Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Recruitment is currently closed.

McP, Sockerbagarn, Flame112, post your character sheets.

You are level 2. You have the surname Ostraberg.

Last time you were home, this portrait hung above the fireplace in the main hall.

You receive a letter, the envelope scrawled with your father's unmistakable cursive.

“My dear child,

I have led an exceptionally long life and it is not through luck alone. The men and women in the villages know me as their land owner, as a businessman, and as an adventurer, yet they whisper rumours of how I have remained strong of mind and body for so long. I am writing to tell you that my time upon this earth is strictly limited. After many many years, far more than are natural, I believe that I shall soon be dead.

In my early life I saw, and did, terrible things. Our family was one of modest pride and fortune when I was born, yet I was not content. I strived to gain power, something which came at a price. I forged a legacy, yet had no family to leave it to, and that is why I adopted you and your siblings. To date, it was the one good thing I did upon this earth. Once you had all grown and left to pursue your own dreams, something I encouraged and supported in full faith, I found myself contemplating my own mortality and returned to my old ways.

I do not know how much you remember of our little lands. Ostraberg is vast and varied. It is situated south of Anvil and I am told it covers roughly 300 square miles. There are several villages and towns, two woodlands, three lakes and a network of roads and rivers within its borders.

Our family house and family name alike are sullied by my actions. Please, I beg of you, return to Ostraberg House and settle my affairs. I leave everything, my mistakes included, to any of you who come home. Once our family name is in order the house and everything in it are to be divided equally among you to be lived in, sold, or destroyed as you see fit.

Thank you for taking my family name. Thank you for being the one selfless and good decision I made upon this earth. I believe I was a good man in those years I was raising you. I hope that when you learn the sort of man I really was, you are surprised.

A wagon will leave from the town of Brendal at noon on Red Chainday. It will transport you safely through the woods and up the hill to Ostraberg House. Those of you who wish to help should endeavour to be there. If for some reason you are unable to make it on time, but still wish to help, you may see yourself up to the house. Those of you who wish nothing further to do with me, I forgive you.

Yours, with love,
Your father,

Lord Alexander der Ostraberg”

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Alonsius Ostraberg

and his Shadow

From the journal of Alonsius Ostraberg,

drat that ancient reprobate. And drat his secrets as well.

My adopted brothers, sisters, and I had always suspected he knew more than he let on. It's not as if he could keep everything from us. We knew of the strange men he met late at night, the mysterious, faded packages and missives from far off lands. And I, I knew about his secret library, hidden in the wine cellar of the manor house. The day I found it changed my life.

My own studies of magic had already begun to bear fruit, but this forbidden knowledge fascinated me. I took in as much as I could, in those moments that I could reach it without anyone else knowing. Tales of a dark land, on the other side of every shadow, and the creatures that inhabited it, capricious and malicious. Their languages, their powers, and their abiding, all-consuming hatred of the things that live in the world of light.

It could not last. I was discovered and exiled from the manor, though to hear tell my siblings would leave soon after. But I did not leave with nothing. I spirited one of the tomes away, a guide to summoning these dark creatures. I can only imagine what went through my father's mind when he realized it was gone.

But I did not care. When I had the means and the materials, I performed the ritual at the first opportunity. I was too enthralled, too giddy from my own new found freedoms to consider the consequences. I succeeded, but when I found myself faced with the twisting, bright eyed creature of shadow, the import of my actions became clear to me. I had brought a creature from across the veil, but was I prepared to face it, to bargain with it?

It would turn out I had not prepared myself adequately. The beast lurched forward, and impossibly grabbed at my shadow, flickering in the candlelight. I barely comprehended what was happening, but I began to realize it was somehow pulling me back into its own realm. I struggled, I threw what few spells I knew at it, I scratched at the ritual circles, but as I gazed in its cold eyes I thought I was without hope. I remember it putting a clawed, black hand on me, and then I passed out.

I awoke on the floor of the cabin I had conducted the ritual in. I would discover I had lost a week after the incident. But at that time, I could only see the evening sun streaming in through the windows, and the shadow it cast behind me. A shadow that stared at me with cold glowing eyes.

Ever since, I have journeyed. The shadow whispers to me, teaches me how I may manipulate the world around me, almost imperceptibly. Sometimes it rears up in terrible anger, other times it retreats, nothing more than a shadow, and I may almost become a normal person. But always, it seems filled with malice, and I do not wonder if it will destroy me. I know it will, there is no question.
But perhaps it may be thwarted. Alexander Ostraberg has fled his home, leaving his home to be shared among my brothers and sisters. Perhaps that ancient building will have the answers I seek. My father admitted he had dabbled in great secrets. Perhaps I could succeed where he, evidently, failed.

Or perhaps I will be forced to flee, like him, after living too long a life in service of dark powers. My doom is nothing if not patient.

Backgrounds
+5 Secrets of the Dark void: The shadows can manipulate minds, chance, and even the world around if given the chance. It sees into the dark parts of the heart, and lays waiting where light does not reach. I can tap into these powers, take action where others could not dare tread, but is it I that controls it, or my shadow?
+3 Avid Historian: My research has brought me much information about the past, and even where it does not apply to my condition, I find it fascinating nonetheless. Perhaps I am stuck in the legends of the past. Perhaps I hope find atonement, or justification, for my hubris.

Icon Relationships:
NONE (Icon Channeler)
Sometimes my shadow tells me secrets of the great and powerful, the true movers of the world. On those rare occasions it speaks, it reveals much to me. But those revelations are not without cost.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Human Occultist

OUT: I traded shadows with a terrible being.
	It whispers unknowable secrets to me.
	There will be a reckoning, unless I can find
	a way to escape it.

STR  10		(+0)		Hit Points: (36/36)
CON  14		(+2)		Recoveries: 9
DEX  8		(-1)		Recovery value: 2d6+2
INT  18		(+4)		Armour Class: 15
WIS  16		(+3)		PD: 12	MD: 16
CHA  12		(+1)		Initiative: +1(x2)

Racial: Quick to Fight, Roll initiative twice

Class Features:
	Delayed Magical Healing: Healing spells take effect
		one round later than normal
	Focus and Rebuke
	Flexible Recharge

Talents
	Icon Channeler: 3 less regular icon dice. Instead,
		every time others roll icon dice, I can
		apply a 5 to any icon I choose.
	Hewer of Truth: Use INT for melee attacks, and WIS
		for melee damage. Spells that hit enemies
		engaged deal ongoing damage equal to my
		melee miss damage.
	Otherworldly Shadow: 1/day as an interrupt, negate
		all damage for a turn. This works for all 
		damage from one mook mob, or all attacks
		from one non-mook enemy.
	Unwinding the Soul: Cast a spell and roll 11+,
		target is vulnerable to my attacks for the
		rest of the battle. Can only unwind one
		enemy at a time.

Feats
	Delayed Healing Feat: Base hit points are 7
	Otherwordly Shadow: +1 recoveries
	Timely Mistake: If the triggering attack was against
		an ally, that ally gains a bonus to all
		defenses against the re-rolled attack equal
		to my WIS modifier.

Basic Attacks
	Melee: +6 vs AC		Ranged: +1 vs AC
	Hit: 2d8+3 damage	Hit: 2d4-1 damage
	Miss: 2 damage		Miss: --

Spells 5 level 1 spells

Equipment
	Suit and vest ensemble (No armor)
	Walking Cane Blade (1d8 martial weapon)
	Personal Journal
	Disturbing looking tome
	25 gold pieces

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 24, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Astraea Ostraberg

Aasimar Rogue

It was a warm summer night and the stars shone brightly in the cloudless sky, most of the villagers around Ostraberg were awake to watch a rare, beautiful and slightly frightening natural phenomenon. Among the stars were bright streaks of light travelling across the night sky, the elders reassured them that it was a meteor shower and nothing to be feared.

As the time passed midnight a large meteoroid passed through the atmosphere, shining so blindingly bright that it could have been mistaken for the Sun had it not been moving so fast. In its wake it left a great long scar in the sky. Had the villagers been able to avert their eyes from it they would have found frightened expressions on the faces of their elders, this was not something that anyone had seen before.

For about a dozen seconds it hurtled towards the ground before it made impact somewhere behind the treetops. For half a minute the people stared at each other with wide eyes, then the ear shattering rumbling noise reached them. Panic erupted and a moment later a loud explosion echoed across the land, then silence.

Lord Ostraberg had also been observing, perhaps he had expected something to happen but if so he had never told Astraea. It was at the point of the impact - what is now known as Starfall lake - where he found her. A newborn child crying but unscathed in the middle of the smoldering crater.

As she grew up she loved to run around, hide, sneak, climb, balance precariously on branches or rooftops and help herself to sweets from the larder. When she grew older, not much changed.

She has possessed a strong sense of justice for as far as she can remember but led a sheltered life in her father's lands. Unsurprisingly, when she left to see the world she was appalled by what she found. Poverty and misery, crime and prejudice. Beggars lined the streets of the cities while fat merchants and nobles strolled on by without throwing as much as a single glance at them. So called holy men and others in power taking advantage of their position to commit horrors. Murders and killings. The world had to change.

So she begun a career of theft, redistributing the wealth from those that had never had to worry about their survival to those that fought for it every day. She worked her way up from pick-pocketing to burglary, getting caught a few times in the process but always managing to slip away one way or the other.

It did not take long before she got in trouble with the thieves' guild and she found no other way to continue besides joining them. It was not all bad, they taught her well in the more subtle arts but their insistence that she had to learn how to defend herself with weapons made her feel uneasy. However, those skills would come to prove themselves important a couple of days after she received her father's letter, but sadly not to fend for herself, but to take a life. A horrible monster of a life, but still a living and breathing human being.

Frightened, shaken and with blood on her hands she got on the first boat to Glitterhaegen, the first step to get back home.

Backgrounds
+5 Astral Cat Burglar: Light on her feet, excellent balance, no fear of heights, dexterous fingers, good night vision and mysterious powers allow Astraea to get where she wants to be but others do not.
+4 Charitable Celestial: Has an easy time getting in the good graces of most people. Sometimes the easiest way to pick the lock is to just ask for the key!
+4 Ostraberg Explorer: She spent a lot of time exploring the nature of Ostraberg when she was growing up. Likes the outdoors in general, especially when the stars are out.

Icon Relationships
Prince of Shadows, Conflicted 2: Having stolen her way through several cities, Astraea has made quite a few connections in the underworld. She prefers to associate with those who are down on their luck but blessed with golden hearts and does her best to counteract those that tread on the weak.
Priestess, Positive 1: Astraea found that the most efficient way to spread the riches to where it was needed was to fund various temples that truly cared for the downtrodden. She has made quite a few generous donations so that the temples can provide food, clothes and shelter to those in need.

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg
Level 2 Aasimar Rogue

One Unique Thing: Fell from the stars

STR  8		(-1)		Hit Points: 32
CON  14		(+2)		Recoveries: 8
DEX  18		(+4)		Recovery value: 2d8 + 2
INT  10		(+0)		Armour Class: 16 (Base 12, +2 CON, +2 Level)
WIS  12		(+1)		PD: 16 (Base 12, +2 CON, +2 Level)	
CHA  16		(+3)		MD: 13 (Base 10, +1 WIS, +2 Level)
				Initiative: +6 (+4 DEX, +2 Level)

Race Feature: Halo
	Once per battle as free action, gain +2 bonus to all defenses until you are 
	hit by an attack (or until the battle ends).

Class Features
	Momentum
		You gain momentum when hitting an enemy with an attack.
		You lose momentum when hit by an attack.
		Momentum is used for certain abilities.
	Sneak Attack
		Once per round you can deal extra damage with a melee attack against an enemy
		that is engaged by at least one ally.
		2nd level: +1d6 damage.
	Trap Sense
		If you fail a trap related skill check with a natural even roll, you can
		reroll the skill check once. If a trap's attack roll against you is 
		a natural odd roll, you can force the trap to reroll the attack once.

Talents
	Shadow Walk
		With a move action before standard action has been taken, you can make a charisma attack
		against	the enemy with the highest MD nearby. If successful you remove yourself from play and
		reappear next turn to anywhere that you could have moved to normally during your turn. Deal
		double damage with your first rogue attack that turn.
	Swashbuckle
		Once per battle as a quick action, spend your momentum to pull off a daring stunt.
	Thievery
		Gain the Thief background at +5

Feats
	Shadow Walk
		Adventurer: On a miss, you can still use your move action normally.
	Thievery
		Adventurer: Gain Thief's Strike as a bonus power.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Whoops. Forgot to post. Game Thread

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Growing up in the house, Sebastian always seemed to be the sibling with the brightest future. From a young age, it was clear that the boy had magical talent, although Alexander curiously showed little personal interest in the boy. He spared no expense on the best tutors for Sebastian, sure. But whenever Sebastian went to Alexander, proud of mastering a new cantrip or invocation, he was met with little more than a gruff grunt. Sebastian became more and more determined to please Alexander, to prove his work. He devoted himself to his studies completely, spending little time with his siblings. When Sebastian left Ostraberg House, it was with a full ride to the most prestigious arcane university in Horizon, The Horizon University of Arcane Research famous for being the alma mater of the Archmage himself.

Sebastian thought that, now that he was studying at H.U., he would be able to prove his worth to Alexander. He sent letters home to father, but received no reply. Sebastian began to crack under pressure that Sebastian had been feeling for years. One month after Sebastian left, another letter arrived as Ostraberg house, this time from Dean Abraxus himself. The letter detailed an incident involving Sebastian's theft (and subsequent consumption) of numerous illicit plant species from the conservatory. As a result, he was to be expelled from the university. Sebastian had, apparently, managed to derail his bright future quite gloriously.

Sebastian was too ashamed to return home. He thought, maybe, if he could join another arcane university, he could still salvage things. And so he found himself at the gates of the somewhat less prestigious Horizon Thaumaturgical Institute, famous for being something of a degree mill. And, about two weeks later, Sebastian was expelled again after an incident involving the channeling and release of energies of one of Horizon's ley lines to produce an incredible fireworks show.

From there, Sebastian continued along in this pattern. He had an uncanny ability to both locate new colleges and display just enough magical talent to get him through the application process. He would join a new magical institution with high hopes, party too hard, and get expelled in a blaze of glory. After a couple of years, though, Sebastian began running out of legitimate arcane institutions to attend. That didn't slow him down, however, as he began joining the really weird ones. Druidic circles, dwarven runesmithing lessons, Diabolist cults, Lich King necromancy training...the list goes on. And with every new school came a new catastrophic gently caress-up that left Sebastian searching for his next source of education.

When Sebastian received the letter from Alexander, he reluctantly decided it was time to head on home. He had just stumbled across a cave of kobold dragon sorcerers and decided to stay on and learn their ways. Unfortunately, it seemed it was a bit of a faux pas to take some of the dragon's hoard into town to sell for beer money, and a lightly singed Sebastian sighed and started his long journey back to Ostraberg.

Backgrounds:
Life of the Party: You don't party your way through hundreds of schools without becoming quite good at talking to people and making yourself the center of attention, whether or not that ends up being a good thing.

Think I Took A Class On That?: Sebastian has spent more time in the first couple weeks of classes than anyone else in the world, giving him approximate knowledge of many things.

Hold My Beer And Watch This: Sebastian is adept at performing remarkable feats of agility and strength, but only when it's a really bad idea that will almost certainly result in terrible injuries.

Icon Dice:
All of Sebastian's icon dice reflect his relationships with people he came into contact with during his "education". Students are likely to remember him fondly as that crazy guy who did that really cool thing. Instructors and administrators are likely to have a much more harsh view of him.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 26, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Forgot to mention this in IRC but I'm going to be phone posting for the weekend.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

No problem.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Oh you should roll icon dice in your next posts because we haven't done that if I remember correctly.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
If someone wants to roll dice at the engineer for me, go for it. Flexible attack priority is healing myself > giving me or Astraea AC > a disengage to anyone who wants it.

Otherwise, I'll be home in a few hours.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

quote:

<McP> I'm wondering if that brief skim was appropriate or if I should make another roll

What you've rolled is fine. If there was something specific you wanted to learn from the book, you could roll again, but otherwise you're good.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Sorry I've been out of town for like 4 days. I can post later tonight; planning on life of the partying at these guys to get info and ingratiate myself.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I'm gone for a couple of days and forgot my orokos password so I can't roll any dice for a while. If someone wants to do it for me, go for it.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
http://orokos.com/roll/315218 There you go if you want to make a post yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Hey Flame, you okay buddy?

• Locked thread