Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

blue squares posted:

I cannot believe I am typing this, but the butterflies' motivations make no sense.

Not only that, but butterflies have literally no way of hurting a person. They don't even have jaws to bite you.
So maybe they are alien butterflies. See, now it all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Under the Dome - The Butterflies' Motivations Make No Sense

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Illinois Smith posted:

Also: Yes TV writers, I totally buy that these two people were high school classmates in the late 80s. No problem there at all.

Dwight Yoakam is 58, Cahill is more than 20 years younger.

This show would have been so much better if Dwight Yoakam was just playing Doyle Hargraves. "HEY! HEYYY! I TOLD YOU THREE TIMES ALREADY, THE LAW'S ON MY SIDE! I PLAY CARDS WITH SHERIFF THREE DOG, CHIEF'A PO-LICE! *kicks Dale in the rear end* GO HOME AND PRACTICE BARBIE, YA TUNIN' SONOFABITCH"

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Even reading this thread ahead of time couldn't prepare me for how batshit off-the-rails insane this episode was. None of this poo poo made any sense whatsoever. Welcome back, Dome!

I like how Junior got shot in the shoulder, and despite not cleaning/dressing the wound, not retrieving the bullet and partaking in a lot of strenuous activity, it amounted to little more than a ketchup stain on his shirt.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Tonight's promos are promising EVERYTHING IS REVEALED. Riiiiiight.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Brocktoon posted:

I like how Junior got shot in the shoulder, and despite not cleaning/dressing the wound, not retrieving the bullet and partaking in a lot of strenuous activity, it amounted to little more than a ketchup stain on his shirt.
pffft Julia got shot in the shoulder AND had a metal rod driven through her leg a week later. Big Jim got shot in the shoulder and all it took to get over it was a stiff drink and a bit of yelling at a dog.

Big Jim really should have kept the hammer he killed Science Lady with, that thing could be the deadliest weapon in town.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kammat posted:

Tonight's promos are promising EVERYTHING IS REVEALED. Riiiiiight.

Big Jim was a good guy all along!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Paladinus posted:

Big Jim was a good guy all along!
He's been a bad guy for like three episodes now if you count last season's finale, I'm pretty sure we're in for another face turn tonight.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, alternate reality + special people need to be protected.

Big Jim takes the dog to live alone on an island.

Forehead girl continues to be terrible.

CSI woman is now running the show to make them all "what we need them to be"

I assume they're in space or something given the last shot. Never sure with this show.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
For getting shot, that is one clean rear end tshirt on Junior.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loving love it when characters say "none of this makes any sense." Are the writers being tongue in cheek or just oblivious?

Looks like Jim's a good guy again.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 3, 2015

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
This is rapidly turning into V.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Of all the people to not indiscriminately shoot.

New character begins speaking. I suspect he'll be dead very soon.

I wonder what Dean Norris thinks every time he says the word cocoon.

Joe the computer geek is now a trapper. I guess he googled how to do it on his magic Windows tablet

blue squares fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 3, 2015

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Ohmygod this show is so DUMB. How the gently caress did I think Whispering Pines was remotely comparable? That show's a Beethoven masterpiece compared to this thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
After the past three weeks, with the snow and the storms and the red rain and whatever the hell, what game would be left to trap? Rats? Mice? That one stray dog?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Man, how come no one is talking about how its barely been 20 days since the dome dropped on us? I still don't need to refill my meds"

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Mirage posted:

After the past three weeks, with the snow and the storms and the red rain and whatever the hell, what game would be left to trap? Rats? Mice? That one stray dog?

Why didn't they think of that during the 5 or more other episodes where there's been a crisis over food?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I like how they basically copped to ripping off The Matrix, right down to referencing the alternate world as "the Matrix".

Also we get another stretchy-arm off scene stabbing courtesy of Marg Helgenberger

lol @ this show

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

blue squares posted:

I loving love it when characters say "none of this makes any sense." Are the writers being tongue in cheek or just oblivious?
This season's main plot is actually the first time in three seasons that the show kinda makes sense.

- Anthropologist lady found the egg, got cocooned and downloaded the Dome juice
- Dome slams down
- Dome brings Melanie back to life who has been dead in the Lake for 25 years but she also downloaded the Dome juice in the late 80s
- Dome uses Melanie to get our main characters who are more or less running the town cocooned but Jim interrupts before it can fully download the Dome juice into them

There's still lots of holes in the plot, like how could the kids and Julia all carry the egg around for two seasons without being affected. Or why did the Dome try to kill them with new plagues every day for the last three weeks if all it wants is to assimilate them (though at least some of that that can be explained with trying to lure them down into the cave).

On the whole though I actually like what they're doing this season, at least now it's a somewhat clear body snatcher type story instead of the hodgepodge of crisis-of-the-week and PINK STARS MONARCHS 4-8 HANDS OF THE DOME bullshit during the last two seasons. Big Jim keeping the video of egg-hunter lady getting Dome-juiced to himself and loving off to his little island instead of just showing it to Julia is still dumb and convenient.

Other stuff:
- Oh great, it's another Joe/Norrie/____ love triangle and now Julia and Barbie have one too
- So that entire hoarder basement is already down to one crate of cans?
- I loving called it, Big Jim face turn after three episodes. I'm glad someone at least remembered that he hammered people to death at the end of last season. Keep working on that short-term memory, townspeople.
- I like how three weeks ago everyone came together as soon as Reverend Idiot set that fire at the chief's house. Now the Rennie Estate goes up in a blazing inferno and nobody gives a poo poo.
- Joe: WHY DID YOU KILL MY CUTE LITTLE PIG?
Norrie: WHY DID YOU TRAP IT IF YOU WEREN'T GONNA KILL IT?

Kammat posted:

For getting shot, that is one clean rear end tshirt on Junior.
His wound's healed too, just like Hacker Guy's eyes got better. The Dome juice / cocoons have healing propertie (and appearantly they're pretty good washing machines too).

ElectricSheep posted:

I like how they basically copped to ripping off The Matrix, right down to referencing the alternate world as "the Matrix".
Exposition Joe finds out about the body snatcher plot, exclaims "my god, this is just like The Faculty.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ElectricSheep posted:

Well, remember that classic episode of Twilight Zone that I'm going to spoil for the audience real quick here?

Seriously, though, usage of the word Matrix to mean simulated reality comes from Doctor Who and was since used by many sci-fi writers. :goonsay:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How did Dean Norris literally go straight from the best-written show on TV to the worst-written?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Paladinus posted:

Well, remember that classic episode of Twilight Zone that I'm going to spoil for the audience real quick here?

Seriously, though, usage of the word Matrix to mean simulated reality comes from Doctor Who and was since used by many sci-fi writers. :goonsay:

Oh, this is absolutely true and The Matrix is a super derivative (and entertaining) movie.

I would love to give the writers that much credit, except that Exposition Joe literally said "(This is) like that movie 'The Matrix'" and then called it the Matrix again in the next scene.

Illinois Smith posted:

Exposition Joe finds out about the body snatcher plot, exclaims "my god, this is just like The Faculty.

Now this is something I'd expect to see. In fact, I demand it. Make it happen, writers.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hey instead of taking the boom box out of the house to party let's just move the weeks-old dead body instead!

That was just so, so weird. I mean I know the entire show is poo poo, but that was my biggest head scratcher this episode for some reason. At least the other weird poo poo seems to advance some sort of plot thing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Hey instead of taking the boom box out of the house to party let's just move the weeks-old dead body instead!
Pretty sure that's the hoarder widow that was murdered by Big Jim in last season's finale, so the body would only be 1-2 days old.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

- I like how three weeks ago everyone came together as soon as Reverend Idiot set that fire at the chief's house. Now the Rennie Estate goes up in a blazing inferno and nobody gives a poo poo.
They've all been changed by their time in the cocoon pods. How did you miss that huge plot point.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 4, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I didn't miss it, just forgot that there were more people in the pods than our main characters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Am I the only person bothered by the budding romance between Missus Forehead and Hacker McGeek? She's 16 for God's sake. 17 if you count the matrix year, which you shouldn't on the account of it being stupid poo poo. The guy's probably in his mid-twenties (old enough to buy alcohol, so at least 21) and so far he's got her drunk once and they've almost had sex, which is by any standard not quite right.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Paladinus posted:

Am I the only person bothered by the budding romance between Missus Forehead and Hacker McGeek? She's 16 for God's sake. 17 if you count the matrix year, which you shouldn't on the account of it being stupid poo poo. The guy's probably in his mid-twenties (old enough to buy alcohol, so at least 21) and so far he's got her drunk once and they've almost had sex, which is by any standard not quite right.

No, it's definitely creepy and a clear indication that the writers don't think. That guy went from generic hot tech geek stock CBS character to sexual predditor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

clown shoes posted:

No, it's definitely creepy and a clear indication that the writers don't think. That guy went from generic hot tech geek stock CBS character to sexual predditor.

What alternate reality are you living in, where computer geeks can't be creeps and pervs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXpf-Lt9zKc

Or for 'real world' examples just visit E/N for some eye-opening revelations.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 5, 2015

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I haven't watched season 2 yet and it sounds like there's a lot of retarded poo poo I missed, gonna have to do a hate-binge soon I guess.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I like how the show brings up a housing shortage then immediately brings up the food house which should be empty otherwise, but fail to connect the two. Also everyone is living in tents while being surrounded by buildings that should be empty, like just because something is an office building or store you can't use it as housing I guess.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The way Dean Norris delivers "Sounds pretty strange" is how he should read every line.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Kammat posted:

This is rapidly turning into V.

You shut your dirty mouth! V had Anna. Anna was amazing. Ergo V was amazing. This show has nothing in terms of redeemable qualities. Unless you like butterflies whose motivations don't make sense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Caryna posted:

You shut your dirty mouth! V had Anna. Anna was amazing. Ergo V was amazing. This show has nothing in terms of redeemable qualities. Unless you like butterflies whose motivations don't make sense.

The dog is pretty good so far. Maybe too good for this show.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Illinois Smith posted:

- I loving called it, Big Jim face turn after three episodes. I'm glad someone at least remembered that he hammered people to death at the end of last season. Keep working on that short-term memory, townspeople.

Uh... that was a YEAR ago in cocoon time to those people.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So why did the new alien lady kill the old alien girl, after she just told her to kill the reporter lady, and was in the process of doing so?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Caryna posted:

False

This is the sole redeeming quality.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
This show is incredibly stupid and plot-holey, but I continue to watch it anyways. Thanks, thread for telling me that new episodes are on.

And yes, I agree that it's like V as well. I hope this one doesn't get canned, too, though...

I'm hoping the dog is an alien too... At least that would be somewhat of a (good?) twist.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
This is the best response to characters and storylines not making sense I've ever seen. Just make it so nothing needs to make sense, because it's all happening in five different timelines/alternate realities! That's not a plothole, that's on purpose! :regd08:

And I loved that Barbie says in the intro "maybe it'll take us to an alternate dimension" when nothing has happened yet and there's no indication that that might happen. This goddamn show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This show is garbage, and yet, I can't stop watching.

• Locked thread