Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I work retail as an assistant manager, and work with many minimum wage people. I don't know the whole story of these people I work with, but I do get certain glimpses into their lives when I talk to them. Things that are common among adult minimum wage workers:

1. Fat / lazy - Going home after a day of work and drinking a little bit of alcohol while watching TV for the rest of the day is a cheap way to live and how these people live.

2. Uneducated immature assholes - People with street smarts who think they are the poo poo, but actually suck, and just keep bouncing from job to job and often times are able to live by mooching off their girlfriends.

3. Personality problems - These people grew up in a bad/hostile home, always have some sort of drama going on at home, and have no motivation to climb the corporate ladder. They get by having poo poo load of debt for rest of their lives.

4. Uneducated single mothers - They fall in love and have children then end up single for one reason or another. They live through alimony and child support, but barely. Often times fathers are poo poo heads and don't pay up, and the mothers end up in debt. Sadly they end up repeating their mistakes by having children from more assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Liquid Communism posted:

Slightly more effort, but still not quite there. Try a little harder, I'm so close...

Hmm yes everything I disagree with is someone trolling me

ijii hit the nail right on the head

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

goodness posted:

Hmm yes everything I disagree with is someone trolling me

ijii hit the nail right on the head

No, it's just that your statement is factually false.

College isn't free. The Pell grant pays out a maximum total of $5730 a year right now, with the actual award scaling on financial need. Here are the actual disbursement rates. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees at a state school for the 2014-15 school year was $9,139.

This is, of course, not taking into account room and board, or any of the other costs associated with full-time schooling. But no, keep on about how everyone should just bootstrap up and magically make do with your anecdotal bullshit. :allears:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
When I worked for minimum wage was the worst time in my life. I had TONS of issues and hadn't yet gotten my poo poo together. Lucky me I was young enough to be able to fall back on my parents for a place to stay for a few years, which alleviated much of my financial burdens, and allowed me the time to learn from my mistakes and put my life back on track. Many people don't have those sorts of advantages, they don't qualify for grants for one reason or another. Many people have other obligations and cannot attend college full time, and get stuck working lovely jobs while taking what classes they can afford, or while looking for other employment. making GBS threads all over them doesn't do anybody any good.

Oh, and clawing your way up to assistant manager over the other minimum wage peons doesn't make you a better person than them, Vice President of Turd Mountain, why don't you apply yourself and get a real job SEE HOW DOES THAT FEEL

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ijii posted:

I work retail as an assistant manager, and work with many minimum wage people. I don't know the whole story of these people I work with, but I do get certain glimpses into their lives when I talk to them. Things that are common among adult minimum wage workers:

1. Fat / lazy - Going home after a day of work and drinking a little bit of alcohol while watching TV for the rest of the day is a cheap way to live and how these people live.

2. Uneducated immature assholes - People with street smarts who think they are the poo poo, but actually suck, and just keep bouncing from job to job and often times are able to live by mooching off their girlfriends.

3. Personality problems - These people grew up in a bad/hostile home, always have some sort of drama going on at home, and have no motivation to climb the corporate ladder. They get by having poo poo load of debt for rest of their lives.

4. Uneducated single mothers - They fall in love and have children then end up single for one reason or another. They live through alimony and child support, but barely. Often times fathers are poo poo heads and don't pay up, and the mothers end up in debt. Sadly they end up repeating their mistakes by having children from more assholes.

So as an 'assistant manager,' which one of these are you?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Liquid Communism posted:

No, it's just that your statement is factually false.

College isn't free. The Pell grant pays out a maximum total of $5730 a year right now, with the actual award scaling on financial need. Here are the actual disbursement rates. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees at a state school for the 2014-15 school year was $9,139.

This is, of course, not taking into account room and board, or any of the other costs associated with full-time schooling. But no, keep on about how everyone should just bootstrap up and magically make do with your anecdotal bullshit. :allears:

Sorry you are wrong. I literally just got my pell grant of 5k for this past year, went to a university with instate tuition, and the grant easily covered all my classes and books for 16 hours.. The avg. cost might be 9k if you don't know how to manage money. Also, working a min wage job during this time adds plenty of extra $ to pay for rent and other things (like almost everyone who goes to college does). It's easier to just think of college as an impassable barrier to al but the upper class though.

Also, if taking an extra FAFSA loan is what prevents someone from going to college then you can't really help those people. Enjoy being in more debt from staying at the min wage.

Ultimately I didn't even need the degree though which is a little frustrating. Got a job in a completely different career path where I get to do what I love and help others.

goodness fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 3, 2015

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I somehow lucked into a $20/hr. job right out of highschool but the vast majority of my friends have multiple degrees, tons of debt and 8-15/hr. jobs. They have no real way of digging themselves out but I also don't have many options for advancement.

Even my very, very skilled coworkers are having extreme difficulty getting decent - paying jobs at other places.
The only two people I know who are making 60k+ a year, one got it through nepotism and the other worked minimum wage until they were poached by her former boss (she's brilliant but it was also a lot of luck).

I mean this is all anecdotal but this certainly depends on what you get your degree in

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fascinating thread.

Today I went for lunch with my girlfriend at a common chain pub in the UK. I myself work in an office job which I basically got through nepotism (my aunt is the office manager, I was employed temporarily to cover maternity leave and the lady decided she'd rather have more kids than work) and my girlfriend is the assistant manager in a charity shop, a position she got by starting out as a volunteer and applying for the managers position when it came up. My girlfriend is a high school drop-out and while I went to University I only did one year of business management before realising it wasn't for me.

There was a new waiter serving the food today, a guy who coincidentally also used to volunteer in the charity shop my girlfriend works at, I met the guy in a pub once and he was being very dismissive of the University I and another person at the pub that night had attended while simultaneously praising his choice of University. I believe his choice of words were "you'll only get a mickey mouse degree from university X while university Y has many distinctions and awards".

Needless to say I couldn't help but smirk to myself as he brought our plates over, I hope your expensive degree and cock-sure attitude are calming thoughts when you are rushing around serving fat customers curries and ciders for £6.50 an hour
Sucka!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

Fascinating thread.

Today I went for lunch with my girlfriend at a common chain pub in the UK. I myself work in an office job which I basically got through nepotism (my aunt is the office manager) and my girlfriend is the assistant manager in a charity shop, a position she got by starting out as a volunteer and applying for the managers position when it came up. My girlfriend is a high school drop-out and while I went to University I only did one year of business management before realising it wasn't for me.

There was a new waiter serving the food today, a guy who coincidentally also used to volunteer in the charity shop my girlfriend works at, I met the guy in a pub once and he was being very dismissive of the University I and another person at the pub that night had attended while simultaneously praising his choice of University. I believe his choice of words were "you'll only get a mickey mouse degree from university X while university Y has many distinctions and awards".

Needless to say I couldn't help but smirk to myself as he brought our plates over, I hope your expensive degree and cock-sure attitude are calming thoughts when you are rushing around serving fat customers curries and ciders for £6.50 an hour
Sucka!

What's the living like over there with minimum wage do you think? In the US as long as you don't have a kid all you need is a little over min wage to be comfortable, especially with all the benefits and free money the government will throw at you.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goodness posted:

What's the living like over there with minimum wage do you think? In the US as long as you don't have a kid all you need is a little over min wage to be comfortable, especially with all the benefits and free money the government will throw at you.

To be honest it doesn't sound that bad!

I earn £7.90 an hour and the minimum wage is £6.50, now I can't speak for people who don't get consistent hours but I get 40 hours every week. If I was on minimum wage I'd be on 1040 or roughly about £220 a month less than I am.

I don't think we'd struggle, for a time my girlfriend was out of work and I still managed to overpay my mortgage, run a car and still do the thing I consider disposable entertainment (I have a golf membership and a season ticket to a football club). Sure I don't save any money other than for a holiday once a year but we do like to eat at restaurants twice a month and go out to the pub and other normal stuff.

We are talking about having a kid and buying a bigger house in the next few years, it'll be more of a struggle for sure, I think the golf membership might be disappearing! but I don't think it'll automatically mean we eat rice and beans 5 times a week.

I can't speak for the benefit system, I myself have never benefited from it. Even when my girlfriend was put out of work she didn't get any money from the government since she hadn't paid into national insurance for long enough. She earns roughly half of what I do now and other than not really saving for the future we are pretty comfortable.

I do have 2 friends who live a good 60 miles away now, I don't think either one has worked a full time job for more than a month. The girl is currently at university and has zero income, the guy has a changeable shift based job which can go from 8 hours one week to 40 the next. I don't know what assistance they get from the government but I know they haven't starved to death!

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
Some places either have few job opportunities, or there's a huge amount of competition and you have to take what you can get. I know several people with bachelor's and master's degrees who weren't able to find a job in their field and ended up having to work retail to survive. after a few years of not being able to find something, your skill set becomes out of date and they essentially need to go back to school, but guess what, they're already in thousands of dollars of debt from the first time around at college, so they can't afford to. Therefore they become stuck.

You should be thankful you're not in that position OP, many, many people are not that lucky.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

What imaginary Republican circlejerk world do you live in?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

To be honest it doesn't sound that bad!

I earn £7.90 an hour and the minimum wage is £6.50, now I can't speak for people who don't get consistent hours but I get 40 hours every week. If I was on minimum wage I'd be on 1040 or roughly about £220 a month less than I am.

I don't think we'd struggle, for a time my girlfriend was out of work and I still managed to overpay my mortgage, run a car and still do the thing I consider disposable entertainment (I have a golf membership and a season ticket to a football club). Sure I don't save any money other than for a holiday once a year but we do like to eat at restaurants twice a month and go out to the pub and other normal stuff.
[...]
I can't speak for the benefit system, I myself have never benefited from it.

:psyduck: where the hell do you live that you can support 2 people, a mortgage and a car and do all that stuff without support on ~£1200? You saved your deposit by yourself?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I live in rural Scotland and no I didn't save up for the deposit myself my mum helped me with half of the £9000 I needed

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm curious how people can work minimum wage and even survive. Minimum wage here is 11/hr, after taxes that's 1600 a month if you are being generous. Assuming full time work which most minimum wage jobs here don't offer. Rent is average 1000 a month for a bachelors. After paying for food and necessities that certainly doesn't leave much of anything to live on.

By the way, I know upwards of 20 people who have university degrees that are still working minimum wage jobs. And they aren't fat/lazy, drug addicted or single mothers. They're young people putting in a sincere effort to find a career, with degrees ranging from business to accounting to engineering.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Minimum wage here in Indianapolis, Indiana is $7.25. Chances are, if you're working for minimum wage, you work in retail or at a restaurant of some kind. From my own experience, and that of my friends and family, you probably get about 32 hours per week if you're working somewhere that they don't expect you to treat the place like a second job. After taxes come out, you're making less than $400 every two weeks on your paycheck. But let's be kind and say you're pulling in $800 a month. Average rent for a one bedroom apartment is $620. So clearly you can't afford to live on your own. A two bedroom which you can split with a roommate is $752. At that point, after paying your share of the rent and utilities, you've got a few hundred bucks per month to live on. Public transportation in this city is garbage, so if you work more than a few miles from home, you're gonna need a car. Insurance and gasoline will eat up at least $150 a month.

So now you've got about $150 left per month to buy food and do whatever it is that you do in order to keep yourself sane from time to time while living in this dead end lifestyle. If you lose some hours at work you are hosed, and will spend months trying to recover from late payments and what have you, just to climb back up to zero. If your car breaks down, you are hosed. If you make a poor financial decision, you are hosed. If your roommate falls behind on the bills, you're hosed. The only thing at this point that will keep you afloat is the generosity of your family, and it's probably a pretty good idea to look into food stamps and other government programs. All of this while you try to better yourself through education, advancement in the workplace, or seeking a better job elsewhere, is what I like to think of as stressful.

Anybody who wants to run their mouths and poo poo all over people living like this, even temporarily, is a loving stupid rear end in a top hat. Society would benefit greatly from enhancing the ability of minimum wage earners to better themselves, not only so that they won't have to live in poverty, but because when they make more money, they spend more money, they pay more taxes, and when they earn degrees or learn skilled trades, they apply them to their careers, and on up they go. Increasing minimum wage would be a great way to help people like this NOW. Is it a bandaid solution? Yes, but it's the best practical solution we've got right now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

A place where I didn't get an art degree and then complain about not getting a job.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

goodness posted:

Yeah if you live in a shithole Republican rural town, maybe you can get by on minimum wage.

This reeks of "How much can a banana possibly cost? $10?"

*is dumb as hell*

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

Yeah if you live in a shithole Republican rural town, maybe you can get by on minimum wage.

This reeks of "How much can a banana possibly cost? $10?"

*is dumb as hell*

Yeah I live in a pretty big city so you can keep talking out of your rear end. I'm sure whining about not getting a better job really helps get a better job.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
McDonalds could easily afford to pay more. It has many costs that pose issues - the corporation cuts a very big piece of the pie from franchisees. That isn't to say they would willingly pay more (I worked for one who denied over 75% of staff a nickel - yes, .05, because he didn't rate them as good). I may have an old P&L lying around I may post. Hmmmm.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanatosian posted:

Have you read the rest of his posts? He's just trolling poorly.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

goodness posted:

Yeah I live in a pretty big city so you can keep talking out of your rear end. I'm sure whining about not getting a better job really helps get a better job.

:allears:

hmm ya its super easy to live in <insert "pretty big city"> on $7.25/hr, It Is You who asserts otherwise that is talking out of your rear end

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Haha, remember when McDonalds posted an example budget to show how easy it is to earn a living working at McDonalds? If I remember right, it included working full time plus a second job for 30 hours a week, and included zero food costs, healthcare costs, or savings. But those subhuman drones don't deserve to live, they just don't try hard enough, right guys? Right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

:allears:

hmm ya its super easy to live in <insert "pretty big city"> on $7.25/hr, It Is You who asserts otherwise that is talking out of your rear end

Not if you have a kid, live in NYC/california, have an art degree, etc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

goodness posted:

Not if you have a kid, live in NYC/california, have an art degree, etc.

You're the dumbest person on this website.

And we have the crackhead clubhouse to compare you to.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

You're the dumbest person on this website.

And we have the crackhead clubhouse to compare you to.

If you think everyone is 100% serious on this website then you are dumb. Obviously minimum wage blows and nobody can live that satisfying a life on it unless you want to never have kids or travel. How do we solve the min. Wage problem, I have no idea. But I do know that I made a plan and worked to get to where I am not making minimum wage. There are a lot of people stuck at min wage because of unfortunate circumstances. And then there are also a ton of lazy people on it as well that don't care their life blows. We need more opportunity for the people that do care.

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 4, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

High Lord Elbow posted:

The minimum wage is arbitrary anyway. Jobs pay for the value they create. A job that is forced to pay more ceases to be viable and is eliminated.

When you raise the minimum wage, all you're really doing is setting a new arbitrary number to represent the economic base unit, which is an hour of unskilled labor. Then after much hurt and maybe some inflation, you end up right where you started, with democrats buying votes from economic illiterates by raising prices and incentivizing businesses to eliminate jobs.

It's almost like there would be historical data showing a relationship directly tying raises in the MW to all that "feeding the plebs is a moral hazard" poo poo you just wrote but there isn't.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

goodness posted:

If you think everyone is 100% serious on this website then you are dumb. Obviously minimum wage blows and nobody can live that satisfying a life on it unless you want to never have kids or travel. How do we solve the min. Wage problem, I have no idea. But I do know that I made a plan and worked to get to where I am not making minimum wage. There are a lot of people stuck at min wage because of unfortunate circumstances. And then there are also a ton of lazy people on it as well that don't care their life blows. We need more opportunity for the people that do care.

You stopped trolling and still implied that the lazy people that don't care about their life still don't deserve a living wage.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

goodness posted:

I nearly went into the military to get out of my situation, and even after deciding against it, I am still signing away 10 months of my life to doing lovely hard work, so I can get my degree even started. It's loving hard and it sucks, and yeah some people can get out of it, but I've been out of highschool for 2 years, and yeah one year of it was spent with the idea of military driving me, but the whole other year was just me working a poo poo job and trying to get out of being stuck in it.

It's demoralizing, working a wage that you can barely survive at without help, having all these options people suggest for how you can get out of it and having it one by one fail. So yeah, I can agree that we do need more opportunity. But I don't think everyone is lazy for not finding the ones we have. There's just such a thing as giving up hope after stuff shits on you for too long, and it sucks rear end. If Fresh and Easy hadn't, ya know, closed the store I worked in, I probably would have just stopped looking, would have just given up my hope until I was in my late 20s early 30s.

Because when I was barely surviving on that - and when I was sorta barely surviving at Applebees, I didn't think about how I was barely surviving. I went home and I stared at the computer screen or the TV because otherwise everything about the world was a crushing monster that wanted to keep me down. It was easier to just distract myself from it than to look for ways out of it and get my hopes up again.

So I guess that's part of it. People who work minimum wage get 'lazy' and 'complacent' as you guys claim because trying to get out of it is soulcrushing sometimes. It's very easy to get to the point where you go 'why should I try, if it hasn't worked the last 20 times, what will make this one different?' Yeah you or I or anyone can say 'well you just have to keep trying, and dig your way out of it', but eventually you feel like you're out of options, or the ones you have aren't worth pursuing. And that's a terrible place to be - but you should, at least, be able to survive if you do get stuck in that place.

I lived at home while I worked at Applebees so that was easier - I had to pay for rent and my own groceries, but if I couldn't afford poo poo, my mom would help me out. Then I moved out after getting a job at Fresh and Easy. I ate one and a half meals a day every day of the week - a single yogurt cup with a glass of milk for breakfast [half a meal] and then a dinner of usually whatever was on sale and frozen. Sometimes my boss let me take home meat that was about to expire, which was cool, but that wasn't something I could afford to 'buy'. I was unhealthy as gently caress when the store suddenly closed [okay, not that suddenly] and I moved back home. Someone who works a job, any job, full time, should be able to afford to feed themselves three times a day and put a roof over their head, and hey, even pay insurance. At the very bare minimum. It wasn't about not having kids or not traveling,

And in some places, this is possible with the federal minimum wage, or at least people claim it is.. In others - aka nearly every city or very large town? This is not very possible in the least. And that is Very Bad.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

MoosetheMooche posted:

Haha, remember when McDonalds posted an example budget to show how easy it is to earn a living working at McDonalds? If I remember right, it included working full time plus a second job for 30 hours a week, and included zero food costs, healthcare costs, or savings. But those subhuman drones don't deserve to live, they just don't try hard enough, right guys? Right?

I think it also included things like selling Christmas presents to get by.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Veskit posted:

You stopped trolling and still implied that the lazy people that don't care about their life still don't deserve a living wage.

So you think that someone who does not want to work or contribute should get a living wage regardless?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

goodness posted:

So you think that someone who does not want to work or contribute should get a living wage regardless?

Yes

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Too many communists in this thread. What do you mean, all people deserve to live? drat radicals.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

this_is_hard posted:

So as an 'assistant manager,' which one of these are you?
3. Personality Problems. That's not to say I grew up in a hostile or bad household, but I grew up moving too much. Never got know any friends for more than a couple years. Moving one last time at the start of my Junior year in highschool, I pretty much said gently caress it and became a grouchy house rat, even after I got my own place.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

goodness posted:

You can still be lazy and not give a gently caress about your life and still work. That happens to a lot of people, and the person who wants to work at a 7-11 gas station, put his 40 in and go home deserves a living wage.

A wage implies work doofusbrain. Welfare isn't a wage. Plus nobody wants to work that's why it's work.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
I want to know what 4 year state college Goodness goes to where 2700 a semester can pay for books and 16 hours of tuition

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Veskit posted:

You can still be lazy and not give a gently caress about your life and still work. That happens to a lot of people, and the person who wants to work at a 7-11 gas station, put his 40 in and go home deserves a living wage.

A wage implies work doofusbrain. Welfare isn't a wage. Plus nobody wants to work that's why it's work.

I am not talking about those people. When I said people that don't want to work and don't, i meant that literally. Someone that works 40 hours should be able to live on that. People that don't work at all because they rely on others to enable them is who I am talking about. (Wage was the wrong term since that comes from work my bad)

Nobody wants to work? LOL I love my job and would rather do it the rest of my life then not do anything. People get stuck in jobs that don't make them happy because they are just going along with their parents, society's plan or just can't get a livable wage in what they are interested in.

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 4, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DismemberedLemon posted:

I want to know what 4 year state college Goodness goes to where 2700 a semester can pay for books and 16 hours of tuition

Probably quite a few if you're loving the financial aid dept heads.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

goodness posted:

I am not talking about those people. When I said people that don't want to work and don't, i meant that literally. Someone that works 40 hours should be able to live on that. People that don't work at all because they rely on others to enable them is who I am talking about. (Wage was the wrong term since that comes from work my bad)

Nobody wants to work? LOL I love my job and would rather do it the rest of my life then not do anything. People get stuck in jobs that don't make them happy because they are just going along with their parents, society's plan or just can't get a livable wage in what they are interested in.

So the people you're talking about are the ones who don't want to work and those people should.... not have housing or money and should die or something? They shouldn't receive a livable stipend or housing or anything?

:bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Veskit posted:

If you want to be lazy and not give a gently caress about your life and work, punch 40 hours at the 7-Eleven and go home, then you deserve minimum wage. As noted by others, minimum wage will get you half of a two bedroom apartment, food, and a bus pass. I'm fine with that if that's all you want. It frustrates me when it's like "BUT HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO HAVE TWO KIDS AND RAISE A FAMILY ON MINIMUM WAGE?!?". Well, you're not. You want to have kids and a 3br apartment and a car and go out to dinner on Friday nights, get a skill and make more than minimum wage. Minimum wage is for getting by on. So get on with your bad self and live like that for all I care.

• Locked thread