Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ahundredbux posted:

let's make stuff there's no market for then get mad when no one buys this poo poo they don't want

And pay a washing up game journalist 200K to advertise to a non-existing market.

This guys pose is wayyyyy to flowerly but makes a few good points on why the game failed so completely: http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/06/what-really-happened-to-tale-of-tales-sunset/

quote:

But look, you have two options when you make art you want to be commercially successful.

One is to carefully study your audience. This is not to stop you from telling the story you want to tell, this is to let you understand how to communicate that story to them.

Two is to do your own thing and see what happens.

If option number one is your thing, you need to make sure you really understand what you’re doing. Otherwise, you’re “How do you do, fellow kids?” Steve Buscemi meme. But even if you do everything right, remember that nobody knows anything in movies, and that art form is well over a hundred years old. And obviously things are even worse in games, and that’s why when a big studio strikes gold, they keep producing sequels basically forever.

But if two is your thing, you must be prepared that no one is obliged to give the slightest of fucks.

So with those two options in mind, what happens when the game does not resonate and is not exactly a technical and design masterpiece?

Usually, you sell nothing and the only people playing your game on Steam are your friends and family. But sometimes, only sometimes, you get lucky, and you miraculously sell four thousand copies in a month. Add two thousand drama bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Higsian posted:

People buying Sunset would have actually been negative value because everyone not buying it brought us some entertaining drama.

What about people who bought it and refunded it? Now I wish I could get Sunset's refund percentage from Steam.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordja posted:

i hate videogames so much now pay me to talk about videogames

Please, as if the plebes could understand my writing.

• Locked thread