Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

In a market where dozens of new releases across several platforms are beckoning me to purchase the latest games, I have a lot of options. I have absolutely no want to support loving abhorrent practices used by Bungie and Activision; it's honestly downright despicable.

From this day on I will never purchase or recommended a game from either company again. I'm not trying to start a trend, but I will feel better knowing my hard earned money is going to the right hands. I've done the same with Breyers "frozen dairy desserts", and I'll do it again here. I'm a consumer, not a cash cow used to "paying a premium" or "throwing my money at my screen."

We don't work for them, they work for us.

Yours sincerely,
Nintendo64Cartridge warning: reddit link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

wot if i told u dat u cud danse around a bit on the telly? y ud thro money at da screen mate

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

activision reaped again

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm done with the company that makes hot pockets. they're not even hot, in fact when i buy them they're frozen solid and i have to heat them myself. in the microwave!

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Final Fight 2 greatest game ever

you don't need to play any other video game just play final fight 2 and you will be happy forever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i sure am unhappy about the business practices of the companies that make the lovely loving console fps games i play with a retarded loving controller

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm done with the company that makes hot pockets. they're not even hot, in fact when i buy them they're frozen solid and i have to heat them myself. in the microwave!

And even then there is always a cold pocket in the middle somewhere :(

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you can laugh all you want, but video games *audience continues to laugh*
I said, VIDEO GAMES ARE A LEGITIMATE *audience laughter grows, nerd is increasingly inaudible*
LOOK, IT'S NOT A LAUGHING MATTER, VIDEO GAMES HAVE CONTRIBUTED *audience begins to guffaw and throw things, nerd dies*

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

is this about the shootymans game or is it the batman game they had to stop selling on pc because it was so broken

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BeefThief posted:

is this about the shootymans game or is it the batman game they had to stop selling on pc because it was so broken

it's both

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the important lesson is pc gaming is dead, it's finally fully dead

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ethanol posted:

it's both

Batman can't shoot people what the gently caress this is wrong.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

burritolingus posted:

Batman can't shoot people what the gently caress this is wrong.

batman uses his tank to shoot people in the newest batman get with the program

Ive killed at least 4 people by smashing into their car at 140 mph I'm not proud but I killed those people and I am the batman so

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ethanol posted:

batman uses his tank to shoot people in the newest batman get with the program

Ive killed at least 4 people by smashing into their car at 140 mph I'm not proud but I killed those people and I am the batman so

What an rear end hole.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I've done the same with Breyers "frozen dairy desserts", and I'll do it again here. I'm a consumer, not a cash cow used to "paying a premium" or "throwing my money at my screen."
We don't work for them, they work for us.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i wanna know whats so bad about the iced cream company

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

agreed with the op

chapmans is far superior to breyers in every way

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

lets gently caress

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

ethanol posted:

I'm not proud

neither are your parents

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i wanna know whats so bad about the iced cream company

Breyer's Ice Cream.

This brand used to be the epitome of high quality among the throngs of pedestrian grocery store brands. Rich, flavorful, and natural were a few adjectives that used to describe their products. Eventually, the company was sold to Unilever who didn't waste much time before changing the recipe and loving the poo poo out of the brand. Some time around 2008, the 1.5 quart (ice cream is sold by volume) dropped in weight from 56 oz to 48 oz. Additionally, the number of ingredients in their vanilla ice cream literally doubled.

To make matters worse, the cream (widely considered to be the most important ingredient) fell from the second most used ingredient to fourth behind sugar and corn syrup. By volume this means that the amount of sugar in relation to cream has at the very least least doubled. Today, there is so little cream in the product that, according to IDFA standards, it is not technically ice cream. In fact, Breyer's must now legally package their products as "Frozen Dairy Desserts". Another affect of the recipe change is that the product is no longer legally allowed to be marketed as "All Natural". If you take a look at the current packaging, the bins now say "Quality Since 1866" which is kind of ironic since the current recipe is noting at all like the old one.

Now, let's take a step back and go over the change in weight. The industry term for the air whipped into ice cream is "overrun". Generally speaking, higher quality ice creams have less overrun and lower quality ice creams have more overrun. The difference in texture that overrun makes is astounding when it comes to ice cream. This is why Breyer's used to be thick and solid but is now airy and flaky. Not only are the consumers now paying for cheaper artificial ingredients but they are also being sold almost 15% less ice cream by weight.

Breyer's is managing to get away with all of this because of a recent marketing trend that has affected the landscape of supermarket ice cream products.

Mother loving "Light N Fluffy". Also known as "Slow Churned", "Smooth N Creamy", "Light N Creamy", "Double Churned", "Smooth and Creamy", etc. It goes by many names but they're all clever marketing terms that convince consumers to pay more for less. Featuring less fat, less calories, more overrun, and cheaper ingredients, the "Light N Fluffy" wave has been an coporate investor's perpetual wetdream. All of these products use synthetic chemicals in order to mask the taste of ice cream that lacks the basic ingredients that are supposed to make it taste great. The scariest part of this how movement is that it's working beautifully and most national ice cream brands now offer an entire line of "Light N Fluffy".

With so many people cleverly tricked into believing they like their ice cream lovely, I've run into a lot of opposition where people say thing like, "Well what if I like Light N Fluffy ice cream? Maybe people just genuinely like Light N Fluffy things, did you ever think about that?"

Yea, well a lot of people genuinely like Beats headphones. You may think that the pretty tub of whipped artificial flavors tastes great but you'd be as wrong as the guy comparing his Beats Studios to Sennheiser HD 800s.

Ice cream, by definition, is made from milk fat and is meant to be a dense and fatty. That's why any half decent ice cream parlor serves rich and thick ice cream. It's because they're not aerating corn syrup and carrageenan in the back.

Anyways, I've gotten a little off topic but Breyer's fall from grace is really indicative of the downward spiral that is the ice cream industry. I tend to use Breyer's specifically because they used to be my favorite ice cream company.

It's terrifying to me because even after all the obviously awful changes that Unilever made with the brand, people are still buying enough of it to keep it in store shelves.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

Breyer's Ice Cream.

This brand used to be the epitome of high quality among the throngs of pedestrian grocery store brands. Rich, flavorful, and natural were a few adjectives that used to describe their products. Eventually, the company was sold to Unilever who didn't waste much time before changing the recipe and loving the poo poo out of the brand. Some time around 2008, the 1.5 quart (ice cream is sold by volume) dropped in weight from 56 oz to 48 oz. Additionally, the number of ingredients in their vanilla ice cream literally doubled.

To make matters worse, the cream (widely considered to be the most important ingredient) fell from the second most used ingredient to fourth behind sugar and corn syrup. By volume this means that the amount of sugar in relation to cream has at the very least least doubled. Today, there is so little cream in the product that, according to IDFA standards, it is not technically ice cream. In fact, Breyer's must now legally package their products as "Frozen Dairy Desserts". Another affect of the recipe change is that the product is no longer legally allowed to be marketed as "All Natural". If you take a look at the current packaging, the bins now say "Quality Since 1866" which is kind of ironic since the current recipe is noting at all like the old one.

Now, let's take a step back and go over the change in weight. The industry term for the air whipped into ice cream is "overrun". Generally speaking, higher quality ice creams have less overrun and lower quality ice creams have more overrun. The difference in texture that overrun makes is astounding when it comes to ice cream. This is why Breyer's used to be thick and solid but is now airy and flaky. Not only are the consumers now paying for cheaper artificial ingredients but they are also being sold almost 15% less ice cream by weight.

Breyer's is managing to get away with all of this because of a recent marketing trend that has affected the landscape of supermarket ice cream products.

Mother loving "Light N Fluffy". Also known as "Slow Churned", "Smooth N Creamy", "Light N Creamy", "Double Churned", "Smooth and Creamy", etc. It goes by many names but they're all clever marketing terms that convince consumers to pay more for less. Featuring less fat, less calories, more overrun, and cheaper ingredients, the "Light N Fluffy" wave has been an coporate investor's perpetual wetdream. All of these products use synthetic chemicals in order to mask the taste of ice cream that lacks the basic ingredients that are supposed to make it taste great. The scariest part of this how movement is that it's working beautifully and most national ice cream brands now offer an entire line of "Light N Fluffy".

With so many people cleverly tricked into believing they like their ice cream lovely, I've run into a lot of opposition where people say thing like, "Well what if I like Light N Fluffy ice cream? Maybe people just genuinely like Light N Fluffy things, did you ever think about that?"

Yea, well a lot of people genuinely like Beats headphones. You may think that the pretty tub of whipped artificial flavors tastes great but you'd be as wrong as the guy comparing his Beats Studios to Sennheiser HD 800s.

Ice cream, by definition, is made from milk fat and is meant to be a dense and fatty. That's why any half decent ice cream parlor serves rich and thick ice cream. It's because they're not aerating corn syrup and carrageenan in the back.

Anyways, I've gotten a little off topic but Breyer's fall from grace is really indicative of the downward spiral that is the ice cream industry. I tend to use Breyer's specifically because they used to be my favorite ice cream company.

It's terrifying to me because even after all the obviously awful changes that Unilever made with the brand, people are still buying enough of it to keep it in store shelves.

sing it brother

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's like an MMO except instead of paying $15 a month you pay $190 a year, and instead of the hats costing $2 they cost $20

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ethanol posted:

activision reaped again

in the taint?`??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I could list quite a few names of the people working on my favourite games, unlike some other games I liked that were just made by nameless people at a company I didn't feel like I had a connection with.

• Locked thread