Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The Kingdom of Ulova is a land of pastoral beauty and shocking savagery. King Thuon rules from his castle in the bustling city of Stoneburg. His knights defend the land against raids by the goblins of the Treacherous Hills, while the Tanglebranch Forest harbors enclaves of Wood Elves and their deadly enemies, the Gnolls. The Granite Mountains are home to the ancient Kingdom of the Dwarves, while in the far north, the Evil Dark Lord Sytthas threatens to bring all free peoples under his terrible yoke, with his hordes of undead warriors, orcs, goblins, and evil Sorcerers.

Our story begins with our four adventurers ...

Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage by Ryuujin
Fleabag, Catfolk Rogue by JackMann
Cary, Merfolk Marksman by zachol
Stragen, Halfling Warlord by Bleu

... conversing in the The Warrior's Alehouse, when they feel a deep rumbling in the ground. Cups and mugs begin to tumble over, and as the shaking grows in strength, soon chairs and tables start clattering as well. Cary's yak starts baying loudly in panic outside, while the other bar patrons and the bartender take cover underneath whatever they can find.

Fleabag, you can sense a direction behind the rumbling. It seems to be traveling underneath and across the tavern, towards the town's main street.

Everyone hears the cracking of rock and the shifting of a great amount of soil.

What do you do?

Link to OOC/Recruitment thread

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

Cary gasps.
"Is this an earthquake? Is this what an earthquake is like on land? At sea we end up with tsunamis, but that only means you need to make sure you're far enough seaward that you won't get caught up in the waves when they go ashore, and we often end up following the tsunami because of the, uh, livestock that get swept back into the sea, but I've never been on land when it happened before, will the ground split open I heard that in a story once, that a person was standing on the ground and a great chasm split open and he was swallowed up by the earth, that would be terrible I know that drowning is not fun for airbreathers and there is not enough oxygen in the ground to breathe and I would not like to experience that oh no the yak! The yak is crying! It will run, and that was such a problem before, it can run so far when frightened! I'm sorry I must go!"

The fishwoman flops to the ground, and starts wriggling over towards the exit. She is not very fast at all.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Fleabag

"Don't figure it is, Scales," Fleabag said. "Earthquakes is more of an everywhere sort of shaking, an' this is scarperin' that way." He gestures towards the street. "Earthquakes don't scarper, I'm pretty sure. Somethin's diggin' down there, though I ain't so wise on what that somethin' is. Some sort've big mole?" Fleabag wasn't quite sure how big moles got. He thought they were more around rat size, but being something of a city boy, he'd never seen one in the up close before. Perhaps they were bigger than he'd suspected. "Might not be you'll want to go that way, Scales, least until we get a better map of the situation."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Cary

"Oh noooooo! Not big mole! It will eat my yak!"
Cary pauses, confused.
"What is mole? Does it eat yaks? Also how does it swim in the ground? I thought things suffocate in the ground?"

The ground shudders again, and Cary's head whips back towards the renewed bleating.
"No my yak! I must go and hunt big mole!"
And now she's unslinging her bow from her back and still wriggling over towards the door.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As Cary opens the door to the outside, she and Fleabag both see a 15-foot hole right in the middle of the street.

Pawford is a small town, so the street is really just a dirt road that people have been building houses next to, but nevertheless there's a dark chasm where packed earth used to be.

The yak is still shaken, and it looks like it might have loosened the wooden stakes it was tied to in its fright, but it calms a little at the sight of its mistress.

Looking around, you see the rest of the townsfolk slowly coming to, but they're staying well indoors. It's difficult to peer deeper into the hole, but the sides of it aren't sheer, and it should be possible to climb down.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag's pupils widen into circles. His tail twitched. "That has all the looks of a mystery. Might could be a blessin' in it. Hey, Flames, you're wordy. See if anyone might have interest in payin' us like such as our labor is worth." He turns to the halfling. "Here, Jimmy, give me a hand with Scales so we can get our looks on the situation."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

Stragen, the ground finally having settled, gingerly sets down his drink before venturing outside, stopping halfway out to gawk at the sinkhole. "...It's not a bear demon, right? It's a mole. I can handle moles. Not that I couldn't handle a demon!" He loosens his weapons nervously. "...Seriously, though, what is it. I can't see a thing down there. Did it get the yak?" He doubles back to the flopping merfolk, scratching his head. "And do you need, uh, a hand?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Well what I really need is a foot. Or two. Walking seems so convenient."
She murmurs something to the yak to calm it further, then stares at the hole.

"We're not going down there, are we? It's going to collapse and we'll suffocate. I don't want to learn what drowning is like. I've seen it, uh, a few times. Looks miserable."
She looks around at the street.
"This seems like it's going to be quite inconvenient for the town. Could we pursue a quest to fill in the hole? We could rent a cart for my yak and locate a quarry..."

She trails off, looking at the halfling.
"Or is that too... unheroic? It is, isn't it? I'm still learning. We should... hunt the mole, right? Should we locate a questgiver first or just trust that heroics will be rewarded in due course? Oh!"
She looks back down at the hole, and grins.
"Are you offering to carry me? Or offer a shoulder? That would be greatly appreciated! I promise I won't bite. I am not like that idiot scorpion from the fable."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Yes, well, the latter. Not a lot of room on my back." Stragen tries with minimal success to provide a shoulder to lean on in a way that doesn't resemble a footstool. "Maybe there's posted bounties for moles. That's what I'd do if I had a mole problem," he nods, confidence creeping back into his voice.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage by Ryuujin

Agni looks at the cat-person, thing, that gave its name as Fleabag. "This matter seems rather urgent, and a deed well done will likely be better received than one where we go up to random people asking them to pay us to do what we are going to do anyway."

He begins to look for a way down. "Well I don't think it is a bear demon. Mole demon, giant mole, or some other burrowing creature perhaps. A bear demon, not as likely. I don't believe they burrow under towns."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag

"Cha, all right. But if this trip don't glitter, I'm puttin' the stink on you, Flames." Fleabag said. "You lot hang back a tick. I'm gonna go mince it." He dropped into a crouch, and padded silently forward towards the hole, keeping his eyes wide and his ears on a swivel.

Excellent Stealth (26), So Perceptive (25)!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary watches the catperson go scout, and looks down at the halfling she's leaning on.
"He's going to mince the mole alone? Can we still benefit from completing the quest? I am still learning about... 'fairness,' but that seems unfair. For him. I'm not sure if I should complain or not. It seems nice for me, but also unheroic, and I'm supposed to be a hero completing quests."

She watches the hole a little bit longer, then laughs melodiously.
"Hahaha. Fleabag Molemincer, Slayer of Subterranean Soricomorphs."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fleabag skirts to the edge of the sinkhole and finds that it extends deep below the earth and extends back in the direction of the tavern. In the dim light, he makes out two fat giant rodents with teeth the size of plate-glass windows. They seem to be scurrying deeper into the cavern, which only becomes wider and wider further in.

Since you're stealthed and completely undetected, I'm not committing you to combat just yet. You can still come back out and plan with the rest of the group, if you want, but now you know what to expect

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag works his way back out of the hole and to the others. In a low voice he says, "There's at least two really big moles down there, which is not any sort of a coincidence because I am definitely smart enough to've known they was down there. Unfortunately, I don't figure on how we're like to sneak up on 'em as a group, what with us not havin' the full two-to-one leg-to-person ratio what we would normally want for such venturin'. No offense, Scales. Anyhow, toughsome bit is gonna be t'get the moles to fight us without them droppin' by under the dirt where as we can't reach 'em. Anyone got a map on how to go?"

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Ain't far, right? I bet we could jump 'em. Well, I could jump 'em." Stragen pulls out his weapons and begins to limber up. "Maybe I could slow one down a tic, too. I have a trick I've been wanting to try."

Going into Outer Sphere Stance, now that I know it's moles and not bear demons.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Well I'm planning on shooting them, obviously, but if they're much larger than dogs I doubt I could drop one immediately, much less two at once. Hmm. Well, moles aren't carnivores, but maybe giant moles are? We could bait them out with raw meat. Or, if they're still herbivores, succulent beets or carrots?"
She blinks.
"Not that I have either on me. I could try taunting them into a rage? Or sing to lure them. Otherwise... I'm actually marginally stealthy when I need to be, so I could just trail in behind as we all try to sneak up on them."

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"But isn't that guy kind of on fire? All the time." Stragen looks meaningfully at Agni. "I don't know about the sneaky approach. I think we might just want to take them down before they call to their...mole...pack? Whatever they have."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"A labor."

She looks at Agni.
"Can we drape a tarp over him?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni looks to Cary. "That might not be the best idea. If you must be stealthy, you can proceed ahead, and In can follow far enough behind to not draw attention to you. Then I can join the battle from a distance when you are ready. Perhaps if they actually spot me, though being moles I am not too certain about their eyesight, they will come rushing me without spotting you?"

He pauses for a moment in thought. "How stealthy are you when you aren't riding a yakk or mule?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary shrugs.
"Stealthy like a slithering snake. A seven foot long slithering snake producing about as much noise as an untalented novice sneaking human thug. Overall, mildly stealthy."
She slithers around, tail waving in a serpentine motion, making a pretty soft rasping sound as her scales pass over the ground.

"I've learned to stop humming when trying to hunt stealthily. The standards of hunting are quite different on the surface, the acoustic properties of the air and ground don't produce the same disorientation in prey as in the sea. I think I'd want to hang back regardless."

+4 stealth, woop woop.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag

Fleabag nods. "Right, then, here's how I figure we do. I go in firstlike, usin' my sneaksome charms t'try an' get closer. Next it'll be Scales and Muscles, an' finally you, Flames. Second the boo goes up, forget sneakin' an' rush in, on account that I'm probably bein' torn t'pieces by moles. Scales, you just get close enough you get a good bead on 'em with that thrower of yours. Flames, y'know how close y'need to get to start singin'. Muscles an' I will have a flank goin' soon's we can. Idealsome, we get in there afore they know what's hit 'em, but in the case they catch wise early or an errant rockslide buggers the fun, we rush in an' see what the dealer drops. Any ruminations you want to add, or shall I proceed?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"None of us are ruminants, though, and even if we were that would be a pretty gross thing to share."
She tilts her head.
"We should get moving quick before they start digging again."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'd like to ask for Stealth rolls for those that are going to try to get in close, to determine if you get a surprise round and how close you start to the moles, or those that won't be sneaking in (or are caught) will start at the entrance of the cave.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary's pretty sneaky with a 16.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen got a 14.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like everyone on the internet, Invisible Castle likes cats.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni stays far back, at least until the others indicate they are starting, or until the moles start attacking.

Stealth 1d20+3 4 if needed, hopefully it isn't needed since he is staying way back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fleabag - you get a surprise round, which means you can take a Standard or Move Action, then you can also take your first normal round right after. The moles are caught Flat-footed.

Stragen and Cary - you can act in the first normal round. No surprise, but the moles are still Flat-footed.

Agni - you can act in the first normal round. The moles would no longer be Flat-footed, but I doubt that'd matter much with your attacks.

pre:
Giant Mole 1
HP 13/13
AC 14, Touch AC 11, Flat-footed AC 13
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0, CMD 14

Giant Mole 2
HP 13/13

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Ahahahah!! Death to moles! We shall dine on the tough sinewy fruit of the earth tonight! Ahahahah!!!"
A pair of arrows thwip past Fleabag into one of the moles, weirdly accurate but mostly getting caught in the beast's fur.
And then she starts humming, something vaguely and wildly like a hunting chant swelling from apparently quite expansive lungs. It's... uh... certainly some humming?

Rapid shot, full attack, spend 2 stamina to negate penalties, swift action wind reader for +2 attack, end is 2 attacks at +8 for 1d8+1. 10 (miss), 20 for 8, sing 8.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag slashes at the first giant mole with his rapier, likely missing utterly. Undaunted, he moves past and then behind the mole, ready to flank it with Stragen. While they're still distracted, he attacks again, once with his rapier, once with his short sword. His attacks are much less haphazard, though not spectacular, as his blades dig into the beast.

Attacking Mole 1 in the surprise round as a standard action, getting a 10 on the attack. Moving from there to the space on the other side of Mole 1; as the moles are flat footed, they should be unable to take attacks of opportunity. Making two attacks using TWF with sneak-attack, as they are still flat-footed, with the rapier at 20 (natural 18, but only a 13 to confirm) and the short sword at 15. Damage on the first sneak attack would be 3, in the off-chance it hits, damage on the rapier attack is 11 (or 6 if sneak attack doesn't apply) and the short sword hits for 9 (or 6 again if no sneak attack).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

Attacking Mole 1 in the surprise round as a standard action, getting a 10 on the attack. Moving from there to the space on the other side of Mole 1; as the moles are flat footed, they should be unable to take attacks of opportunity. Making two attacks using TWF with sneak-attack, as they are still flat-footed, with the rapier at 20 (natural 18, but only a 13 to confirm) and the short sword at 15. Damage on the first sneak attack would be 3, in the off-chance it hits, damage on the rapier attack is 11 (or 6 if sneak attack doesn't apply) and the short sword hits for 9 (or 6 again if no sneak attack).

* Your first attack would indeed miss by 1.
* Correct, no attacks of opportunity since the moles are still Flat-footed
* Your rapier attack would be a normal hit/unconfirmed crit with Sneak Attack, so 11 damage to Mole 1
* Your short sword attack would be a normal hit with Sneak Attack, so another 9 damage to Mole 1, killing it

After Fleabag and Cary's turns:

pre:
Giant Mole 1
HP 0/13
DEAD

Giant Mole 2
HP 5/13

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Yelling wildly, Stragen crashes into the mole's tender hindquarters, weapons outstretched.

Srragen moves to flank with Fleabag, then uses Swift Claws to strike with both weapons. Rapier hits with a 22 for 13 damage, putting the mole down.

"Ha! Haha! WOO!" Stragen is jubilant at his success. "Mole...the most dangerous game."

Bleu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 30, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

"Ha! This is much better than hunting alone!"
Still humming, now more calmly, she flops over to the moles, pulls out a fairly mean looking knife, and starts butchering.

Almost immediately, she stops, and peers further down the tunnel.
"Wait... perhaps there are more and our quest is not yet complete?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Both moles are slain quickly, but not soon after you hear footsteps coming your way, along with the slight 'clink' of equipment. Quite a number of someones or somethings are coming!

Updated map to follow - we're still technically in combat and in rounds, although I'll rule that:

* Agni, you get to take movement to adjust yourself relative to your current position on the map
* Cary, you also get to take movement, since you said you beelined to the mole corpses to butcher them, and your Stamina recovers
* Stragen, you get to recover your spent maneuver

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary instantly goes quiet, staring down the tunnel.
"More villains?"

10' double move directly south.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Map update after Cary's 2-square movement:

The black squares are bottomless pits.

Turn order:

1. Agni still gets to make just a Movement Action as a hold-over from the 1 round dealing with the moles
2. Then all four of you get to take a normal turn each. I'll rule that if you roll an Initiative higher than 12, you get to attack their Flat-footed AC.
3. Then the goblins
4. Then it cycles normally

Pertinent monster stats:
pre:
Lesser Goblin
HP 11/11
AC 13, Touch AC 12, Flat-footed AC 12
Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2, CMD 13

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cary

Cary stops, then grins widely. Very, very widely.
"Those must be goblins!! Yee! And we're not in a city either, so we can hunt them, yes?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Agni, Aasimar Fire Mage

Agni moves up behind Cary as she begins to cut into the moles with a certain, oddly disturbing, focus.

Move to square just one to the north west of Cary.
Initiative 1d20+3 6 not a very good start so far orokos.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Stragen

"Time to teach these goblins a lesson...they'll NEVER FORGET." Stragen looks around hopefully to see how this line was received before shrugging his shoulders and charging the nonplussed goblins.

Clearly the goblins appreciated it, since Stragen gets the drop on them with 13 initiative. Stragen will move 30 feet and use Swift Claws again to stab Lesser Goblin 2 in the face. Whiffs with the rapier on a 9, hits with the kukri on a 16, hitting for 12 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fleabag moves with great alacrity, stepping past Stragen to attack Goblin 1 with his rapier, missing utterly.

Moving thirty feet past the pit and up to Goblin 1, getting a natural one. C'mon, Invisible Castle, I thought you liked me!

• Locked thread