Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The British Empire was an evil monarchy trying to take over the world and killing lots of people when it was in control of Hawaii, the British flag on the Hawaiian flag is a remnant of the time they were in control.

Just like how the Confederate battle flag is a remnant of the confederacy on the Mississippi flag.

I say we remove this evil piece of history from the Hawaiian flag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Wonder if they'd be happy with 3/5 of the flag?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Prorat posted:

The British Empire was an evil monarchy trying to take over the world and killing lots of people when it was in control of Hawaii, the British flag on the Hawaiian flag is a remnant of the time they were in control.

Just like how the Confederate battle flag is a remnant of the confederacy on the Mississippi flag.

I say we remove this evil piece of history from the Hawaiian flag!

this is a retarded strawman to build because it's also correct

it's time to overhaul state flags across the board, imo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
a lot of states just slap their seal onto a blue field and call it good and it's time to overhaul that zero-effort poo poo

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

a lot of states just slap their seal onto a blue field and call it good and it's time to overhaul that zero-effort poo poo

:colbert:

Best flag in the fuckin' Union. Don't be such a tyrannis bub.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Prorat posted:

We should be focusing on removing the British flag from the Hawaiian Flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Hawaii

Had I known about this sooner it would've been my goal in life but i'm already home and stuff

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Thump! posted:

nah south carolina has one of the best flags in the states

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

states dont need flags imo

This Charming Goat
Sep 5, 2012
That's not even the confederate flag though its the 'rebel' flag they put up to protest segregation? It is quite literally a symbol of racism. Maybe the new southern pride thing can be memes of Michelle Obama as ape or those little plastic wallets that say 'these colours don't run' for your EBT card.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

This Charming Goat posted:

That's not even the confederate flag though its the 'rebel' flag they put up to protest segregation? It is quite literally a symbol of racism. Maybe the new southern pride thing can be memes of Michelle Obama as ape or those little plastic wallets that say 'these colours don't run' for your EBT card.

imo the new symbol of the south should be a flag reading FW:FW:FW:FW:FW: NEWSMAX: BREAKING NEW BENGHAZI SECRETS

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

spacetoaster posted:

I went to public school so I know that slavery and racism only happened in the confederacy for the four years it existed.

The swastika was only used by nazis for 12 years what's with people being offended by it?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Confedora of the United Goons

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Prorat posted:

We can burn the American flag because "its just a flag" and its free speech and its "just a piece of fabric"

But those same people are saying the opposite about the Confederate flag.

Dumbass liberal logic.

You've convinced me.
Burn both of them.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Parallax Scroll posted:

states dont need flags imo

maybe whatever scrub-tier shithole you call home

scrub

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Why does the south like that flag so much? Isn't it just a bitter reminder of the time when they got brutally rear end hosed by the glorious heroes of the north?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TOM HANKS posted:

Why does the south like that flag so much? Isn't it just a bitter reminder of the time when they got brutally rear end hosed by the glorious heroes of the north?

It's because they're racists. HTH.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Thump! posted:

Virginia state flag IS pretty badass. PLUS, it's the only state flag with nudity on it! In Virginia you can get that NAKED BARE EXPOSED BREAST on your CAR LICENSE PLATE, it's madness

In my opinion, the Confederate battle flag should be treated more or less like a nazi flag. Like, not used in state flags and/or on government stuff, for one. Sure, individual citizens can have one, I guess, but people will assume you're an rear end in a top hat if you do. Only appropriate contexts for the confederate flag are historical/educational, or on the roof of a Dodge Charger

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Am the only generally left-leaning person who was confused and surprised to find out that people associate that flag primarily with racism?

Growing up in the south, the flag was everywhere. I never really saw it as being a symbol of racism. I've always associated it with uneducated, low-class, rural white people. Racism is definitely one of the things I think of when I think of uneducated, low-class, rural white people, but not when I think of that flag.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

HJE-Cobra posted:

Virginia state flag IS pretty badass. PLUS, it's the only state flag with nudity on it! In Virginia you can get that NAKED BARE EXPOSED BREAST on your CAR LICENSE PLATE, it's madness

In my opinion, the Confederate battle flag should be treated more or less like a nazi flag. Like, not used in state flags and/or on government stuff, for one. Sure, individual citizens can have one, I guess, but people will assume you're an rear end in a top hat if you do. Only appropriate contexts for the confederate flag are historical/educational, or on the roof of a Dodge Charger

What about in bikini format if worn by a pretty girl?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

Only appropriate contexts for the confederate flag are historical/educational, or on the roof of a Dodge Charger

That's definitely the only place where it's acceptable. Hell, I'm not sure why Dodge doesn't make them come out of the factory like that.

BigBoss posted:

What about in bikini format if worn by a pretty girl?

X marks the spot :pervert:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

EB Nulshit posted:

Am the only generally left-leaning person who was confused and surprised to find out that people associate that flag primarily with racism?

Growing up in the south, the flag was everywhere. I never really saw it as being a symbol of racism. I've always associated it with uneducated, low-class, rural white people. Racism is definitely one of the things I think of when I think of uneducated, low-class, rural white people, but not when I think of that flag.

As a black guy, I associate racism with uneducated low-class rural white people.

Well, I also associate it with educated high class urban white people, but that's just because white people are loving awful.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

As a black guy, I associate racism with uneducated low-class rural white people.

Well, I also associate it with educated high class urban white people, but that's just because white people are loving awful.

I smiled at a Black person on my way to work today.
#notallwhites

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Zelder posted:

how many robberies have you done today?

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Zelder posted:

Good point.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Applewhite posted:

#notallwhites

You'll be spared in the coming race war.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
Oh god its a flag that may have represented oppression we have to ban it and when we do we can go for the books and gently caress YOU LOOKING AT ME WHITEY

This Charming Goat
Sep 5, 2012

Applewhite posted:

#notallwhites

Was it an apologetic smile after you crossed the street to avoid them?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

This Charming Goat posted:

Was it an apologetic smile after you crossed the street to avoid them?

Hey! I crossed the street out of respect because for too long, Black people weren't allowed to share the sidewalk with Whites. I made a conscious decision to give him all the space he needed.
Plus he was wearing a bandana and I didn't want to get mixed up in any gang violence.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The best state flag is easily Maryland's.

It brought us the most hilarious (best) football uniforms:

Keep in mind that's one uniform:

Edit: also gently caress the confederate flag - removing it from public ground is in no way an infringement on free speech

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

The best state flag is easily Maryland's.

It brought us the most hilarious (best) football uniforms:

Keep in mind that's one uniform:

Edit: also gently caress the confederate flag - removing it from public ground is in no way an infringement on free speech

Lol what are you guys a bunch a frenchies lol move to quebec with that schizophrenic poo poo lmbo

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm not from Maryland I'm just an avid Maryland flag enthusiast/shipper

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I'm not from Maryland I'm just an avid Maryland flag enthusiast/shipper

Oh.

Realtalk though, it is a pretty cool flag.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

the blacks

Korthal
May 26, 2011

:siren: ALABAMA'S DITCHED THEIR FLAG :siren:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

from SA's supermax kitten prison, a single tear rolls down jastiger's face: he may have been unjustly imprisoned by corrupt mods, but he is winning

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

from SA's supermax kitten prison, a single tear rolls down jastiger's face: he may have been unjustly imprisoned by corrupt mods, but he is winning

Nah he was justly probated

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Nah he was justly probated

And John Brown was justly shot.

Doesn't make em any less right.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Thump! posted:

Agreed. To translate, that Latin says 'Thus always to Tyrants.' Good poo poo.

A bunch of the people who think Obama is a muslim have posted that ~*well the american flag was flown on slave ships and the bible was the symbol for crusades so I bet you think THOSE should be banned too hrm?*~ Also that this is the end of Southern Culture.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Currently barricaded into my shack w/ guns at the ready. I expect to see UN storm troopers stomping on to my property to take my CBF any minute now.
They're in for a big surprise when they discover my entire property has been converted into a mine field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Lol the dog and pony show continues while the underlying problems continue to be ignored.

• Locked thread