Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

These are always fun. Rate your teams draft, so we can have an easy to find repository of posts to make fun of you for later when all of your ratings pan out terribly. 76ers fans don't skimp on those grades, please grade every prospect TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here's mine

Rockets

Sam Dekker: A+ scrappy white guy overcomes his questionable shooting to become fan favorite
MontreZZZle Harrell: B not sure what to make of this, ignoring drafting for need which Morey doesn't care about how many big men who can't shoot have a future in the bold new NBA

Overall: A disappointed there was no wacky trades but seems like a good haul

edit:

Dekker gets extra credit for having an entourage made entirely of smaller Sam Dekkers

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 26, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Pacers

F

Replacing Hibbert with Hibbert 2.0? Have fun with that.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Magic

Grade: A Mario loving owns and I hope Skiles lets him do some crazy poo poo this season

Grade: B Actually never watched him but a lot of people said he was value at 51. Shoots the gently caress out of the ball and can score which the Magic need.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

ROUND 1:

JARELL MARTIN

AN INJURED POWER FORWARD
YOU CLAIM YOU ARE DRAFTING "FOR THE FUTURE" WHEN YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY IN WIN NOW MODE
YOU COULD HAVE PACKAGED THE PICK WITH PLAYERS TO GET SOMEONE SERVICEABLE RIGHT NOW
THIS GUY WASNT EVEN PROJECTED IN THE FIRST ROUND
HE IS INJURED

ROUND 2:

ANDREW HARRISON

HES A loving HARRISON TWIN FROM KENTUCKY
I THINK HIS CONTRACT IS NONGUARANTEED SO ITS NOT A TOTAL LOSS BUT STILL
KENTUCKY, AND NOT EVEN A GOOD PLAYER FROM KENTUCKY

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have no idea because I don't pay attention to college sports

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Intruder posted:

I have no idea because I don't pay attention to college sports

I don't either but thanks to DraftExpress it's easy to sound like you do! I don't even remember where Montrezelle went to college now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chunkles posted:

I don't either but thanks to DraftExpress it's easy to sound like you do! I don't even remember where Montrezelle went to college now.

the "L" is silent and he is a serviceable player who contributed big time to a very good louisville team

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
MAVS

Justin Anderson - What the gently caress ever. I couldn't be assed to watch Virginia this year, historic year be damned. He was one of the best players on that team, and seems like he'll fit in that typical "wing off the bench whose name is boring and immemorable" like Crowder and Josh Howard and Adrian Griffin. Somebody they use up and trade to the Celtics, but isn't part of the team on a going-forward basis. That's probably just ignorant cynicism. C

Satnam Singh Bhamara - Don't know poo poo about this guy, don't care, he's from India, International Mavs are back baby, trade for Yi Jinlian, bring Tariq Abdul-Wahad out of retirement, let's loving do this. A

Overall: Mathematically speaking, should be B, but I'm going with A just for the Indian dude pick.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Timberwolves

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll let you know in a few years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

I'll let you know in a few decades.

Lol embiid dropping #africanconnection

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit Pistons of Auburn Hills

Stanley Johnson: B-

Our Pistons had no small forward, other than cartier (Josh Smith: I don't respect no players with dreads) martin. So he fills a need. He's a thick dense tough guy who played great defense in college. His offensive game is layups in transition, locomotive chugachugachuga drives to the rim and ugly jumpers.

To contribute, he'll need to learn to shoot, and he'll need to defend at a very high level.

Of the other players available: Justise Winslow, Devin Booker, Frank Kaminsky, he was the safest pick, but doesn't have the ceiling of Booker or Winslow.

Round 2: Daraun Hillard of Villanova, C. A decently long and athletic wing who had a bit of shooting touch. Maybe he'll develop, and maybe he won't.
He looks like he could be Andre Drummond's cousin, a plus.

A very shrug shrug of a draft. This team has a very low ceiling. I think that if Reggie Jackson performs very well, they could win one playoff series. But they could be no better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Larry Nance, don't know much about him. Saw the name projected a few times in the first so I guess it wasn't a total reach but I think I would've went with Hunter. Nance is almost touching the really high bar on that jump measuring test thing in the Lakers workout photos, that's all I know.

I might be more interested in Anthony Brown, saw him once or twice, thought he looked good, seems to have NBA three range. Some people say he's a screen-only dude but he definitely can hit shots on the catch and shoot.

Man if Byron Scott isn't blowing smoke up my rear end this has me excited about Russell:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/150625_lakers-scott-post-draft

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I find it very difficult to grade the Lakers draft. I was shocked they didn't pick Okafor.

The worry about Russell would be that he excelled in college by being well-rounded, whereas in the NBA you succeed by having one or two elite, freakish skills that you then build off of.

That doesn't mean he was a bad pick, just that I agree with Rick that I need a few years to judge it fairly. If Okafor runs off and becomes Tim Duncan, that will be pretty painful to watch.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Hawks

-Tim Hardaway
-Some lovely Swedish dude
-Some lovely Greek dude

Grade: lol

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Siguy posted:

I find it very difficult to grade the Lakers draft. I was shocked they didn't pick Okafor.

The worry about Russell would be that he excelled in college by being well-rounded, whereas in the NBA you succeed by having one or two elite, freakish skills that you then build off of.

That doesn't mean he was a bad pick, just that I agree with Rick that I need a few years to judge it fairly. If Okafor runs off and becomes Tim Duncan, that will be pretty painful to watch.

I used to think Okafor should go #2 but have sort of changed my mind. Okafor is extremely talented offensively in the post but I also think that's a skill that isn't necessarily as important as it was. Being a poor defender and rebounder hurts since teams seem to need that out of Centers these days with teams going small. He's also not really as athletic as you'd like.

Just feels like Russell has more upside considering Okafor's limitations. I like the pick.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
someone tell me things about Devin Booker tia

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Dubs appearantly got a stretch 4 who can hit the glass and knock down outside shots. And has an injured hip.

I'll take it, should give them some flexibility in deciding what they actually want to do with Lee and Speights this offseason.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 26, 2015

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

I like it. Bulls have a bunch of PFs now, but he definitely seemed like the BPA.

A.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I don't know poo poo about the dudes they drafted but the Raptors got a first for Greivis Vasquez. A+

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Spurs drafted and stashed another European guy. Pretty boring non-sexy expected pick, I guess, it was either that or one of the late round American college sharpshooters with no athleticism. This guy looks okay and godwilling he'll be remotely Splitter or a decent garbageman big or...whatever, it'll be yeaaaars down the line in some murky future when he shows up to assist Kawhi Leonard and Finals MVP Kyle "SloMo" Anderson with their next championship.

Draft Grade: B
Entertainment Grade: F

They also managed to draft a guy I hadn't heard of at all in the second ground, and I had heard of some of the dudes that went vaguely around him like JP Tokoto and Dakari Johnson. I'll give him an A in both grades because he's got a funny name and he's not the boring typical pick of a European draft & stash or unathletic high IQ/shooter guy...well I assume he isn't since there's like no information on him. Lazy eye game is on point though and he was also apparently behind firing of Monty Williams and hiring Gentry which is a cool fun fact.

Draft Grade: A
Entertainment Grade: A

the plus of being a Spurs fan is never having to bother watching college b-ball I guess

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I have no idea who these guys are that the Suns drafted but they lost to wisconsin or some poo poo in the tournament so can they really be that good????

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Ramadu posted:

I have no idea who these guys are that the Suns drafted but they lost to wisconsin or some poo poo in the tournament so can they really be that good????

I just read up on Devin Booker and apparently he was considered the premium shooting talent in the draft. So that's something I guess :shrug:

Also, kinda resembles babyface Sam Bradford.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

:eyepop: I mean dat's just spooky as hell

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hand Knit posted:

I don't know poo poo about the dudes they drafted but the Raptors got a first for Greivis Vasquez. A+

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Wizards
Kelly Oubre
Seems like a cool dude

oh and some white guy named Aaron White

score: idk

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man those look like shoes that you'd step on somebody's cock in.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hawks: F-

With the 15th pick, the Hawks selected Kelly Oubre, who was a solid spot-up shooter who hit a good percentage of 3 pointers in college. He was ranked 16th overall by DraftExpress and 3rd among small forwards. Forward could be a position of need for the Hawks very soon and, while Oubre may not be "big", he has a 7’2 ½” wingspan, created a lot of steals in college, and is noted for solid awareness on the court. I could see Oubre fitting in in Atlanta even if he isn't exactly a DeMarre Carroll replacement.

Except they traded him to the Wizards for the 19th pick where the Wizards selected point guard Jerian Grant from Notre Dame, noted for his passing and finishing skills. Grant was great in transition, an efficient passer who also shot efficiently from the floor (within 2 point range). The Hawks don't seem to have a need for point guards, but they didn't actually pick Grant with the intention of keeping him around.

Because they traded him to the Knicks for Tim Hardaway, jr, who will not be starting for the Hawks in 2015 as things stand, and 2 future 2nd round picks (2016, 2019). Hardaway shot .342 on 3 point attempts and .435 on 2 point attempts. For context, last season the Hawks' guards shot .406 on 3 pointers and .476 on 2 point attempts.

With the 50th pick, they selected Marcus Erikkson, a straight-up draft-and-stash small forward from Europe who didn't play last season due to a torn ACL.

With the 59th pick, they selected Dimitrios Agravanis, a 6'10" draft-and-stash power forward from Greece

At least he kind of looks like an 80's teen movie villain or something.

In short, the Hawks had 3 picks and came away with one NBA bench player without a lot more upside than what he's shown, 2 players who probably barely ever play in the NBA, and 2 future 2nd round picks, one of which doesn't come until 2019. Wes and Bud are off to a terrifically :barf: start. At least they aren't assholes and, possibly, racists but :downsgun:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2015

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Orlando Magic: Double A. Triple A. whatever

Mario Hezonja has the potential to be a Jordan level cockbag with Ricky Davis level talent, which is basically just Jordan soooooo. You can just mark us down for the 2019-2025 championships now, please

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Timberwolves

I will try to explain in words what you have explained in dance.

Towns was the no-duh pick, I think it fits need and Best-in-Draft. Towns sounds like he will like playing in Minnesota as well, which is also nice.

The bigger move was Tyus Jones. He reminds me of a slower Darren Collison, which is alright for a a backup PG. This will let LaVine play the 2 off the bench, which is a much better fit than trying to run the team, and hopefully will mean the team doesn't fall apart if Ricky gets hurt again. Tyus isn't a team-changing pick, but it's a solid move-up to grab a guy who probably wouldn't have been there by the 31st pick.

A for Towns, though duh
Solid B for grabbing Tyus.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Homestar Runner posted:

:eyepop: I mean dat's just spooky as hell

:lol: that owns. Well hey we definitely need shooting badly on this team. Maybe he can be the one to win games and not lose them at the buzzer in heartbreak fashion???? *cues up TNT all star game montage of the suns losing buzzer beaters and drinks heavily*

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
Wizards: C-

Traded up for some lovely dude from Kansas who plays a position we already have (unless Pierce leaves). Would have much rather stuck with Grant and dropped Ramon Sessions/Will Bynum - D

Aaron White - MV likes him and he seems pretty athletic, although he seems undersized and probably sunburns easily - B

Did not pick Tyus Jones - A+

gently caress Tyus Jones

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hitze posted:

oh and some white guy named Aaron White

score: idk

From what I've read in the NCAA threads, White is now the most athletic ginger in the NBA.

Wait, is Blake Griffin a ginger? Second most athletic behind Blake, then.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Detroit Pistons, B+

Stanley Johnson, 1st round 8th overall, A: There's a lot to like about Stanley Johnson. His mom was a pro player in Italy; He won 4 straight California state championships in high school; was a 5* recruit to Arizona then their best player as a true freshman as they went 34-4. In 28.4mpg at Arizona he averaged 13.8pts/6.5reb/1.5spg on 44.6%fg/74.2%ft/37.1% 3pt. He measured 6'6.5" with shoes at the combine, 242 lb, 6'11.5" wingspan. To think he'll be as good a defender as Ron Artest or Draymond Green is probably over-optimistic, but he has that type of body and potential to be a similarly productive two-way player.

I think he got the nod over Winslow for a few reasons. Primarily, Johnson's overall game is more developed than Winslow's. SJ shot 44.4% on 2pt jumpers last year, Winslow 26.9%. Their respective FT% 74.2% / 64.1% further points to SJ as a better shooter. From the Pistons reddit: "[ESPN] Stanley Johnson shot 49.1% off the dribble. The Pistons shot 34% off the dribble (4th worst in the league)." Someone, iirc it was Chad Ford, pointed out Winslow has really bad shooting numbers when his feet aren't set, and that playing off Jones and especially Okafor allowed him open shots or drives to the rim that inflated his numbers compared to what he's likely to see in the NBA.

Character may also be an issue. The Detroit-area radio host Matt Dery was saying in the lead-up to the draft that he'd heard Winslow had a mediocre workout with the Pistons and Winslow's body language / discussions with reporters had them thinking he wasn't keen on Detroit. SJ by contrast was publicly saying he'd love to be a Piston. SVG said in his press conference that SJ's college coach Sean Miller is a good friend and gave him a glowing scouting report, that after a 2 1/2 hr practice SJ was the kind of player you have to kick out of the gym because he'll want to continue working to the point of exhaustion.

Darrun Hilliard, 2nd round 38th overall, C: Looks like a generic reasonably talented college upperclassman wing, the type of guy usually cut in training camp and relatedly easily available in free agency. Trading the pick, drafting a Eurostash and/or someone with higher potential all seem better than this guy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Arizona's best player was TJ McConnell but like 4'8 PGs often don't get drafted.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Utah: C

The Jazz weren't in a position to make a big impact pick. Turner was the most obvious fit for them, but he didn't make it to 12. Lyles is a nebulous entity with vague skills that might turn into something or he might be a man of trash. I don't think the Jazz can be faulted for taking him, none of the wings and guards left were interesting, so they earn the unspectacular C score for being not great or terrible. Portis, even as a reach, would have been the only pick to move to move the needle towards a B-.

Hanlon, the second rounder, gets thrown into the logjam of D-League guards in summer league and training camp and if he claws his way out and plays NBA minutes then good for him and his family.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okc: B+

Presti got his man in cameron payne which is always a great sign but owns/can't use a selfie stick so I have to dock some points

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
knicks:
We got some tall guy and a guard from Notre Dame? People seem to like both guys. Whatever. The more important thing is this:

The knicks didn't do anything blatantly stupid, pulled off an awesome trade and ended up with 2 highly-rated prospects and a euro they'll probably stash overseas. A shocking display of competency. Really makes me feel a lot better about how they'll do during free agency as well. Maybe someday they won't be an embarrasment anymore?

grade: hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Larry: "I want to play smaller and quicker next year"

*Drafts big man who has a medical issue running*

• Locked thread