Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
This is fantastic, count me in. Haven't ever played before, I'd like to go as Klingon but as that's taken I suppose I'll put on my best Kirk face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like what I want to do is avoid being in the D7's front arc as it can bring 3x Phaser 1s and 4x Disruptors to bear from that angle.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Just to be clear, to do this we'll be needing to read through the free rulebook to get the basics so we know how to allocate energy, declare shooting, etc, correct?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Answers and useful information

Alright, thank you very much. I'll get to reading then! I take it the Cadet ships you mention are in the free rules so we can find them and take a look at them there?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
---Record of diplomatic attempt between the USS Constituion and the IKV Terror---

(USS) Hey Klingons, get off our space lawn!
(IKV) Nuh uh! You get off our space lawn!
(USS) No way, YOU get off OUR space lawn!
(IKV) NO! One last time, USS Constitution, get OFF our space lawn!
(USS) This is an act of war! Remove yourself from the Federation's space lawn at once or we WILL open fire!
(IKV) Then what are you waiting for human? Fire away!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Neutral Zone is the Organian's Space Lawn, you guys are in a lot of trouble when they realize what you're doing. :colbert:

Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of intergalactic Ding Dong Ditch, okay?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
To confirm, I have two Warp Engines producing 15 power each, +4 from Impulse and +2 from APR for a total of 36 power? I know you'll be handling the exact allocation, but I'd like to know how much I have to work with while planning my orders and setting priorities, if that's alright.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

No, you have 4 APR. The D6 (you're flying a D7) is missing the wing phasers, and has the reduced APR output when compared to the D7. You also have 3 Batteries, compared to the Federation's 4.

Pssssssst, I'm the Federation captain, Added Space is the Klingon warmaster.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also, are we using shuttles and tractor beams in this scenario Gnoman?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Both are available, but overloaded weapons and proximity photons are NOT.

Okay, so my Photon Torpedoes are only really gonna be accurate out to 8 hexes, according to the OP? I'm gonna grab a quick dinner and then write up and mail my orders.

EDIT: Boringly named Turn 1 Constitution Orders sent.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 30, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

You have excess power and haven't given me a priority of where to put it.

Edit: You are the BLUE ship, not the black one. Your movement orders cannot be fulfilled as written based on your position.

I feel like a moron. Emailing now with fix. Subject is Turn 1 Constitution Orders Fixed

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Quick question- the cadet rulebook says you may not allocate energy to damage control teams before a shield has taken damage (page 33, bottom right). Is that something that's different in the full rules, or an error?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders in, Operation: Oh God What Am I Doing Someone Help.

Edit: I keep calling my ship the Constitution in my orders, I'm sorry for any confusion. In the setup post, the text calls the Federation ship the Constitution while the token is the Republic. I'll make sure to use the right name in future orders and posts.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 30, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The token was an error that I corrected in subsequent impulses - note that the Republic doesn't appear after Impulse 1.

Have to double-check the rulebook on something, back in a second.

Ahhh, okay. It's still in the beginning of the first turn resolution's post, which is what threw me off, and I guess I just sorta mentally missed it being called the Constitution through the rest of the post. The part I'm talking about is:

Gnoman posted:

The Republic is moving at speed 17, while the Terror is moving at 15.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

No it isn't. I don't know what you're talking about.

Waiting on an order clarification from Added Space, otherwise orders are legal and final.

EDIT: If you didn't get my reply email, AS, check your spam folder.

Oh god, you're right. It isn't. It's already happening! Space Madness! drat those Klingons and their clever, clever mind tricks!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Sorry to sound greedy but, will Turn 2 be up tonight do you think? Or can I sit on more than just the edge of my seat until tomorrow?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Sent an email with a question, titled What Does Thiiiis Button Do?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Put me down for Gorn if there's a shortage of players. They look fun.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders in, Operation: Blind Justice is go.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Wait a minute. We had a bowling alley? We had a bowling alley?! Oh it is on now Klingons!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Question sent as Fuggin Shields How Do They Work?

EDIT: Orders Tell Me What You Want What You Really Really Want sent.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 2, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I just wanna say that I've been enjoying the heck out of this so far. Even if my captaining hasn't been the most skillful, I'm having a lot of fun. More folks should sign up for the next round, it's a blast!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Does anyone know how to set up one of those Google Doc thingys to track signups?

I think I know what you mean, and I could see about setting one up after I return from errands in 2-3 hours if no one's offered by then.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
One thing I want to say is that I really did have trouble figuring out how to move well. Because I needed to plan every turn's movement in advance, while I could set some conditional stuff, I think I would have done Stop: Phaser Time a lot less had I been able to go impulse by impulse. I realize how ungainly that would be to do in this format and am by no means saying we should, but if it's something that may require addressing and finding a solution for with this format of playing the game. Nowhere near experienced to know how good an idea this is, but maybe being speed 0 gives shots against you a -1 on the hit roll/phaser damage chart?

Gnoman posted:

the Gorn CA has 8 Phaser 1s (1 FA+L, 2 LS, 1 L+RA, 1 R+RA, 2 LS 1 R+FA

I think one of those "2 LS" is a typo'd 2 RS? Either that or they plan to be a Specter Gunship IIIIIIIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

I also have a couple of questions:

For Plasma Torpedo ECCM, you mention they can use the firing ship's ECCM rating, being considered guided for that purpose. Does the guiding ship's ECCM stack with or overlap the Plasma Torp's innate 2 ECCM?

Why would you not use Type 3 drones over Type 1 or 2? They're as fast as a Type 2, has a huge fuel capacity, and do the same damage with the same resilience. Is there something I've overlooking that makes them less desirable? Cause if you can do a 1:1 trade for Type 1 to Type 3, I'm not seeing why I ever wouldn't.

There's a limit to the amount of energy you can put into ECM, up to sensor rating. Is there a similar limit to ECCM?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Yes. If you look at my earlier post, I provided links.

I'm not seeing a link to the Kzinti cruiser in the scenario setup post. The Gorn CA is linked, but not the Kzinti.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

Looking forward to glorious victory/ignominous defeat!

Same here! Good luck, and I believe the Kzinti SSD that's now in Gnoman's post explicitly states that each one can control up to 8 at a time, and launch one per drone rack per turn. So, you can put out and sustain quite a few missiles! Gonna need to learn more about these Wild Weasel shuttles, methinks....

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Which cruiser am I controlling, the Serpenticon or the Sauricon?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

I took a look at the SSD and I didn't see anything saying anything like that. I vaguely remember from the actual rules I haven't read in a decade that Kzinti get to control more than their sensor rating of drones....

Yeah, just remember you basically can't do anything if you've got a WW active :)

Doesn't say how many it can control, you're right. I must have imagined that.

And yeah, Wild Weasel means slow going and no weapons. Still nice to have one ready to go as an emergency measure if your missiles get too close. It only has to lure them a bit away to open range and let the ship turn to bring new weapons to bear and hopefully shoot them down.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Scatterpack #1: Launch facing E; move E then Sideslip F.

So, despite being launched like a seeking weapon, it is capable of sideslipping? Is that something only shuttles can do, or can drones/torpedoes do it as well? Also, can you specify targets for each drone on board, or do they all go after one target?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Gorn Question sent to ask something.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders Gorn Buddies! sent.

Edit: In an embarrassing moment, I have once again mistaken my ship for another. Turn orders re-sent as I Am So Sorry, I will try to do better about remembering which ship is which Gnoman, I apologize.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

(did you guys coordinate this?)

Yup. Teamwork!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2015

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

I'm coordinating with myself. Too bad I'm a terrible team player, always running off and doing my own thing.

Damnit Thalantos, you're a loose cannon! Turn in your gun and your badge!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

Hey chief, someone's gotta make the hard choices!

So help me Thalantos, if you don't step in line you won't just be off the case, you'll be off the force!

Orders Turn 1 Part 2 in.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Question sent as Query #2

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders Turn 2 Part 1 sent!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Added Space posted:

If you're shooting missiles at us you're doing decently, I think.

This. You definitely had the upper hand in the first turn, since you have Drones that you can sic on us while our Phasers couldn't fire. Now we've got them powered up, but you've got the ability to keep the pressure on along with slightly better maneuverability. You definitely have me and Added working hard to figure out how to avoid taking drones to the face so far!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Orders Turn 2 Part 2 sent.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Xenocides posted:

Phaser energy holds over and can be used for any phaser.

Battery power can be used at most any time. There is actually a detailed sequence of play for this game. Last time I saw it it was about five pages long but yiu can reinforce shields at any time and can specifically reinforce as you are hit.

I believe that's only with battery power however, as which shield is being specifically reinforced is determined when you spend the energy. So if you allocate energy at the beginning of the turn from impulse/warp/APR, you decide then which facing's being reinforced. That's what I got from the Cadet's Handbook at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Are any of the Sauricon's phasers still charged from Turn 2, ie did not fire?

• Locked thread