computer loads on startup in order to boot into OS X. On a Clover-based hackintosh, it is where Clover lives.

Terminal: This one is harder than normal to define, easier to quote Wikipedia: "A terminal window allows the user access to a text terminal and all its applications such as command-line interfaces (CLI) and text user interface (TUI) applications." You will use Terminal to enter certain commands and to run command line applications.

KextStat: A debugging command. Entering it into terminal provides a list of which kexts are loaded, which makes it easy to see if a kext you installed isn't loading.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

I want to install! How do I do it?

These instructions are for fresh installations. If you have previously been using Chameleon, skip a couple posts to my guide on how to remove Chameleon. Come back once you're done.

Alright! Here's what you need:

An actual Mac.

Two USB flash drives. One 8gb or bigger (for the OS X installer) and one of virtually any size (for Clover itself)

The Yosemite Installer (get it off the Mac App Store - it's free)

DiskMaker X (Also free) - http://diskmakerx.com/

Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/

For use on the Hackintosh, once the install is completed:

Clover Configurator: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/

Kext Wizard: http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/download.html

You may also need the WebDriver, it is further down this post.

--

Let's get started. Plug in your Clover USB flash drive. Copy anything you need off it, then go into Disk Utility and format it as FAT, like so: http://i.imgur.com/lnYHSUU.png

Download Clover. Here's the latest version, as of 6/22/15: https://mega.nz/#!CEpXBAiA!4Vg3ucRMbAg45EW8HwLpP-4z58zPOkflV9rnzWVNCKI

Launch the installer. Be careful with this thing, you don't want to install it on the Mac's drive. Hit change Install Location and choose the flash drive. Hit Customize.

Under Boot Loader, check 'Don't update MBR and PBR sectors'.
In CloverEFI, select CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.
Under Themes, select black_green (trust me).
Make sure Drivers64 is unchecked.
Check all options under Drivers64UEFI. Leave all other options in the installer unchecked.

Now hit install.

Next step: throwing essential kext(s) in. You need a copy of FakeSMC to boot. Here's one: https://mega.nz/#!eM41ACwA!f3LsT1m18fQ6LhZHGE2SBIBJsjLvx_PpyYN9Qx8R-2k

Go to your Clover flash drive in Finder. Go to /EFI/Clover/Kexts inside. You should see folders named through 10.6 to Other. Throw an (unzipped!) copy of FakeSMC in each one of them.

Next up, Clover Configurator. Download it from here: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/ - get the classic version so you can follow along with my screenshots.

Launch it. In Finder, open your flash drive and go to /EFI/Clover. Drag config.plist to the Clover Configurator icon in your dock.

This tool is used to build a proper 'config.plist', which is a file that tells Clover what to do in order to get OS X booting on your machine.

Step 1: turn off all 'Fixes', then hit the 'New way' button and uncheck those too. You should only have 'Halt Enabler, Generate PStates, Generate CStates' turned on, and the stuff you see in Drop Tables. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/alilfUm.png

Go to boot. Make sure kext-dev-mode=1 is on. If you need the Web Driver, you will turn it on for here, but for now (and only if you need the Web Driver) we are going to completely disable the Nvidia driver - cards that need the web driver hang at black screens until you install the Nvidia driver. This fixes it - check the box that says 'nv_disable=1'. Again: don't check that unless your card requires the Web Driver.

Go to CPU. Everything should be blank.

Go to Devices. Inject, Add ClockID, FixOwnership, Reset HDA should all be on by default. I recommend only one change: HighCurrent. That setting enables iPad charging!

Skip over Disable Driver. In GUI, enter 'black_green' for the theme name. It should be set to 'embedded' right now. Skip over Graphics/Kernel and Kext Patches/RT Variables, for now. Go to SMBios.

In SMBios, click the wand icon. Click the trash can, select Mac Pro 3,1 from the drop down, click both 'shake' icons, hit ok. Almost done here.

Under System Parameters, change 'Inject Kexts' from 'Detect' to 'Yes'. Hit File - Save.

---

Right now you have a very respectable Clover config.plist. Next up, making an OS X Install USB drive.

Eject the Clover USB, insert the 8gb or higher stick. In Disk Utility, select the drive itself (as opposed to the volume name) so that 'Partition' shows up. Select '1 Partition', select 'Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and hit Options. Make sure 'GUID' is set there. Once done, enter a name (important. don't name it 'Untitled - you don't want to put the Yosemite installer on the wrong drive by mistake) and hit apply - this will format the drive.

Launch Disk Maker X and let it do its thing. Point it at the Yosemite installer, point it at your USB drive and wait. Some people have had bad luck with Disk Maker X - if you are comfortable with the Terminal, Apple provides an official USB install drive creation tool - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

This is very important: :siren:DO NOT modify the installer drive in any way after creating it. It will refuse to boot if you modify it.:siren:

--

Once done, eject the drive. Go to your PC now. Make sure the BIOS is configured correctly for OS X - the user instructions on TonyMacs fourm (google your motherboard's model number + TonyMac) will be useful here. Generally speaking, you should disable Intel HD Graphics unless you are using it and VT-d on Haswell Refresh boards, but be sure to Google.

Insert both flash drives, reboot, go into the boot menu. Drives will be listed twice - you want to select the UEFI version of your Clover flash drive. Clover will come up.

Use the arrow keys to scroll around, select the 'Install Mac OS X' drive and hit space. Scroll down, select 'Verbose', hit enter. The installer should boot now. From here on out this is a normal OS X Install (until we hit the desktop, anyway). Format the drive you want to install to in Disk Utility and install. Enjoy!

I'm done installing! What do I do next?

Well, it depends. If you need a network driver you should figure out what driver people install using Multibeast and install it. If it's a 'KIller Nic' (which are terrible in Windows but have an oddly great OS X driver) this is your kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/. The threads about your specific motherboard should have screenshots of what kexts people install. If you need help, reply to the thread and someone (probably me) will help you.

If your GPU requires the WebDriver, now is as good a time as any to install it: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85588/en-us. Once installed, load Clover Configurator and uncheck 'nv_disable=1' and check 'nvda_drv=1'.

Now, you can install kexts the old way, writing them to /System/Library/Extentions. You don't have to do that though, you can put them in the Clover /kexts/ folder and they will load like that. Keeps things nice and seperate. Your call. If you want to install it to Clover, just copy the kext in. To install to /System/Library/Extensions, you must use a tool. I recommend this one, Kext Wizard: http://wizards.osxlatitude.com/kext/download.html

Next up: Installing Clover to the Mac drive. Unmount the Clover flash drive. You'll need it later, but you don't want it connected for this. Download the latest version of Clover (linked earlier in this post) and run it. Your settings are the same as last time, with two exceptions: hit 'Install for UEFI booting only' and 'Install Clover in the ESP'. Install it and mount the flash drive again. Copy the config.plist and the entire kexts folder to the new Clover install. Unmount the flash drive. :siren:Keep the USB stick in a safe space - it's handy to have a known good copy of your bootloader somewhere.:siren:

Reboot, see if you can boot. Select your Mac drive in the boot menu using the UEFI entry for it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 6, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Post Install:

HELP I DON'T HAVE ON BOARD AUDIO
First, make sure your on-board audio is supported at all. Google for your motherboard. If people are doing 'AppleHDA' patches in Multibeast you are golden. If not, get a $10 USB soundcard.

In the OS, grab Clover Configurator again. We need to mount the EFI partition. Do to this, hit 'Mount EFI' in Clover Configurator. Hit 'Check Partition'. What you are looking for is the name of your Mac volume. Once you find it, take mental note of the /dev/diskX value above it. Hit 'Mount EFI partition', selecting the right drive.

Next up, download this: https://mega.nz/#!aJokVYJI!-6d42BaG9jSoh7CLEd8kK_BwUg9x4sLjgjmNmsRTfcw and unzip it. Throw it in your Clover /kext/ folders. Reboot.

In Finder, make a new folder. Launch Terminal.Type 'cd' and drag the folder into the Terminal window. Hit enter. Copy and paste this into the terminal window:

code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC.git[/url]
Once it's done, open Finder again. Go into the newly created folder. You're looking for a .sh file - 'audio_cloverALC-100.sh'. Once you find it, drag it into terminal and hit enter.

You'll get prompted for your password, enter it. It'll ask you to make sure your EFI partition is mounted, make sure you see it on your desktop. If HDAEnabler1.kext is loaded correctly, you should see something like "Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n)". If you see that, you didn't screw anything up. Next step, before you go any further: Google your mother board model + the ALCXXX value you see. If you get a bunch of hackintosh fourm results saying that your motherboard does in fact use that ALC codec, you're golden. Hit Y and step through the process. Once done, you need to reboot. Reboot and ta-da.

What's next?
I don't know, you tell me! I got a thing on how to modify the Nvidia Driver to disable its OS version checking so it doesn't break after every update two posts below, but if you don't use the WebDriver you are probably all set. Things should be working now. If not, post and let us know.

I want to learn more about Clover! Where do I start?

Get a good Plist editor (I like PlistEdit Pro) and read this: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration. Soon, you too will be making your config.plists by hand.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 6, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Troubleshooting:

This is a good opportunity to kick the tires a bit and see if anything is broken. Launch Network Utility and select your Ethernet card. Make sure you see en0 next to 'Ethernet'. If it's not, iCloud/Mac App Store/Facetime/iMessage will not work. I have a fix later in this post.

Fire up a game, see if performance seems right.

Go into System Preferences - Sound - Output. Make sure you see multiple output devices - Line Out, Digital Out, etc.

Move the mouse around, see if you get any obvious lag. If the mouse is 'weird', deleting the 'AppleUpstreamUserClient' kext will fix it. Not sure what the hell causes this as I have never had the issue myself, but I've heard of it happening to others and can vouch for that fix.

Go to System Information and make sure you see the right Mac model - it should be Mac Pro 3,1. If it's not, something is wrong with your Clover configuration.

I get the 'No Go' icon on boot. I'm stuck here, help!

This means you have an invalid/corrupt config.plist - it's missing the SMbios. Delete the config.plist you have, reboot, Clover will regenerate it. That'll get you booted, now you have to edit it back to how you want it.

HELP MY NETWORK IS EN1 AND MAC APP STORE/ETC WON'T WORK

Don't worry - easy fix. For whatever reason the OS assigned something else en0, and not your on-board Ethernet. This is a problem as Apple uses the MAC address of your ethernet controller as the 'secret value' for Mac App Store DRM. If there is no value, you can't sign in.

To fix this, delete these two files and reboot. The files will get regenerated, this time with your Ethernet as en0 and not something else.

code:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
A kext isn't loading!

Kexts not loading can be cause by multiple things. Common ones:

The kext is not for your hardware. Make sure this is actually the right kext.

The kext was installed incorrectly. If you are installing to /System/Library/Extensions, use Kext Wizard to install it. To fix the permission error causing the kext to not load, open Disk Utility and do a 'Permissions Repair' on the OS drive.

You have the kext on your EFI partition, but Clover is configured incorrectly. Open Clover Configurator, feed it your config.plist and make sure you have the 'Inject Kexts' option under System Parameters set to 'Yes'.

I'm having audio problems! I'm not seeing my on-board devices in Sound settings.

Audio is complicated. Some troubleshooting tips:

Reboot in verbose mode, and watch the verbose text for 'HDAEnabler by SoAndSo Loaded'. If you see some stuff about 'HDAEnabler', that kext is loading. That's the most important part of the puzzle. if it's not, there is an issue preventing the kext from loading - see above. Kextstat happens to be a liar in this one instance - HDAEnabler doesn't stay loaded - it injects the thing it needs to inject and terminates. So you won't see it in Kextstat. Reboot in verbose mode and watch the scroll..

Make sure the EFI partition was mounted when you run the audio_CloverALC patch. The changes it makes get written to the EFi partition. Mount the partition and check config.plist, looking for AppleHDA stuff under 'Kernel and Kext Patches'.

Most likely problem: 'Inject Kexts' isn't enabled. Open config.plist in the configurator and to to System Parameters. Inject Kexts must be set to 'Yes'.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 27, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Odds & Ends:

The WebDriver is an annoying piece of poo poo that disables itself every time the OS build number changes! How do I get it to stop doing that?!

You're going to need a Plist editor for this step - if you have Xcode installed, you already have one. If not, get Plistedit Pro. Actually, get Plistedit Pro either way, it's much nicer.

Go into /System/Library/Extensions. Copy 'NVDAStartup.kext' to your desktop. Right click it, select 'Show Package Contents'. Go into Contents and open Info.plist.

Here's the thing you want to modify: http://i.imgur.com/tyHe7Fr.png. For you, it should be currently be an exact version number. What you want to do is change it to be '14' instead. Save the plist and exit. Install the new, modified kext using Kext Wizard.

I am running a pre-release version of OS X and the Web Driver doesn't work, help.

The WebDriver breaks with every major version of OS X, as Apple changes things. It sometimes breaks with minor versions too, such as 10.10.3. That isn't common though. Usually you can run the old driver just fine. If you can't, Netkas's Fourm (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8522.345.html) and InsanelyMac (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/) will have links to beta versions of the Web Driver for the OS X build in question.

Is there any way to get HDMI audio?

Historically, HDMI audio has been a pain in the rear end. If you have Intel HD Graphics, post in the thread and I can help on a case-by-case basis - how to enable HDMI audio varies board to board, chipset to chipset. However, If you have AMD or Nvidia dedicated graphics, life is easy.

Important note: you MUST have working on-board audio before doing this. Check it once, check it twice. Make sure your on board audio works unless you want to manually remove this kext from single user mode.

Here's the tool you'll need, and a guide on how to use it. Very simple. Made for real Macs, works for a properly configured hackintosh. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-hdmi-audio.1499797/

iMessage isn't working.

Alright. First of all: everything you've read about iMessage is wrong. This is extra true if you read that ridiculously paranoid TonyMac guide.

Here is what matters for working iMessage:

NVram read/write persistence. This is supported by Clover.

An SMBios being set - doesn't matter if the serial is real or fake. You just have to have enough of an SMBios set so that you see 'Machine Name (Year) in About This Mac

On board Ethernet - have to have it. It also has to be en0 - look above. If Mac App Store, iCloud etc work for you, en0 is set.

Finally, MLB and ROM values. Clover sets these automatically.

So things of note: The MLB value is the only ones Apple verifies to be from a real Mac- the ROM is just the MAC Address of en0. If you have an actual genuine MLB value from a real Mac that is not signed into iMessage and never will be signed into iMessage, your hack will work just like any Mac. You will be able to sign in to iMessage/FaceTime without any difficulty. If your values are generated on-the-fly by Clover:

Apple requires a certain degree of 'trustworthiness' from you in order to connect. This is in response to Chinese spam rings renting Amazon AWS instances/etc and running hackintosh VMs on them in order to - you guessed it - send iMessage spam. So Apple requires a bit more from you if your values are not real.

If you have a credit/debit card on file with your Apple ID: you're in. Sign in will work just fine.

If you don't have a credit/debit card on file, and you are unable to add one for whatever reason: You will be prompted to call in to Apple, who will whitelist you for iMessage.

That's it. Really.

If you have an old/broken Mac you want to use real values:

Don't forget that you can not sign into iMessage using two Macs at once. The Mac you extract values from must not sign into iMessage so long as you are using its values. Important, don't forget.

To get values, run iMessage debug http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/278-imessage-debug/.

Take the MLB and ROM values it spits out and put them in your config.plist - they go under 'RT Variables' in Clover Configurator.

I use real values because I was willing to spend $30 on a ancient MBP logic board with a hosed LVDS connector, solely to extract values. You probably are not interested in doing that. The good news is that, in most scenarios, you will just be able to sign in with no problem - who doesn't have a payment method on file with Apple?

How do I use Boot Camp? Getting weird errors
Boot Camp is pretty easy, but it never worked on Chameleon so few have any experience with it. Some quick tips:

Real Macs install windows through legacy (non-EFI) boot. Once you partition, boot your install drive through non-EFI entries in the F12 menu - so, in other words, look for 'PX <drive name> instead of 'UEFI <drive name>'.

If you are installing Windows 7 (as opposed to 8, 8.1, 10) you must disconnect HFS+ formatted (so Mac) hard drives. Long standing Windows 7 issue that Apple works around. There are some guides online on how to install without doing that, but the easy way is to just disconnect the drives/disable them in BIOS

Use Boot Camp if you want to install Windows without it creating the 'System Reserved' partition/to be able to boot your Windows Install as a 'Boot Camp Partition' in Parallels/VMware. Otherwise, you don't really have to - you're using a PC!

I want Apple WiFi/Bluetooth/Handoff support

Good choice. Apple's bluetooth/WiFi cards are the best ones for OS X usage. As for how to get one:

So Apple has custom PCi-E WiFi/BT cards for their machines. Except it's not normal PCI-E card - Apple has a unusual PCI-E slot in real Macs that delivers both USB (for Bluetooth) and PCI-E x2 (for WiFi) to their cards. So you need an adapter of some sort to put it in a normal desktop PCI-E slot.

There are lots of adapters you can get for these cards. You can even get the whole package; card and adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Bluet...ords=BCM94360CD)

That's not what I recommend though. I recommend instead importing an alternate adapter from China: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.M8souu&id=38195333521

That adapter does use an Apple card inside (for native Handoff) but that's where the similarities with the stuff on Amazon/eBay/etc end: the physical construction of the Taobao card is far superior, it can operate in any PCI-E slot (not just 1x slots), it works with all OS X compatible motherboards (the other adapters don't, oddly).

It even has a nicer USB header situation - straight USB Type B to USB header cable instead of header to header (the other card I linked has that, it is easy to pull the cable out by mistake).

In other words, it's better. It's cheap too - $51 shipped to USA through YouBuy (http://www.yoybuy.com/). Unlike the one I linked on Amazon, the card here is capable of 802.11ac and not just 802.11n - Bonus! Downside being that you have to wait for it to arrive. The Amazon one is Prime Eligible. Pick your poison, I guess.

Whichever adapter you choose, setup is simple so long as the adapter has a genuine Apple Handoff-capable card pre-installed - lots of more shady vendors are inserting non-Apple variants of the BCM94360CD, which don't have the right Vendor ID. Wrong vendor ID equals no Handoff. That said, the setup:

Set your SMBios to either Mac Pro 3,1 or any Mac model that officially supports Handoff, power off, insert card, attach USB cable to USB header and done.

You get all the fun stuff you get with a real Apple card in addition to Handoff - Location Services (so Maps can find where you are), Bluetooth working in the BIOS/boot menu (few, if any third party Bluetooth cards have that working with Apple keyboards), proper Bluetooth in general (WiiMote pairing/Audio/not loving dropping out all the time/etc). Two thumbs up.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 5, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

[This post is still a work in progress. Missing a section on what parts to buy for a hackintosh build, but otherwise it's pretty good. I probably should have reserved an additional post, this section is pretty convoluted now.]

Advanced Subjects:

How do I remove Chameleon?

This is not an easy question. Chameleon installs part of itself (boot0) to the drive itself - the only safe way to remove that is to format the drive. You can, however, remove enough of Chameleon that it does not work anymore without having to reformat. Note that this guide expects you to have a Clover USB stick and a Yosemite install drive ready to go - you will not be able to boot into OS X without Clover after. Take a minute and make sure you have all your stuff in order.

Enable the showing of hidden files: http://blog.bertvanlangen.com/articles/toggle-hidden-files-finder-os-x-10-10-yosemite/

Go into the root of your drive containing Chameleon. You should see a file called 'boot' and perhaps a few other files named 'bootX', with X being a number. Delete those files - they are part of Chameleon. Delete the /Extra/ folder too. Disable 'show hidden files'. Done.

That should get you going. Chameleon is still present in part, but it won't work anymore. If you try to boot the Mac drive in non-EFI mode, you'll get a bootloader error but that isn't exactly the end of the world. It is cleaner to nuke the drive all together, if you're up for that.

How do I migrate from Chameleon to Clover? Kexts, etc?

What I like to do here is to nuke /System/Library/Extensions. Ever since Apple broke the loading of kextcaches from outside of system-specified paths in Chameleon, Chameleon users have been installing all kexts directly to SLE instead of /Extras/Extensions. This is less than ideal - now your SLE folder is non-standard, full of Chameleon specific kexts.

So, uh, fire up the OS X installer and fire up terminal and just delete the whole folder on the drive in question. In terminal, 'CD' to '/', command being 'cd /'. Go into /Volumes/, do an LS, type cd and the first character of the name of the drive containing your OS install. Hit tab now - it will autocomplete your way in. You must be comfortable enough with the terminal to CD into a path, LS a directory, and rm -rf the right one. Stop here if you aren't, unless you are willing to risk messing something up. :eek:

Running the installer on top of the now-broken install will get you into a bootable state, reinstalling SLE. You shouldn't lose any legitimate third party kexts this way; third party kexts (should be, if the developer is responsible) installed to /Library/Extensions, as opposed to /System/Library/Extensions.

I have a Time Machine backup from a Chameleon based hackintosh, how do I migrate to Clover

This is tricky. Your backup is full of random hackintosh kexts/files that you don't want on a Clover setup, like parts of Chameleon. Here's what I would do:

Boot the OS X installer using Clover. Launch Disk Utility, select the drive you want to restore the backup to. Note that the drive will be formatted during this process.

Go to create partition and create a new partition of a slightly smaller size than the maximum allowed one. Make sure that GUID is selected under 'options'. Now partition it back to the maximum allowed size. Finally, format the partition in question as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The goal of these steps is to ensure Chameleon boot0 is removed from the drive.

Restore the backup. Once the restore is done, boot the OS X installer again. Delete the /System/Library/Extensions folder on the drive you restored to using Terminal. Install OS X on top of that drive - this will recreate /S/L/E. Boot the restored drive using Clover. Do the 'show hidden files' thing from before and delete the file named boot in the root of the drive, and also delete /Extra/. Done.

I want to update Clover. How do I do that?

When you install Clover, it offers to install a PrefPane. That is the official way to update. I'm not a fan of that though, as those builds are always a few days old. If you see a fix you want in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/commit_browser, chances are good it is not in the latest release build. The PrefPane is a perfectly reasonable way to update (even more normal: don't update unless something is broken and you know the current build fixes it). That said...

I build Clover from source. There is a nice automated tool to do all the work for you! CloverGrowerPro.

First step: Install Xcode. Launch it, give it your password to enable 'developer mode' and quit. Launch Terminal. You're going to want to make a folder to put projects (as in any Hackintosh tool that is built from source) in. The default folder Terminal opens to is your home directory, which would work fine. Type mkdir Projects and hit enter. CD into that folder - cd Projects and hit enter.

Type this and hit enter
code:
git pull https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro.git
and wait for it to complete. CD into that new folder created - you can type LS to see the folder name, of you can just look inside Finder. Whichever you like.

Type ./C and hit tab. It should auto complete './CloverGrowerPro.sh'. That's what you want. Hit enter.

There is a pretty verbose setup to this tool. Everything can and should be left at default except for the following:

When it asks you to Check for an update Every Day, Week, Month: select 'Day' (so enter D). This is for when you use the tool, if it should check and see if there is an update to the Clover compiling tool. You want that as day.

When it asks 'Build the installer package after the compilation (No, Ask, Yes) [Ask]' Type 'Yes'. Now you got a bit of a long wait for the next step. Stick around, there is one more non-default setting to enter.

After it's done building GCC, pulling some source code etc, it'll ask you 'Do you want svn or git local clover repository [svn]:'. Type git and hit enter (if you are curious why, the SVN occasionally goes down and the git repo stays up). That's the last non-default thing to enter.

Finder will pop up with a .pkg shortly.

Now that you're done: you can update Clover in the future by launching terminal, typing CloverPro and hitting enter. Will be much quicker from here on out.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 5, 2015

alo
May 1, 2005

A number of the links are broken (the Amazon link to the bluetooth adapter, the link to FakeSMC on mega asks for a decryption key, maybe more).

I'm going to follow this tomorrow and see where I end up.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

A number of the links are broken (the Amazon link to the bluetooth adapter, the link to FakeSMC on mega asks for a decryption key, maybe more).

I'm going to follow this tomorrow and see where I end up.

That'll all be fixed soon. Thread is still in the process of being made.

alo
May 1, 2005

enMTW posted:

That'll all be fixed soon. Thread is still in the process of being made.

No problem. I was able to figure everything out, except for the audio (broken link, not enough context to figure it out), from your guide.

I'm running a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H with a Radeon 6850. Sleep works (except waking from USB/Bluetooth is broken). Good enough.

Thanks!

edit: I had the brilliant idea of looking at the old thread for working links!

alo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 23, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

No problem. I was able to figure everything out, except for the audio (broken link, not enough context to figure it out), from your guide.

I'm running a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H with a Radeon 6850. Sleep works (except waking from USB/Bluetooth is broken). Good enough.

Thanks!

edit: I had the brilliant idea of looking at the old thread for working links!

Let me know if sleep doesn't work once you are done, I'll probably be able to help.

alo
May 1, 2005

enMTW posted:

Let me know if sleep doesn't work once you are done, I'll probably be able to help.

Thanks for the offer. I've actually got one of the PCI-E Bluetooth/Wifi adapters coming in the mail, so I'll wait until I get that to try it out. It's mainly that waking from keyboard/mouse doesn't work (I have to hit the power button to wake my computer). Not really a big deal considering that my computer actually goes to sleep and wakes up without any other issues.

It's amazing how much easier this gets every year (I'm sure most of it was due to your guide allowing me to skip reading 15 hours of forum posts).

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

It's amazing how much easier this gets every year (I'm sure most of it was due to your guide allowing me to skip reading 15 hours of forum posts).

:)

Were you able to get sound working?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on getting the guide up!

You had it easy alo. The guides out there are cluster fucks :commissar:. It was bad enough to put me off trying to switch to Clover until I found enMTW. Gave some blood and sweat myself to get this guide into a user friendly state by running through the instructions a second time to smooth out the process. It didn't help other guides out there try to get you to combine the installer with Clover which breaks the thing before you get started. It's great that you found it so straight forward despite it being unfinished.

But all hands to enMTW for doing the heavy lifting.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Congrats on getting the guide up!

You had it easy alo. The guides out there are cluster fucks :commissar:. It was bad enough to put me off trying to switch to Clover until I found enMTW. Gave some blood and sweat myself to get this guide into a user friendly state by running through the instructions a second time to smooth out the process. It didn't help other guides out there try to get you to combine the installer with Clover which breaks the thing before you get started. It's great that you found it so straight forward despite it being unfinished.

But all hands to enMTW for doing the heavy lifting.

It's mostly finished now, just updated the links. Wasn't aware they were broken until Alo said something. I haven't added the recommended builds/what to look for in a motherboard/migrating from Chameleon to Clover part yet, but that's coming tonight. :)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Thank you for this--I've since bought a real mac, but I remember actually trying to install OS X on a PC I had a few months ago it was so daunting since there aren't really any good, recent guides out there.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

robodex posted:

Thank you for this--I've since bought a real mac, but I remember actually trying to install OS X on a PC I had a few months ago it was so daunting since there aren't really any good, recent guides out there.

No problem! Happy to help!

I agree, no one seems to have written a good guide for Clover - TonyMac is still trying to push his Chameleon fork, InsanelyMac types don't like to write tutorials, the CloverEFI team is more interested in solving Clover problems than writing a tutorial, etc.

alo
May 1, 2005

enMTW posted:

Were you able to get sound working?

Yup. Just reinstalling programs at this point. Thanks once again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

Yup. Just reinstalling programs at this point. Thanks once again.

No problem! From here on out you can make a Time Machine backup if you want - restoring from Time Machine doesn't work in Chameleon but you can just boot the Recovery Partition/Installer like normal with Clover and restore. It'll restore correctly and all.

No more reinstalling programs, etc.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

enMTW posted:

No problem! Happy to help!

I agree, no one seems to have written a good guide for Clover - TonyMac is still trying to push his Chameleon fork, InsanelyMac types don't like to write tutorials, the CloverEFI team is more interested in solving Clover problems than writing a tutorial, etc.

Yeah, exactly. At the time I ended up just trying my best since I had literally no clue what I was doing and there weren't really any guides that weren't super vague or assumed you had detailed knowledge about how everything worked. It went about as well as you would think!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Made some more edits, added the workings of another section. Could a mod please change the tag of the thread to the Apple one?

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 23, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

The rest of the thread will be finished tonight. Keep the impressions/feedback coming!

alo
May 1, 2005

Just want to report back saying that I got the PCI-E Bluetooth/Wifi (the one from Amazon with Prime shipping) adapter in. Bluetooth seems to work well. It's running in a spare PCI-E x16 slot without issues. I haven't tested Wifi, but it appears to see all of the local networks.

I've gone through a number of Bluetooth USB adapters with hackintoshes. Sometimes they'll stutter or have disconnecting problems. Enough that I keep a wired mouse nearby (plus Magic Mice are terrible for playing Doom). This one appears to work. My previous "mostly works" adapter is an IOGEAR GBU521. I'd occasionally have to pull it out and reseat it after a wake from sleep, then reconnect my mouse.

I still have to hit the power button to wake my computer, but not a big deal if sleep actually works.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

Just want to report back saying that I got the PCI-E Bluetooth/Wifi (the one from Amazon with Prime shipping) adapter in. Bluetooth seems to work well. It's running in a spare PCI-E x16 slot without issues. I haven't tested Wifi, but it appears to see all of the local networks.

I've gone through a number of Bluetooth USB adapters with hackintoshes. Sometimes they'll stutter or have disconnecting problems. Enough that I keep a wired mouse nearby (plus Magic Mice are terrible for playing Doom). This one appears to work. My previous "mostly works" adapter is an IOGEAR GBU521. I'd occasionally have to pull it out and reseat it after a wake from sleep, then reconnect my mouse.

I still have to hit the power button to wake my computer, but not a big deal if sleep actually works.

Nice. 16x is iffy, but it works with most Gigabyte boards.

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? Might be work checking if Handoff is showing up as working (some adapters need a different SMBios/you to run Continuity Enabler, one or the other) if you want to use that feature. Easy to enable, if it isn't.

System Profiler - Bluetooth - "Handoff Supported". If it shows as 'Yes', you're in business.

Yeah, non-Apple bluetooth adapters suck.

Try setting 'darkwake=1' as a boot arg. Sleep issues are complicated - worth Googling your motherboard + darkwake to get the darkwake value people use to solve that issue, if you care enough to screw around with it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a term for a Mac running an unsupported config?

Like a bunch of PC cards, a PC video card flashed with Mac firmware, using EFI32 wrapper to get 64-bit OS X running, etc?

It's in a Mac, but none of it is supported configurations. It's all hacked together. A hacked Macintosh, if you will.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Xenomorph posted:

Like a bunch of PC cards, a PC video card flashed with Mac firmware, using EFI32 wrapper to get 64-bit OS X running, etc?

It's in a Mac, but none of it is supported configurations. It's all hacked together. A hacked Macintosh, if you will.

Those are Frankenmacs - got a couple myself.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, you mean like a Mac Pro 1,1 with a rapper to get modern OS X working? Dunno if anyone ever coined a term. The 'Hackintosh' terminology predates the existence of Macs meeting the description you laid out.

I've always wanted to rip the 64bit EFI module out of the Mac Pro 3,1 firmware and inject it into a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 firmware, but I've never had the time/a Mac Pro1,1 to test with. Someone should do that at some point. That one module is generic, save for where it looks for the Board-ID/etc.

Much cleaner than using a third-party bootloader.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Just got a MacPro2,1, actually.

Saved and modified my Radeon HD5870 firmware, then flashed it to the card in DOS. It's using a weird SATA to Molex to PCIe adapter for power. I just got a Mini 6-pin to 6-pin adapter, though.

I'm trying to find more info on best "PC stuff" to cram in a Mac. My actual Hackintosh setup doesn't get used much any more. OS X updates kept killing stuff, I had to keep re-loading the audio drivers, etc. So now I mostly have second-hand Macs, filled with compatible-stuff ordered off Newegg.

I'm trying to find a good USB 3.0 card for OS X.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Xenomorph posted:

Just got a MacPro2,1, actually.

Saved and modified my Radeon HD5870 firmware, then flashed it to the card in DOS. It's using a weird SATA to Molex to PCIe adapter for power. I just got a Mini 6-pin to 6-pin adapter, though.

I'm trying to find more info on best "PC stuff" to cram in a Mac. My actual Hackintosh setup doesn't get used much any more. OS X updates kept killing stuff, I had to keep re-loading the audio drivers, etc. So now I mostly have second-hand Macs, filled with compatible-stuff ordered off Newegg.

I'm trying to find a good USB 3.0 card for OS X.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php will be invaluable - lots of info there. You can get proper power cables off https://www.macvidcards.com or eBay. Cheap.

The Mac Rumors 'Mac Pro' fourm section is also good. http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

Not for nothing, but audio/etc is easy now. With my guide, updates won't kill it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2015

alo
May 1, 2005

I can't seem to find this answered anywhere online (or I'm just googling for the wrong thing):

Can you edit the Clover boot arguments from the command line (like Chameleon or GRUB, for example)? There are menu options for verbose/no caches/etc, but what if you want to edit something else?

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Nice OP. I look forward to trying this out when I upgrade my main PC. I first tried this on an Asus A53E laptop I was borrowing from my mother, but used Chameleon, Unibeast and Multibeast and was never able to get it working to a really usable level. Recently I bought an HP ProBook 6560b and followed the instructions that came with the ProBook installer packages (Easy mode, I know) and it works like a dream!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

I can't seem to find this answered anywhere online (or I'm just googling for the wrong thing):

Can you edit the Clover boot arguments from the command line (like Chameleon or GRUB, for example)? There are menu options for verbose/no caches/etc, but what if you want to edit something else?

You can't edit the options that appear without recompiling but you can go into the Config tab and enter boot args. They don't stick there, but you can boot with them for the moment. Perm boot-args are set in config.plist

LoSesMC posted:

Nice OP. I look forward to trying this out when I upgrade my main PC. I first tried this on an Asus A53E laptop I was borrowing from my mother, but used Chameleon, Unibeast and Multibeast and was never able to get it working to a really usable level. Recently I bought an HP ProBook 6560b and followed the instructions that came with the ProBook installer packages (Easy mode, I know) and it works like a dream!

No problem. Laptops are still a pain, but the ProBooks are nicely supported. Clover can help you with those too, automating the kext patching and whatnot.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 26, 2015

Videm
Sep 6, 2010
I just finished installing Yosemite and getting my Lenovo T440s into working condition. From what I could gather my Intel 7260 BT ACBGN wireless card isn't supported and the BIOS only lets you install certain cards. Are there any good options for me for WiFi? USB?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Videm posted:

I just finished installing Yosemite and getting my Lenovo T440s into working condition. From what I could gather my Intel 7260 BT ACBGN wireless card isn't supported and the BIOS only lets you install certain cards. Are there any good options for me for WiFi? USB?

You should find online either a pre-patched BIOS or the information to do it yourself with a hex editor. If they've not changed it since I did mine for my old T420s, it's just one byte difference.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When I did this a couple years ago I was able to install OSX through VMWare onto a physical partition, and when i rebooted with a proper bootloader(it was chameleon back then I think) it worked just fine; Is this still the case? I googled for a little while but only found outdated information.

The only reason I would like to go about it this way is because I want to preserve my windows install on the first partition of this harddrive, and install OSX on the 2nd partition. So perhaps there is a better way to accomplish what I'd like to without my above method?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Incomplete Fish posted:

When I did this a couple years ago I was able to install OSX through VMWare onto a physical partition, and when i rebooted with a proper bootloader(it was chameleon back then I think) it worked just fine; Is this still the case? I googled for a little while but only found outdated information.

The only reason I would like to go about it this way is because I want to preserve my windows install on the first partition of this harddrive, and install OSX on the 2nd partition. So perhaps there is a better way to accomplish what I'd like to without my above method?

I've never tried anything like that or recommend it, I just have no experience with that.

I would strongly recommend installing OS X on a second hard drive or formatting the Windows drive, installing OS X and partitioning said drive for Windows through Boot Camp.

Some Boot Camp tips:

Real Macs install windows through legacy (non-MBR) boot. Once you partition, boot your install drive through non-EFI entries in the F12 menu - so, in other words, look for 'PX <drive name> instead of 'UEFI <drive name>'.

If you are installing Windows 7 (as opposed to 8, 8.1, 10) you must disconnect HFS+ formatted (so Mac) hard drives. Long standing Windows 7 issue that Apple works around. There are some guides online on how to install without doing that, but the easy way is to just disconnect the drives/disable them in BIOS.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 27, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Thread updated with Chameleon removal instructions, more.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 27, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had a look at that section and it looks good. The only problem is the implied familiarly with terminal. You need to give a template command to use to delete S/L/E from the installer. I had the benefit of a working install to delete S/L/E and messing with files from, reducing my need to go into terminal.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Had a look at that section and it looks good. The only problem is the implied familiarly with terminal. You need to give a template command to use to delete S/L/E from the installer. I had the benefit of a working install to delete S/L/E and messing with files from, reducing my need to go into terminal.

I can't find a good way around it. Cleaning a Chameleon install is an advanced thing, basic terminal 'cd, ls, rm -rf <path>' knowledge is required for me to be able to safely recommend nuking entire folders. I might toss in a bit about how to get to the right drive through terminal, though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair enough, how about linking to a terminal command resource since teaching terminal commands is starting to leave the scoop of the guide anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Fair enough, how about linking to a terminal command resource since teaching terminal commands is starting to leave the scoop of the guide anyway.

Will do. I added some more info about Terminal to that section too.

• Locked thread