Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

:siren::siren::siren: Alpha has started and, so far, we have had an amazing start. Poopsocking is at an all time high.:siren::siren::siren:

What is Albion?

"Albion Online is the first truly cross-platform MMO experience, available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, with all players on one master server in one massive, sprawling world. You choose how your adventure evolves; at home or on the go!"

It is a sand box, open world, RPG with full loot on death. It is currently in Alpha and is easily more polished then most games in release. At this point they are integrating new ideas and working on balance. The new Alpha starts June 29th for Legendary accounts and the 30th for Epic accounts.

Why would I want to play this?

If you ever played 90's RPG titles that are difficult, but heart-pumping PvP then you might want to look at this. Running around the country side trying to collect resources knowing that at any moment you could get jumped and looted is a feeling that few games, today, can offer. The reverse is running around in a squad looking for someone to jump on and hope for the spoils of combat to be fruitful. Albion is true, full loot and doesn't hold your hand for it.

Not a fighter? There is plenty of room for you as well. Every building the guild owns requires food and getting food requires farming or PvE drops. If you want to farm all day and/or craft for the guild then you are welcome to do so.

Albion is a classless system and what you can wear, craft and collect is based on your collective experience and specific experience within an area. When you wear plate armor and gain experience then you eventually can wear higher tier plate armor. When you use a specific weapon type, you work your way up to strong tiers of that type. Want to be a caster that wears a leather hat for invisibility and plate boots for more Phys Defense? Knock yourself out.

Player owned structures. You can have Guild owned zones in the wilderness, a player can own plots in town and try to attract business, or a player can have personally owned structures in designated wilderness zones. You have a personal island that has plots for structures and farms.

Player driven economy. There are no NPC's to sell to or buy from. Every piece of silver is dropped from a mob, and every piece of equipment is dropped or crafted.

Did I mention full loot?

Is it all Pvp?

No, there are safe zones. Towns are safe zones, guild areas have an influence of safety and there are zones that do not allow PvP. Guild areas are were most of the crafting will take place. Last alpha, we were lead to believe this alpha as well, there were three types of zones: Green, Yellow and Red.
Green zones: Had PvP disabled and had the lowest tier resources (T 1-3).
Yellow zones: Limited PvP and you had to flag to attack other players who were not flagged. The process of flagging and unflagging takes 30s and you cannot move. Also, if you were flagged then everyone in the zone could see where you were on the mini-map and non-flagged could attack flagged without penalty. T 2-5 (6ish?) resources in the zone
Red zones: Full PvP all day erryday with the high tier resources and mobs.

They said they changed how Yellow zones work a bit and we are unsure just how different they are.

Pay to win?

Currently that is not the case and it seems like they are very aware and trying really hard to keep it that way. There will be a second currency (Gold) that will be purchasable for real life dollars. It is more of a time saving mechanism and they are still working on balance for its uses and impact on the game. So far nobody is scared that it will be pay to win, we just understand that it has the potential to be if the devs gently caress it up (so far so good).

Steam summer sales sucked and I actually have some cash to spend, now what?

Head :siren::siren::siren:HERE:siren::siren::siren: and see which package you want. Legendary and Epic get you in for Alpha and Veteran gets you access for Beta only. Note: This will be free to play on release. You are paying for Alpha/Beta access and getting some helpful in-game items. I have only played one Alpha cycle and got my 50$ worth out of it. The Alphas have lasted roughly 6 weeks.

:siren::siren:JOIN GOONS AND DRINK FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF TEARS.:siren::siren:

Once you have your account and access then make an account on our Offsite Forum and set up a Slacker account. We aren't going full sperg this cycle, but we are trying to maintain efficiency and cohesion. That entails coordinating outside of SA. Also, super secret Goon poo poo. Like mom jokes. We will be using mumble and meeting up in-game at server start up.

Last Alpha we made plenty of friends!

And even had an imposter:

We didn't have our own Guild zone until the end of Alpha, and tried to just do player structures in town before we realized how lovely of an idea that was:

And naked crafting:

We recently started making friends with the community. They are very warm and welcoming! If you have any doubts about what a Goon is then this thread will teach you everything. It seems people on the internet know us better then ourselves.

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/11707-Goonswarm-Vacation-Home/?pageNo=1

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/12185-A-quick-apology-to-those-deserved/?pageNo=1

The CEO of this game seems real cool and kind of "gets" us.

Helpful Links
Getting Started Video
https://forums.albiongoons.com/ Our forum
https://albiongoons.slack.com Our Slacker
https://albiononline.com/en/ Official website
http://albionmeta.com/ Albion Meta, has some really interesting information. Also, helps you see about armor combinations. Like a less poo poo Wiki
https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/11827-Changelog-since-Winter-Alpha/?postID=134774#post134774 Change log from last cycle to this alpha. :siren:
:siren: Eonwe will be our Guild leader for Alpha.

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Some highlight reels. The tears must flow:

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 4, 2015

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Referrals in Albion Online

Goons can earn extra gold to share and special bonuses. Please use the referral links below. These referrals will change from time to time once goons reach their requested reward. PM me if you would like to have me add your referral to this list. Also keep me up to date on what referral rewards you are planning to meet and have met on your account. Below you will find the links to player's referrals. Next is the player offering the referral, followed by rewards they have reached, last is the percent of gold they are willing to give back to goons who clicks their referral link.

Current Referral links
https://albiononline.com/?ref=8SK35AUB9A | forge | 4/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=ND44UUZPG3 | Dodgin | 9/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=RPMHEKYLWU | forgotton | 3/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=SQ6A1CCML7 | Pixelslol | 1/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=VAT3VN92H8 | Ruggan | 0/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=UPED54CMQY | Tempus Thales | 0/10 | 100% player gold returned
https://albiononline.com/?ref=UC362AM83E | sklurb | 0/10 | 100% player gold returned

PM or message the person on slack chat to inform them that you used their link.

Referral Rewards

For each founder’s pack your referred friends purchase, your account will receive the following amounts of gold:

4000 Gold ($16 value) per founder

2000 Gold ($8 value) per founder

1000 Gold ($4 value) per founder

On top of this, you’ll receive a scaling bonus based on the number of referred founders, regardless of the founder tier.

For 1 referral you earn the following items:

For 5 referrals you earn the following items:

For 10 referrals you earn the following items:

Eonwe for guildleader 2016!

forge fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 5, 2015

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
this is the thread, eonwe guildleader did you authorize this with your guildleader seal?

Also be prepared for some interesting changes! 6 days!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow not even third post

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I can't wait for this phase to start up. Was a great month last time!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jabro posted:

Eonwe is the guild leader. Long live, Eonwe.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Eonwe posted:

wow not even third post

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

christ

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
If you are on the fence, this game is really good. The devs had a questionably P2W mechanic in the winter alpha and based on player feed back, it got completely removed. Is it worth 50 dollars to get into the summer alpha? That's up to you, but it's going to be fun and we'd like you to come.

Personal shoutout again to a special someone (you know who you are ;)) for giving me a free 50$ account for this game.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This is unironically a good game™.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 26, 2015

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

If you are on the fence, this game is really good.

tbqf im on the fence about being on the fence :raise:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Space violence rides again breaking immersion of nerds and getting told that newbies in t2 armor have no place in the wilderness zones.

We of course made them eat their words as we drowned them in cheaply geared dudes who had hardly been playing a few hours.

:getin:

Zasze fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 23, 2015

Karnivool
May 28, 2009
I'm ready to poopsock some buildings!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Got nothing to do all summer and I came to check when the alpha was starting up again. Hell yes. This time I can poopsock a little and we'll have a proper goon guild.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
This OP has the appropriate amount of sirens. :golfclap:

In other news, if you buy a $50 epic and refer yourself you get a free dunkey mount in-game.

e: that you will promptly lose

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do they have Android version working yet or is it only on Windows?

Looking forward to paying nothing for this

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

I farm on my Galaxy S5 all the time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jackard posted:

It's made in Unity, the only reason iOS isn't available is that apple has insane review process that would mean the app couldn't be posted until almost the end (if not after) the alpha test was over. Even that you might get slapped with a rejection for requiring an out of app purchase and be told the users HAVE to buy access from inside the app and they can't use an account to "bypass" payment. Apple has been huge assholes to random people and I'm still not sure how audible gets away with being on iOS other then apple doesn't want the user backlash.

I've seen games have premium currency sync between apple and android and then separate it later because apple wants to to have to buy the currency from their store. Google could care less how you buy an app. Google lets the amazon store exist on Android without any issue and that basically sells the exact same apps.

Also the game isn't going to be "free" for probably over a year you're going to have to pay for early access if you want in now.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Excited for next week, even though July is one of the busiest work months for me and I'll probably only have time to play for two or three days, tops.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Any have a screen of our guild banner from last Alpha? If that doesn't inspire then I don't know what the hell will.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

This is unironically a good game™.
We had a lot of fun last alpha, and we are looking forward to even more fun this alpha.

Yes, seriously. This.

Basically, if you enjoy making pubbies cry a lot and taking someones gear and inventory when you kill them then this is really the only game to get into right now besides EVE.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Bought the $50(?) pack a few months ago, played a mage for a few days and had a blast. Really scratches that Ultima Online itch for me.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ninogan posted:

Yes, seriously. This.

Basically, if you enjoy making pubbies cry a lot and taking someones gear and inventory when you kill them then this is really the only game to get into right now besides EVE.

But what about my helmet economy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

App13 posted:

Bought the $50(?) pack a few months ago, played a mage for a few days and had a blast. Really scratches that Ultima Online itch for me.

welcome bud

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Stormgale posted:

But what about my helmet economy

Making them cry is part of your helmet based economy! You have to kill them to destroy / steal back your helmets! Why would they buy another one if you don't destroy the one they just bought?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/11827-Changelog-since-Winter-Alpha/?postID=134774#post134774

changelog since Winter Alpha

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Gunna be good. It sounds like the game has a lot more "just jump in and fart around" type activities.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Some interesting stuff
Reforging: At the repair station you can not only repair and salvage items but also reforge them. Reforging means for a small silver fee you can change the spells on an item
Do I need to have the ablity to make the item? Either way this is going to be pretty awesome.

Anti Zerg Spells: We added spells where the damage increases significantly the more targets you hit! So clustering on one spot is now a bad option combined with the genreal increase of GTAoE spells.
We'll have to do some pincer send in waves if we get people actually using this stuff. It's using a spell slot, if they can't make use of it they are down an ability, it just gives even more reasons for us to send a group behind them to cut off retreats and kill runners.

Enchanted Weapons: We doubled the amount of items. They are meant as a horizontel progression.
Example: You can have a "Tier 5; Level 5 Item" This item needs only T5 resources but some very special new resources which are harder to get then just gathering them in the world. A "Tier 5; Level 5" is as powerful as a "Tier 8; Level 2" item

If it's not too insane might make sense to stack your T5 bonuses up, will also help newbies a good bit more. Actually this will probably be pretty key in the 5v5 GvG stuff.

Scouting; Notification of players in a cluster: In yellow zones it is shown how many hostile players are in an area! In green zones we show how many friendly players are in an area. In red zones we shot you nothing about who is in a zone. Dungeons have the same ruleset as the cluster (green, yellow, red) they are in.
Going to be interesting
Minimap Zerg: Groups larger than 5 are marked on the minimap (this is a testing value which may be increased)
oh, still prevents gank squads, is it a party for the "group"? Who cares if we are in the same party, separate that. If its by distance we will have to enter 5 at a time (party by 5?) and spread out shouldn't be too hard to work around either way.

Flagging: Can't flag hostile in safe zones, can't enter safe zones while being hostile, but made switching from hostile to friendly much faster (unless you recently attacked someone)
This is actually really interesting, and we can probably bate people into attacking and flagging themselves then rush in and murder them. I think we did this before but they could get back into town if they were quick enough.

Yellow Zone PvP Death Penalty: When you get killed by another player in a yellow zone. You get knocked down and you can stand up X seconds later. Your equipment looses durability. A part of this durability loss is left as loot for the attacker in the form of silver.
Just camp their faces so when they get up they just die again. Yellow seems a lot less fun.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

pixaal posted:

Yellow Zone PvP Death Penalty: When you get killed by another player in a yellow zone. You get knocked down and you can stand up X seconds later. Your equipment looses durability. A part of this durability loss is left as loot for the attacker in the form of silver.
Just camp their faces so when they get up they just die again. Yellow seems a lot less fun.

What, does that mean you can't get proper killed in Yellow zones? That sounds hecka dumb

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Trier posted:

What, does that mean you can't get proper killed in Yellow zones? That sounds hecka dumb

That's how I read it, but last alpha the way gear was damaged most of the gear was destroyed anyway so it will still make them cry because you made their stuff worthless.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

pixaal posted:

Making them cry is part of your helmet based economy! You have to kill them to destroy / steal back your helmets! Why would they buy another one if you don't destroy the one they just bought?

Yeah but the interesting thing for me is the supply side, I want to know how you're supposed to be the guy known for making the best X when X isn't unique to you?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Yeah but the interesting thing for me is the supply side, I want to know how you're supposed to be the guy known for making the best X when X isn't unique to you?

The more you make an item the more likely you are to proc a legendary version of it. Also as you go up in tiers gear splits, like "Weapons" becomes "swords" "staffs" etc and swords eventually becomes "Swords" "daggers" and so on and that keeps splitting. So if you make a ton of T4 hammers you will be good at making that one type of T4 hammer. Sure someone else can invade your market but that is how all games work. Its a ton easier to carve a niche then say WoW where every enchanter can make all the enchants.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Does everyone get a house plot, or is it like UO where they were limited by the size of the map?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

pixaal posted:

The more you make an item the more likely you are to proc a legendary version of it. Also as you go up in tiers gear splits, like "Weapons" becomes "swords" "staffs" etc and swords eventually becomes "Swords" "daggers" and so on and that keeps splitting. So if you make a ton of T4 hammers you will be good at making that one type of T4 hammer. Sure someone else can invade your market but that is how all games work. Its a ton easier to carve a niche then say WoW where every enchanter can make all the enchants.

Inversely in that system how would a new crafter compete?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
@Eonwe: Leading by denial #guildleader.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Inversely in that system how would a new crafter compete?

There's still a limit to how many items can be produced by any one person due to crafting points. Last alpha, the market was flooded with items and people struggled to turn a profit. This alpha, items will be actually "worth" something and there will be way fewer of them. Because tax and silver costs have been drastically reduced, it's not like there will be this insane penny pinching/efficiency thing going on right away.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tempus Thales posted:

@Eonwe: Leading by denial #guildleader.

Eonwe posted:

I'm not the leader but I think we should....

Leading by preface denial.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Does everyone get a house plot, or is it like UO where they were limited by the size of the map?

Everyone can get a house on an island that only they and their friends can visit, houses in the wild or in cities are limited by the space within the buildable plots. However the zones are pretty huge and can be added too pretty much infinitely so its not like arch age in that there are x house plots forever get hosed guy who just joined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you guys

• Locked thread