Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Many people here remember the first Hulk film. It was maligned by nearly every critic, and that hatred was magnified by the movie going public.

The film had a problematic production schedule, and a leak of a early workprint cemented the negative rumours that were already going about the internet about the film.

But beneath all that hate and criticism it seems to me that the film is in fact a masterpiece. Let us look at all the facts. The film was directed by legendary director Ang Lee who had just finished filming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. He is far from one to shy away from violence. We had the actors, they were all top class. Eric Bana, Jennifer Connelly, Sam Elliot, and Nick Nolte. All have been nominated or were nominated for Oscars at one point or another in the career.

The filmed was cerebral and strange. Almost surreal in nature. I remember being drawn to it time and time again because of this. I feel that Ang Lee in analyzing the themes presented by the concept of the Hulk approached it in a very realistic manner, and a manner that is too dramatic for the common filmgoer. It feels like a art house film more than your modern blockbuster and that what makes me like it so much. In Eric Bana's troubled and brooding Bruce Banner you find a figure with so much mystery. The genius in this representation is that this troubled history is not only hidden by Banner, but Banner himself is not aware of it nor does he display it in his interactions with others. Even though all the warnings signs are there. It is not a part of his exterior image, but belongs to his inner psyche, his subconscious, bubbling beneath the surface of what he thinks is the real him.

I don't think I've seen such a nuanced and well put together exploration of the human psyche in a film featuring a comic book character in my life before. It reminds me quite a bit of the film Unbreakable in it's pacing and nuance.

The themes throughout the film were featured it in a time where they were neither politically wise nor popular. It is a post-obama film seemingly flung into the middle of a post-9/11 world. The destructive nature of the military-industrial complex and its leaders as depicted in The Hulk are the exact antithesis of later Marvel films with their SHIELD and Nick Fury. So many things ring so true in ways that are surprisingly fresh even today.

I think the way this film has been treated is criminal. Its take on the superhero genre was far ahead of its time. It approached the subject matter in a way only other directors could dream of. Compared to this film Nolan's Batman treatment are mere hack jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I didn't like it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The true misunderstood masterpiece is Dolph Lundgrenn's Punisher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like this movie a lot but Hulk dogs was still real dumb.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

The true misunderstood masterpiece is Dolph Lundgrenn's Punisher.

I unironically agree with this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It was actually just called Hulk. It did a couple things I liked, but it was not good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It was better than the Ed Norton Hulk movie. :colbert:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I liked it, alot. The Hulk himself was just a manifestation of Bruces repressed memories as a child and was literally a fifteen foot tall toddler throwing a huge tantrum.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

like a handful of overzealous posters will claim it's a masterpiece but majority in the world disliked it at the time

personally I thought it was an ok movie regardless of loving hilarious CGI and monster poodles. probably wasn't what people expected from a "Hulk" movie. the dynamic with Bruce's father and past was a great touch even if making his dad the Absorbing Man was odd; that relationship was eons better than the majority of comic book movie villains because it was so raw. "Masterpiece" though is some heavy hyperbole because this movie drags at quite a few points. Definitely not a horrible film, though.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Compared to this film Nolan's Batman treatment are mere hack jobs.

I think DKR was trash but even still, lol

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I liked that movie a lot. Hulk poodles didn't bother me, even if they were stupid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was better than the Ed Norton Hulk movie. :colbert:

The Ed Norton version has a handful of scenes that are better than anything in Ang Lee's Hulk but yea it still isn't all that great.

The college campus scene where Blonskey fights the Hulk, and the first action scene in South America are great though.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Nick Nolte angrily biting into a power cable is one of my favorite moments in cinema.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The main thing I remember about Hulk was the dog-fight sequence almost making me throw up. I think it was the combination of handheld camerawork and early-2000s CGI - there were times when 90% of the screen was filled with rubbery-looking fake flesh and fur framed way too close and squirming about as the camera thrashed all over the place. Blair Witch? No problem. This? :barf:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The comic book framing stuff was pretty cool, as was the weird jellyfish dream desert.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eric Bana was horrible casting for Bruce Banner. The guy's huge and handsome. Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo aren't exactly ugly, but at least they look like nerdy, imperfect human beings when surrounded by super hot stars.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

PerpetualSelf posted:

Its take on the superhero genre was far ahead of its time.

More like behind the times, moviegoers didn't and don't want a hulk that's smarter than they are

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a beautiful weird experiment. It's weird that anyone gave Ang Lee the job. It's like they just watched the fight scenes in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and forgot that those fight scenes are nestled in a complicated romance movie and criticism of traditional Chinese culture.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Ang Lee's best film is Sense and Sensibility. How anyone could watch that and then Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and think they would get anything but an emotionally cerebral roller-coaster is a mystery to me. The films his talent was more officially recognized for, Brokeback Mountain, and Life of Pi came much later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Brokeback Mountain was only a year or two after Hulk.

Was Ang Lee's Hulk really so derided at the time? I never saw it but I remember when it came out it got mixed reviews in the literal meaning, a lot of people praised it as better than most of the recent comic book movies while a lot disliked it, but I don't feel like it got critically savaged the way Terminator 3 did when it came out at the same time. I feel like it's only after the Nolan movies and the new Marvel continuity in particular that fans moved on to disavowing any comic movie that came before/outside of Official Marvel Continuity. But maybe that's just my selective memory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Brokeback Mountain was only a year or two after Hulk.
I guess i phrased that badly. I mean that the people who chose him to direct Hulk obviously could not have seen Brokeback Mountain or Life of Pi. Lee won oscars for both of those films, but was not even nominated for Sense and Sensibility (although he did win plenty of other awards for directing it).

quote:

Was Ang Lee's Hulk really so derided at the time? I never saw it but I remember when it came out it got mixed reviews in the literal meaning, a lot of people praised it as better than most of the recent comic book movies while a lot disliked it, but I don't feel like it got critically savaged the way Terminator 3 did when it came out at the same time. I feel like it's only after the Nolan movies and the new Marvel continuity in particular that fans moved on to disavowing any comic movie that came before/outside of Official Marvel Continuity. But maybe that's just my selective memory.
I think people weren't ready for how goofy it was. Spider-man had just come out the year before, and X-Men 2 opened the month before. Those movies helped set the standard for comic-book adaptions. The "comic panels" thing didn't go over well, and the movie had a very inconsistent tone, between swinging tanks around like a cartoon and smoldering rage. Not everyone hated it, but I think even people who liked it had a hard time comparing it favorably to its peers.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Nick Nolte's monologue is loving amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

Nick Nolte's monologue is loving amazing.

Yeah, it's one of the best part of the movie in my memory. I don't think I've seen the whole thing since it came out.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's one of the best part of the movie in my memory. I don't think I've seen the whole thing since it came out.

I like it be cause it's like a stage play. Just two actors acting, no special soundtrack or fancy camera moves.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shanty posted:

The comic book framing stuff was pretty cool, as was the weird jellyfish dream desert.

People praise it, but I thought it was pretentious bullshit that didn't actually add anything to the film. Did the film really need to show multiple angles of a guy walking up to a door? X-men first class did something similar, but the comic book framing actually added something to the film, and was actually an interesting way to do a montage.

The flashbacks scenes were dumb, and incredibly unsubtle. Yes movie, we get that the hulk is the manifestation of Bruce Banner's suppressed rage, don't show the same scene over and over again.

The dog scene would have probably been ok if the movie was going for a campier tone, but it didn't work with the more surreal and cerebal tone the movie was going for.

Also, the CGI was really really bad even for its time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

I think people weren't ready for how goofy it was. Spider-man had just come out the year before, and X-Men 2 opened the month before. Those movies helped set the standard for comic-book adaptions. The "comic panels" thing didn't go over well, and the movie had a very inconsistent tone, between swinging tanks around like a cartoon and smoldering rage. Not everyone hated it, but I think even people who liked it had a hard time comparing it favorably to its peers.

There was also a serious mismatch between its marketing and the actual film. The marketing had kids playing with big Hulk Hand toys and punching plastic bricks, huge green slurpies with the Hulk on the glass, and badass rock music in the preview trailers. Then the movie was full of long, solemn scenes with super peaceful score and daddy angst. I saw it in theaters and saw like 3 families with 8-12 year old kids leave once the movie turned out to have absolutely nothing for a kid in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUPG-XyuT8

"Yeah! Let's go see a movie where an abusive father tries to murder a baby and instead stabs his wife in the heart!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

People praise it, but I thought it was pretentious bullshit that didn't actually add anything to the film. Did the film really need to show multiple angles of a guy walking up to a door? X-men first class did something similar, but the comic book framing actually added something to the film, and was actually an interesting way to do a montage.

The flashbacks scenes were dumb, and incredibly unsubtle. Yes movie, we get that the hulk is the manifestation of Bruce Banner's suppressed rage, don't show the same scene over and over again.

The dog scene would have probably been ok if the movie was going for a campier tone, but it didn't work with the more surreal and cerebal tone the movie was going for.

Also, the CGI was really really bad even for its time.

I agree with pretty much all of this. A few recent movies have done some comic panel style things and have pulled it off, but they did a lot more modern digital effects to make it look interesting and good. Hulk's editing was technically impressive, but took you out of the movie instead of helping tell the story.

I think there was a lot of confusion over who the target audience was for this film. Despite its themes, a lot of its storytelling seems like it's aimed at children.

The CGI is pretty bad. Lots of other films that came out the same year had much better CGI, even if that looks dated now. (Matrix: Revolutions, for example)

Lurdiak posted:

There was also a serious mismatch between its marketing and the actual film. The marketing had kids playing with big Hulk Hand toys and punching plastic bricks, huge green slurpies with the Hulk on the glass, and badass rock music in the preview trailers. Then the movie was full of long, solemn scenes with super peaceful score and daddy angst. I saw it in theaters and saw like 3 families with 8-12 year old kids leave once the movie turned out to have absolutely nothing for a kid in it.
Oh man, I forgot that that actually happened in the movie. It's like every Hulk movie is afraid to tell an actually complicated story because kids won't get it, but also wants to have all the hosed up angst and rage. They market it to children because it's a big green guy who smashes stuff. But the people who relate to it most adults with issues.

Every Hulk movie has "Derp military plot" but then serious adult issues thrown in. Hulk has domestic abuse and daddy issues, The Incredible Hulk has Banner unable to perform sexually, and The Avengers has him practically representing male violence towards women. You can't make movies about these things AND sell the big green fists that have been in stores for every Hulk film I can remember. They have to pick one.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah, Superman works as a power fantasy for children. The Hulk is the manifestation of out of control rage, something that is out right terrifying for a child to deal with in an adult or parent. It's explicitly not a healthy thing.

There are some subtle things in Hulk. Like Ross being a Captain supervising the project, then being shown later as a LT. Colonel with Vietnam service awards on his uniform. Also, then helicopters that bring Banner to the underground bunker are all Vietnam era, but the aircraft that fight him after he escapes as the Hulk are all advanced prototypes, like the Comanche helicopter and the F-22 Raptor.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The scene where Hulk breaks out of the desert base was one of the best action scenes that I had seen in a while although it is probably surpassed by recent Marvel stuff.

However, the final battle of the film was a loving mess. I still have no idea what is loving going on in that scene.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I really liked that Hulk grew in size the angrier he got. It reminded me of the Fist of the North Star books where a bad guy would vary wildly in size from panel to panel depending on how powerful the artist wanted them to appear.

I liked the whole movie in general, it's from that weird time when it was such a mindfuck that real decorated directors would make superhero movies. I was weirded out at first by the father issues in the movie because I had never perceived that as a part of the character, but it gave me back hobo Nick Nolte so I quickly learned to love it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah, Superman works as a power fantasy for children. The Hulk is the manifestation of out of control rage, something that is out right terrifying for a child to deal with in an adult or parent. It's explicitly not a healthy thing.

So many traumatic memories of playing superheroes on the playground, dreading when I would have to be Hulk because everyone else was already taken, my eight year old mind alight with the oedipal connections of pretending to be a big strong green man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, children don't care about that just like they don't care about the comments on colonialism in Tarzan, they just like to thump their chests and go Aaaargh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, children don't care about that just like they don't care about the comments on colonialism in Tarzan, they just like to thump their chests and go Aaaargh.

Yeah, but this only works because the movies aren't really about the themes of the Hulk, they are some derpy "the military is being cartoon villains again and the hulk has to smash stuff" this is why they always turn out boring as poo poo. A good Hulk movie would be more of a drama and more about adult issues, and would not be as marketable to kids. For example, look at the differences between the live action Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan: Lord of the Apes and recent animated Tarzan films. Now, Greystoke is not a masterpiece, but it's explicitly about how Tarzan doesn't belong in human society because he believes in compassion and righteousness, things that has no place in "civilization". Animated Tarzan is about how cool running through trees and saving nature is.

Hulk movies have been about how cool the Hulk smashing poo poo are, and how funny it is when people piss him off and have no idea what's coming.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
I saw it with my dad, who's the biggest Hulk fan I know. Of course, he likes the Hulk because HULK SMASH and that's all he wants out of it. I ended up enjoying the movie for the reasons that my dad didn't, though we both thought the comic paneling was dope as hell.

I can only hope the last sequence of the film came from someone happening to catch a rerun of the old Bixby/Ferrigno Hulk show on Telemundo, because that poo poo had me in stitches.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I enjoyed Banner's first transformation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I enjoyed Banner's first transformation.

I like Nick Nolte's reaction to it, because it's not what it looks like at first.

Snak posted:

Yeah, but this only works because the movies aren't really about the themes of the Hulk, they are some derpy "the military is being cartoon villains again and the hulk has to smash stuff" this is why they always turn out boring as poo poo. A good Hulk movie would be more of a drama and more about adult issues, and would not be as marketable to kids. For example, look at the differences between the live action Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan: Lord of the Apes and recent animated Tarzan films. Now, Greystoke is not a masterpiece, but it's explicitly about how Tarzan doesn't belong in human society because he believes in compassion and righteousness, things that has no place in "civilization". Animated Tarzan is about how cool running through trees and saving nature is.

Hulk movies have been about how cool the Hulk smashing poo poo are, and how funny it is when people piss him off and have no idea what's coming.

Or, they could try to make a Hulk movie that appeals to both children and adults, because this idea that the motherfucking Hulk of all fictional characters needs to be snatched out of children's hands so his full potential for intellectually satisfying (read: adult) entertainment can be fulfilled is kind of dumb.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If you take it that far, consider making a Jekyll/Hyde movie instead. Or just create a new IP that doesn't carry the weight of childhood comic book memories if the actual hulking out part is too dull. Even with adult-focused heavy emotional family beats, your script still has to be saddled with parts where he turns into a giant green monster and smash stuff by necessity - inherently childlike tantrums really.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good scenes, good rewatchability, good music, good cameos, and good length. Enjoyed the movie, figured all the hate was that it was the hulk or super old wizard magneto that pissed everyone off.

Favorite scene is where he is falling dreaming hes shaving his beard. He wipes the steam off the mirror to show the hulk and the hulk grabs him saying "puny human".

Lou Ferrigno, the actor who played the Hulk in the old tv show was the other security guard with Stan Lee.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 26, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I like Nick Nolte's reaction to it, because it's not what it looks like at first.

Or, they could try to make a Hulk movie that appeals to both children and adults, because this idea that the motherfucking Hulk of all fictional characters needs to be snatched out of children's hands so his full potential for intellectually satisfying (read: adult) entertainment can be fulfilled is kind of dumb.

Yeah, I said they have to pick one, between fun smashy poo poo or adult themes. They could make a fun smashy movie that appeals to adults and children alike, but so far they haven't tried. They are doing a pretty good job in Avengers, comparatively.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I think you could probably get a C or C+ on that intro film essay, OP, but your sentence structure and overall flow could use some work. good luck in class and with finals.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember feeling like the movie was taking way too long to get to the parts where Hulk smashes stuff, and then the first time he does it's... mutated poodles. I might be misremembering but I don't think anything cool happens for a while after that either. I didn't actually finish the movie though, so can't say if it pays off in the end.

• Locked thread