Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They made bad games that sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In all seriousness Sunset was very uninspired from them. I hated everything they did but they always seemed like they were doing their own thing, even if it was something I couldn't stand. Sunset just seemed like a bad attempt at cashing in on several current indie/art-game trends, when the studio's MO was always seeming like they were doing things nobody else was doing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

I don't think art games necessarily have to be *entertaining,* but I do think they have to leverage the fact that they're interactive. Tale of Tales' stuff kind of didn't. You just wandered around until you stumbled upon the deep stuff. Compare to Stanley Parable - that game isn't really 'fun' - all of the puzzles are tricks and jokes, the only real interaction you have is the choices you make, but the entire game is about those choices. Stripped down to its mechanics it isn't enjoyable at all, but the writing carries those mechanics and is supported by them. The two interconnect and work together to make the point the game is trying to make.

Tale of Tales seemed to loathe video games as a medium, so of course they didn't take advantage of them in any meaningful way. And in that case, why even make games?

Yeah. I don't dislike story in video games (I used to be much more obnoxious about that), but I'm primarily interested in the way that your story (and music, and art, and any other "flavor" stuff) interacts with the mechanics. I'm not even necessarily talking about branching-paths narratives here- I'm talking about having stories where the themes are supported by the mechanics- something which requires an understanding of mechanics, and what effect the mechanics will have on the player. This is going to be a strained analogy, but so many game stories are like scoring a suspenseful action scene with, like, a beautiful aria* or something- it's not going to fit, and the fact that it doesn't fit has nothing to do with how good the music is on its own merits.

Like, I have a lot of objections on how many "smart" action game storylines (like, say, Max Payne 3, or Bioshock Infinite) work by themselves- but that's honestly besides the point- the real problem is when these stories don't structurally fit the framework they're attached to. If your game framework is a shooter which mechanically rewards the player for shooting people, well, jesus christ, don't give it a narrative where shooting people is bad, because that creates a structrural problem that the world's best script won't solve.

This is getting off-topic but I think this happens because, like you say, the developers don't like video games as a medium- or at least, they don't like the mechanical parts of video games, because that's the boring bits. And that's why you get games, both indie artgame, and AAA blockbuster, where the writing and mechanics are two spheres that don't intersect except in the most barely functional ways.

*yeah, that's probably been done well somewhere- but that's really besides the point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Black August posted:

Something about the mixture of proudly wielded pretentiousness and utterly unprofessional conduct just gets under my skin in that weird way that makes me want to spend precious time thinking up the most vicious criticisms and ill-wishes. Goddamn, it doesn't happen often nor is it really worth the waste of breath, but this brand of half-rate sore losers just annoys the living hell out of me, especially when I try to spend so much time laboring over my own works trying to make them something worthwhile. It's like creative littering.

bitterness is not an endearing quality

• Locked thread