Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

Well, I just switched to VoodooHDA, and it seems to be working great.

The only issue I've seen is that there's severe mic feedback/hiss from my disconnected mic ports. If I mute them all in Voodoo's preferences pane, it's completely gone. And sleep seems to work 100% (fingers crossed).

Why do you say it's poo poo? I know it isn't as clean a solution as using the Apple driver, but it seems to work great.

You answered it. Lots of audio feedback and general instability. As Apple did not make it, it can and does break with system updates in a bad way (kernel panicing instead of audio just not working)

VoodooHDA is very finicky and barely maintained anymore and (IMO) not worth it just for sleep. It exists for audio chipsets that are incompatible with AppleHDA (even then, buying a $10 USB DAC that is natively supported is the far better solution. No AppleHDA patch required.)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I had a bitch of a time of it, but I got my friends x99m gaming working, even though it was my first build. The op instruction sucked for it, though so I had to hodgepodge some different methods together and the only problem he's reported is a missing dock with black background every once in a while.

Every forum I asked was quiet as poo poo even in threads about the exact board so I'm sure shits minorly fucky but for now he's happy and it's stable, so I'll have to take a look when I get back in town.

Things I want to fix:
Random missing dock with black background after startup (fixed with restarts for now).
Onboard audio.
Currently using chameleon, I have no idea if it's bad, because everyone has bad opinions that they can't explain in simple terms but most support seems to be with Clover.
Couple USB ports don't work with his external sound card.

Yeah the OP is not for X99 and other unsupported Intel chipsets. RampageDev has a guide for that, I think. [EDIT: he does. http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=55]

I explained exactly why Chameleon is bad in simple words in the OP! It is an old thing Apple developed in 2005 for the Intel transition. It was not intended to be used with 10.10. Problems include NVRam writes not saving (iMessage) and not being able to boot unmodified OS X installers, among many many others. Supporting Chameleon installs is outside the scope of this thread.

That said....

The black dock thing is either related to the graphics card or Chameleon (not in that the boot-loader is causing it, just that whatever you did to get OS X working is what caused it). What GPU is it? If it's a Nvidia card that requires the WebDriver, make sure you are running the latest WebDriver.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 5, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another thing that might be helpful is whether you have turned off Intel graphics. I haven't done a dual Intel/GFX system yet, although that might be something worth while to test for the guide enMTW?

The USB thing is likely a Chameleon thing plus the methods you did to get it running like what happened to my USB. It looks like RampageDev has covered why you are having issues. Basically you fix it by moving off Chameleon especially since the current build is not likely to be stable and is in a glitch minefield.

Chameleon is bad as it is a hack on a hack on a hack from 2005. Since Clover, I haven't had a single KP. It's that good.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Another thing that might be helpful is whether you have turned off Intel graphics. I haven't done a dual Intel/GFX system yet, although that might be something worth while to test for the guide enMTW?

The USB thing is likely a Chameleon thing plus the methods you did to get it running like what happened to my USB. It looks like RampageDev has covered why you are having issues. Basically you fix it by moving off Chameleon especially since the current build is not likely to be stable and is in a glitch minefield.

Chameleon is bad as it is a hack on a hack on a hack from 2005. Since Clover, I haven't had a single KP. It's that good.

Oh, yeah. Intel graphics does cause weird corruption when used on certain motherboards in combination with a dedicated GPU. Try turning it off. I'm rewriting the guide now, I'll include Intel HD stuff in the new one.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My Yosemite hackintosh on my GA-H81M-H is stable 99% of the time, but once a day or so it reboots. It just freezes, screen blanks for a second, then it reboots. Nothing is written to any logs (last entries are from a few minutes before the problem). It often seems to happen while installing something (pkg installers, Adobe installers, or just homebrew and such), but I can't trigger it with any artificial disk/CPU/memory loads.

Now, the disk I'm using for OSX is pretty old and it's certainly conceivable that it could be bad... but none of the disk scanning utilities see it as bad. I'm sure the rest of my hardware is fine, no issues under Windows or Linux.

How can I possibly diagnose this when it's random, unreproducible, and leaves no trace?

(It happens with both AppleHDA and VoodooHDA, by the way. It isn't related to that.)

EDIT: Second, unrelated question: Do the Clover settings I use to boot the installer/the installed system the first time need to be similar to the settings I use for the final system? Or I can just half-rear end the Clover USB's settings and pay careful attention to the final one once it's installed?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Usually unexplained restarts with no corresponding log entries point to bad hardware. Could be the machine is overheating and restarting itself? I know you said you tested it but it'd be worth it to monitor your temperatures.

Alternately could be PSU-related.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

robodex posted:

Usually unexplained restarts with no corresponding log entries point to bad hardware. Could be the machine is overheating and restarting itself? I know you said you tested it but it'd be worth it to monitor your temperatures.
I can run CPU stress tests while staying at reasonable temperatures, so not likely.

quote:

Alternately could be PSU-related.
I recently got a new PSU with a Seasonic OEM that has no problems with intense Windows gaming... so also not likely.

I suspect the drive, since it's pretty old, but there are no obvious problems with it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just had an "unexplained restart" a couple of days ago and it ended up being a bad stick of ram. So yeah, test that too while you're at it. Windows has a "memory diagnostic tool" that's useful.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Unexpected restarts are hard to diagnose. Check the RAM, GPU and SSD.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Put 10.11 DP6 on my test drive. All is well. Clover devs have a bit of work to do (kext injection is broken) but disabling SIP/etc works fine. CloverALC is good, installing the OS through MAS is working, etc etc etc.

👍.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 7, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

Yeah the OP is not for X99 and other unsupported Intel chipsets. RampageDev has a guide for that, I think. [EDIT: he does. http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=55]

I explained exactly why Chameleon is bad in simple words in the OP! It is an old thing Apple developed in 2005 for the Intel transition. It was not intended to be used with 10.10. Problems include NVRam writes not saving (iMessage) and not being able to boot unmodified OS X installers, among many many others. Supporting Chameleon installs is outside the scope of this thread.

That said....

The black dock thing is either related to the graphics card or Chameleon (not in that the boot-loader is causing it, just that whatever you did to get OS X working is what caused it). What GPU is it? If it's a Nvidia card that requires the WebDriver, make sure you are running the latest WebDriver.

Thanks I'll have to check this out upon return to Vegas.

Chameleon was used in another x99 build and I was in the process of undoing everything when poo poo started working. Once I loaded the right kexts and the 10.10.4 Nvidia web driver, it started working flawlessly during my short QA period.

Trust me I didn't want to use chameleon because up till that point it was a loving nightmare, but I literally had to leave that night for six weeks of duty, so boxing it up and shipping it was my last minute decision so he could play with his $1500 toy.

Build was the hardest week of my life up till that point, and in the literal eleventh hour it just worked.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks I'll have to check this out upon return to Vegas.

Chameleon was used in another x99 build and I was in the process of undoing everything when poo poo started working. Once I loaded the right kexts and the 10.10.4 Nvidia web driver, it started working flawlessly during my short QA period.

Trust me I didn't want to use chameleon because up till that point it was a loving nightmare, but I literally had to leave that night for six weeks of duty, so boxing it up and shipping it was my last minute decision so he could play with his $1500 toy.

Build was the hardest week of my life up till that point, and in the literal eleventh hour it just worked.

Sorry to hear about all of that. if you ever have that kind of 'hell build' again, just PM me. I can always help via Skype or whatever.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

I posted:

reboots
Update to this: I reinstalled, and it hasn't done it since- EXCEPT, it rebooted once instead of waking from sleep. Still no log, but at least it wasn't random this time. I've tried changing a few Clover settings (DSDT "fixes") and haven't reproduced the problem yet.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a Crucial M500 960GB partitioned into a 128gb HFS+ for OSX, and the rest is a 'stuff' folder meant for exchange between Windows and OSX.

Initially this was NTFS which is of course read-only to OSX. There are ways, yes, but I wasn't so sure about them, drivers like NTFS3G or a terminal command to enable native read/write access. Then I re-partitioned and turned it into FAT32. That worked great except for that some disk images and huge movies don't fit under the 4gb limit there.

So - great idea! ExFAT right? It's used on memory cards and flash drives! It'll work great! So after copying all the stuff onto it, it stopped working after a reboot. It just showed up as as a greyed out disk1s4 in Disk utility. Mission failed. It's back to FAT32 for the time being.

What's the best file system to use for this?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EXFAT. As for why it didn't work is the real mystery, not that you chose EXFAT.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

0toShifty posted:

I have a Crucial M500 960GB partitioned into a 128gb HFS+ for OSX, and the rest is a 'stuff' folder meant for exchange between Windows and OSX.

Initially this was NTFS which is of course read-only to OSX. There are ways, yes, but I wasn't so sure about them, drivers like NTFS3G or a terminal command to enable native read/write access. Then I re-partitioned and turned it into FAT32. That worked great except for that some disk images and huge movies don't fit under the 4gb limit there.

So - great idea! ExFAT right? It's used on memory cards and flash drives! It'll work great! So after copying all the stuff onto it, it stopped working after a reboot. It just showed up as as a greyed out disk1s4 in Disk utility. Mission failed. It's back to FAT32 for the time being.

What's the best file system to use for this?

I've run Tuxera NTFS for years and never have had a problem with it. I recommend it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.10.5 is out. Update like normal, all is well. Here's the beta WebDriver, if you need the WebDriver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/WRBEs34ftfButwXtaavWNlkuyUgMDQik/WebDriver-346.02.03b01.pkg

A final will be out tomorrow or the next day.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've got what used to be a perfectly working 10.10.4 install with Clover on its own SSD. Stupidly, I upgraded to Windows 10, which also lives on its own SSD, but I didn't unplug my hackintosh drive when I did so. It somehow wrote Windows Boot Manager into the partition on my hackintosh drive, and now Clover won't boot.

I've pulled the drive, mounted it on my MBP and reinstalled Clover, but no dice. Do I have to repartition and restore from backup or is there any other way to fix this?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've got what used to be a perfectly working 10.10.4 install with Clover on its own SSD. Stupidly, I upgraded to Windows 10, which also lives on its own SSD, but I didn't unplug my hackintosh drive when I did so. It somehow wrote Windows Boot Manager into the partition on my hackintosh drive, and now Clover won't boot.

I've pulled the drive, mounted it on my MBP and reinstalled Clover, but no dice. Do I have to repartition and restore from backup or is there any other way to fix this?

That's a hard one. I can't think of a great way to fix that. You could install Clover in 'legacy mode', that should overwrite the Windows bootloader.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I assume that would require re-enabling legacy booting in my BIOS, yes? If that works, that would be nice, as I have a Gigabyte Z97N Gaming 5 and UEFI has always been pretty hinky with this thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's weird. I installed Windows 10 twice (upgrading a 7 copy, then doing a clean install) and didn't screw up my Clover at all.

I recommend, if you don't do this already, that you make a UEFI installer and then install it directly into unused space. Following this tutorial, you run your Win7/8/10 ISO onto USB via some third-party app called Rufus, and check a few boxes for UEFI support, and then when you install (assuming a clean install) you delete all your partitions on the Windows SSD and try to create new drives out of the empty space, and it will make several partitions to handle UEFI booting.

This works flawlessly with Clover, I just had to go into my BIOS settings and reorder my boot devices so that the Clover drive was first in line. I thought everybody had to do this, as I wasn't able to boot Windows from Clover at some point when I had an old MBR install like Microsoft defaults to still.

As for how to get into an OSX install after the bootloader has already been hosed up, I can't totally remember. Maybe some kind of Unibeast/Chameleon boot drive will let you boot into your Yosemite install and then reinstall Clover from there?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

As for how to get into an OSX install after the bootloader has already been hosed up, I can't totally remember. Maybe some kind of Unibeast/Chameleon boot drive will let you boot into your Yosemite install and then reinstall Clover from there?

You can just make a Clover USB drive, but a Chameleon drive would work too.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Final 10.10.5 WebDriver http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.02.03f01/WebDriver-346.02.03f01.pkg

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Just got windows 10 installed on my hackintosh (haven't had a windows partition in about a year now and figured I may as well jump on free windows 10 upgrade while the getting was good).

Has anyone gotten any boot camp stuff working with windows 10? I'm running Clover and 10.10.5, have apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse and would really like to get them working with windows as well.

Also, I want to upgrade my wifi n and Bluetooth dongle to a single card and also get wifi ac, would this card work fine? Don't mind paying a bit extra for Prime

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Ok, I got most of the boot camp stuff working with windows 10. Keyboard can now control the brightness and volume of my Cinema Display, and I can get into the boot camp options. Ordered that wifi/Bluetooth card as my current Bluetooth setup doesn't allow the keyboard or mouse to work in clovers menu.

The only thing that isn't working how it's supposed to now is the "Boot to OS x" menu option won't auto select OS X in the clover menu like doing the reverse will with startup disk. I'm hoping the Bluetooth keyboard can stay connected from a restart with windows so I can select stuff.

I'll get the card Friday so I'll post if stuff works properly once it's in and booted up.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Going to convert my desktop over to OS X, I hope it's not as miserable as it used to be.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Got that wifi card and installed it yesterday, and now have fully working bluetooth in bios and clover menu, and my signal is much stronger due to longer antennas. Don't have an AC router yet so can't test but it has 3 antennas so I should see full AC speed.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Thorpe posted:

Got that wifi card and installed it yesterday, and now have fully working bluetooth in bios and clover menu, and my signal is much stronger due to longer antennas. Don't have an AC router yet so can't test but it has 3 antennas so I should see full AC speed.

Yay! Does AirDrop/etc work? Maps sees your location?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

enMTW posted:

Yay! Does AirDrop/etc work? Maps sees your location?

I know Bluetooth handoff works, but I haven't tried airdrop or maps yet. I will tomorrow. I had to install the boot camp drivers for Bluetooth and wifi for it to work with windows so I don't see why they shouldn't work, it's the same wifi/Bluetooth card used in actual macs.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I can confirm that airdrop works and maps found my location no problem. I think all I have to work on now is making sure power and speedstep is working properly to have everything work on this thing.

For interests sake my computer is:
Intel i5-3570k
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
Nvidia GTX 670
Apple wifi ac/bluetooth 4.0 card

Using an iMac 13,2 SMBIOS (can't remember exactly why I went with this one, but I know there was a reason. Maybe so airplay would work.) I don't use the onboard ethernet and have it disabled, same with sound as I have a cinema display with built in speakers or an external card for studio monitors. If anyone has a similar build and has any questions I can more than likely help,

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Having a hard time getting Audio up on my GA-Z87X-UD5 TH... Wasn't an issue when I had my USB Monitor's internal speakers, but I would like to get it working now.

It's the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH with the Realtek ALC898 sound board, and I went to insanelymac to try to find the proper kext, and I got this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/247-applehda-for-alc898-1093/

I found it confusing to use, wasn't sure how I'm supposed to install it? I tried dragging individual kext's into my kext folders on my EFI, but no dice. Any ideas?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Having a hard time getting Audio up on my GA-Z87X-UD5 TH... Wasn't an issue when I had my USB Monitor's internal speakers, but I would like to get it working now.

It's the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH with the Realtek ALC898 sound board, and I went to insanelymac to try to find the proper kext, and I got this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/247-applehda-for-alc898-1093/

I found it confusing to use, wasn't sure how I'm supposed to install it? I tried dragging individual kext's into my kext folders on my EFI, but no dice. Any ideas?

Those kexts are identical to what CloverALC outputs. I wouldn't install them. You can't replace AppleHDA through Clover injection that way, it must be installed over the existing AppleHDA. Kext wizard can help with that.

I'm making *images* for the new thread now. Have a nice little flow chart. Close to being done with it, please be excited.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

Those kexts are identical to what CloverALC outputs. I wouldn't install them. You can't replace AppleHDA through Clover injection that way, it must be installed over the existing AppleHDA. Kext wizard can help with that.

I'm making *images* for the new thread now. Have a nice little flow chart. Close to being done with it, please be excited.

My body is ready.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

enMTW posted:

Thanks for taking this over, by the way. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help much or at all, I've just been busy and know preciously little about all this new stuff.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

Thanks for taking this over, by the way. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help much or at all, I've just been busy and know preciously little about all this new stuff.

No big deal! :)

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

enMTW posted:

This is very nice. When El Capitan goes final I'm going to start from scratch with Clover this time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinestro posted:

Change the tag to Apple while your here!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

oohhboy posted:

Change the tag to Apple while your here!

No one seems to get my Very Clever Joke. :(

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

No one seems to get my Very Clever Joke. :(

Even if it were funny, comedy doesn't outweigh the difficulty people have finding the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enMTW posted:

Even if it were funny, comedy doesn't outweigh the difficulty people have finding the thread.

You know want the joke is?

• Locked thread