Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Golden Bee posted:

100% sure I've seen "Scream Queen" before in PBTA. Maybe in the Monster of the Week Google+ group?

I posted it on my blog ages ago when it was going to be the second playbook instead of the third, so it might have gotten linked there or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I added in City of Judas and a section titled "Titles Inspired By Powered By The Apocalypse" for Blades In The Dark and Undying. Anything else I should add to the OP?

Edit: Also, is City of Judas any good? It looks a little complicated, but seems intriguing.

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 26, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Sweet, I look forward to it!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

That sounds great, exactly what I've been wanting to play and I'd love helping out!

I just finished the tv adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel and I'm desperate to play something similar!

You guys don't have PMs. Where should I send this gdoc?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verr posted:

Edit: Got it!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

I added in City of Judas and a section titled "Titles Inspired By Powered By The Apocalypse" for Blades In The Dark and Undying. Anything else I should add to the OP?
Dream Askew! That's "Inspired by" as well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tiger posted:

Dream Askew! That's "Inspired by" as well.

Alright, I added it in to the OP.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

burnettalexander @ Yahoo dot co dot UK

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Sent! I'm looking forward to your thoughts and critiques.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

Edit: Also, is City of Judas any good? It looks a little complicated, but seems intriguing.

Could I get Legacy: Life Among the Ruins added to the OP? Self-promotion and all, but I like to think it does some unique things with the AW system :D

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Could I get Legacy: Life Among the Ruins added to the OP? Self-promotion and all, but I like to think it does some unique things with the AW system :D

Sure, that's fine, I'll add it in.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Flavivirus posted:

Agreed! It's on my short list to play!

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'll be honest, reading it up for the little marketing blurb I made, made me interested in it. I got no money because of college so I won't buy it for a while, but I am curious how this generation stuff works. Care to drop some deetz?

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 28, 2015

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

I'll be honest, reading it up for the little marketing blurb I made, made me interested in it. I got no money because of college so I won't buy it for a while, but I am curious how this generation stuff works. Care to drop some deetz?

Certainly! Basically you have two playbooks - one for your family/clan and one for your character. Your character does character stuff - exploring ruins, making deals, finding strange remnants of the world before, etc. While they're doing all that you're also controlling the family as they act on a grander scale - sending out spies into other factions, working on grand engineering projects, going to war.

When you start the game it's the first generation after people emerged from their shelters and started rebuilding, and you come up with an immediate issue that needs solving - maybe winter is coming and you have no crops, or some horrible beast is stalking the night and eating your family. You build a character from out of the family to deal with the problem, and likely get tangled up in other family's problems too (as all characters have bond-like backstory with each other). Once this period's interesting issues have been resolved, you can call for the age to turn.

This advances the clock by a significant amount of time - anywhere from a decade to a few generations - and the family experiences fortunes or misfortunes according to the state it finished the age in as well as getting boosts to its stats or unlocking new moves. Then the table thinks up new challenges the homeland is facing this age, makes new characters (or uses old characters in a new playbook to show how they've changed over time) and play starts up again, now augmented by the extra abilities the family has developed and relics inherited from previous characters that let you use their abilities.

So basically the system lets you have narratives that span multiple generations while making sure each age and the characters involved remain important across the whole campaign. Does that make sense?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I may need to pick this up, mostly because it sounds a lot like what I was thinking would need to be done for a PBTA Dragon Pass Gloranth Game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

I may need to pick this up, mostly because it sounds a lot like what I was thinking would need to be done for a PBTA Dragon Pass Gloranth Game.

It'd certainly fit that style! It could work pretty well off the bat simply reskinning the playbooks, although I could see custom moves for HeroQuesting work very well :D

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
This question is for Bucnasti, but anyone who has played a good bit of Spirit of '77 should feel free to chime in:

What role is money supposed to play in the game? Characters start with various amounts, but I can't find in the book where it addresses things like paydays and whatnot. Should they be expected to manage it D&D-style, where they have to track expenditures and income? Are there moves or something associated with it that I totally missed? If one of the characters has, say, $50 on their sheet at the start, is that literally the cash they have to do that sort of thing?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

QuantumNinja posted:

This question is for Bucnasti, but anyone who has played a good bit of Spirit of '77 should feel free to chime in:

What role is money supposed to play in the game? Characters start with various amounts, but I can't find in the book where it addresses things like paydays and whatnot. Should they be expected to manage it D&D-style, where they have to track expenditures and income? Are there moves or something associated with it that I totally missed? If one of the characters has, say, $50 on their sheet at the start, is that literally the cash they have to do that sort of thing?

I wonder what prompted this question :v:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I wonder what prompted this question :v:

They just want to know how many times they can "make it rain" on top of defeated foes before they have to start picking the money back up.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

They just want to know how many times they can "make it rain" on top of defeated foes before they have to start picking the money back up.

Or I'm trying to fake a robbery to trick three gangs of bikers, and I want to know how much cash I'm playing around with. My character background is something of an international mercenary so I'm curious if I can get hold of more cash than I start with because of this.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I suppose that's why the Thang "Wealth" exists, for those who want to have a pile of cash. Rocko's got $200, he can lend it to you and that should be fine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Certainly! Basically you have two playbooks - one for your family/clan and one for your character. Your character does character stuff - exploring ruins, making deals, finding strange remnants of the world before, etc. While they're doing all that you're also controlling the family as they act on a grander scale - sending out spies into other factions, working on grand engineering projects, going to war.

When you start the game it's the first generation after people emerged from their shelters and started rebuilding, and you come up with an immediate issue that needs solving - maybe winter is coming and you have no crops, or some horrible beast is stalking the night and eating your family. You build a character from out of the family to deal with the problem, and likely get tangled up in other family's problems too (as all characters have bond-like backstory with each other). Once this period's interesting issues have been resolved, you can call for the age to turn.

This advances the clock by a significant amount of time - anywhere from a decade to a few generations - and the family experiences fortunes or misfortunes according to the state it finished the age in as well as getting boosts to its stats or unlocking new moves. Then the table thinks up new challenges the homeland is facing this age, makes new characters (or uses old characters in a new playbook to show how they've changed over time) and play starts up again, now augmented by the extra abilities the family has developed and relics inherited from previous characters that let you use their abilities.

So basically the system lets you have narratives that span multiple generations while making sure each age and the characters involved remain important across the whole campaign. Does that make sense?

That is a really cool and elegant way of handling it. The division does a great job of establishing that you are representing your character and her/his family, not just playing a character. It also ties the character into the world and grounds them in loved ones. The idea of jumping to your descendants is a great way for handling progress and growth and does something most tabletop rpgs don't encourage: the world to change immensely. By jumping forward four generations, you could go from cave people to a tribal society then even a feudal one with a large enough time jump. Unlike most games which focus on staying in a world that is static unless the PCs are involved, your game requires the world to move on its own which would make it feel more alive.

What I'm getting at is that it sounds pretty frikken cool.

Also, does anyone want me to change my descriptions in the OP? Tried my best to describe some games even if I never played them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

QuantumNinja posted:

Tracking income and outcome is out of genre. No matter what happens, your characters seem to have a few bucks in their pocket. Getting more will require going to the bank (and it being open!), or pawning aunt Edna's Elvis figurines again.

If you need money, "getting cash" should be a side-adventure, at least the first few times. After that, you can say you're tapping out the Bark-N-Woof's Petty Cash fund and go on to the next.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I know I've seen instructions to find this "gonzo" channel before, but I'm notoriously bad with the irc lingo. Is it any active, and if so, could we get an easy link in the OP?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you don't want to install a client, go to http://cgiirc.synirc.net/ type in a nickname in the upper form and #gonzo in the lower one and press Login.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Golden Bee posted:

Tracking income and outcome is out of genre. No matter what happens, your characters seem to have a few bucks in their pocket. Getting more will require going to the bank (and it being open!), or pawning aunt Edna's Elvis figurines again.

If you need money, "getting cash" should be a side-adventure, at least the first few times. After that, you can say you're tapping out the Bark-N-Woof's Petty Cash fund and go on to the next.

GB is correct, it's rare in the source material for people to not have the money to buy general things, big purchases usually take some effort beyond just waiting for your next paycheck (unless somebody has the wealth Thang). When I run the game I start everyone with the suggested starting cash at the beginning of each new story, and then only worry about it if they need something specific or try to do something outlandish. I think exactly one time players had to pool their money to buy something specific and then had to budget for the rest of the game, otherwise it's always been pretty much a non-issue

Early on we had a more abstract mechanic for money similar to Dungeon World. It was called Scratch, one Scratch was equal somewhere around $50-200, and as long as you had at least one Scratch you could always afford basic expenses like food at a restaurant, gas for your car, ammo for your gun, or a pack of Keens from the vending machine. Scratch was expended for bigger things, like bribes, equipment repairs, hospital bills and were basically a currency that could be used in moves. The Wealth Thang had the mechanical effect of you always having at least one Scratch in your pocket. If you want a more mechanical money system then feel free to use Scratch, I feel it's pretty elegant but we dropped it early on because none of our players utilized it, instead they just immediately wanted to know how many dollars they had and how much everything cost in 1970's dollars.

If you are going to us the Scratch system, here's some guidelines for costs:
A bribe to get into someplace you shouldn't normally be (a private club, a crime scene, the city records office) 1-scratch
Emergency room service and a night in the hospital 2-Scratch
A cheap gun (Saturday Night Special) with ammo 1-Scratch
A good gun with ammo 2-scratch
Monthly maintenance and gas on a sweet ride 1-Scratch
Monthly Room and board in a room 1-scratch
Monthly Room and board in an apartment/house 2-scratch
Monthly Room and board in a Sweet Penthouse pad 4-scratch
A used car 5-6 scratch
A new car 10+ scratch

Monthly Income for a regular job:
Minimum Wage (waiter, gas station attendant etc) - 2 scratch a month
Blue Collar (Factory worker, restaurant manager, mechanic etc) - 4 scratch a month
High Roller - 8+ Scratch a month

Hope that's helpful, at some point I'll write this up a bit more fully and then put it on our website as an optional rule.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Personally, Scratch sounds a lot better than having set dollar amounts.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Personally, Scratch sounds a lot better than having set dollar amounts.

I think so too, I really like the system because I hate keeping track of minutia like gold pieces and bullets, but in our plalytests all our players gravitated to real world dollars which they were much more familiar with (even with converting to 1970's dollars).
I also really liked that it could be used in conjunction with moves, I could give a player a scratch cost to a partial success, or I could even have moves that were triggered or powered by scratch. Since players weren't using it, we cut it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Clearly you need better playtesters. :v:

I've always hated counting coins, arrows/bullets, and such in RPG.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
Hey, quick dumb question about World Wide Wrestling (and by extension other PbtA games): can you only take a specific advance once, or can you take it multiple times? Like, if I wanted to take +1 to a stat twice, would that be allowed? Sorry if this is explained in the book somewhere, as I can't find it whatsoever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hummingbird James posted:

Hey, quick dumb question about World Wide Wrestling (and by extension other PbtA games): can you only take a specific advance once, or can you take it multiple times? Like, if I wanted to take +1 to a stat twice, would that be allowed? Sorry if this is explained in the book somewhere, as I can't find it whatsoever.

in AW proper you're allowed to take whichever advances are on your sheet. Sometimes this is e.g. +1 Hard and it is listed twice, then you are allowed to take it twice. If it's listed only once, you're allowed to take it only once.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

In Spirit of 77 when you level up you can take a new move, and you can only take that move once, so you can take the move that increases a stat from +1 to +2, and then later you can take the move that increases a stat from +2 to +3, once you've taken them both you can't do it again. Additionally one of the options when leveling up is to increase a stat from +0 to +1 instead of taking a new move, and you can do that as many times as you have stats at +0. It's a little cumbersome to describe but a lot clearer in practice.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

WWW allows you to pick an advance multiple times because the advance list is so short for the most part. However, the long-term campaign games where this starts to matter are having discussion on how to avoid people with all +3 stats and/or bunches of moves from other playbooks, and there's a lot of neat ideas. Personally, I go with "you can give +1 to each stat once" , then thinking about opening it up in time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A little while ago, I uncovered an old idea I wrote down to do later. It's from a long time ago and I decided to write something up. It's not that good and it's not that pretty. It also feels unfinished, but can't put my finger on why. It's an AW hack focusing on Shonen battle comics. Yeah, I know. It's also in that awkward stage where it's very similar to AW which is likely to it's own determent since it doesn't stand out. But, my idea said to work on it when JF was finished and, since I had the time and am almost done with JF, I decided to write up a draft.

The Agenda, Princples, MC Moves (called Mangaka moves), Stats, Debilities, Basic Moves, and Battle Moves (like the optional battle moves that I've never seen anyone use) have been rewritten and I made eight playbooks for it.

The eight playbooks are:
    The Avenger: Pretty much Sasuke.
    The Beast: Kurama, Zangetsu, etc. Lives inside another PC.
    The Forever Young: Goku, Luffy, etc.
    The Jobber: loving Yamcha. Just loving Yamcha.
    The Mentor: Roshi, Piccolo, etc.
    The Punk: Ichigo, Yusuke, etc.
    The Rival: Vegeta. There are others, but it's Vegeta.
    The Straight Man (as in the comedy duo trope): Bulma, Sakura, Shinnpachi.
Like I said, it isn't pretty, it's not that great, I'm probably stupid for making it, and it doesn't differentiate itself enough from AW yet (though, I have this idea of tracking harm through an Outfit like thing and making Hx into Frds), but, if anyone wants to look, it's here. Comments are enabled as always.

Edit: First off, thanks shiinto for the much needed feedback. It really help me hash things out.

Secondly, I've made a second draft of it. A few moves have been reworked, replaced and modified. Two new playbooks have been added:

The Inventor: Dr. Stein, Bulma, you get the picture.
The Tireless: On closer inspection, the Forever Young was more Luffy than Goku. The Tirless is more Goku and Rock Lee.
The Straight Man: Not knew, but it has a much tighter vision.
The Beast: Completely rewritten to work with an NPC rather than a PC for playability reasons. Treats it's host like the Driver treats it's car.

It still feels unfinished and as if something is missing. Also, it's probably still crap in many ways. If anyone wants to take a look at the second draft, you can find it here here. Comments enabled as always. Any feedback is appreciated.

Covok fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 6, 2015

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
So range tags always cause some confusion with me and my group. We've only really played Apocalypse and Dungeon World, so that's where I'm coming from. Melee tags I can work with, on equal footing you usually need to Act Under Fire/Defy Danger/whatever to get in close enough to attack them without them just wailing on you. What usually rubs everyone the wrong way is having a ranged weapon where they're definitely outside your range / inside your range but it seems like you could at least make an attempt. I imagine it could be a similar situation of just interposing some sort of other roll to address it, any one have any other ideas?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
For a Far weapon, it's AUF/DD to use it closer. Shooting someone with a sniper rifle if they're standing next to you really opens you up to some risk, just like shooting someone with a handgun in a fistfight. As for further away, AUF/DD may be appropriate, or you can always say, "yeah, there's no way you could pull that off from this distance".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

QuantumNinja posted:

For a Far weapon, it's AUF/DD to use it closer. Shooting someone with a sniper rifle if they're standing next to you really opens you up to some risk, just like shooting someone with a handgun in a fistfight. As for further away, AUF/DD may be appropriate, or you can always say, "yeah, there's no way you could pull that off from this distance".

yeah, AW doesn't really do "degrees of difficulty," but if the fiction suggests it, inserting an AUF roll is a solid way to make it happen.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Also, don't be afraid to follow the fiction - in some situations it may just not be possible to use a far weapon in close quarters.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If anyone wants to get in on a playtest for my newest PBTA game, Fellowship, Covok is organizing one here on these forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735106

Covok
May 27, 2013

gnome7 posted:

If anyone wants to get in on a playtest for my newest PBTA game, Fellowship, Covok is organizing one here on these forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735106

I was wondering if it was kosher to advertise stuff like that in relevant threads, but, yeah, I'm totally organizing one for Saturday at 7:00 PM EST. I can't give out any materials till everyone is in the game itself because of the terms of the playtest so it's a very general and easy app to make. For the record, I'm a very easygoing, improvisational GM who likes to let player's be awesome, world build, and have fun, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Also relevant info: Fellowship is very good and very fun and I really enjoyed the session I just finished running, so I'd recommend anyone interested try to get in on this.