Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Blazing Ownager posted:

The secret: it wasn't.

Halo was only popular because console players had never seen an FPS that was somewhat like the kinds of FPS we had on PC. Half-Life 2 was so far and away superior it felt like a huge step back.

Also Halo has no sense of pacing, story, or tone. Trying to be a horror game and HUUUUGE EPIIIIC while having little aliens run around babbling in comedic catchphrases does not work, Bungie.
lol am I 12 again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

okay cool, better pass the memo on that comedic relief is now banned in anything trying to be remotely serious at any point

Comedic relief is cool but it's about timing. When the music is swelling up as some kind of tragedy and trying to sell you on the horrors of what you're seeing while some creature is chattering in the corner cracking jokes, poo poo doesn't work.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Whatev posted:

lol am I 12 again?

we all are itt, friend

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

people are saying Skyrim is boring because it's four goddam years later and it's still one of the most-played and bought games on Steam, it's all hindsight.

you're forgetting what the landscape actually was in 2011: what was supposed to be the big blockbuster RPG for the year, DA2, was a horrible wet fart, things were dark and bleak. people like this shithead: http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/05/20/dragon-age-ii-and-the-decline-of-the-old-school-rpg were crowing that the RPG was on its way out. after Skyrim released, the only people calling Skyrim boring were turbospergs who speedran the main quest line and bitched "THATS IT??" in the biggest case of "missing the loving point" this century

your going to love i when fallout 4 is mass effect lol

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Gaylo: Combat Devolved

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Half Life 2 didn't have sticky plasma grenades.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

your going to love i when fallout 4 is mass effect lol

no I'm not :negative:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
actually its a seriously good game and ive preordered the collectors edition. who knew so many goons hated fun?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

yall are going to be so mad when me and my crew beat the new raid first :smug:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

me while doing the new destiny teabag emote over GBS: hahahaha get owned nerds!

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Blazing Zero posted:

:argh:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Blazing Zero posted:

Can I join?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

destiny is a travesty but the dark souls games are true tojo garbage and you faggots that play them should be ashamed of yourselves

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also if you dont dig on the metro 3033 redux games as fps then get the gently caress out of here

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Blue Raider posted:

destiny is a travesty but the dark souls games are true tojo garbage and you faggots that play them should be ashamed of yourselves

you know, sometimes you just need to own up to the fact that the problem isn't the game, it is you

like New Vegas - that poo poo is indeed probably the best Fallout game of the decade but I just couldn't get into it like I did Fallout 3. it's not NV's fault, it's mine. same deal with Dark Souls - I've only gotten a tiny bit of the way into it and I don't know if I'll ever properly beat it, but I'd like to, just to say I did

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
note this does NOT APPLY to DA2 or any EA property :jihad:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lol if you haven't beaten Dark Souls more than 30 times with different builds and speedruns.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you know, sometimes you just need to own up to the fact that the problem isn't the game, it is you

like New Vegas - that poo poo is indeed probably the best Fallout game of the decade but I just couldn't get into it like I did Fallout 3. it's not NV's fault, it's mine. same deal with Dark Souls - I've only gotten a tiny bit of the way into it and I don't know if I'll ever properly beat it, but I'd like to, just to say I did

dont make excuses for an overly wordy doodoo brown broken game like new Vegas. own your right opinions.

i played a decent way into dark souls and i quit out of boredom once i got to the sewers. ill never understand the appeal of those unfun slogs

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Blue Raider posted:

i played a decent way into dark souls and i quit out of boredom once i got to the sewers. ill never understand the appeal of those unfun slogs

lol you went to sewers wat a scrub

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Blue Raider posted:

dont make excuses for an overly wordy doodoo brown broken game like new Vegas. own your right opinions.

Your gay.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
arguing w a furry webcomic artist about videogames is great my fav pastime

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
The Despair of Defiance

Unlike the despair of weakness, the despair of defiance is the despair of wanting in desperation to be oneself. Here despair is conscious of itself as an activity. The self 's identity comes not from "outside" but directly from the self. It is rooted in the consciousness of an infinitude, of being related to the infinite, and it is this self the despairer wants to be. In other words, such a self severs itself from any relationship to the power that has established it.

It wants desperately to rule over itself, create itself, make this self what it wants it to be, and determine what it will have and what it will not have. The one who lives in defiance does not truly put on a self, nor does he see his task in his given self. No, by virtue of his own "infinitude" he constructs his own self by himself and for himself.

The defiant self recognizes no power other than its own. It is content with taking notice only of itself, which it does by means of bestowing infinite interest and significance on all its enterprises. In the process of its wish to be its own master, however, it works its way into the exact opposite; it really becomes no self, and thus despairs. As it acts, there is nothing eternally firm on which it stands. Yes, the defiant self is its own master, absolutely (as one says) its own master, and yet exactly this is despair.

Upon closer examination it is easy to see that this absolute ruler is a king without a country. He really rules over nothing. His position, his kingdom, his sovereignty, is subject to the dictates of rebellion at any moment. This is because such a self is forever building castles in the air, and just when it seems on the point of having the building finished, at a whim it can – and often does – dissolve the whole thing into nothing.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Destiny feels like a F2P game mixed with Halo.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i thought dinklage was a good actor but he is a bad video game ball

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

i thought dinklage was a good actor but he is a bad video game ball

in his defense he had to read some straight up howlers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

The secret: it wasn't.

Halo was only popular because console players had never seen an FPS that was somewhat like the kinds of FPS we had on PC. Half-Life 2 was so far and away superior it felt like a huge step back.

Also Halo has no sense of pacing, story, or tone. Trying to be a horror game and HUUUUGE EPIIIIC while having little aliens run around babbling in comedic catchphrases does not work, Bungie.

Nah it was a fun if not derivative space opera with a cool soundtrack and more importantly, an easy to pick up and addictive multiplayer that was great at LAN parties and online.

At some point (and I don't know or care enough to discern exactly when) Bungie dissapeared completely up their own asses and the result was Destiny. I knew that game would be poo poo when they started talking like they invented space fantasy during the initial promo vids

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Destiny was so bad it turned me into a predatory gay.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp
While borderlands had a bajillion number of guns with tons of unique and amusing effects.

Destiny has the assault rifle, burst mode assault rifle, pistol, rocket launcher, lmg, pulse rifles, sniper, dmrs, and shotguns with perks that even when legendary have only minor effects on gameplay. Character classes only matter every 2 minutes for your super move.Gear has only 3 stats to account for, an example would be a legendary chest piece that takes dozens of hours of grind will make your grenade cooldown go from 10 seconds to 8.1.

Also you've seen all the enemies and content in the game in like 10 hours

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

This season pass for Batman: Arkham Knight delivers new content every month for 6 months, featuring new story missions, more supervillains invading Gotham City, new legendary Batmobiles, advanced challenge maps, alternative character skins, and new drivable race tracks.

FOURTY DOLLARS

If you bought Arkham Knight, a single player game where there is no multiplayer community that can "expire", you are part of the problem. The rear end in a top hat developers spread 6 different preorder bonuses across different vendors on purpose.
Just like the prior Arkham games these will not be part of the season pass and you get to pay more for them later IF they are available. And then *poof* magically a GOTY comes around and you get the game and ALL content for 40 $. Wait, that is the price of the season pass alone you say? What a surprise.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 24, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol if you played destiny more then a week.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The retards at bungie made the worst f2p facebook game ever because it costs 160 loving dollars a year to play something with the content equivalent or the starter areas/level 10 dungeons in WoW

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

If you bought Arkham Knight, a single player game where there is no multiplayer community that can "expire", you are part of the problem. The rear end in a top hat developers spread 6 different preorder bonuses across different vendors on purpose.
Just like the prior Arkham games these will not be part of the season pass and you get to pay more for them later IF they are available. And then *poof* magically a GOTY comes around and you get the game and ALL content for 40 $. Wait, that is the price of the season pass alone you say? What a surprise.

why are you complaining about GOTY editions? they rule, thats the only kind of game i buy. if a game has content (not costumes or poo poo) DLC valued more than the game itself i just dont get that game and wait for a sale.

i guess i am thankful I don't like multiplayer games, developers can't hold the limited amount of viable community time hostage to make me pay release price.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

destiny is actually cool and fun and you can shoot lasers at aliens

also lol at the guy who was like "at least in borderlands good items drop for your character", like lmfao good one my man

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bloodsacrifice posted:

While borderlands had a bajillion number of guns with tons of unique and amusing effects.

Destiny has the assault rifle, burst mode assault rifle, pistol, rocket launcher, lmg, pulse rifles, sniper, dmrs, and shotguns with perks that even when legendary have only minor effects on gameplay. Character classes only matter every 2 minutes for your super move.Gear has only 3 stats to account for, an example would be a legendary chest piece that takes dozens of hours of grind will make your grenade cooldown go from 10 seconds to 8.1.

Also you've seen all the enemies and content in the game in like 10 hours
I'm still amazed how long it took them to fix shotguns. It's unfair to say that none of the guns had a big effect, but the amazing ones were locked behind the worst grinds and then even required more grinding to 'upgrade' so they actually did their special thing and then they nerfed them all to poo poo anyway cause someone whined

Battery Joe
Apr 12, 2007
talkin' shit about a pretty sunset
i half watched my housemate play borderlands 2 a while back and the humor attempts in that game are maddening.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

big laffs

http://kotaku.com/new-destiny-quest-is-exclusive-to-red-bull-1713588960

quote:

Activision Publishing, Inc. and Bungie, together with energy drink category leader Red Bull today announced a partnership that will bring an epic new quest to players of the popular sci-fi action adventure game franchise Destiny via custom-designed Red Bull® Energy Drink cans, inviting consumers across the United States and Canada to Become Legend, making this the first time a video-game, or any third party brand, has ever appeared on the iconic Red Bull can.

Access to the quest will be available on specially-marked cans of Red Bull and leverage themes of speed, tenacity and strategy inspired by the energy drink, through https://www.redbullquest.com. Each Red Bull can will also include bonus XP to help players prepare for this epic quest. Players can start using the bonus XP throughout the summer, with the in-game quest kicking off following the launch of The Taken King, the latest addition to the Destiny universe scheduled for release on September 15, 2015.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Battery Joe posted:

i half watched my housemate play borderlands 2 a while back and the humor attempts in that game are maddening.
True, I would rather have the launch Destiny's non-story than that poo poo. But I suffered through it for good gameplay, which is more than I can say of my time with Destiny
:negative:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

why are you complaining about GOTY editions? they rule, thats the only kind of game i buy. if a game has content (not costumes or poo poo) DLC valued more than the game itself i just dont get that game and wait for a sale.

i guess i am thankful I don't like multiplayer games, developers can't hold the limited amount of viable community time hostage to make me pay release price.

I am not complaining about GOTY editions. I love them myself.
I am complaining about the developers spreading different preorder bonuses across multiple vendors and selling them for an additional price later and the people who support this by buying a single player game that is sold to them piecemeal instead of waiting and buying the GOTY edition that comes up anyway.
(Which may also be a necessary purchase in order to get all content, even if you own the base game already. iirc this was the case with all other Arkham games. Some preorder DLC was only available in the GOTY, not seperate)

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
destiny could have as many as 20 cool emotes and still suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

True, I would rather have the launch Destiny's non-story than that poo poo. But I suffered through it for good gameplay, which is more than I can say of my time with Destiny

the endgame is a terrible MMO-style grind for poo poo and the drop rates are way too low in general but I will say this- it's fun up to maybe halfway through the second playthrough (at which point every enemy turns into a bullet sponge and you really really need rare, powerful guns for it to be fun anymore) as you randomly find guns around and play with them to see how your abilities synergize with whatever you've picked up

the cutscenes may be terrible and dumb but the general atmosphere when you're in the thick of the gameplay itself is light, fun, and pleasantly goofy (player character half-assedly quotes old action film one-liners, hums in the hall of the mountain king while dual wielding, enemies sometimes die in brutal yet sometimes comical ways)

I didn't play the most recent one so maybe it's now bad but 2 was fun enough for a while I'd say

Destiny just looks really dull, at all times

• Locked thread