Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

NEXT? Hey buddy, wait your turn.

NEXT? Not you.

NEXT?

All right sunshine, welcome to the federal Bureau of Consular Affairs, home of the official Gameday Thread for UFC Fight Night 70: Machida vs. Romero, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, June 27 on Fox Sports 1.

Yeah, so it's not the card you were expecting. Look buddy, I don't know what else to tell ya. The whole drat computer system's been on the fritz for weeks now and we just couldn't get any visas out. What are you complaining about anyway? Most of those TUF Brazil finale fights were gonna be garbage anyway. “Oh boo hoo I don't get to see Erick Silva vs. Rick Story!” Buddy, they don't even let ME watch Erick Silva vs. Rick Story. “Baww, it's not even in the real Hollywood!” Well if they decide to move a card stateside on short notice where the hell else do they think they're gonna land? Florida's where we send all the unannounced questionable visitors. “Waah, with Fox Sport's pacing and only nine fights on the card this is gonna draaaaaag!” Welcome to federal efficiency, fella. Complaint cards are on the table behind you, please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Anyway, my boss' boss is furious about this whole thing and she's got my boss on the horn catching hell and now he's taking it out on me and — look, I'm just small fry around here, all right? Anyway, they want me doing the GDT for this shitshow to keep you schmucks happy, so here we go.

Middleweight

Lyoto Machida

vs.

Yoel Romero

Look, we can get into a pissing contest all day about whose fault this system screw-up is, but at the end of the day when one of us shits the bed, we all gotta lie in it.

Lyoto Machida's fighting on a quick turnaround and after one of the most devastating losses in his career, so he's thirsty to come out and make a statement. Getting his rear end whooped by Luke Rockhold in April has a lot of folks talking about if maybe the former light heavyweight champion and recent middleweight contender is done for. After all, he's getting beat up a lot lately, he's 37 and his style is reflex-based. Hey, maybe he is, maybe he isn't. That's above my paygrade. All I know is if you're coming at him and you aren't careful, he's gonna be dangerous no matter what.

There was a time I didn't have to worry about giving visas to the Cubanos, but el Presidente wants to go and normalize relations now. Look that's well and good, buddy, but you know how much more work that's made for me? I only got so many hours in the day and this pissant federal insurance plan assumes carpal tunnel is a pre-existing condition. You believe this? Anyway, Yoel Romero is on a five-fight win streak which is pretty rare these days at middleweight. That said, his last win smelled to high heaven. (His third UFC win did too, but for different reasons.) The former Olympian's been lookin' real good overall in there, but Machida is his biggest test. That said, Machida got a mouthful of somethin' else last time he fought a big muscular wrestler with aggressive forward movement and a disregard for his own well-being, so let's see what happens.

Welterweight

Santiago Ponzinibbio

vs.

Lorenz Larkin

See, this is why you get your paperwork in on time. You don't get uneccessary delays, you actually get to fight, the Bureau staff loves you for not being yet another pain in our collective rear end during the rush season. Everybody wins. Except for that Buffer fella, he's gonna have a helluva time pronouncing this one. Ponzinibbio is an Argentine but he fought on TUF Brazil 2. They don't even make us actually watch TUF Brazil, so I have no clue how he did. His fights since then have been varying levels of forgettable, minus knocking out Oliveira No. 3.

Lorenz Larkin was the last person to beat welterweight champ Robbie Lawler before that actually meant half a drat, and boy didn't it cuz he's looked like poo poo. His own personal welterweight debut snapped a 2-4 skid with a performance of the night TKO over John Howard, so maybe he's pulled it together and is finally at the right weight class.

Middleweight

Antônio Carlos Júnior

vs.

Eddie Gordon

Face Shoe vs. Weidman's special-needs friend. Helluva fight, I can't wait.

Middleweight

Thiago Santos

vs.

Steve Bossé

Nah it's not that Thiago. It's not that Santos either. You know I've filed more work visas for Brazilians than I'd ever care to count but I don't think I've written more than 12 names? I think everyone has that combination of those 12 names too, just in different orders. Anyway, this guy was also on TUF Brazil 2 and has floundered, losing to a man whose toe was literally forming a right angle but also wrecking Andy Enz and Ronny Markes. He's looking to make it two in a row for the first time in his UFC career.

Bosse's a Canadian former hockey player who joined the UFC, retired, rejoined the UFC, got removed from his short-notice fight and now rides again, triumphant and cornrowed. He's on a long streak against B-league names including 2005 Heavyweight Prospects Wes Sims and Houston Alexander. It's his UFC debut and his first fight in a few years in a new weight class. Expect great things out of this one, a real guy to watch.

Featherweight

Hacran Dias

vs.

Levan Makashvili

Hacran Dias was almost another Ultimate Fighter Brazil alum but ultimately skipped the show for a midgrade contract, which is probably for the better. He's actually had a shitton of fights but is 2-2 on the big stage, dropping important decisions to Nik Lentz and Ricardo Lamas. Getting wrestled by those guys isn't too shameful though.

Levan wears his war wound like a crown. He calls his child Jesús. Sorry about that buddy, you know they get this big expensive satellite radio subscription but all the station ever plays in the waiting lobby is '70s schlock?I hear that goddamn song at least three times a day. Thank god no one on this card is named Tennille or I'd have a fuckin' aneurysm, and you know that poo poo ain't covered. Anyway, this guy hasn't had much of a career and he won his UFC debut in a split decision against Mark Eddiva, enough said.

OTHER PISS AND poo poo YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO WATCH BECAUSE IT IS ON A CHANNEL THAT DOES NOT EXIST

Prelims, 8 p.m. ET Fox Sports 2
Welterweight Alex Oliveira vs. Joe Merritt
Welterweight Leandro Silva vs. Lewis Gonzalez
Welterweight Steve Montgomery vs. Tony Sims
Bantamweight Danny Martinez vs. Sirwan Kakai

Official Weigh-In, 5 p.m. ET Friday, June 26
http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-hollywood-official-weigh-in

OFFICIAL MMA SNACK RATING:/ FISH CARTUCHO AL GABUSHO, Chef Gabriel of Florida's submission to the letsmove.gov kids cookbook 2014 edition

I swear to god it's all Michelle Obama lets us eat anymore, I've gotta sneak my wife's goddamn meatloaf in the car on my smoke break

Ingredients
15-inch sheet of parchment paper
½ lemon, sliced
5 ounces mahimahi fillet
½ tablespoon butter
½ tablespoon olive oil
Pinch salt and pepper
1 small Yukon Gold potato, chopped
¼ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
1 twig parsley
1 twig oregano
Steamed brown rice (optional)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Fold the paper in half and trim with scissors to make a heart shape when unfolded.

On one half of the parchment heart place half the lemon slices, the fish, butter, and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Pile on the remaining lemon, potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley, and oregano.

Fold the parchment paper over and fold in the ends all around, creating a pouch that lies on its side. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the fish is flaky and potatoes are tender. Serve with brown rice, if desired.

And don't forget to make your picks in goonweight, if and when they should become available!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sadly I'm going to miss this one but at least I can watch it later if Machida wins.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
There are no more pre-existing conditions. Thanks, Obama!

Otherwise, solid.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This card sucks but the main event is delish

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tiny cage tonight

FIGHTNOMICS

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That you have many more finishes even with smaller fighters is very telling.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Every time I hear about Thiago Santos I get really disappointed that it's not the super fat one who was raised in poverty and didn't know how dieting worked who committed, as well as received, an all time great dick kick.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Lost For Words posted:

Tiny cage tonight

FIGHTNOMICS

the tiny cage is not fightnomically viable

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

Nah it's not that Thiago. It's not that Santos either.
Its not the coked up gun toting Thiago that was chasing his ex around MMA gyms in Miami a while back? :smith:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That one is too busy getting knocked the gently caress out by short-notice no-names in World Series of Fighting to appear on even this, a bad Floridian TV card.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
why dont we make the cage even smaller

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Get your picks in for this wonderful card

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3721325&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post447030164

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
lets make it smaller, and instead of a cage, lets make it a pit, with sloped sides

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Why did they decide on the smaller cage?

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Bundt Cake posted:

lets make it smaller, and instead of a cage, lets make it a pit, with sloped sides

by my calculations this should make the finish rate around 97%

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Bundt Cake posted:

Make the pit of polished steel with the walls coated in a slick, viscous oil. If a finish is not completed after three rounds, an escape rope will be dangled over the center of the pit and the oil will be ignited. The escape rope will raise slowly and, should one or more fighters not reach in time, their ashes will be collected into a trough below the pit via trap doors and professionals known as "sweepmen." I have sketches of the troughs, of course.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"And here comes fan favorite sweepman Scrapes and, oh, he's got his putty knife!"

"That's right, Joe, it looks like Dennis Bermudez burnt away clean, but his shorts melted into the grooves of the pit. This might take a few minutes, let's look back at our Fram Cam replay!"

"There's Bermudez getting kicked off the rope by Diego Brandao, right into the burning Fram synthetic! I imagine that hurt like nothing else he's ever felt, before not hurting anymore at all, forever."

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Call him Sirwan Sirwan, because this is an assassination. :downsrim:

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Hell of a round if anyone is actually watching this.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
They both have pretty bad defense, but that was a fun round to watch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Devoz posted:

They both have pretty bad defense, but that was a fun round to watch.

Yeah I'm interested in how their strikes landed % stacked up, because neither guy knows how to move his head at all. Almost everything that is thrown is landing.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Kurd finds a whey to win

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
holy poo poo he punched that dude's soul out of his body

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
oh my goodness

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, thats obviously a good stop

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That was cool.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That finish looks nice and brutal in slow mo.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
the chasing temple windmill that actually lands is the superman punch of the mini octagon

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So this is my first sighting of freakie steve since his seizure in the TUF house. Ouch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Does Fox Sports 1 switch to this halfway through a football match or does the card stay on FS2? Because right now, I see England vs. Canada on FS1

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Edit: ignore me

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 28, 2015

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
The FS1 portion of the card is at 10PM EST/7PM PST

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
ah yes the clinch hammerfist to the thigh, truly the king of striking techniques

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Belle Isle Tech posted:

The FS1 portion of the card is at 10PM EST/7PM PST

Right, I somehow had it in my head that the prelims were only an hour and I'd already missed most of them, disregard.

How have the fights been so far?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Gonzalez is slowing down dramatically already, the way he's throwing punches is so lethargic

e:
hey cool escape there

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 28, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Gonzalez is really good at taking instruction.

He seems too exhausted to capitalize on anything though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That was the worst spinning backfist I've ever seen.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Gonzalez is really good at taking instruction.

He's obviously incredibly tired, though. He is in all kinds of trouble now for this third round.

e: nm

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 28, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

He's obviously incredibly tired, though. He is in all kinds of trouble now for this third round.

Yeah but Silva is really bad so we got that round instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah but Silva is really bad so we got that round instead.

I'm really unimpressed by Leandro Silva. Gonzalez was plainly gassing at the end of the first round, and IMO Silva somehow managed to give up the third. Turd. I have R1 and R3 for Gonzalez.

e: the decision... uh? I'm far enough off that I suspect I might be the idiot here. Calls for more drink.

• Locked thread