Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Running the turn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Deep Space Engagement

Overview:

Both ships shot straight at each other, with the Federation ship rushing slightly faster. The Constitution is moving at speed 17, while the Terror is moving at 15. At this speed, the Federation ship has a turn mode of 4 to the Klingon 3, giving the latter the maneuverability advantage. (Note: Either purposely or accidentally, both captains picked the maximum speed for that particular turn mode bracket, a wise move)

The Constitution fires first, loosing a pair of photon torpedos as soon as the Weapons Officer judges that a hit is likely.

One torpedo strikes the Terror squarely in the forward shield, while the other just misses, streaking into space and exploding harmlessly in the distance. Terror's #1 shield is at 73%!

(Rolls: 3 (hits), 4 (miss))

After firing, captain Shoeless turns his ship away in an attempt to keep the range open - Captain Added Space responds to this by opening fire with all bearing weapons and launching 1 drone. Both disruptor banks, the forward phaser bank, and the right wing phaser all bear.

Disruptor fire lances around the Constitution, scoring a pair of hits to the #2 shield. Some of the damage is deflected by reinforcement energy, but a small amount gets through. Constitution shield #2 down to 92%
The main offensive phaser bank adds to the damage with 3 phaser IIs (NOTE: I erroneously labeled this bank as Phaser-Is earlier in the thread - I was thinking of the Romulan version of the ship), and the wing phaser adds one more. Constitution shield #2 down to 62%
Type 1 drone enters the map at speed 8

Firing range is 7
Disruptor rolls: 2, 5, 6, 4 (HMMH)
Phaser II rolls 1,2,3,3
After firing, Added space turns his ship away from his opponent. The ships are now moving parallel to each other, and in the opposite direction

Shortly afterward, Added Space takes an opportunity shot at Constutution's #3 shield with the right rear bank of phaser IIs and the left wing phaser (which can fire into the RR arc). The shots do little damage. Constitution Shield #3 at 90 percent.

Firing range is 7, rolls are 3, 3, and 5.

Shoeless begins to turn back toward his opponent.

As Shoeless tries to keep the range open via a series of sideslip maneuvers, Added Space uses his agility in an attempt to get behind the Federation ship.

Federation phaser capacitor is at 8/8, and there are two armed torpedo tubes. All weapons are legal to fire on impulse #1.

Klingon phaser capacity is at 2/9. All weapons are legal to fire on impulse #1.

Orders due in 48 hours.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 30, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Quick question- the cadet rulebook says you may not allocate energy to damage control teams before a shield has taken damage (page 33, bottom right). Is that something that's different in the full rules, or an error?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Quick question- the cadet rulebook says you may not allocate energy to damage control teams before a shield has taken damage (page 33, bottom right). Is that something that's different in the full rules, or an error?

It's an error on the part of myself and Added Space. It turns out I've been using that rule wrong for 15 years. As it was only one shield box, it is easy to correct.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders in, Operation: Oh God What Am I Doing Someone Help.

Edit: I keep calling my ship the Constitution in my orders, I'm sorry for any confusion. In the setup post, the text calls the Federation ship the Constitution while the token is the Republic. I'll make sure to use the right name in future orders and posts.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 30, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Sanskrit in. Hopefully it's not too vague. I know what I want to do, there's just to many possibilities to be exact about it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Orders in, Operation: Oh God What Am I Doing Someone Help.

Edit: I keep calling my ship the Constitution in my orders, I'm sorry for any confusion. In the setup post, the text calls the Federation ship the Constitution while the token is the Republic. I'll make sure to use the right name in future orders and posts.

The token was an error that I corrected in subsequent impulses - note that the Republic doesn't appear after Impulse 1.

Have to double-check the rulebook on something, back in a second.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The token was an error that I corrected in subsequent impulses - note that the Republic doesn't appear after Impulse 1.

Have to double-check the rulebook on something, back in a second.

Ahhh, okay. It's still in the beginning of the first turn resolution's post, which is what threw me off, and I guess I just sorta mentally missed it being called the Constitution through the rest of the post. The part I'm talking about is:

Gnoman posted:

The Republic is moving at speed 17, while the Terror is moving at 15.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Ahhh, okay. It's still in the beginning of the first turn resolution's post, which is what threw me off, and I guess I just sorta mentally missed it being called the Constitution through the rest of the post. The part I'm talking about is:

No it isn't. I don't know what you're talking about.

Waiting on an order clarification from Added Space, otherwise orders are legal and final.

EDIT: If you didn't get my reply email, AS, check your spam folder.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

No it isn't. I don't know what you're talking about.

Waiting on an order clarification from Added Space, otherwise orders are legal and final.

EDIT: If you didn't get my reply email, AS, check your spam folder.

Oh god, you're right. It isn't. It's already happening! Space Madness! drat those Klingons and their clever, clever mind tricks!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Email's bugging out, but the response is yes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Sorry to sound greedy but, will Turn 2 be up tonight do you think? Or can I sit on more than just the edge of my seat until tomorrow?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

USS Constitution moving at speed 0, using Tactical Maneuvers
IKV Terror moving at speed 21, Turn Mode is 4

The Constitution begins rapid maneuvering in a small area of space as the Terror speeds in for another attack run. Seeing this, Terror's captain extends his travel arc in an attempt to avoid overrunning the ship.

Seconds before the drone launched in the previous turn would have impacted, the Constitution has trapped it in a tractor beam. The Constitution's tactical maneuvering has now brought the ship into facing of the Terror, but the Weapons Officer decides that the range is too long, and holds fire.

By the time the Terror settles down for her attack run, Constitution is facing directly at her. The weapons officers of both ships settle down to a deadly waiting game, each trying to hold fire as long as possible without missing their chance to shoot.

Note: Terror has just turned, range is 8, and Terror has 6 moves remaining. The positioning is a result of following Added Space's delay-if-constitution-is-slower-than-4 order.

Constitution's WO blinks first, and opens fire with everything he has, unloading 2 Photon Torpedos and 4 Phaser 1s into the Terror. Under rule D3.41, this damage will be scored on the #2 shield.

Photon Torpedos streak out first, with one striking cleanly and the other flying wildly into space. Terror shield #2 down to 63%!

Four phaser-Is lance in, following the torpedos. The shield collapses, but holds just long enough - no weapons fire reaches the hull. Terror shield #2 DOWN!

Torpedo rolls 3, 6 (HM)
Phaser rolls 4,6,4,4

As the Terror swings to attack, simultaneously turning her downed shield from harm, Constitution turns once more to bring her unfired port phaser bank to bear. As the Terror unleashes disruptors and her forward phasers (all she had energy to fire), the Constituiton fires two Phaser-Is back.

Damage will be scored on the Constitution's #6 shield and the Terror's #6 under the same rule as above.

Constitution's phasers bite deep into the Terror, while Terror's disruptors tear deeply into the Constitution's reinforced shield, collapsing it, although it lasts just long enough to protect the hull. Terror shield #6 at 59%! Constitution shield #6 DOWN!

Constitution phaser rolls 3, 5

Terror Disruptor rolls 1,4,2,2 (HHHH)

Terror Phaser rolls 2, 2, 4

Phaser capacitor at 0/6
Constitution can not fire port phasers until Impulse 8.

Terror can not fire disruptors or forward phasers until Impulse 8. Phaser Capacitor at 0/9
Terror forward shield repairs to 80%

Orders due in 48 hours.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Sent an email with a question, titled What Does Thiiiis Button Do?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Also sent some questions, Shields Down

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

While this scenario is still going on, I've decided that the next scenario will be Gorn vs Kziniti, and I will need 2 captains for each side - both of the current players are permitted if there are not enough signups.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Put me down for Gorn if there's a shortage of players. They look fun.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders in, Operation: Blind Justice is go.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Single Threat Axis sent.

edit: Revised order set Double Threat Axis sent (the other being my stupidity). Thanks to Shoeless for being a good sport and pointing out I forgot to put energy in my sensors.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It won't affect your orders (I can just throw it into general reinforcement or damage control), but drones don't require energy. Unless you meant that 2 points to go to disruptors.

Barring any clarification on that point, ORDERS ARE FINAL.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Throw it into the reinforcement of shield #6, that's the priority. Or else, damage control.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Constitution speed 8
Terror Speed 5

Constitution immediately launches a shuttle.
Terror fires the left wing phaser-2 in an attempt to breach the downed shield and cause hull damage, but the shot fails to penetrate the general reinforcement (note: GSR covers downed shields even though they can't be directly reinforced)

Simultaneously, the Constitution fires 2 photon torpedoes and the forward phaser bank at the Terror. The heavily reinforced shield absorbs the damage, but not without weakening slightly. Terror shield 6 at 45% (for the record, that was 22 points of reinforcement, 3 points got through to the shield)

Terror phaser 2 roll: 6
Constitution photon rolls 4,2 (HH)
Constitution phaser rolls 5,3

(no image, you wouldn't be able to see the shuttle too well, and the board is otherwise exactly the same as last turn.

Impulse 2
Constitution launches a shuttle. Terror launches a drone

Impulse 4

Constitution moves forward at the same time the just-launched drone does - the tractor control officer attempts to tractor it, but fails (The drone was never at range 1 due to simultaneous movement, so the tractor was never able to engage.) A small amount of reinforcement energy (you ran out of power, so you were only able to put 4 points into GR instead of the 8 points you requested and still complete your other orders) detonates the drone early, but most of the explosion reaches the ship, savagly lashing the rear of the ship. The shuttle bay is GONE, the aft batteries are GONE, and the ship's bowling alley and gourmet restaurant (one block of 2 aft hull) is opened to space. The right warp nacelle was grazed by the explosion, destroying one box, and power feedback fused the doors on Torpedo Tube A (already fired this turn).

The Klingon weapons officer declines to fire.

Drone impact on shield 6! DAC roll 5

The shuttles move toward the Terror

(note: this was impulse 6, not 5. I made a typo in the filename)

The Terror attempts to get behind the Federation ship. As it does so, the two suicide shuttles impact on the forward shield! The explosion is almost stopped, but some of it leaks through, grazing the right warp nacelle and ventilating several training gymnasiums (3 blocks of aft hull).

DAC roll 5. Each suicide shuttle was armed with 7 points of energy for a warhead of 14 - it would have been 18 if Shoeless had put a full 9 into them, so you got off a bit lucky.

The Constitution sideslips directly behind the Terror just as the port phasers finish recharging, and fires both Port and Starboard phaser banks directly into the Terror's aft shield, collapsing it. One beam, weakened by the shield, is deflected toward the forward crew quarters (2 points of forward hull), while another completes the vaporization of the training gym (4 points of Aft Hull, it's gone now) and power overload causes a power reactor core to shut down. The last beam grazes the right warp nacelle as it cuts through the shuttle bay and aft batteries, causing overloads that burn out Disruptor A. The Terror replies with all 8 unfired phaser-2s. The shield puts up a valiant effort, stopping five of the 8 beams completely, but it fails in the end. The forward crew quarters is holed in two places, a beam grazes both nacelles and causes burnout of the remaining batteries and failure of torpedo tube B

Constitution phaser 1 rolls 1,2,3,3
DAC rolls 7,8,5

Terror Phaser 2 rolls 5,1,4,6,5,5,1,4

DAC rolls 6,5,6.

Have to cut the turn short here, will finish it later.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Gnoman posted:

and the ship's bowling alley and gourmet restaurant

Running joke in SFB, thanks to the Constitution Blueprints from Franz Joseph - the first point of damage to the Rear Hull of any Federation CA (or variant) destroys the Bowling Alley. No exceptions.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Running joke in SFB, thanks to the Constitution Blueprints from Franz Joseph - the first point of damage to the Rear Hull of any Federation CA (or variant) destroys the Bowling Alley. No exceptions.

I am aware.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I am aware.

Explaining for the audience....

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Wait a minute. We had a bowling alley? We had a bowling alley?! Oh it is on now Klingons!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The remainder of the turn was quite boring, just mechanical movement that I didn't have time for earlier.

Constitution moved away, and Terror tried to follow and stay in the rear arc of the Constitution.

Constitution's #6 shield reenergizes at 8% strength.

Terror's #2 shield reenergizes at 4% strength

Current ship status:

Constituion:
#1 100%
#2 60%
#3 90%
#4 DOWN
#5 100%
#6 8%

3 Warp Power, 4 Shuttle Bays, 4 Battery, and 2 Photon Torpedo Tubes destroyed

Terror
#1 DOWN
#2 4%
#3 100%
#4 DOWN
#5 100%
#6 45%

2 Warp Power, 2 Shuttle Bays, 1 APR, 2 Battery, and 1 Disruptor destroyed

Orders due in 48 hours

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set I said what what sent. No shock what I plan to do next.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Question sent as Fuggin Shields How Do They Work?

EDIT: Orders Tell Me What You Want What You Really Really Want sent.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 2, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

ORDERS ARE FINAL

Don't know which way this is going to go, but I'll be very surprised if the battle continues after this turn.

I'll run the turn as soon as I get the chance.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Oh, this is a great thread! I always loved SFB, but could never get any of my friends to really play it, due to it's being insanely complicated. I've still got my rulebooks lying around somewhere.

I really dug the idea of Kwinti space carriers. Not sure how effective they are, but the idea is cool.

Can you put me down as a possible Kzinti captain?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thalantos posted:

I really dug the idea of Kwinti space carriers. Not sure how effective they are, but the idea is cool.

I really hope you like keeping track of drones then. ;)

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

berryjon posted:

Drones are awesome! No idea how to really use them all that well, but lol! Failing miserably for the entertainment of other goons is kinda what LPs are all about :)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I just wanna say that I've been enjoying the heck out of this so far. Even if my captaining hasn't been the most skillful, I'm having a lot of fun. More folks should sign up for the next round, it's a blast!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Luckily for him, that's my job.

Does anyone know how to set up one of those Google Doc thingys to track signups?

Running the turn now.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Does anyone know how to set up one of those Google Doc thingys to track signups?

I think I know what you mean, and I could see about setting one up after I return from errands in 2-3 hours if no one's offered by then.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

NOTE: Looking at the cadet version of the Fed CA, I noticed two RA phaser-Is. These do not exist in the paper version of this ship, and me not using them is not an error. Just wanted to clear that up.

Terror speed 10, turn mode 2
Constitution speed 0

Impulse 1 firing (positions same as impulse 32 of last turn)

Constitution fires her starboard phaser bank at the Terror. The pitiful amount (you only had 2 points of energy for one point of reinforcement after your other orders) of general reinforcement does little to slow the beams down, and both burn cleanly into the ship. One tags the right warp nacelle damaging the engine and destroying Disruptor D, burning out the last storage battery via power surge, while the other digs into the impulse engines and left warp nacelle, causing a plasma leak that incinerates the remaining forward crew quarters.

Firing range 3.
COnstitution Phaser rolls
4,1 (ouch)
Destroyed systems: (2 F Hull, 2 Impulse, 2 Left Warp, 1 Right Warp, 1 Disruptor, 1 Battery)

Impulse 2 and 3: Constitution swings around under tactical maneuvers (using the warp maneuver earned on impulse 2 and the impulse one on #) to bring her bow facing the Terror. She fires both of her remaining torpedo tubes and the forward phaser bank. One of the torpedos fails to detonate on impact, ricocheting off into the void before exploding harmlessly at range. The other explodes on the right wing phaser, sending shrapnel into the port warp nacelle, damaging it badly. One tractor beam burns out from overload. The phasers strike less cleanly, with one beam burning out the remaining primary impulse engine (casuing overloads in the damaged Left Warp engine and burning out a phaser in the forward bank) and the other skipping off the forward phaser bank and the emergency impulse engine in the boom before grazing the left warp nacelle.

Photon Torpedo rolls:
1,6 (HM)
Phaser rolls (3,4)

Damaged systems (4 Phaser-II, 1 Tractor, 9 Left Warp Engine, 2 impulse, 1 E impulse)

Not yet out of the fight, and having braved the worst of the Constitution's fire, Terror proceeds gamely to the attack, and turns the undamaged #3 shield into position just as Constitution brings her unfired phasers into arc (note: there was some uncertainty on which direction Added Space would want me to turn in this situation (constitution turned after the Terror moved, so either direction would have fulfilled his "Get behind them" priority), so I chose the option that put a stronger shield in the line of fire. With his tactical maneuvering, avoiding his FA was impossible) and fires. Terror shield #3 at 53%

Terror continues to loop around, with COnstitution able to keep track, although the range is opening.

On impulse 29, Terror's Weapons officer decides that he has the best shot he's going to get, and fires 3 Phaser-II into Constitution's damaged #2 shield (under 3.41 again), but two of them miss completely and the last only grazes the shield. COnstitution shield #2 at 58%

Phaser II rolls (5,5, 3)

On impulse 32, Terror keeps her #3 shield between her and the Constitution.

Terror shield 1 reenergizes at 3%
Terror shield 4 reenergizes at 7%

Constituition shield 4 reenergizes at 5%

Current ship status:

Constituion:
#1 100%
#2 58%
#3 90%
#4 5%
#5 100%
#6 8%

3 Warp Power, 4 Shuttle Bays, 4 Battery, and 2 Photon Torpedo Tubes destroyed

Terror
#1 3%
#2 4%
#3 53%
#4 7%
#5 100%
#6 45%

Right rear phaser bank unable to fire until impulse 5.

12 Warp Power, 5 Impulse, 3 Phaser II, 1 tractor, 2 Shuttle Bays, 1 APR, 3 Battery, and 2 Disruptor destroyed

I forgot to remove it from the screenshots, but Terror's old drone ran out of fuel, and it launched another on impulse 32.

Bad turn for the Terror. I'm going to point out that with 18 warp and 3 APR left, you have enough power to move at 18 with shields up, and the Constitution will only be able to reach speed 10 this turn. That gives you a chance to run if you want to.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I resign. There's no point in continuing. Shoeless figured out how to make the Constitution effectively unbeatable in this fight.

For the record, you turned the wrong way.

Someone feel free to correct me, but the Constitution seems to make a better station then a ship. Just sit in one spot, pump engine power into the shields, and shoot torpedoes all day long. With five turns a ship can never get behind you. and even if they sit on top of you you can pound away more effectively with your phasers. I don't see any way I could have won this one.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 2, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Added Space posted:

I resign. There's no point in continuing. Shoeless figured out how to make the Constitution effectively unbeatable in this fight.

For the record, you turned the wrong way.

"Sit and Spin" is an issue, especially on a tight map like this. And if you think that's bad, wait until the rules for ships with cloaking devices come into play.

I've passed the results of this game over to the SFB board, and asked for their input. I'll pass it along here when it comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I guess I just couldn't get over my intuition that sitting in one place should be a tactical weakness, not the best possible strategy.

I guess you're supposed to make a big circle at range 9 or more. That was my first impulse, but then if the Constitution puts on any speed at all they can easily close to under range 8 where they have the advantage.

• Locked thread