Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Within the last few weeks, I started watching Simpsons episodes on FXX at night. Now, people seem to think the show got really bad in the later seasons, but I think the quality is about the same to be honest. I've caught a few classic episodes and they were just as full of celebrity guests and gags as the newer ones I've seen.

So what's up with that?? Don't hate on new Simpsons just because it's cool, because chances are you haven't actually seen any new episodes in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Woah, when did it get cool to not like the simpsons?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Watch the poochie episode. It explains it perfectly

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Skeleton Ape posted:

Woah, when did it get cool to not like the simpsons?

Maybe I just have hipster friends but it seems to be the popular opinion these days.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Volume posted:

Watch the poochie episode. It explains it perfectly

Is it about a dog?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah they really haven't changed much.

I mean, the way they do the animation has changed, but that's just because just about everyone is doing it that way now.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Maybe I just have hipster friends but it seems to be the popular opinion these days.

simpsons are anti-feminist because marge is a homemaker. and classist because the family survives on a single income. my work here is done peace bros

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
I like em but I haven't watched an ep in awhile. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Within the last few weeks, I started watching Simpsons episodes on FXX at night. Now, people seem to think the show got really bad in the later seasons, but I think the quality is about the same to be honest. I've caught a few classic episodes and they were just as full of celebrity guests and gags as the newer ones I've seen.

So what's up with that?? Don't hate on new Simpsons just because it's cool, because chances are you haven't actually seen any new episodes in years.

Wasn't there literally a thread dozens of pages long refuting this on the front-page of GBS like a week ago?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

the simpsons movie was really good

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

Wasn't there literally a thread dozens of pages long refuting this on the front-page of GBS like a week ago?

There's been a bunch of Simpsons threads on GBS.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bart, i'm piss

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Now, people seem to think the show got really bad in the later seasons, but I think the quality is about the same to be honest.

please don't comment about cartoons while sporting an anime av. What the gently caress do you know.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

please don't comment about cartoons while sporting an anime av. What the gently caress do you know.

I know a whole bunch of things.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

I like when Marge calls Homer "Homie"

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
a pastime of mine is ploughing the op's mum feverishly and then cuddling up and watching a few episodes together.

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!
My favorite episode was the one where marge get mad at homer but homer is actually good so marge makes sex to him and then the clown meets his father.

Aineris
Oct 10, 2005
How dare these black people not want to get murdered!? Don't they know it could expose me to COVID!?
My thought about the simpsons is that lisa needs braces

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

on the whole i think south park might be better than the simpsons. they use cg to better effect, they don't have lisa episodes, they stay current better and they never sold out as hard

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
bobs burgers is the new simpsons, it has coherent plots and doesn't rely on guest appearances or outdated pop culture references

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

ColoradoCleric posted:

bobs burgers is the new simpsons, it has coherent plots and doesn't rely on guest appearances or outdated pop culture references

i stopped watching after that insanely terrible two part musical

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!

chaosbreather posted:

i stopped watching after that insanely terrible two part musical

musicals killed futurama and contributed to family guy becoming even shittier

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Aineris posted:

My thought about the simpsons is that lisa needs braces

a little late for Lenny!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why does every show do musicals now

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

IllCamino posted:

musicals killed futurama and contributed to family guy becoming even shittier

agreed

but even so, at least seth macfarlane can sing. h jon benjamin can't, at all. not a single note. he's croaking out these terrible lyrics which the show uses instead of plot or jokes or anything and i start off thinking its some kind of parody of terrible musical episodes but then he keeps going and there's a part 2 and i realise that after this point i can't watch the show any more

like if you walk in on your girlfriend just railing your terminally ill dog with a strap on, which she explains she stole it from your parent's house that time when you took her to dinner there and you realise that it probably isn't going to work out

IllCamino
Oct 9, 2010

You poke 'em on!

chaosbreather posted:

at least seth macfarlane can sing. h jon benjamin can't, at all. not a single note.
I concur. Seth has a great voice and HJB sounds like...well he sounds like HJB. To be fair though, for all their voice acting talent, Joe DiMaggio and Billy West can't sing worth a poo poo either.

chaosbreather posted:

like if you walk in on your girlfriend just railing your terminally ill dog with a strap on, which she explains she stole it from your parent's house that time when you took her to dinner there and you realise that it probably isn't going to work out
What the gently caress?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
dont do what johnny dont does.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
The nuclear family they portray isn't as common as it used to be, plus they lost a lot of good writers after the 90s so it just started feeling bland. It was like they stopped having anything to say and went with the same slapstick as Family Guy. I haven't seen it in a while though so I could be wrong.

What is objectively true is that the first 8 seasons are undisputably among the funniest poo poo to ever exist in animated form.

Edit: also the guy voicing Tom McClure got axe murdered :(

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

No ship worthy couples? No cute characters? Adult aged characters? wtf kind of weird cartoon is this how can anybody like it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
only the first 2 seasons of the simpsons were good

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Only one episode of The Simpsons was ever good. I'm not going to say which one because if you don't know already, you wouldn't understand.

mackninja
Jun 26, 2015

by Ralp
seasons 3 to 7 were the best, then 8 and 9 were where it started falling downhill a little. after that it got so bad i stopped watching.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
is fxx gonna do another marathon?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I can't watch the pre-HD era on FX since they look weird the way they converted them to HD.

Like the clipping is odd, and sometimes the lines look too thick.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why does every show do musicals now

Glee

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

gleebster posted:

Only one episode of The Simpsons was ever good. I'm not going to say which one because if you don't know already, you wouldn't understand.

Pretty obvious that it's "You Only Move Twice"

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

In the plus column: no loving spinoffs

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Phil Hartman died

Some Family Guy DNA got spliced into the show somehow

Every episode has a guest star voice

Bart has had like 20 teenage girlfriends

The show was great and original and satirized TV in a perfect and relevant way. At some point the satire ended and the characters are still being contorted into increasingly forced jokes. It's funny sometimes but not masterpiece quality stuff. A lot of the people who contributed to early seasons left the show with their Emmy or Oscar caliber talent, and could not be adequately replaced. If you can't tell the difference that's okay you just don't care enough about it to figure out what made it great.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I don't really understand how else I'm going to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:regd13:

• Locked thread