Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

ChlorophileAddict posted:

the original anti capitalists :)

the MO of capitalism is literally "stealing from people who arent in with us"

so not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

the MO of capitalism is literally "stealing from people who arent in with us"

so not really

oh sworry, you are indeed correct

ChlorophileAddict fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 23, 2015

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

I'm not Gipsy. But having lived around them, they're cool people.
and "out of sight out of mind" never really worked.

the cognitive dissonance here is hurting my head. its a bad thing to generalize gypsies as all being dirty thieves and its just as bad to say they are all good and cool people when you were just talking about how they'll steal from you if you arent romanian/speak the language

it sounds very much like the romanians you were specifically talking about were not cool people and probably hurt some very poor people by stealing the last of their money, if they regularly make a habit of stealing from people on public transit

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

I thought the Gypsy Hollywood of Romania was Glod.

Every time we drive through there my father in law gets outraged that they can afford to paint their houses and speculates that they're stealing stones from the river. I don't know or care what that's about.

Yeah every European has some weird racism blind spot for Gypsies. Everyone in England knows someone who's brother's mate had his telly nicked by the Gypsies in the caravan site up the road so it's ok to demand that all gippos get their heads kicked in by riot cops before being deported

Yeah see it's funny to be anti racist when it concerns people who are far away.
When they're in your back yard not so much

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Great Britain disagrees.
USA disagrees.

usa was and is still built on the fact that certain people are allowed to do whatever, they are called rich people and they steal from people who arent rich and you saying "well yeah but my clique stealing from people outside our group is okay and also the opposite of what those pigs do!" is retarded lol

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

the cognitive dissonance here is hurting my head. its a bad thing to generalize gypsies as all being dirty thieves and its just as bad to say they are all good and cool people when you were just talking about how they'll steal from you if you arent romanian/speak the language

it sounds very much like the romanians you were specifically talking about were not cool people and probably hurt some very poor people by stealing the last of their money, if they regularly make a habit of stealing from people on public transit

not Romanians. Romanian gipsies.
There's a difference.

I live by the belief that people have the ethics they can afford, and most of the gipsies I know are cool. But I never said they are all good. Good and cool aren't actual synonyms.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
full gypsy communism

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

usa was and is still built on the fact that certain people are allowed to do whatever, they are called rich people and they steal from people who arent rich and you saying "well yeah but my clique stealing from people outside our group is okay and also the opposite of what those pigs do!" is retarded lol

they're anti capitalist because they refuse to integrate in the mainstream society and be obedient sheeple.
And if you think you can compare a bunch of gipsies pickpocketing people on a bus to capitalists destroying whole countries for shits and giggles, you may have a problem.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

not Romanians. Romanian gipsies.
There's a difference.

I live by the belief that people have the ethics they can afford, and most of the gipsies I know are cool. But I never said they are all good. Good and cool aren't actual synonyms.

yeah i typed roma and the rest got filled in and i didnt notice i guess

they're anti capitalist because they refuse to integrate in the mainstream society and be obedient sheeple.
And if you think you can compare a bunch of gipsies pickpocketing people on a bus to capitalists destroying whole countries for shits and giggles, you may have a problem.

i guess i always kind of thought roma didnt like being hated by literally the whole of europe to the point that they were (maybe still are?) occasionally lynched or driven out of town or just beaten up, but thats just the idea i got from talking to a number of roma people. thank you for telling me that actually they all dont care and just want to steal and be hipsters, i guess

and you can compare it, not in scope but in concept, because it is literally the same idea of "its okay as long as i do it to those other fuckers, who are assholes anyway, gently caress them"

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

i guess i always kind of thought roma didnt like being hated by literally the whole of europe to the point that they were (maybe still are?) occasionally lynched or driven out of town or just beaten up, but thats just the idea i got from talking to a number of roma people. thank you for telling me that actually they all dont care and just want to steal and be hipsters, i guess

and you can compare it, not in scope but in concept, because it is literally the same idea of "its okay as long as i do it to those other fuckers, who are assholes anyway, gently caress them"
it's a complex subject and i can't speak for them. Most of the roma i know want to live their lives in peace feed their kids and preserve their traditions which are in complete opposition to the mainstream in many cases.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

it's a complex subject and i can't speak for them. Most of the roma i know want to live their lives in peace feed their kids and preserve their traditions which are in complete opposition to the mainstream in many cases.

you already literally have spoken for them, multiple times, in this very thread

may want to go edit those out

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Actual gypsy here AMA

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Wtf is that place?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Actual gypsy here AMA

how do you feel about white people with tangential relationships to roma families talking as though he knows how you all act and want to be represented?

did he get it about right, at least?

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

yeah i typed roma and the rest got filled in and i didnt notice i guess

it kind of isn't because their attitude is born from need. Gipsies used to be slaves. When they were freed, nobody wanted to hire them to the point where they tried o sell themselves back into slavery so they could survive.
The discrimination is alive and well, and of course they'd rather stay away from a society that at best wants them far away and at worst wants to murder them

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

you already literally have spoken for them, multiple times, in this very thread

may want to go edit those out

i'm pretty sure i haven't. but please show me where did I do that

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dreylad posted:

anyone got a final solution to this problem?

idgit

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

how do you feel about white people with tangential relationships to roma families talking as though he knows how you all act and want to be represented?

did he get it about right, at least?

Can't speak for all gypsies obviously but gypsies on the whole are pretty drat well integrated into British society as a whole to the point where a significant proportion of the self employed tradesmen you will see at any given point have a high chance of being Roma. Unfortunately due to the prejudice we have from having pride in our heritage most will not openly admit to being one.

For example, my mother (who is Roma) was targeted by 'concerned neighbours' after she and my dad (who isn't Roma) moved into a house and it was 'found out' she was Roma. Our family was pretty much forced out. Our house was harassed, dog poo poo posted through our letter box, all that other crap, and when we went to the police we were told that "Maybe we should consider moving"

As a kid I was told to not tell the other kids that I was Roma. I didn't find out why until I let it slip one day and other kids were mysteriously told not to play with me anymore. After that I figured it was best to keep things quiet and live in shame for an easier life.

You do get the Roma that do actually live up to the image of them (some of my own family do, for example) but for the most part you'd never know thanks to the aforementioned shame and bigotry.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

is this the same thing as a pikey because i bought some ketamine off a pikey once and it was poo poo

what i get for buying drugs off a pikey i suppose

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Ddraig posted:

Can't speak for all gypsies obviously but gypsies on the whole are pretty drat well integrated into British society as a whole to the point where a significant proportion of the self employed tradesmen you will see at any given point have a high chance of being Roma. Unfortunately due to the prejudice we have from having pride in our heritage most will not openly admit to being one.

For example, my mother (who is Roma) was targeted by 'concerned neighbours' after she and my dad (who isn't Roma) moved into a house and it was 'found out' she was Roma. Our family was pretty much forced out. Our house was harassed, dog poo poo posted through our letter box, all that other crap, and when we went to the police we were told that "Maybe we should consider moving"

As a kid I was told to not tell the other kids that I was Roma. I didn't find out why until I let it slip one day and other kids were mysteriously told not to play with me anymore. After that I figured it was best to keep things quiet and live in shame for an easier life.

You do get the Roma that do actually live up to the image of them (some of my own family do, for example) but for the most part you'd never know thanks to the aforementioned shame and bigotry.

The gipsies back home are still keeping to the tribal traditions and laws. I know little about the integrated Roma in the UK.
Do you speak Romanichal?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pikeys are Irish gypsies, basically.

There's a bit of animosity between them and other gyspies in Britain but we can put our differences aside and present a united front for the greater good when it is called for, I think.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ddraig posted:

Actual gypsy here AMA

Gimme back my stuff.

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Ddraig posted:

There's a bit of animosity between them and other gyspies in Britain but we can put our differences aside and present a united front for the greater good when it is called for, I think.

I am sorry but i don't see the pikeys as being integrated, but I have little experience with them.
back home the gipsies are still organized in tribes named after their main trade occupation, and most still follow all of the tribal laws and customs.
Romania invests a lot of money in integration programs, with very little result.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The gipsies back home are still keeping to the tribal traditions and laws. I know little about the integrated Roma in the UK.
Do you speak Romanichal?

I guess so. Very broken though. My great grandmother was a pretty cool woman who taught me that along with other things. I guess people from her generation and earlier embraced the culture more than those that came after her did. My mother, for example, had a certain respect for that stuff but only in private. She wasn't as open as her parents etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Applewhite posted:

Gimme back my stuff.

Fight me for it bro.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I don't like the racism against gypsies because of the history etc etc but literally the only times I've had contact with gypsies was when I was sitting outside a cafe or bar in berlin and they would swarm around the people just plain begging them for money while they were eating. Not even a sob story or anything, just holding hand out saying "money please"

What I'm saying is that it's really, really easy to have a bad view on gypsies because the only times people will see them is when they're harrassing people.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
please stop picking pockets and other crimes, thanks

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

how do you say leicester? i want to tell people about this but i don't want to say the word wrong

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Infinite Karma posted:

how do you say leicester? i want to tell people about this but i don't want to say the word wrong

Lester, as in Molester.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn_96y-c2s

sorry for the quality, filmed with a lovely chinese phone by my boyfriend.
These guys are Romanian gipsies. Trust me, I KNOW they're Romanian gipsies. They're ours.

They're all over Europe. This is what they do- and the money goes home to their families.

Not all gipsies are beggars and thieves, and not all come over to live on welfare.

you sound like a human being and romanians are trash except for gypsies

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

Ddraig posted:

I guess so. Very broken though. My great grandmother was a pretty cool woman who taught me that along with other things. I guess people from her generation and earlier embraced the culture more than those that came after her did. My mother, for example, had a certain respect for that stuff but only in private. She wasn't as open as her parents etc.

our guys are still for the most part organized in tribes, including having a king and paying a certain tithe to the tribe leader- the Bulibasha.
In exchange, at least in my hometown, the bulibasha interferes for them with the authorities and police ( since a lot of them end up in jail at some point or another), etc.

the gipsies in Romania have been for a very long time reluctant to get themselves registered in the official papers- because these were used by the authorities to go after them and deport them to Transnistria in WW2. Recently they started to register their children's births to get child allowances and also to be able to get driving licences.

I guess there is at some point a trade being made - be integrated or keep your identity. From what you are saying the integrating part doesn't always work.
IN Romania as well, I remember growing up and hearing gossip that so and so, otherwise normal and perfectly integrated was a gipsy as if it was a bad thing.(disclaimer Romanians are still hilariously racist).

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

RideTheSpiral posted:

you sound like a human being and romanians are trash except for gypsies

yes because only gay guys have boyfriends

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ddraig posted:

then why are there so many videos of them fighting on youtube?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Whorelord posted:

then why are there so many videos of them fighting on youtube?

Fighting is a gypsy tradition.

My uncle is a bit of a disappointment in that front. He trained virtually all of his life to be a boxer and in his first and only professional fight he lost with a TKO lmao

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Son of Rodney posted:

I like gipsy music

"my father died from drinking, my mother died from the cold, here's a funky tune so I dont collapse into a sobbing heap"

tbh this is 90% of music and even art in general east of vienna

ChlorophileAddict
Jun 15, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

tbh this is 90% of music and even art in general east of vienna

not really
nowadays it's more like "look at my money and my kids, my enemies are dying of envy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xedWSskdQ

let it be noted that I brought the noble art of Manele to SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybn3dDi-S3c

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I can't speak for Roma people but Irish Travellers love 50s rock 'n' roll. The local families here get together a few times a year to hire out a hall, book a band and have an awesome party.

Occasionally the local youth will wander in to laugh at the old timey music and get the piss beaten out of them by drunken pikeys in brothel creepers and pompadour haircuts.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Your phone looks like you've bought it from a Gypsy OP

Me, I buy heroin from them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I don't usually click on threads with words i can't pronounce in the title, I went against that today and it further reinforced my thoughts on why I always had that policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Pikeys always wanna know if you like dags.
Like wtf.

• Locked thread