Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
don't get dumb tattoos in places you can see, kids

your business competitors will see them and know of your power, making them wary and harder to dispose of

cover your butt in aggressive tattoos that say things like "drat, No Fear" and "HELL" to channel the power of the gods without alerting your enemies

maybe a skull giving the heavy metal devil horns on the small of your back

heavy metal tramp stamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hedonist posted:

Tattoos make you look like a trashy piece of poo poo, it matters not how accepted they are.

Sorry, you're objectively wrong.

alt-text: Honey, if this is trashy then count me in

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sorry, you're objectively wrong.

alt-text: Honey, if this is trashy then count me in

wow i guess you're right, this man who made a career singing and doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to looks great with tattoos after being professionally photographed and the picture being touched up by graphic design majors

i'm sure your "Grim Reaper with Flaming 8 Balls for Eyes" full sleeve looks just as good as this

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
inscribe the ancient rune of Wycked Sick Snake Coiled Around Bowie Knife on your abdomen to grant you the courage of Urmlath The Immolator

that fool Steve from Accounting will be none the wiser

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

wow i guess you're right, this man who made a career singing and doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to looks great with tattoos after being professionally photographed and the picture being touched up by graphic design majors

i'm sure your "Grim Reaper with Flaming 8 Balls for Eyes" full sleeve looks just as good as this

I actually don't have a single tattoo :shobon:

I was just pointing out having a tattoo doesn't automatically make you look like trailer trash.

e: also, Levine and his tats look good even in candid shots, stop being jelly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
get a tattoo of a wristwatch where a watch would normally be, only the only thing on the face are the words "PARTY TIME"

then wear an actual watch over it, heh nobody will know what time it really is

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Monkey Fracas posted:

don't get dumb tattoos in places you can see, kids

your business competitors will see them and know of your power, making them wary and harder to dispose of

cover your butt in aggressive tattoos that say things like "drat, No Fear" and "HELL" to channel the power of the gods without alerting your enemies

maybe a skull giving the heavy metal devil horns on the small of your back

heavy metal tramp stamp

sound advice. plz post in my chaos magick thread in byob

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it might be more socially acceptable over here because basically everyone's granddad was a fisherman or sailor of some sort and they tend to have a lot of tattoos. Faded greenish tattoos that only vaguely suggest the shape of the original image probably done with a homemade tattoo machine in a Rotterdam brothel.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I wonder what the correlation is between people getting defensive in this thread and people who get mad about pit bull threads

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

tattoo rights is an insult to those marginalized by choices they didn't make themselves and if you don't agree you've probably got a fancy vape pen and child support payments

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure that my resume is more of a mark of shame than any tattoo, but thanks for the 411 op.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

my ~just breathe~ stomach tattoo hasn't affected my employment chances. this is because i'm a sexy slut that poses nude for erotic photos and videos

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
jobs are for squares
just get goldenpalace.com tattooed on your forehead for a one-time cash payout
that'll show your parents you can make bank without becoming a cubicle drone

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

if you can't take someone seriously because they have a full sleeve tattoo of various types of birds and roses, maybe you're the one who has some growing up to do

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i like when white ppl appropriate stuff from native americans and mexicans and japanese ppl for their tats it lets me know that theyre really deep

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

a good business tattoo would be if for whatever reason the apocalypse happened and paper disappeared, but for whatever reason the corporate world was still completely intact. that way you could get your resume tattooed on your back like mad max had his blood info done on his

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

of course, you'd be paid in guzzoline and bullets, and i imagine the demand for quality tattoo artists would skyrocket in such a scenario

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
yes look at the classy executive looking people who work as software engineers (at google nonetheless) making over six figures

maybe on the east coast least coast it'd hurt

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008

if you can't take someone seriously because they have a full sleeve tattoo of various types of birds and roses, maybe you're the one who has some growing up to do

Tattoos are ubiquitous now. You should be doing work that is evaluated on the quality of the work itself, not on the appearance of the person doing the work.

Crazy earlobe stretching still freaks me out though.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Qvindtar posted:

Tattoos are ubiquitous now. You should be doing work that is evaluated on the quality of the work itself, not on the appearance of the person doing the work.

Crazy earlobe stretching still freaks me out though.

im gonna trust someone who thought that getting a full sleeve ed hardy knockoff tattoo was a good life decision to make major decisions at the company that i work for, lol

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Get this man to law school STAT! Or maybe doctor school.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
If you are trying to get a job outside of a "creative" industry or poo poo tier retail, it is pretty myopic to say a tattoo couldn't possibly hurt your chances of advancement. I am not offering an opinion on whether it is ok but there are certain societal consequences that can crop up due to a need to showcase your originality. You can say it is bullshit and all that but that won't pay the bills :shrug:. I personally am not a huge fan of tattoos because they are generally pretty bad/ugly. I am not sure that it would influence a hiring decision I was involved in unless it was really bad (think looney toons themed or just horrible tattoos out of someone's kitchen).

This post brought to you by Demonachizer.

EDIT:

ThaGrandCow posted:

Future nobel laureate.

This edit brought to you by Demonachizer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Saw a dude on the street who had an arm tattoo which consisted of a crude drawing of a woman's buttocks, vagina, and anus. Beneath this was the Mr. Softee logo,

but with stinklines radiating out from it to imply that the "ice cream" was actually feces deposited by the anus located directly above. He was apparently employed as a deliveryman, but I am otherwise uncertain as to what career path he has taken.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
It seems like in some ways the proper order of operations should be:

1. Get a career going and some real money in your pocket.
2. Hire someone highly skilled to do the tattoo (think a horiyoshi III or someone of similar caliber) that will be etched into your skin semi permanently using some of that real money in your pocket.

I think that a lot of idiots go for:

1. Get a lovely cheap tattoo at random generic tattoo parlor #167463
2. Hi, I am finally ready to grow up and get a career, please hire me.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 23, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ThaGrandCow posted:

I like that this thing stretches his cheek down, from the front he must look like a very hip bulldog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

yes look at the classy executive looking people who work as software engineers (at google nonetheless) making over six figures

looks to me like some people hacking out code that they get paid a pittance for compared to the wealth it generates

truly the movers and shakers over at google

I agree in principle but in practice you're not going to convince the 30% or so of the population that just automatically assumes you are a trash person. Why shoot yourself in the foot by getting a visible tattoo unless you are 100% sure it isn't going to affect your career detrimentally?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 23, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

not in anything where your skills are actually valued, no

working customer service at the dairy queen it might matter what the archie bunkers of GBS think but otherwise nobody cares anywhere

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 23, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Moridin920 posted:

looks to me like some people hacking out code that they get paid a pittance for compared to the wealth it generates

*every job ever*

nice argument

http://www.inkedmag.com/tattooed-presidents/

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ThaGrandCow posted:

otoh I've never seen a guy with these things employed anywhere but at a checkout counter or a tattoo parlor so

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Most people with lovely tattoos are trash and boring but if you cant tell the difference between good and bad work you yourself might be highly retarded. As for holding you back its highly situational and people with any sense have knowingly made the decision to get visible tattoos and are prepared to deal with it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah my argument was about visible tattoos while wearing regular work attire. Good to know 2-3 presidents may have had tattoos on their chest or thigh though.

Pretty sure no one in the Senate has finger tattoos like half the cooks I know.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah my argument was about visible tattoos while wearing regular work attire.

your argument was that those software engineers at google aren't making enough money compared to the wealth they generate

quote:

Here's some stats:
http://www.salary.com/tattoos-hurt-chances-getting-job/

quote:

Of the nearly 2,700 people we surveyed, 12% reported having a visible tattoo that can be seen by managers and coworkers during the workday. Only 3% reported having a visible body piercing (other than an earring).

The biggest takeaways from our survey include a whopping 76% of respondents feel tattoos and piercings hurt an applicant’s chances of being hired during a job interview. And more than one-third – 39% of those surveyed – believe employees with tattoos and piercings reflect poorly on their employers. Furthermore, 42% feel visible tattoos are always inappropriate at work, with 55% reporting the same thing about body piercings.

Fortunately, only 4% of those with tattoos and piercings report having faced actual discrimination because of their ink and body art.

The article speaks for itself pretty well.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Wow nice list of three presidents (last one seems tongue in cheek) that had non-visible tattoos.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

your argument was that those software engineers at google aren't making enough money compared to the wealth they generate

That's something completely separate from the tattoo argument. I said 'most professional well paying jobs in an office environment require a certain standard of appearance which doesn't include visible tattoos or piercings,' someone posted that picture, and I said 'yeah totally top level guys.' Since those workers are probably just the average Google employee and not in any position of authority.

I recommend you read the 2 page thread if you're having trouble following.

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008

im gonna trust someone who thought that getting a full sleeve ed hardy knockoff tattoo was a good life decision to make major decisions at the company that i work for, lol

That's the good thing about tattoos - if someone has lovely taste/poor decision making-abilities they've conveniently advertised it on their body for everyone to see.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't influence my hiring/promotion decisions if someone had a really lovely tattoo. I work in a creative field where my coworkers do pretty well financially and many of them have really nice tattoos. Sure, it's a personal anecdote but looking back even 10 years ago it's no longer a counter-culture thing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

The article speaks for itself pretty well.

Of the nearly 2,700 people we surveyed, 12% reported having a visible tattoo that can be seen by managers and coworkers during the workday. Only 3% reported having a visible body piercing (other than an earring).

The biggest takeaways from our survey include a whopping 76% of respondents feel tattoos and piercings hurt an applicant’s chances of being hired during a job interview. And more than one-third – 39% of those surveyed – believe employees with tattoos and piercings reflect poorly on their employers. Furthermore, 42% feel visible tattoos are always inappropriate at work, with 55% reporting the same thing about body piercings.

Fortunately, only 4% of those with tattoos and piercings report having faced actual discrimination because of their ink and body art.

hm 76% of people think it negatively affects interview chances, and 40% think it is inappropriate for an employee to have a tattoo and that it reflects poorly on the company.

Sounds to me like that is more telling than the 4% of those with tattoos saying they aren't getting discriminated against.

And again, VISIBLE TATTOOS. Not a chest piece that no one ever sees.

As an employer doing hiring: why hire a person who 40% of your customers are going to automatically see as a poor reflection on the company instead of the numerous other equally well qualified people?

I'm talking about professional office type jobs, not the cook in the local restaurant. I've done both and I'm fully aware that in some careers it doesn't matter whatsoever but those are usually some not very well paying careers.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Demonachizer posted:

Wow nice list of three presidents (last one seems tongue in cheek) that had non-visible tattoos.

thank you

Moridin920 posted:

That's something completely separate from the tattoo argument. I said 'most professional well paying jobs in an office environment require a certain standard of appearance which doesn't include visible tattoos or piercings,' someone posted that picture, and I said 'yeah totally top level guys.' Since those workers are probably just the average Google employee and not in any position of authority.

I recommend you read the 2 page thread if you're having trouble following.

inferred not said

I just feel like arguing with everyone I don't really give a gently caress either way. I just basically argued both sides. I don't think open tattoos necessarily hinder you if you're talented enough (like the google guys despite moridin saying they're in poverty), but I don't think they necessarily don't either. That salary.com article has the :science: of it so that's probably what should be believed until a hypothetical study otherwise disproves it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
http://www.careerbuilder.com/share/aboutus/pressreleasesdetail.aspx?sd=6%2F30%2F2011&id=pr642&ed=12%2F31%2F2011

The top personal attributes employers say would make them less likely to extend a promotion include:

• Piercings – 37 percent

• Bad breath – 34 percent

• Visible tattoo – 31 percent

• Often has wrinkled clothes – 31 percent

• Messy hair – 29 percent

• Dresses too casually – 28 percent

• Too much perfume or cologne – 26 percent

• Too much makeup – 22 percent

• Messy office or cubicle – 19 percent

• Chewed fingernails – 10 percent

• Too suntanned – 4 percent

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

I just feel like arguing with everyone I don't really give a gently caress either way.

Fair enough. Counterpoint: the Demonachizer post above this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
one or two visible tattoos that are not on your face or neck should be OK, but LOL at anyone over 18 that has any kind of non-ear piercings. that poo poo is ridiculous, disgusting, and childish looking.

• Locked thread