Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I pretty much know nothing, but I'm willing to step up as the Klingon commander. drat the torpedoes and full speed ahead! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Looking over the rules, drones are complete poo poo. A D7 can control six at once according to the rules, and has two launchers, but can only fire one per turn (that is, one per 32 rounds). They move at one hex per round and can be destroyed with 4 damage. They are no more difficult to hit then a full-sized ship. A Phaser on a Federation Cruiser has a 2/3 chance of doing 4 damage at range 5 and is certain to do 4 damage at range one. Drones can also be stopped by tractor beams. One of the first exercises used to practice the system is to destroy four of them heading towards you at once.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Hey, no kibitzing. :( I'll gently caress up just fine on my own, thanks.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

berryjon posted:

Hold on, the basic D7 has F-racks, not A-Racks.

Actually, are you using the Cadet's Handbook?

Yeah. I figured I'd just give my orders in terms of commander's intent and let the OP figure out how to cram them sideways through the rules.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Questions: How much energy does a D7 have to allocate? I couldn't seem to find a number. What our initial speed? Do we start with shields up or do we have to pump energy in to fill up the blocks?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Unwelcome Guests sent. Hopefully all the contingencies are understandable.

e: Order set Unwelcome Guests 2: Flight to Freedom sent with less broken formatting, sorry.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 29, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Sanskrit in. Hopefully it's not too vague. I know what I want to do, there's just to many possibilities to be exact about it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Email's bugging out, but the response is yes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Also sent some questions, Shields Down

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Single Threat Axis sent.

edit: Revised order set Double Threat Axis sent (the other being my stupidity). Thanks to Shoeless for being a good sport and pointing out I forgot to put energy in my sensors.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Throw it into the reinforcement of shield #6, that's the priority. Or else, damage control.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 30, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set I said what what sent. No shock what I plan to do next.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I resign. There's no point in continuing. Shoeless figured out how to make the Constitution effectively unbeatable in this fight.

For the record, you turned the wrong way.

Someone feel free to correct me, but the Constitution seems to make a better station then a ship. Just sit in one spot, pump engine power into the shields, and shoot torpedoes all day long. With five turns a ship can never get behind you. and even if they sit on top of you you can pound away more effectively with your phasers. I don't see any way I could have won this one.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I guess I just couldn't get over my intuition that sitting in one place should be a tactical weakness, not the best possible strategy.

I guess you're supposed to make a big circle at range 9 or more. That was my first impulse, but then if the Constitution puts on any speed at all they can easily close to under range 8 where they have the advantage.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
If you're looking for more captains, I'll team up with Shoeless as Gorns.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Can you describe scatter packs in a little more detail please? How long do they take to prep? Can they flush their racks immediately after launching or do they need some time to get clear? Would there be a point in giving the order "immediately shoot down any shuttles that launch" or would that be a waste of phaser shots?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set SAR sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Question Inbound sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set Dodge! sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Order set D Fence! clap clap sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Thalantos posted:

This is the first time I've ever played the Kzinti against an actual person and not just playing solitaire scenarious. It was a long time ago.

I really don't know what I'm doing, lol.

If you're shooting missiles at us you're doing decently, I think.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Orders Guard dog sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Question Probe sent.

I can't help but feel that one of the two sides has made a severe tactical error here. I hope it's not us.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Orders One hell of a firefight sent.

edit: With a small followup.

edit 2: And a correction. Rules! :argh:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I never said to overload the torpedoes, I actually didn't want to so I would punch through the shields. I mean it's not a huge problem, I should have been more specific.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Orders Missile Sponge sent. Like I have options at this point.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, sorry guy :(

You should be sorry you did not destroy me! :hitler:

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm having a lot of fun.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
At this point I would hail the enemy and offer to let them surrender in exchange for not finishing off Ravager. According to various laws of war we could legally destroy them, even if they surrendered and the other ship was running. However, if they're not receptive to a surrender of both ships I guess we'd finish blowing up Ravager then start rescue efforts.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
To comment, I could have been a little more aggressive with my phasers, but I was the one under fire so I pushed everything I could into defending. We also should not have used enveloping fire, it seems like a straight injection of 30 damage would have caused deeper wounds then 6 shots of ~10 damage. It looks like enveloping fire is more for long-range harassment to counter strength loss due to range.

It also seemed, Thalantos, that you undervalued the role of specialized shuttles. Most of our contingency planning was built around you launching a scatter pack. I think launching one on turn 2 at range 9 (ideally in a prolonged salvo to minimize weasel influence) is just about the best move. You certainly seemed surprised by the emergency WW which cut your drones' damage by about 80%. As it was you were stuck in our ideal range and we could easily burn one of your ships.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, we couldn't get weapons to bear.

Honestly, unless both ships turned off fire control we'd have to destroy the Devourer instead of capturing it. We'd have to chase Ravager to make sure it didn't shoot at the derelicts, and we couldn't risk Devourer taking vengeful potshots while our backs were turned. That's just me :spergin: a bit, so yeah, that result is fine.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Sudden betrayal! Going to the sneaky Romulan side.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
For people who aren't keeping track:

The Kzinti are cat-people, a crossover species from Larry Niven when he wrote an episode of the animated series. They have a troubled alliance with the Federation.

The Lyrans are a different type of cat-people allied with the Klingons.

The Hydrans are scary looking methane breathers who were conquered by the Lyrans at one point and want some revenge.

Romulans are space elves, the xenophobic isolationist kind more then the tree-hugging kind.

Gorns are lizard people who can tank cannon shells.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Shoeless posted:

How scary are we talking here?

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Hydran

Giant teeth and claws and they look like their body is made up of tentacles. Also He-Man battle harness style clothing.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It was jumping too far in the deep end, to be honest. I tried to drop mines on you guys but you were too fast, I didn't anticipate the light cavalry tactics, I was getting really frustrated. Evidently not as frustrated as some... I didn't see a way you could win since we could cloak and peck at you forever.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Now that you can tell me - my plan was to split up, use cloak to hide, surround them at different angles and pop up and down. With the cloak up almost all the time, how would they find me to even hit me? What's the best anti-cloak strategy?

e: Exact words:

quote:

Case BOMB: If the Hydrans are moving speed 7 or faster.

Move on an intercept course. Kick out 2 mines dead ahead of them at such a time as their current movement will move them into activation range shortly after I leave it. Set mines to activate for destroyers or larger. After laying mines use whatever tricks are applicable to start moving away at best speed. If setting mines in front of them starts to look impossible, or the Hydrans suddenly stop, move to case TORPEDO.

Setting mines in front of them was not impossible, and they did not stop. You ignored the IF condition and the CASE system, which were written as separate plans, and decided the intent was to mash them together into a single plan.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 12, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Klingon, I want another shot at those drat Feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Seeing as how I don't have a rulebook and just started an LP of my own, I think I'm going to withdraw. Thank you Gnoman for showing me this interesting and complex game.

• Locked thread