Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kalensc posted:

I don't follow tennis much, why's everyone pleased with the Bouchard tailspin?
She's Anna Kournikova 2.0 but people made her out to be the next Maria Sharapova.

Also she eats baby food and wants to date Justin Bieber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah at first it was just an annoyance over her fanbase and the media giving her "It Girl" status when Halep is basically in her class and better. I want to be charitable and read all her "diva"-ish behavior as her being young and awkward but that handshake stuff was dumb

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Kyrgios 3 double faults in one game hands the set to Raonic 7 to 5. Choke and a half.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
3 df for Nick when serving down 5/6. :frogout:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

MacDougall posted:

Kyrgios 3 double faults in one game hands the set to Raonic 7 to 5. Choke and a half.

That final 2nd serve... what was he thinking?

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Raonic seems to just be Kyrgios kryptonite. He can't handle the metronome serve and short rallies. He can't build into the match. Raonic just coldly takes his weapons away and let's Kyrgios beat himself.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hope Kyrgios has a total meltdown.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
He will. He is a fruitloop. He will never be a champ until he grows the gently caress up. His spaz attacks would just be lending Raonic confidence. He has no idea about the mental game at all.

His answer to the Raonic problem is to put a headband on. Raonic meditating. Kyrgios be more like Milos.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
3 aces in a row though. Then he does a jumping jack in the middle of a rally, which he loses.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Calling Bouchard the next Kournikova is a real disservice to Kournikova. Bouchard has a bad attitude towards other players.

Anyway, Bouchard hasn't fallen from grace like people say, her slam record last year was the blip. Look at her results last year and her non slam results are as bad as they are overall now. It wasn't Kvitova smashing her in the final last year that killed her confidence either, I think it was probably Bouchard's last final that she lost which was also against Kvitova.

e: Kyrgios bounced his racquet right into the crowd!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 3, 2015

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Great game happening now. Milos saving all the BPs

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
What an idiot...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Loving the difference in personalities here.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Nick is starting to see the Raonic serve...

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
A twist! Kyrgios breaks. Serving for the set.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
How about that contrast to the end of 1st set. 3 aces finishes 2nd set.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Whoa... that game to take the set. What a way to close it out. Unreturnable and three aces. Kyrgios well ahead on ace count vs the best server in the game...

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

fancyclown posted:

How about that contrast to the end of 1st set. 3 aces finishes 2nd set.

I will admit. He is a showman. He is like a freaking pendulum.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Gasquet is playing like when he was younger. A real pleasure to watch him like this and even better when he boots out Dimitrov.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Meanwhile Kyrgios outserving Raonic easily taking the tie break with a second serve ace. Does anyone in tennis gobharder in second serve?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Meanwhile Kyrgios outserving Raonic easily taking the tie break with a second serve ace. Does anyone in tennis gobharder in second serve?
Did you see Dustin Brown yesterday? :getin:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Kyrgios and Gasquet through. Reeeeematch!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Kyrgios started playing better when he put on the headband and it was £6 from the giftshop!

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

MacDougall posted:

Jerzy Janowicz when he was good for like that three month span a while back

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nick Kyrgios and Madison Keys are playing mixed doubles and it's HILARIOUS. Court 11, tune in people!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I've always wondered how players pair up for doubles. I mean you have obvious long-running teams but then there are some pairs that seem totally random and out of nowhere

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've always wondered how players pair up for doubles. I mean you have obvious long-running teams but then there are some pairs that seem totally random and out of nowhere
I don't think anyone takes mixed doubles seriously so you do get a number of random pairings. I mean, there are only 48 teams entered so the 16 seeds get 1st round byes. AT A MAJOR.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Watson/Williams match getting more interesting by the minute, so I'm really hoping we get a third set out of this, even if Serena wins in the end, as she very very probably will. Much closer than I expected, at least in this set.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
So good. Let's go Heather!

What was it Murray said about this match, something about being the most challenging so far?

Hopefully no blowout in the third as usual when someone pushes Serena. Let's go!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Heather Watson has taken a set off Serena :britain:

Watson's won five more games than I thought she would.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Woah what is going on with Serena.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Let's go Watson! I never wanted to see a Williams 4th round meeting anyway. Bring on Heather vs Venus.

You got to believe :allears:

E: Serena so tight. Double break :aaa:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 3, 2015

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

C'mon.

:ohdear:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know what is happening but I like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Serena is melting down, Jesus

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Heather Watson up 2 breaks 3-0 against Serena in the 3rd.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
It was great that Heather got that double break. It's expected her serve will be shaky from now on. Doing well so far.

E: soo close to the hold. Keeping the DFs at a minimum, forcing Serena to make the plays.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 3, 2015

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

fancyclown posted:

It was great that Heather got that double break. It's expected her serve will be shaky from now on. Doing well so far.

To be fair, she seems to have been going mostly second serves since the end of set 2.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

smenj posted:

To be fair, she seems to have been going mostly second serves since the end of set 2.

As long as she stays away from excessive double faults, forcing Serena to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

ffs

• Locked thread