Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So a couple months back I lost my job because I kept falling asleep. Like many times in my long history with exhaustion I went to several doctors' appointments, only this time, they had me do a sleep schedule, and the conclusion the doctor came up with was "You probably have narcolepsy". He gave me a trial for a medication called Nuvigil, and I'm seeing him in various followup appointments for keeping track of that, and for other things. That was... about a week ago, I guess.

So I'm taking these new drugs, and I feel for the most part pretty good. Great, even. I've been on antidepressants for several years now, and while they had a subtle effect I noticed after a few months, the narcolepsy medication has an immediate effect, right now. Just three days after starting it, I started feeling smarter and more... generally capable than I had in over a decade. Like getting a significant portion of my brain back. The first couple of nights I couldn't sleep until it was already early morning and then only for maybe 3-4 hours and I was ready to go for the next day. My sleep is still pretty uncontrollable. the last few days I've been able to sleep a full 8 hours, but I haven't been able to GET to sleep until the early morning. While the alertness is fantastic, I'm not convinced it's given me a working sleep schedule, which is something I've never had in my life.

What can I expect with my medications? Should I be worried about keeping a job in the future? Do you have any general advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The questions about the meds might get better answers over in goon doctor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, I've read all the clinical stuff, and talked to my own doctor about it. I guess I'm just trying to look for a more... human element.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
New medication can make you manic sometimes and dont worry everything goes back to being poo poo soon enough.

Edit: Its just some modanifinil analogue. Getting high on uppers makes you feel every effect you listed.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well, yeah. the whole point of taking the drat things is so I can focus on things without falling asleep. So far, so good.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, I've got some advice for you. The very first thing you have to do, before anything else, is simpleEEEEW455555JKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Take sleep hygiene really seriously.

• Locked thread