Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

my profession is sea lover. im a lover of the sea. sometimes ill sit down and stare longingly at the sea for hours, and people will see my passion for the sea and be moved, and give me quarters, and dollar bills, and sandwiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Auriea is creating
Realtime art in old and new media, podcasts, periscopes

Growth
$1,500 per presentation
I will take a drawing workshop in Paris, France and I will take you with me. Let's see all the sights of Paris together.

Flowering
$3,000 per presentation
I will take a drawing trip to Florence, Italy and I will take you with me. Let's immerse ourselves in classical drawing and art history! C'mon, this is the dream! If we get to this point I'll explode.

Pledge $1.00 or more per resentation
41 patrons
I will make a podcast that will be available from my blog at least once a month. And I will blog at least twice a month. This will include travelogue, drawing diaries, reviews of art shows, theory, etc. Thank you, your contribution will support this creation.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

you want to hear a doomsday prophecy? well try this one on for size. video games..... are over.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One of the questions that has been bouncing around since I was a young child was whether or not video games count as art. During the times of Jack Thompson, it was argued that video games couldn’t be banned, because the first amendment protected free speech. People would then go on to say that video games were obviously protected under the first amendment, because art! By this point, we’ve won that fight. People consider video games art. And then studios like Tale of Tales shut down, and I wonder if we really do care about them as art.

I’m really not trying to blame anyone here. I’m not saying you’re wrong if you claim that AAA games are art, because many of them are. It takes a large amount of skill, talent, and creativity to make games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V. And clearly, unconventional Indie games can do just fine. Gone Home has been incredibly well received, as has The Novelist.

At the same time, do we really give enough attention to the non-conventional games made by companies like Tale of Tales? Gone Home got big as much because of it’s connection with the QUILTBAG community as anything else. That’s not a complaint, and I’m incredibly grateful to the Fullbright Company for making the game. But is it exploring what kind of emotions and thought processes can be stirred up by the media of video games, or is it simply telling a story that connects with a lot of people, yet doesn’t get told very often?

Then again, there’s always The Stanley Parable, which is absolutely playing with the media of video games and discovering what sorts of emotions and thoughts it can stir up. And by all accounts, it did just fine in sales. So why didn’t Tale of Tales’ adventures exploring social unrest (Sunset), growth (The Path) and nature (The Endless Forest)?

At the end of it all, I can’t say why none of the games from Tale of Tales caught on. I found them interesting, and I thought they were worth exploring and purchasing in order to support the creativity and exploration of the media. But I can’t say that “the gaming community” dislikes that idea, because games like Papers, Please and Among the Sleep do just fine in sales.

All I can say is that we’ve definitely lost something with the Tale of Tales moving away from game development, and we are poorer for it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In light of Tale of Tales closure, Michaël Samyn has started a Patreon called Unfettered Commentary on Video Games and the World. This will fund Samyn's commentary on what he finds problematic about the video games industry at large these days.

"In 2002 I chose to use videogames as my artistic medium. The more I got to know the technology, the industry, the creators and the audience, the less I liked what I saw. I used to be quite vocal about this until I noticed that people seemed to hate me so much that they didn't want to play our games. So I shut my mouth, closed my Twitter, closed my Facebook, and only spoke publicly in diplomatic calculated marketing terms.

Until now.

Nothing much has changed in videogames. And I don't see a bright future for this medium if some radical changes don't happen soon. I am ready to share my views on this and the broader economic, political and social context. I have no commercial interest in the game industry anymore. I have nothing to lose. I can safely bite the hand that was unable to feed me.

But I only care if you do.

A long list of topics I am eager to discuss has been piling up for years. I've had to bite my lip so many times that I'm not even sure if I can still speak. But with your help I will try. I will try to express my feelings in concise articles published monthly or fortnightly for all to see. Maybe this will inspire some to make the many changes necessary to improve the situation. If not I hope it will contribute, however modestly, to the utter annihilation of videogames as we know them.

That would be nice."

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i thought i was joking when i said his doomsday prophecy was "video games are over" but jfc

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im so underground i dont even use the common spellings to russian latinizations

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the worl*a man faced deer runs in and starts mooing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

let me tell you what culture is. those savages in the street, they arent culture. they dont breathe culture. a culture could revolution right next to them and what would they even know?? nothing. culture is russian filmmaking. culture is a long walk on the beach. culture is seeing the sights in paris, sipping on a cup of freshly made coffee. where is the culture in games? games has no culture. it has not spent the money on the art, and the artists, and the ccreatives. this is the fault of the george w bush administration.

• Locked thread