Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Okay, no problem. I'm just gonna go play some Counter-Strike.

Unwantedplatypus: remember that ranged attacks can't force the enemy to withdraw, and you need a +5 modifier or better to even have a chance at forcing a step reduction. Besides, I'll let you know when you'll have the chance to declare them (in the Combat Phase). I've added all the modifiers relevant to both combats and ranged attacks to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tevery Best posted:

Okay, no problem. I'm just gonna go play some Counter-Strike.

Unwantedplatypus: remember that ranged attacks can't force the enemy to withdraw, and you need a +5 modifier or better to even have a chance at forcing a step reduction. Besides, I'll let you know when you'll have the chance to declare them (in the Combat Phase). I've added all the modifiers relevant to both combats and ranged attacks to the OP.

Obliged. Platypus, please change your orders!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I'm not sure what's the point of those movements unwantedplatypus. You won't be able to Ranged Attack them out, the MGs won't be able to fire either if you are placing them where I think you are placing them. The bridge is covered already as well.

I reiterate my orders: attack both islands, kotisaari with four companies so odds are in our favour and place MGs to support the attack on hernisaari.

:downs: oh yeah, theres a chain of command and stuff.

New Orders:

Both MGs move to the forested road on Q23, ie where 1st battalion MG is currently stationed

1st battalion 1st, 2nd, and 3rd companies as well as 2nd battalion 4th company should move in preparation for an attack on kotisaari.

2nd Battalion 4th Company should move to the frozen lake on L25.
1st Battalion 3rd Company should move to the Suo on P25.
1st Battalion 1st Company should move to the frozen lake on M24 (northwest of 3rd company and northeast of 4th company)
1st Battalion 2nd Company should move to the frozen lake on N24

2nd Battalion 5th Company will move to the forest on R23.
2nd Battalion 6th Company will move to the frozen lake on S21

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You're neither attacking those islands nor preventing the bridge from digging in with those moves, just saying.

The Finns have enough movement/troops to occupy every hex of Kotinari next turn, so either you attack now or we forget about the island altogether. You're not getting a better shot than this turn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You can move all 4 companies into contact this very turn, why wait? :psyduck:

EDIT: Also, Fat SAMURAI, there's my own company blocking the digging in, so we are fine for the bridge.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 1, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Also, Fat Turkey, there's my own company blocking the digging in, so we are fine for the bridge.

But he is not, so I was technically right. Technically :colbert: Who's attacking Hernessari, BTW?

Also, Fat Turkey :allears:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jesus christ I am so bad at this, it's like I have a block on my brain.

We do have an attack on Hernessari, the unit on S21.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

No worries, not worse than the times I've screwed up the Pax game. :)

Tekopo posted:

We do have an attack on Hernessari, the unit on S21.

Good, thanks. I kinda need Vassal to visualize where everyone is.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All right, I'm back from Counter-Striking (gently caress Dust II) and am about to start vassaling up the update, so please no more changes after this post.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
UnwantedPlatypus, your unwillingness to come to grips with the foe has been noted!

:commissar:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Welp.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

UnwantedPlatypus, your unwillingness to come to grips with the foe has been noted!

:commissar:
To Comrade General sniper4625,

Please replace Comrade Major Unwantedplatypus, he does not show the correct level of revolutionary fervour.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
My units don't have the movement range to get to kotisaari this turn. I set them up so that I will be able to get a foothold on the island next turn. The closer I station my troops on the island, the greater the risk there is of them being caught up on the lake. I made sure all of my troops will be able to get to that island next movement phase. Sure I could attack the infantry unit there and maybe get one of my units on the island, but then what? 3 of the 4 infantry companies will be totally exposed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They have enough movement. You aren't assaulting, you just need to move next to the enemy piece. If we win the combat, you can potentially move 3 of the 4 companies on the island thanks to advance after combat. They have troops on the way that can potentially mean they can stop us from getting a toehold no matter where we try. You needed to attack, this situation is the worst of both worlds: we have troops on the ice and will still need to combat attack the enemies next turn anyway, when they have even more troops to beat us back.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Even having 3/4 units stuck on the ice and a tiny foothold on the Island would have been preferable to 4/4 left milling about and no foothold on the island, granting the Finns vital time to prepare to resist our assault. Colonel Tekopo has far more experience in the art of war (and this game, I believ), so do trust that he is not giving you impossible orders.

To avoid future mistakes like this, would it be helpful to set up a GoogleDoc/Roll20 room? I don't wish to drive all discussion out of the thread, but having a place where we could push little virtual counters around a map could be helpful.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 2, 2015

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Well poo poo.

I was waiting to give orders until we have decided on a plan and I guess I missed it until recently, sorry.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's the thing: if we failed we could have always retreated back. If we won and forced the enemy two hexes away, all our troops would have been safe. If we only forced them one hex back, 3 units would have been safe. There would have never been a situation where only 1 unit could advance after combat.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Think of it this way: you're providing a realistic Winter War experience for the observers! :v:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

sniper4625 posted:

Even having 3/4 units stuck on the ice and a tiny foothold on the Island would have been preferable to 4/4 left milling about and no foothold on the island, granting the Finns vital time to prepare to resist our assault. Colonel Tekopo has far more experience in the art of war (and this game, I believ), so do trust that he is not giving you impossible orders.

To avoid future mistakes like this, would it be helpful to set up a GoogleDoc/Roll20 room? I don't wish to drive all discussion out of the thread, but having a place where we could push little virtual counters around a map could be helpful.

Feel free to, if you think it's necessary. Just keep it open for the spectators (and me).

A flurry of activity begins on your side of the river. However, due to a miscommunication, your troops do not receive an order to advance to the island, but instead to position themselves on the lake and regroup! This delay might be costly, even if you're out of the range of enemy weapons for now. Meanwhile, 9th Company moves towards the bridge. They can't cross it, but their fire and presence is enough to keep the Finns occupied, unable to dig in or provide fire support to their comrades. The 609th field artillery positions itself near the entrance to the narrows, giving it a very large field of fire.

I made a minor adjustment here - Unwantedplatypus wanted to go to "the Suo on P25", but P25 is a forest hex, and in the other direction. I take it this is where the 1st Company was supposed to end up.

Meanwhile, the rest of the 2nd Battalion and the first two battalions' MGs position themselves to strike against the small islet of Hernesaari. Two companies of 3rd Battalion push east along the road, encountering no opposition.

Another minor adjustment: as you can see, the reinforcements' MGs are here as well. When correcting Zikan, I forgot they could use Extended Movement to gain +2MP as long as they're moving on the road and remain 4 or more hexes away from the enemy, and given that it made little to no sense to leave them behind, I've let them use it anyway.

The 3rd Battalion's scouts bring news of more enemy forces further north of the bridge, but there seems to be nothing standing between you and the main road from here.

All right, Combat Phase!

Wherever you have troops adjacent to an enemy unit, you may now declare a Combat against the enemy hex.

The sequence shall proceed as follows:

- Sniper4625 will declare which hexes you wish to attack (with combats and non-supporting Ranged Attacks) and in what sequence,
- If a unit is adjacent to more than one attacked hex, its Battalion Commander decides which of the hexes it will be attacking (if any), or, if you don't want a unit to participate in the attack, they will also be expected to announce it,
- Sniper4625 and the Regimental Commanders will assign their indirect-firing units (mortars, infantry guns, artillery) to any specific attacks (as Support or non-Support), and whether or not they should be fired before or after a Combat they're supporting (sometimes you can pick off a retreating unit this way, but rarely),
- Battalion Commanders decide which of their direct-firinig units (infantry, MGs, others) fire at which target hex (if a given unit can only hit one target hex, I'll consider it to be firing by default, and I will also consider all direct-firing units without assigned targets to be firing at any hex they have a chance to cause a step reduction to - I won't show those rolls in the combat log, though).

- The Finns allocate their Defensive Support. They will be informed how many fire missions you've allocated as Combat Support (split into direct and indirect), but not what units will be firing.

- I roll all the dice,

- Battalion Commanders decide how they want to advance, retreat or take step losses as a result of the combats.

Now, you shouldn't be able to see the results of all combats before deciding how to allocate your losses, but until both sides get familiar with how retreats work, I'll keep it this way (it shouldn't last for more than a day).

:siren:You have 48 hours.:siren:

Remember that any indirect-firing unit (infantry guns, mortars, artillery) gets flipped to its "Fired" side after shooting, and it won't flip back until your next Reset Phase - i.e. it won't be able to provide defensive support during the Finnish turn. You also have a limited supply of 76mm munitions - right now you have enough for 10 fire missions.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 2, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I suggest we just place as much firepower as possible on Hernisaari. As that, gonna pre-empt and gonna make fire both my mortar and my infantry gun at it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Think of it this way: you're providing a realistic Winter War experience for the observers! :v:

I wish I could see the reaction to this movement on the other thread. It has to be quite a surprise. :)

Maybe they'll think we're going for a western advance through the woods and around the lake? Or an encirclement on the bridge? Hopefully?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Actually it's not that bad. We can still attack next turn with good odds on both the southern and western tip of the island. We have lost some momentum, though.

Tevery Best, is there any limit to the number of shifts we can get from support? Because those Finns are going to get shot a lot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Three shifts is the maximum IIRC. I think we should leave at least one artillery not firing.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'll be at work for the next 6 hours, will get orders in when I get home.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

Actually it's not that bad. We can still attack next turn with good odds on both the southern and western tip of the island. We have lost some momentum, though.

Tevery Best, is there any limit to the number of shifts we can get from support? Because those Finns are going to get shot a lot.

Not more than three shifts in either direction.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Tevery, can you post an explanation as to how the letter number hex pairs work? It seems a bit odd and its getting in the way of my orders.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The columns are obvious. For the rows, imagine that you are drawing an imaginary line from where the arrow is on the left/right, any hex that is on that line is that particular number.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm an artist! :)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

This, essentially.

Unfortunately I don't think I can provide a better explanation, other than "columns are letters, rising to the right, rows are numbers, rising down". I recommend using the hexes marked for setup purposes (e.g. Q25, R27) as reference points.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Does This Link work for the Roll20?

Spectators welcome, just post in here with the name you're joining as (if that's kosher with you Tevery.)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Map is up, currently working on adding tokens (all of our tokens are added to the library [may be a personal library], still need to make enemy ones.)

In addition to the island position at R21, did my commanders intend on launching any other attacks? I want to be crystal clear.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm not intending to make any attacks apart from Hernisaari.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh, also, we can use my troops on t20 to support as well I guess.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm only attacking hernesaari

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, thanks for this!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Very well.

Orders

The Division will attack Hex R21, the island of Hernesaari!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Okay then! Given that there is just one target, don't bother with direct-firing units - there's no reason for them to not fire, so they will fire if there is a chance of a Suppressed marker or better. But I will need sniper4625 and Tekopo to tell me what they intend to do with the mortars, infantry guns and artillery, since these will be unable to fire again on the Finnish turn if used now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fire both mortar and infantry gun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How many turns until we get more ammo for the big guns? I doubt the Finns are going to attack back, but saving ammo for bigger concentrations of troops may be a good idea depending on our supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The new rounds are due tomorrow morning.

• Locked thread