Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From left to right: Guy Montgomery, Tim Batt

How often would you watch your favorite movie ever made?

Five, six times? Maybe a dozen?

Would you watch it once a week, for a year? You wouldn't, right? Because even with the best movie ever made, such constant exposure would mean you'd eventually grow to hate it.

But what if it wasn't a good movie? What if it was a bad movie? What if it was a movie that got a 7% on rotten tomatoes, a movie that got nominated for eight Razzie awards? What sort of private hell would watching that movie once a week for a year be like?

Well, worry no more, because The Worst Idea of All Time now exists. Tim Batt and Guy Montgomery, two New Zealand-based comedians, decided to watch and review the movie Grown Ups 2 once a week, every week, for a year, and make a podcast immediately after each viewing. Each episode of the podcast is about half and hour long, and consists of Guy and Tim covering the film, attempting to analyze various portions of it, and slowly sink into a deep, dark depression over their own damned, quixotic crusade. It's simultaneously hilarious, illuminating, and incredibly horrifying as Tim and Guy move on from pointing out flaws in the film to talking about more and more esoteric portions of it and start coming up with more and more outlandish theories as to the themes and ideas behind the film- a film, they repeatedly note, that is a sequel to the film they've never seen. As the series continues, the podcasts turn weirder and weirder and more and more depressing as Tim and Guy stare further and further into the abyss.

Recurring segments including the "Shining Light", where Tim and Guy attempt to compliment one aspect of the film (as the podcast series continues this segment becomes more and more desperate as Tim and Guy try very hard to find anything complimentary about the film that they hadn't already listed, resorting to stuff like trivia that they've found out about Grown Ups 2, specific interpretations that they're clearly making up just to justify some aspect of the movie, and motivations of extras) theorizing how Steve Buscemi got roped into this piece of poo poo, and wondering why Chris Rock took this gig in the first place considering his complete lack of interest onscreen.

Each episode is only thirty minutes long, and the podcast is really breezy and fun: even ignore the schadenfreude of watching Tim and Guy descend further and further into madness, they have some awesome onscreen chemistry and seem to genuinely enjoy each other's company. The podcast is never really vitriolic despite both Tim and Guy's overt hatred of the film in question; it's mocking but never really toxic, which keeps it light.

Their first season ended a couple of months ago, having completed their run of 52 straight weeks of watching Grown Ups 2. Despite stringent, loud insistence that they'd cancel the podcast once they were done, a second season started immediately after, with them watching another film once a week for a year. Don't roll over the spoiler unless you want to know what it is: It's Sex and the City 2.

The best place to start is definitely with the first episode of season one, which you can listen to here. The podcast is also available on iTunes.

But yeah, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite podcasts, I really just like to listen to Tim and Guy shoot the poo poo and their increasing incredulity over how bad Grown Ups 2 is is always hilarious

the short runtimes for each episode makes it easy to listen to a bunch all in a row, plus when an episode is really really bad (like 29) it's super easy to skip without missing much

it's a hangout podcast combined with a bit of No Exit and How Did This Get Made? and I really like it, right now I'm up to episode 31 of season one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This sounds absolutely insane, going to give it a go.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

P-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-Patty Schwarz Party Time!

This is a great podcast.

https://twitter.com/PSchwarzenegger/status/568582877853585408

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The podcast is fantastic - I even gave it a brief writeup halfway through their Grown Ups 2 run. Sex and the City 2 is sounding much, much harder for them so far. A longer film that's aggressively dull instead of amusingly devoid of effort. I hope they manage to slog through though - I still haven't watched either of the films, and yet I feel I already know them intimately. They're taking a bullet for us all, in a sense - except the bullet is a hail of gatling fire.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man, they're doing another? What a terrible idea. They were wondering if Kevin James' son was a warlock like halfway through, how can they do this again for a year?

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 28, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished season one of the podcast, and now I'm listening to season 2

1) the final like, five episodes of season one are worth listening to the whole thing by themselves, they're loving incredible as Tim and Guy more and more steadily lose it, and their increasing hysteria over the fact that they've almost completed their task is hilarious

2) the completion of steve buscemi mystery tour is both hilarious and heartbreaking

3) when tim reads off his sex and the city/grown ups fanfiction it's loving hilarious, jesus loving christ

god i love this podcast

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I still haven't watched either of the films, and yet I feel I already know them intimately

honestly, i watched grown ups 2 (with their commentary obvs) yesterday and I highly recommend it, not because the movie is good- because lord loving knows it isn't, it's easily one of the worst viewing experiences I've had of a movie in recent memory - but tim and guy make it enjoyable and it's fun to have context for how awful season one must've been on them

like it's insane how badly paced that movie is, and their constant criticisms about how there aren't neat buttons on scenes so much as someone does some sort of physical gag which abruptly cuts to something else are like crazy true, grown ups 2 is like every single terrible SNL sketch that's ever existed on the show all mashed together into one movie

also the car wash scene is actually sorta funny, not for kevin james' reaction but because of how weird it is to see the lonely island guys, will forte, taran killam, and bobby moynihan just show up for a glorified cameo

why are they there? what is the point? what the hell?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honest question: Should I watch Grown Ups 2 before starting this podcast, or go in completely cold? Both approaches are equally tempting.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's not necessary because they don't really talk about the movie all that much but sitting through it once will give you a much better appreciation of how insane it is to sit through that pile of poo poo once a week.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Watch it when they get to the commentary they record; it's fantastic. My favorite part is how Patrick Schwarzenegger has a teeny tiny part in the film

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honest question: Should I watch Grown Ups 2 before starting this podcast, or go in completely cold? Both approaches are equally tempting.

Go in cold, then when you get to the commentary podcast watch the movie with the commentary running

Ed: you should also do this because for all you know you might hate the podcast and believe me, you do NOT want to watch grown ups 2 for no reason

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Sex and the City 2 is sounding much, much harder for them so far. A longer film that's aggressively dull instead of amusingly devoid of effort.

Oh dude, I knew you hadn't seen SATC 2 just by this line.
It's not dull, it's horrific. It's racist, sexist, deeply culturally insensitive, and downright insane. It takes place in the middle east.
I watched it as a joke with some friends and it took 4 hours and half a bottle of whiskey to get through. We had to take breaks. We were screaming at the things we saw. The horrors.

Grown Ups 2 might be bad but Sex And The City 2 is brutal and offensive in nearly every way. It is difficult to watch even once.
These guys are going to go mad.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't think Grown Ups 2 even qualifies as 'amusingly devoid of effort', either. It's painfully boring.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm getting caught up on this podcast. It's a really good podcast.

You can really see their skills with comedy grow and evolve when you listen to them in rapid succession.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Part of the fun for me was the second hand purple monkey dishwasher effect of hearing them describe this bizarre movie. The moment that hooked me into the podcast was the third episode or so where one of them just casually mentions a shot of a dog drinking a beer bong. I eventually did watch it when I got to the commentary track episode.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
I'm watching the movie. It's making me so angry. There are entire scenes where nothing happens. It's just these four shitheads going to fancy places and talking about how fancy everything is. Somehow Carrie changes her outfit either on the plane or on the way to the hotel? Then there's like five minutes of them just walking around their ludicrous suite and ogling at it.

There's a Jude Law joke that I didn't understand but I just chalked it up to awkward editing. Then it's referenced again in a later scene and I still didn't get it.

And Coffee Guy is amazing. He powers that poo poo down so much faster than I thought and then RUNS out the door. It's great.

I can't sit still.

Edit: oh gently caress there's still 24 minutes left.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Kneecaps posted:

I'm watching the movie. It's making me so angry. There are entire scenes where nothing happens. It's just these four shitheads going to fancy places and talking about how fancy everything is. Somehow Carrie changes her outfit either on the plane or on the way to the hotel? Then there's like five minutes of them just walking around their ludicrous suite and ogling at it.

There's a Jude Law joke that I didn't understand but I just chalked it up to awkward editing. Then it's referenced again in a later scene and I still didn't get it.

And Coffee Guy is amazing. He powers that poo poo down so much faster than I thought and then RUNS out the door. It's great.

I can't sit still.

Edit: oh gently caress there's still 24 minutes left.

I watched it too. It suuucked. Worst of all, I never saw Coffee Guy - is there a GIF or something of him someplace? I'm sort of proud I never watch Grown Ups 2, but there is definite value in watching the film to get a better idea of how these characters fit in - Brady the Rat King for example is such a minor character, I like how he's becoming a power player as the series progresses.

I think the Paul F Tompkins episodes have been the best yet, at least for SATC2. Excellent chemistry.

Also - I designed Tim and Guys Paddy Tattoos.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 2, 2015

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

spanky the dolphin posted:

I watched it too. It suuucked. Worst of all, I never saw Coffee Guy - is there a GIF or something of him someplace? I'm sort of proud I never watch Grown Ups 2, but there is definite value in watching the film to get a better idea of how these characters fit in - Brady the Rat King for example is such a minor character, I like how he's becoming a power player as the series progresses.

I think the Paul F Tompkins episodes have been the best yet, at least for SATC2. Excellent chemistry.

Also - I designed Tim and Guys Paddy Tattoos.

Tim retweeted one a month or two ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you missed the coffee guy, then you need to go back and watch the film again, from beginning to end, and keep doing that until you do see him.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
Coffee guy GIF. I believe this is in real-time. I've already removed that movie from my life, so I can't confirm.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I love them talking about Hollywood accounting and how it's possible this thing cost 80 million. I've heard about it before but would love something more in depth.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Kneecaps posted:

Coffee guy GIF. I believe this is in real-time. I've already removed that movie from my life, so I can't confirm.

What's he doing? Where's he off to?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The scat singing ramping up and spilling over into a jumble of semi-connected questions is probably my favourite part of any episode. Even PFT got in on it!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
the Jude Law joke: http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/i-cheated-on-sienna-jude/2005/07/18/1121538900923.html

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm so loving hyped for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEpKKU1pYV0

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If you don't listen to My Brother My Brother and Me, they elaborated on the whole "end of linear time" thing. All five people involved in the podcast have sworn that not only will they watch Paul Blart 2 (B2 for those in the know) every year for the rest of their lives, but whenever one of them dies they will get a replacement.

Was B2 ever in theaters or did they just poop it straight onto the little DVD rack by the checkout aisle?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ariong posted:

If you don't listen to My Brother My Brother and Me, they elaborated on the whole "end of linear time" thing. All five people involved in the podcast have sworn that not only will they watch Paul Blart 2 (B2 for those in the know) every year for the rest of their lives, but whenever one of them dies they will get a replacement.

Was B2 ever in theaters or did they just poop it straight onto the little DVD rack by the checkout aisle?

Yes, it was out in theaters.

It actually came out on my birthday, and frankly this year has been awful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's fun to imagine is that if they actually commit to the whole "forever" gimmick, 200 years from now on a remote space station Guy Montgomery V will call up Justin McElbot (Justin will, of course, have transferred his consciousness into an android back during the First Great Water War) to record a "podcast" on their "microphones"

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Jimmy Pardo said Paul Blart 2 was good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

What's fun to imagine is that if they actually commit to the whole "forever" gimmick, 200 years from now on a remote space station Guy Montgomery V will call up Justin McElbot (Justin will, of course, have transferred his consciousness into an android back during the First Great Water War) to record a "podcast" on their "microphones"

It's the true horror of the "we have to replace those that die" rule, that those replacements are themselves marked with the CURSE, so the entire original cast can die and humanity will trapped with an annual viewing and analysis of Paul Blart 2 until the end of loving time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So after I saw the Paul Blart 2 teaser I remembered this podcast must be well into crazytown with Sex and the City 2, and started relistening to the first few episodes while I fell asleep. Hours later, I wake up after I dreamt of a Transporter-esque scenario where the driver does freelance work for criminals. His over-reliance on caffeine to keep his senses sharp leads to him developing a split personality, Coffee Man, who acted a bit like Jim Carrey at his most manic. It began to affect his job. I woke up, reeling from such an odd dream, and suddenly I hear them going over a Coffee Man scenario. Not that one, though, one totally different. Soon I realize they've done a ton of these loving bits, and I have no idea if my unconscious ripped off the podcast or if it took "Coffee Man" and just ran with it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love how upset one McElroy (Griffin?) immediately gets over his brothers and Guy not immediately despising it. Tim's also right, that's a good starting point to build on.

Also everyone's disgust at Travis laughing at it.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rodyle posted:

I love how upset one McElroy (Griffin?) immediately gets over his brothers and Guy not immediately despising it. Tim's also right, that's a good starting point to build on.

Also everyone's disgust at Travis laughing at it.

Yeah that was Griffin who got all pissed off right at the start.

I love how Tim and Guy both went easy on the film because they don't have to watch it again next week.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This exceeded my (very high) expectations

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I regret watching Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Were the sections that Travis laughed at Actually Funny or was Travis being a loon

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Toxxupation posted:

Were the sections that Travis laughed at Actually Funny or was Travis being a loon

I laughed at the one where he slammed his hand on the table and his plate jumped. Then again, I'm a toddler entertained by loud noises. I don't remember the others, so probably not.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

User-Friendly posted:

I regret watching Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

So would you recommend watching it before listening or no?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Scudworth posted:

So would you recommend watching it before listening or no?

I wish I hadn't. Eventually in TWIoAT season 1, Grown-Ups 2 took on this weird dreamlike place in my mind only knowing its plots secondhand. Knowing the scenes and characters they're talking about makes it feel a lot less magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

They're live streaming a Sex & the City 2 live commentary now if anyone is awake / interested.

• Locked thread