Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea remains silent as the four of them carefully lower the coffin into the ground. It wasn't heavy since it only contained what remained of their father's bones, but nonetheless she felt like she had to grip the rope tightly. Soon the coffin was in place and they started filling the deep grave up with dirt, then a gravestone was placed to mark where he was buried and then it was done. She hoped that the bare earth would soon be covered in grass so that his body had a warm blanket to rest under while his spirit was free to travel the afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius helps to dig the hole, but as the others lower the coffin into the hole, Alonsius does his best performing the various ritual protections needed over the dead. Alonsius doesn't know if the Lich King could seize control of this twisted pile of bones, but he wasn't going to leave it to chance.

Rituals! (Void secrets +int): 1d20+11 23

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

By the time Alonsius has finished the various protection rituals over the grave, it is night. The others sit quietly and watch as the occultist performs his work.

"In the morning I'll contact a priest in one of the local towns, someone discrete, and get them to come by. Please don't think I underestimate your powers, Master Alonsius, but I think we can all agree that the very very last thing we need is to be seeing anymore of what your father became. The Lich King's powers are weaker in this part of the world, but who knows what the future holds."

As it grows darker and the stars come out there is a sudden beam of light that aligns on the top of the rocky outcrop. One by one, all three of you go over, but none of you can work out exactly where the light is coming from, what it is, or if it useful in any way.

---

The next morning, Simon appears at the house as you eat breakfast. Castor welcomes him to the manor and brings him to the table, placing a cup of black coffee in front of him as he takes a seat.

"Good morning," he says with a sneer that seems a permanent feature of his lips. He reaches into his briefcase and slides a series of documents across the table. You look through, but they are all written in legal shorthand. "Here are the papers confirming the three of you as guardians of Ostraberg. Now, as oldest, Alonsius your name will be the one which appears as the official Lord of Ostraberg, but your father made it clear that this would be for convenience only. All three of you will be responsible and split the duties and benefits equally. Speaking of which, there is a line of credit in your names extended from the bank in Foreter's Rest. If you require liquid assets at any point, you can provide a note of authentication from the bank, or travel to the bank and withdraw some gold. I know that there is probably a temptation to take as much money out as you can, but I urge you to be sensible in your spending. At regular intervals the funds will grow as a result of some investments your father made in trade routes, and interest etc. You also receive a salary of sorts in the form of a cut from taxes and this will be automatically credited to the account every few months. There are also responsibilities, but for the meantime it seems that the villages and towns are looking after themselves. Your father very rarely got involved, even when asked directly, so it seems that the people of Ostraberg have become somewhat self reliant in the last generation. So, how are you finding the house? Any plans for today?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

It doesn't take long before there's a marmalade stain on Astraea's document. "Guardian of Ostraberg? Yeah I like the sound of that. We probably don't need to get involved in the business of the villages if they're doing fine but we can't just let outlaws attack the weak on the roads, we should make sure to visit each town and village to get a feel for what's going on in the lives of those we need to protect. Now that we're official I bet we can accomplish a lot of good around here and I think we should be more hands on than father was. First up, Walkern! We've got some other business there anyway so it seems like a great place to start. Don't you agree your Lordship?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius attacks a small pile of bacon and eggs.
"A good plan, My Lady. But if she pleases, I might suggest being efficient about this. A grand tour of the estate, visiting each town in turn. We can start with Brendal then, instead of waste time with long cart rides.

I hope, Mr. Westfield, that our allowance may cover at least a stay in various inns? I don't think it would do for us to sleep in stables."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"A splendid idea my Lord! I was merely under the impression that a certain someone was eager to expand his library, but if that's not a priority then off to Brendel we shall. Castor, be a dear and pack our bags, we shall be off on a grand journey!" Astraea giggles a bit. "No seriously, that does sound like a good idea. Seb, you in?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"A tour, of all the drinking establishments in the county? You don't have to ask me twice. Oh yeah, and we can check on the well-being of the towns too, I suppose. A win for everyone. We should probably let Castor know about the uninvited guests in the basement, though." Sebastian turns to Castor. "It appears we have several kobolds and goblins living in the basement of the house. Maybe we should hire some guards for the house while we're away?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

"On the occasional incidents where your father did leave the manor, there were some men from the local villages whom he paid to look after the grounds. These men were not highly trained, but their presence did deter would-be thieves and the like. I will make sure that they arrive shortly after we leave." Castor makes a brief note on a piece of paper with a pencil tucked behind his ear. He then stands and walks over to the wall where a map of the local area is pinned within a frame. His fingers trace a line from town to town. "We can start in Brendal, as you suggest, from there travel up to Northbrace, then around to Walkern. Then we can cross back via the house and stay here a night to recover or perhaps tend to some other business, then forge on towards Stiltshire, then Forester's Rest, and finally loop around to Greenkeep and home again! They are the six major stops I would suggest, there are of course smaller hamlets and villages, but those six are the big ones to hit in my opinion."

One of Simon's long, thin eyebrows climbs skyward.

"Kobolds? Goblins? In the basement? I suggest that you send for the services of some exterminators as soon as possible. Having vermin, whether rats and roaches or kobolds and goblins, is likely to severely lower the asking price of the house. Your allowance will easily cover such a duty as well as staying at the various inns your mention. That said... well... whilst I think the idea of more visible faces from the rulers of Ostraberg is undoubtedly a fine thing, I'm not entirely sure that it is proper to dress yourselves up and.. tour the area like circus folk."

Castor rolls his eyes.

"If you wish for me to come with you, I can. On the other hand I would happily stay here and look after the house whilst you are gone. It would save money on guards, and that way I could always sends messengers to fetch you if anything important happens. On the other hand it might be nice for you to have a guide through Ostraberg, but I have no doubt you would be able to find someone in Brendal if you were to offer a little coin. Think about it. I will prep horses and be waiting by the stables in an hour."

Simon seems to realise that his business is concluded and shuffles away, clutching his briefcase. He stops at the door.

"I am always reachable at my office if you ever require legal advice. Good luck Lords and Lady."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"The guards are for your protection as much as the house's, Castor. If Jamie comes knocking or some kobolds want to find out what's upstairs, I want to know that you'll be safe."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius shares a look with Castor.
"Calm yourself Mr. Westfield. It was hardly going to be a traveling show, though I imagine Sebastian and Astraea could put on a rousing performance. I imagined we would stay quiet, see the town, and make our introductions to the various mayors and magistrates. They, at least, should be informed of the change in management."

Alonsius puts down his knife and fork and puts his hand on his chin, thinking a bit.
"Yes, I think it would be best if you stayed with the house, Castor. And it would keep me a little more relaxed if I knew you were not alone in the house, especially considering our uninvited guests downstairs. We'll find a guide in Brendal, though I imagine I will recall plenty of my own studies about local history as we travel along."

Alonsius stands up suddenly.
"Well! Plenty to pack then! And frankly, a good opportunity to expand our wardrobe while we are away. None of my old clothes fit anymore."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Castor nods and accepts your judgement with no clear display of relief or reluctance.

"Very good," he says, setting about clearing the table. "The stables, an hour."

You have no idea how Castor manages to get so much accomplished within the hour it takes you to wash, dress and prepare your small amounts of luggage. True to his word, he is awaiting you by the stables with three horses saddled and ready.

"I will make arrangements for some guards as you have requested," he says, passing around sets of reins. Unless you are help up by some problem or other, the first leg of the journey should only take a few days or so, I imagine. You saw Brendal a couple of days ago, and as you can see, not much has changed. They are kind and hard working people them that live there, but they aren't exactly... worldly. If you want to make friends, don't act like you think you're above them, but also don't try and act like them. As long as you don't flaunt stories of your travels and don't start dropping your th's then you should be fine. Next stop is Northbrace, they're a bit quieter and smaller out there, sort of the outskirts of the county. You'll get a colder welcome there in more ways than one. Finally, round to Walkern which is the village on the travel route. It's small but they've seen all kinds of people come through so the people are a bit harder to shock."

---

The ride through the woods is peaceful and easy, even for those of you who have not ridden horses for a while. Your mounts are well trained and calm and seem to enjoy the attention you give them. Aside from the unpleasant reminder of the busted barricade used to block the wagon's path a few days before, you pass nothing of note or concern. You arrive in the town square under the watchful eyes of the runny-nosed kid who had been watching the wagon for Castor and Simon.

" 'ere, you want I should watch your 'orses? I'll do it for a gold piece each. Load of 'orse thieves round 'ere. You'll need someone to keep an eye on 'em."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea hops off her horse and walks up to the kid, she crouches down to his height and smiles. "Hi! I think I saw you a few days ago when I was passing through town. I'm Astraea and these are my brothers. If you could look after our horses we would be really grateful." She puts three shiny gold pieces in his hand. "And there will be a bonus waiting for you if you do a good job, I have some very pretty coins that are all the way from Santa Cora that could be yours if you're really helpful."

She pauses for a moment then quietly adds. "Say, are there really a lot of horse thieves or other bandits around here? Don't worry, you still get to keep your coin no matter what you answer, but if there are it'd be great if you could tell me who they are. I'd like to talk to them."

Horses! (Charitable Celestial + Cha): 1d20+4+3+2 Natural 20! 29

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The kid's eyes become nervous as Astraea offers the money. His hands shuffle wildly around, secretly depositing the coins in various hideyholes and pockets. As her questions become more invasive, he awkwardly fidgets on the spot.

"Yeah... I mean... well... in the woods mostly, you get some of the older kids dressin' up and goin' out robbin'. Everyone knows everyone 'round here apart from you, so them what do the robbin' ususally cover their faces. I mean... I don't know who they are or how common it is REALLY... I mean... last week someone took some carrots from farmer Hancock's farm... and and and I know a horse went missing two years ago... Oh and there was a bandit called Merlin around here for a while but then he went away."

It appears that the child was wildly exaggerating the situation. Still, it's probably a very good idea to have someone watch your horses. It's fairly standard behaviour across the empire.

"Well look who it is again," Jamie says from behind you. You turn to find him dressed in the garb of a deputy sheriff. A paper token of office is pinned to his shirt and a crossbow hangs on a strap around his back. He lifts his hands up carefully as he approaches.

"What brings you fancy folk down here to where us commoners live, eh?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Hello Jamie."
Alonsius turns to face him and raises an eyebrow.
"I see you're rapidly moving up the world. It's been, what, two days since we last met? I can only imagine your credentials."

Alonsius shifts his weight and takes on an airy tone.
"As for us, well, I heard from someone on the road that hard times had come to this town. We thought it warranted some looking into. What with recent changes in circumstances, you know."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Jamie! What a surprise! But you're just the person we're looking for, you see, we had a run in with some bandits a couple days ago that we'd like to report."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"I know I told you to stop your banditry but I didn't quite expect you to listen this well." Astraea sceptically looks at Jamie. "What kind of con are you running?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Jamie slips his thumbs beneath the belts of his suspenders and lets them slap back to his chest with a satisfying CRACK!

"You must be mistaking me for someone else, Little Lord. I've not seen you for years ever since you swanned off to do you know what, you know where, with whoever and whatever. No, no, no, your return is all news to me. And what's this I hear of bandits? Troubling... very troubling. You see, my father, the sheriff will probably want to hear all about it."

He steps forward, leans in and lowers his voice.

"My dad might have been scared of your old man, but the fact you're here tells me that he's no longer a problem. Like I said, sincerely, I'm sorry for your loss. It's poo poo for anyone. Now though, now me and my kin are going to be the power around here. The lawmakers will make the rules, not some... whatever he was. You understand? And before you fink about having a little chinwag to my old man about what I get up to off duty, he aint gonna believe you over his first born son, is he?"

He steps back with a twinkle in his eye and a crooked smile.

"The sheriff prolly wants a word with ya, you want I should lead you to the town hall?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius leans in.
"We'll see."

He stands up.
"But yes, I'd love to catch up with your father, Jamie. It seems a good time to speak with him, after all. Lead the way."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Haha! To my ears it sounded like you said lawmaker and not lawbreaker there." Astraea smiles, it's hard to tell if it's sincere or not. "Let me just make it clear that if you think you're going to take advantage of our father's death by abusing innocent people we're going to have a big problem." Ok, maybe not so hard to tell. She motions towards the town hall. "Let's go then."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Jamie shoots you a crooked smile and narrows his eyes.

"Whatever could you mean? I've worked hard in Brendal to keep things peaceful. I'm sure we won't have any problems... and if we do, well... that'll be another discussion won't it?"

He leads you on, across the town square and through a small and bustling market place. The architecture and trade goods of Brendal mirror one another - large, heavy and pale. The vendors sell plain quilts, simple vegetables, large sheets of thick fabric. There is one stall run by an elf which stocks more exotic produce from The Queen's Wood, but having travelled, you know that the items for sale are the weakest examples of their kind and are being sold for far more than one would normally pay for them. He gives you a little bow as you pass and gestures to a rack of elven wine. It's not bad, but there is better at the house.

The town hall is a solid wooden building in the centre of one street. Intricately carved pillars wind up the front wall and the door is decorated with golden ribbons. Inside, there is an open space for town meetings and various festival gatherings, though it is now empty. The air here is cool and still. Off to one side is a doorway, which Jamie knocks with his knuckles. After some muttering from the other side, his father, Richard appears. He is tall and broad shouldered for a halfling, with dimensions that appear more like those of a dwarf. His face is grey and whilst not completely lacking in humour, is void of the charm and spark that animates his son's.

"What can I do for you, deputy?" he asks, eyeing each of you slowly.

"This is Alonsius, Sebastian and Astraea Ostraberg, dad. They're the uh... acting Lords and Ladies of the manor now."

Richard nods solemnly, taking off his hat and then extending his hand to each of you in turn.

"Please, come in, Jamie go make yourself useful."

Jamie bows theatrically and heads back out onto the streets, but not before giving each of you a pointed glance.

Inside the room is an office of sorts with two tables on opposite ends of the room. One clearly belongs to Richard, behind the other sits a tall red-haired man wearing the chain of office. One glance tells you this man is a retired army veteran.

"Pleased to meet you," he says in a deep commanding voice. "So, which of you is the Lord now?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius returns the handshake. He briefly wonders what the ettiquette for being lord is, and eventually decides not to bow.
"Greetings, Richard. And to be clear, all three of us share the responsibility for the estate. A triumverate of sorts, though we are all Ostrabergs, after all."

Alonsius remains somewhat stiff. He's not really sure how these things were supposed to go.
"We come with news that Alexander Ostraberg has passed, and hope to acquaint ourselves more closely with the towns now under our jurisdiction. While I understand our father was content to leave you to your own devices, we planto create a more prosperous county through cooperation and goodwill.

But we have our own questions. How fares Brendal?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Brendal fares well, m'Lord," he says in an amiable, but gruff voice. "We have the same minor troubles out here that we've always had, but I'm pleased to say that things are getting better by the year. The town just needed a stronger presence wearing the mayoral chain." He leaves a pause, then smiles to show he is at least half-joking. "No, in all seriousness, things are not yet perfect, but they are improving. We still have some minor problems with poaching and banditry in The Doveland Woods, but reports are down considerably over the last couple of years. There are some hobgoblin tribes living in the plains to the north, but they keep to themselves and haven't given me any reason to have them cut down yet."

"I've told the mayor that I think we should deal with them sooner rather than later," Richard pipes up. "But he's the mayor and it's his choice. My jurisdiction ends at the town borders and I respect that."

"As for the townsfolk, they always seem happy enough when I talk to them," the mayor continues with a yawn. "I suppose all mayors say as much. Go and have a word with some of them if you like, they'll probably open up a bit more to you. You could grab a commoner off the streets if you like, but there are a couple of important... well... notable I suppose, people in Brendal. Linda the midwife is the oldest living resident and she's been around for years. We've got a tiny museum in the town square run by a fellow named Obidiah. He went off to study at the university in Horizon, only living person from around here to do so, he knows more about history than anyone I've ever met. Oh and there's Freida, she's hard to miss, big strong dwarven lass. She's the sort of unofficial spokeswoman for the town's non-human population. We're nearly all human here, not that we mind anyone else of course, but aside from Richard, his son, and Frieda, the non-humans tend to stick to themselves a bit. If they have any trouble, she's the one they feel comfortable talking to and she brings it over here."

"They all think I'm in the mayor's pocket, you see?" Richard says with a laugh. "They think I'll throw them in a cell or something."

"Anyway, that's everything really. Was there anything else you wanted?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea stands nervously and looks on as Alonsius speaks to the officials, she manages a half-hearted "Hello." as the sheriff shakes her hand. She was supposed to be some sort of authoritative figure now, talking to mayors and sheriffs as their superior? It all felt really uncomfortable, she was mostly used to stealing from people like her. Well, not like her of course. She didn't steal from anyone that didn't have it coming, only from evil people that were the root of so much poverty and misery. She was going to do good, make sure that nobody had to go hungry and... Wait what had they been saying? She needed to pay attention and stop getting flustered!

"About that minor bandit problem, a large group of them tried to rob us when we were heading to the manor. We hadn't even been here for a day, are you saying that we were just unlucky?" She turns to Richard. "Oh, and your son Jamie, is he really acting as your deputy? What sort of responsibilities does he have?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Well maybe you were unlucky," Richard says, stroking his chin, "but it was probably whatever you were riding in. The bandits tend to go for dressed wagons and such so far as we can tell. We rarely get any reports from horse riders, and nearly all the attacks are on.. well... I suppose you might call them 'particularly fortunate individuals'. The rich. Rich people get robbed, the poor not so much, and so far the bandits are yet to hurt a single soul so far as we can tell. As for Jamie, yeah he's my deputy. It started out as a sort of joke when he was younger, then one day it just seemed like the right thing to do. He's not the best sheriff's aid, but he works hard and he does as he's told and nobody has ever complained about him. This is a small, quiet town, and we don't get much trouble. Plus I always know where I can find him!"

He chuckles.

"Was there anything else?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius nods. Interesting.

"I'm surprised they haven't pressed their complaints more vigorously. Well, something to keep an eye on, but I imagine we will have other matters to consider as well."
Alonsius turns to Astraea and Sebastian.
"Thank you very much then, Richard, Mayor. We will be off to get a room at the inn, perhaps meet with the locals you suggested."

Er, what was the mayor's name?

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 3, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Well these two seemed like nice people, Brendal would probably fare well with them in charge. Still, it couldn't hurt to hear what the rest of town had to say. "If something troubles Brendal don't hesitate to bring it to our attention, we're here to make sure our land prospers and that everyone can live well in peace after all. Goodbye for now!"

"So, let's head to the inn first? It seems like a good place to start."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I popped the mayor in the OP, but I think I forgot to introduce him IC. His name is Mayor Oscad

The Mayor and Sheriff Homes watch you go with friendly smiles. Once you step outside, Richard closes the door behind you and you hear them quickly conversing in hushed whispers. You try and listen out for anything important, but it mostly seems to be the mayor gossiping that you are all shorter than he imagined you would be. The few words you do manage to pick out seem relatively positive. Their big fear - that you would demand knee-bent servitude, has been avoided.

You quickly find the main inn in the very centre of the town square. As you pass by, you notice the boy you paid earlier, guarding your horses by means of a huge stick. Other kids are gathered staring at the large, healthy mounts, but he's clearly warned them about getting too close. For a kid you half suspected was just begging for gold, he's doing a stirling job.

The building is a two-layered thatched affair named "The Thistle Pub and Lodgings". The ground floor is a single open-plan room filled with tables, kegs and bar. Some locals are already drinking but its too early for too much business. There are a couple of regulars who look as if they spend every waking hour here, but the rest of the patrons appear to be hardy farmhands who have probably been up at dawn and only just ended a long day's work. The small group are huddled around a card table as you enter, but all of them stop to look up at you. Their glares are not openly hostile, but you get the impression they are appraising you.

A woman behind the bar smiles nervously and when she talks her voice is a twittering nervous birdsong.

"Gentlemen, I mean, oh I suppose, Lords... M'lady, welcome to my establishment. Can I be getting you something to drink? On the house of course! And.. Or um... will you be blessing The Thistle with your patronage? The upstairs, I mean? The inn? Will you be staying with us tonight?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian introduces himself to the sheriff and mayor, smiling and nodding through the important parts of the conversation, but leaves the others to do the actual talking. Better to let the others handle things that require etiquette.

Entering the Thistle, however, Sebastian perks up. He may not know how to be a lord, but he knows how to drink. "Drinks on the house? Very well, but I insist on buying a round for everyone! I am Sebastian, and this is Alonsius and Astraea." He flips a gold coin (or however much a round costs) onto the bar, and grins at everyone inside. "Now, who wants to try to outdrink a lord?"

Sebastian knows well that more secrets are spilled in bars than anywhere else, and he hopes to win the locals over and get them to confide in him.

LotP+Level+CHA: 1d20+4+2+3 14 Well, that's not a great roll. :rubshands:

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The farmhands seem a little amused at Sebastian's offer. They give a short cheer and raise their glasses as the barmaid starts pouring heavy flagons of foaming ale. They talk in a huddle for a while, then start laughing. The largest of the men gets to his feet and approaches the bar, slapping Sebastian on the back. He is a big man, rippling with muscle. There are some marks and scars on his huge bare chest and back, wounds that don't appear to be farming accidents.

"I'll meet you, mate!" he says, grabbing a flagon and downing it in a single gulp. "Keep up! Next rounds mine."

An hour later and Sebastian and the farmhand, Barrow, are both wasted. Barrow gets increasingly boisterous and friendly, slapping his knees, launching into song and generally engaging in revalry. Sebastian, however, is starting to look a little worse for wear. You stumble around, lose track of conversation, spill your drink. The other farmhands are laughing at him and more people are beginning to show up.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea smiles warmly at the nervous innkeeper. "Hello, I'm Astraea. What a nice and cozy inn you've got! We do want a room, if there's room for us that is. Oh, and there's definitely no need to offer drinks on the house to us, especially not that particular lord." She winks and nods to Sebastian. "Why I'm afraid he'd drink you straight into crippling debt! Please let us pay for our expenses, if our money just sits idle in some dusty old bank it won't do anyone any good will it?"

As the farmhand gets up to accept Sebastian's challenge Astraea approaches the table he was sitting at. "Looks like you've got a spot open, do you mind if I join for a game or two? I haven't gotten to play cards in so long!"

Deal me in! (Charitable Celestial + Cha): 1d20+4+3+2 11 I was a bit unsure about what background and ability to roll for this, I was thinking charisma for reading people's faces and the background to make them like me but I guess it doesn't end up mattering with that abysmal roll!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The innkeeper hands Astraea a small key and takes payment. She mutters something about breakfast, then goes to pour ale for Sebastian.

As Sebastian gets more and more drunk, the farmhands welcome Astraea into their card game. They seem to prickle a little at her turning down of free drink, but as Sebastian gets more and more rosy-cheeked, and accepts drinks from Barrow without pretence, they warm to her.

"Right you are, m'lady," one of them deals her a hand.

Half an hour later, everyone at the table is a little richer, bar Astraea. You could keep playing and try and win some of it back, but you might lose more and far worse than the cost will be the possibility that the farmhands will think you are 'flashing your cash'. If it appears that money is of no value to you, that will not make you popular. It could be time to walk away?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius rolls his eyes at the events. It looks like it would be a traveling circus after all. He doesn't join in, but instead sits at the bar and talks with the proprietress.
"I wonder, do you remember us when we were younger? It wasn't often we came into town, but I still have fond memories of this place. Perhaps we met before? I do apologize if we have, but its been a long and interesting journey since my youth. But this tavern does bring me back, I think I wandered in here once as a child. The keeper was a large woman, brown hair and a big smile. Your mother, perhaps? I was treated well enough, though I imagine most of them recognized my heritage and got me back to my minders quickly enough. But that wouldn't be the last time I ran into her..."
Alonsius talks about the Brendal he remembers, and how much has changed since then. Hopefully he could get the locals to relax a little. Without losing most of his purse in the process.

Talking local history, hoping to get the peasant perspective on things in town Cha + Historian: 1d20+3+2+2 26

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Well that didn't quite go as planned. On the bright side, at least she hadn't accidentally won all their hard earned money instead, now that could've gotten really awkward. Still, it was probably time to quit. She grimaces. "Ouch, I must've had beginner's luck when I played this before, or maybe my opponents weren't as skilled as you guys. I better cut my losses, thanks for the game." She gets up from the table and scans the room, Seb looked to be having a bit too much fun, maybe she had time to catch up?

She walks up to the bar. "Cider please, and keep it coming!"

Maybe I shouldn't be doing this without a drinking background (Con): 1d20+2+2 6 No, I definitely shouldn't. Another natural 2!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian is very drunk, but not too drunk to know when he's been beaten. He claps a hand on Barrow's back, only missing once, and declares, "Godsh, man, where are you shtoring all this ale? You're going to drink me under the table at thish rate! You've won, fair and shquare. Name your prize, Barrel."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The woman behind the counter smiles politely, if slightly nervously, at Alonsius.

"My aunt, actually. I would have been young if she was still the owner, so she probably didn't mention it to me, but she would have been thrilled to have you visit, m'lord. She always had an interest in the... well the upper class, sir. I bet that she went to bed with a huge smile that night thinking about how a real life Ostraberg had come here."

"High Priestess, bless her," one of the farmhands calls over, taking his hat off.

"Aye," another solemnly nods.

"Brendal hasn't changed much since them days," the barkeep continues with a fond note of nostalgia in her voice. "Same old, same old around here. That doesn't mean there are no problems of course... not that I think its your fault! I just um... well you know. There's always been problems in every place ever, right, m'lord? We got it easy compared to some. All I mean is, the problems here are all the same. We have the bandits, sure, but they stick around in the woods most of the time and well... they've earned it really. You see, there was this gang from Forester's Rest, used to ride through and raid and stuff. They probably still do in some of the little hamlets. The bandits we got now, the um... the local boys, but don't ask me who cause I swear I don't know, they sort of formed in response. They had one big fight and them Forester's Rest boys don't come down here no more, that's for sure. Our lot get together sometimes still, but , you know, they risked their lives facing off them other worse lot, they deserve a little bit. And they never hurt nobody who pays, and never target anyone who can't, so I don't think they really want any REAL trouble.... not that it's okay to rob from the rich! Sorry m'lord! I... oh gosh why do I go on?! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it, I'm just a silly girl. I don't know nothing about the real world and sometimes my mouth runs faster than my brain, sir!"

Astraea has a cider, then another. It's not that she can't handle two drinks, its more that they are very close together. Things get a little blurry and the drinks keep coming. The first time the lady puts her drink on the bar, Astraea offers to pay, the lady protests, and then Astraea insists. The same the second time. At some point she forgets and starts accepting the free drinks. This does not go unnoticed by the labourers who smile at her drunken state, but mutter glumly about her putting away free drinks whilst they have to pay.

It is about this point that Sebastian falls back out of the drinking contest.

"My price? Aye.... aye I got an idea. I hear that you and your brother and sister know your ways around! I heard you travelled a bit! Well how 'bout thissssh? You've taken part in allll the traditional parts of a Brendal night out. You've had a long drink with your fellow men!" He gestures to Astraea. "You've played some cards and lost a little!" There is a cheer. He gestures to Alonsius. "And you've spilled your heart to a beautiful barkeeper!"

The lady goes immediately scarlet and stares down at her hands.

"SO now there's only one part of the night left. 'ow bout we.." He belches. "How 'bout we go in the back alley and throw some fists, eh? Nothing too rough and as soon as anyone hits the ground you stop hitting them. You and your kin versus me and a couple o' my men. What do you say?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea leans heavily to one side on her barstool, somehow she avoids tipping over onto the floor. She raises her mug towards Barrow. "You want to..." she interrupts herself to take a swig from the mug, the cider was so sweet and refreshing. "Want to rumble with the gu-guardiansh of Oshtraberg?" She grins. "I hope your- your friendsh won't laugh too hard when you get your little hiney kicked by a few frail noblesh!" She holds her pinky out with her drinking hand and finishes off the mug then slams it down laughing. "C'mon Al, Seb, let's do thish!"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius listens attentively, but can't help but commenting.
"So, they do hurt those that don't pay? Sorry, please continue."

But then Barrel starts his speech, causing Alonsius to momentarily forget himself and bury his face in his hands.
"Pits take me. I'm terribly sorry, miss...? I hope I didn't embarrass you unduly, but I must look after my siblings."

Still, Alonsius didn't want to be rude. This... this was what peasants did, right? He seemed to remember bar fights featuring strongly in stories. He rolls up his sleeves and joins the group.
"I, uh, can't turn down a new friend, I suppose."

So, if I wanted to use my abilities but keep them on the Down Low, should I roll a check for every spell? Can I suggest at-wills be simple, while the recharge spells require a check, or something?
Edit: hm, I never rolled recharges. Recharge rolls (IF, TL): 1d20 3 1d20 15 both fail

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"You wanna fight ush?" Sebastian guffaws loudly. "You know, I don't blame you. Only been a lord for..." Sebastian makes a big show of thinking and counting up to four fingers. "Only been a lord for today now and I already feel like punching myshelf. Let'sh do thish."

Song of Heroes recharge: 1d20 2 :rip:

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

There is a growing sense of excitement as first Astraea, than Alonsius agree. When Sebastian confirms, every farmhand in the inn bursts out into a wild cheer. They slap you on the back, thrust drinks into your hands, and immediately begin making bets with each other. Several farmhands run out into the streets and begin calling out that the new Lords are about to have a fight and people coming running. So it happens that by the time you are all arranging to go to the back alley, there are far too many gathered bodies to watch. Instead, you are forced out by sheer numbers into the centre of the town square where the crowd forms a circle of bodies as a makeshift ring. There are chants and catcalls, many against you, a surprising number in your favour. Either because of, or despite your behaviour so far, there are a number of folks on your side!

Barrow smiles a broad, seemingly genuine smile.

"Alright, alright, alright!" he says, lifting one hand to silence the crowd. "Here's the rules: If someone goes down, you leave 'em alone, alright? Once you're down, you can get up again, but if you use that to try and avoid fighting til the end you'll look like some sneaky little pansy! If you go down hard and want out for good, just crawl over to the edge and the crowd will help you out... or maybe get in a few extra kicks, right boys?" There is a burst of laughter and a few cheers, but it all seems good-natured enough. "Now, no using the edges of your weapons. If any of you have the gift, try and dull your magic a bit, we don't want any lasting harm,here understand? This is for fun. So! On the side of Ostraberg, we have Alon...Alonsius, Astraea and Seabshtiun, Lords and Lady of House Ostraberg may it last a thousand years!"

The swelling roar of the crowd is deafening. People cheer, clap, stomp and wail in celebration.

"On the side of Brendal, we have myself," the roar is so loud it drowns out the rest, but you come to realise you will be facing off against Barrow and two other farmhands - Fat Orris, and Lucky.

Barrow raises one hand as his companions steps forward. Fat Orris is a large man, stripped to the waist and wearing ripped trousers and no shoes. His skin is the colour of walnut shells from working in the sun every day of his life. Lucky is a lot smaller and seems nervous, sticking very much to the back. You fall in, circling one another, waiting to see who will act first...

Roll initiative!

The following rules apply:
Nobody is going to die here unless you specifically say you want to kill (probably don't want to do this, but hey, its your game!)
You may decide you want to lose, which is fine, the aim here is not necessarily to win (though it might be) but to increase your opinion rankings of the people watching.
Different people's opinions will rise and fall depending on your actions.
What you say, what you do, and your attacks will all affect opinions in different ways.
In addition to this, you can perform a background check each round as a quick action,, but HOW it effects opinion will still depend on my ruling. This could be cheering, trash-talking, some fancy footwork or trying to disguise the fact your powers come from the realm of shadows.
There is no hard-line riddle to how different groups react, and I will be rolling some dice behind the DM's screen, but there will be general things different groups like and dislike.

Re: Disguising your powers come from the realm of shadows, remember that most of the people here have never left their village. They don't have a clue what is and isn't permissible by magic. So far as they know, what your shadow does is what every wizard's shadow does. That doesn't necessarily apply to everyone here, but it will certainly be the majority...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea's head is spinning and her motions are exaggerated as they paced around the circle, but she felt full of energy and somehow oddly in balance. She can feel the excitement in the air and looks at her opponents expectantly. Here we go!

Initiative: 1d20+6 13

• Locked thread