Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gnoma posted:

Utah: C

The Jazz weren't in a position to make a big impact pick. Turner was the most obvious fit for them, but he didn't make it to 12. Lyles is a nebulous entity with vague skills that might turn into something or he might be a man of trash. I don't think the Jazz can be faulted for taking him, none of the wings and guards left were interesting, so they earn the unspectacular C score for being not great or terrible. Portis, even as a reach, would have been the only pick to move to move the needle towards a B-.

Hanlon, the second rounder, gets thrown into the logjam of D-League guards in summer league and training camp and if he claws his way out and plays NBA minutes then good for him and his family.

I think it's closer to a D. Booker would have been fine there if you're really desperate for someone who was "supposed" to go that high and didn't want to take Portis, and he fills a need for shooting given that they currently have two dudes on the whole team who can reliably hit a jumper, and that's only if you put a ton of faith in the last month or so of Hood's season.

Lyles is a backup big with bad athleticism whose entire appeal is a nebulous "skill" level that he never gets to show and which doesn't really fit what they. He doesn't play defense and as of right now he can't hit a jumper. Portis does both well. They want to make Lyles a stretch 4, and I guess maybe he can (he hits his free throws, at least), but he didn't hit 3s or even two point jumpers reliably in college. He was playing out of position and they didn't give him the ball much, but every time I saw him it was either a slow motion drive to the hoop that I don't think works at the next level or bricking a jumper because he couldn't get to the basket. You're basically putting a ton of faith in some vague reports of him being "highly skilled" in practice, and even then it sounded more like a Carlos Boozer sort of game but without the elite rebounding.

I like Hanlan okay and think he's better than the guys they were running out at guard for most of last year but he seems like a pretty low ceiling guy to me and there were others I liked better.

Brannigans Law posted:

Wizards: C-

Traded up for some lovely dude from Kansas who plays a position we already have (unless Pierce leaves).

Man you can't make draft decisions based on a 900 year old Paul Pierce, especially since he seems incredibly likely to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Athanatos posted:

Larry: "I want to play smaller and quicker next year"

*Drafts big man who has a medical issue running*

It's not even really a medical issue he just looks goofy doing it. I don't think he's ever actually been hurt.

I really like Indiana's draft

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

MourningView posted:

It's not even really a medical issue he just looks goofy doing it. I don't think he's ever actually been hurt.

I really like Indiana's draft

Just exaggerating for failed comedy. I think he has (had?) a gluteus medius issue that he needed to strengthen.

Pacers did fine, they need building blocks and not a home run pick. Turner was the best Center left at the level of the pick and fits in the style of play.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Bobby Portis is going to be really good, Bulls fans. I think you'll like him. He's got one hell of a motor and his mean mug game is top tier.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Lockback posted:

I will try to explain in words what you have explained in dance.

Towns was the no-duh pick, I think it fits need and Best-in-Draft. Towns sounds like he will like playing in Minnesota as well, which is also nice.

The bigger move was Tyus Jones. He reminds me of a slower Darren Collison, which is alright for a a backup PG. This will let LaVine play the 2 off the bench, which is a much better fit than trying to run the team, and hopefully will mean the team doesn't fall apart if Ricky gets hurt again. Tyus isn't a team-changing pick, but it's a solid move-up to grab a guy who probably wouldn't have been there by the 31st pick.

A for Towns, though duh
Solid B for grabbing Tyus.

I am extremely happy with the Wolves draft. Towns is a perfect fit for the uptempo style team that they are building and it is rare to find a guy who is both a rim a protector and has good shooting range. He's an excellent free throw shooter, he's a very good rebounder, and he is well-suited to run the floor. He's certainly not a sure thing, but if he pans out, then he's a prototype big for the modern NBA. I also really like the Tyus Jones pick. The team was completely different when Rubio was on the court, so having a good backup for him can improve the play of the second unit and give them insurance if he gets hurt. I really can't overstate how big of a need that was and my understanding is that Jones was the last of generally considered good PGs available and given how much young talent the Wolves already have, then trading up for Jones was worth the price. I also love that they didn't sell 2nd rounders for once.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

troofs posted:

knicks:
We got some tall guy and a guard from Notre Dame? People seem to like both guys. Whatever. The more important thing is this:

The knicks didn't do anything blatantly stupid, pulled off an awesome trade and ended up with 2 highly-rated prospects and a euro they'll probably stash overseas. A shocking display of competency. Really makes me feel a lot better about how they'll do during free agency as well. Maybe someday they won't be an embarrasment anymore?

grade: hope

The best thing about the Knicks draft was that Stephen A. Smith had the mother of all meltdowns over it. Can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you, Phil. I hope Porzingas becomes and all star.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

warcrimes posted:

The best thing about the Knicks draft was that Stephen A. Smith had the mother of all meltdowns over it. Can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you, Phil. I hope Porzingas becomes and all star.

Hahah, I missed this meltdown and don't particularly want to see it, but just knowing it exists makes me just that little bit happier.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

De'Angelo Magic Curry Savant Master Passer Russell: A for potential, A for fit

I was really set on Okafor but wasn't disappointed with the De'Angelo Russell pick. Initially, I rated him slightly lower than Okafor with respect to offensive contribution (but close enough to have them effectively interchangeable at #2). However, after reading more about him and discussing Russell with other people, I've come to realize that he's the better pick. The league is moving past the days of big men post ups saving the day. Russell is a pick for the future; his court vision, his shooting, and his passing will all be essential to a championship-worthy team. Okafor isn't great at rebounding and his defense isn't so hot, which are the two things you probably need the most from a big. Obviously, they're both rookies so they will both refine their current skillset and eventually add new skills. Russell's skillset, however, is harder to find at an elite level in a league that focuses so much on sharing the ball and firing off 3s. If he turns into an elite guard then it'll be worth it in the end.

But I agree with Rick, this is definitely a wait-and-see pick. I don't think Russell will contribute immediately since he still has to grow as a player. Okafor probably will be amazing from the first moment he plays so it's going to be tough to watch that while waiting for Russell to blossom.

Larry Nance, Jr: C- for potential, B for fit

We need a big man who has a solid, well-rounded skillset. He fits that bill to a T. I don't think he'll be a major contributor and his injury concerns worry me. The only thing I can say is that Mitch knows more than me and probably sees something that can made into a future role player.

Anthony Brown: B for potential, A for fit
I watched highlights last night and I think he's a very solid pick for what the Lakers need him to do: 3 pt shooting. He may not be able to create his own shot in the NBA immediately, but with JC and Russell running the floor, I think he'll be able to contribute immediately. However, I don't think his ceiling is that high so he won't be the second coming of Korver or anything. Still, he is a decent pick and one that will help the Lakers as long as he can maintain his shooting percentage.

Rick posted:

Man if Byron Scott isn't blowing smoke up my rear end this has me excited about Russell:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/150625_lakers-scott-post-draft

Byron Scott is tricking me into liking him again

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bobby Portis is going to be really good, Bulls fans. I think you'll like him. He's got one hell of a motor and his mean mug game is top tier.

Does he have the meanest mug? I've only seen two pictures and am unsatisfied.
I hope he learns to yell as loudly as Boozer, also to punch refs in the nuts.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

warcrimes posted:

He's really got some physical tools. He'll put on some strength and I don't think it'll affect him athletically because he's simply not an elite athlete. But the kid's drat near 7'3" in shoes with a stupid wingspan, and he's either the best shooter drafted last night or he's close enough that it doesn't matter.

Basically he could be 75% of Dirk, which would be a spectacular result for the Knicks, or he'll be 25% of Dirk which probably still means he'll get PT off the bench for several years. I don't know why New York fans think they have a chance to "win right away", looking at that roster.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Chad Ford gave the Rockets an A-. I'm an insider!!!

quote:

We all thought they'd draft a point guard, but with Sergio Llull possibly coming over, the Rockets must have felt they had that covered.

I wonder when it's going to sink in that the Rockets really don't care. They would've drafted another tweener at 18, if they thought that guy was the best player available.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

MourningView posted:

Man you can't make draft decisions based on a 900 year old Paul Pierce, especially since he seems incredibly likely to leave.

I don't think our first priority should have been a SF though. Are there any SF FAs we could have pursued? Demarre Carrol? Wes Matthews?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Raptors -

Delon Wright: We basically traded away our backup point guard to draft a backup point guard and get two picks on top of that with some extra cap space, which is a thing.

Honestly, this dude's ceiling is so low that I feel like Ujiri just wanted to choose the most anti-Caboclo pick after the criticism of last year. I would much rather have taken Rondae Hollis-Jefferson because having All-Defensive Team upside is more important to me than a backup PG which you can basically get for the minimum or a little more. It'll be nice to have a PG who can defend after watching Vasquez the Pylon for a couple of years, but Wright isn't a great shooter. This pick is the definition of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Norman Powell: A guy who I assume will play some basketball. Apparently a decent defender, too.

Grade: B

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mastershakeman posted:

Does he have the meanest mug? I've only seen two pictures and am unsatisfied.
I hope he learns to yell as loudly as Boozer, also to punch refs in the nuts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pro tier right there

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Pro tier right there

I am excited about Portis playing more basketball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Knicks: INSANE LEVEL DIFFICULTY
S++
PERFECT SCORE

Wow!! I'll write it again--WOW!! Phil Jackson and the Good Guys came into this one hamstrung by two decades of owner mismanagement varying from incompetence to straight sabotage. For seasons forward and backward they've traded their picks for melting sidewalk sludge. They got no hope and no assets. The draft was obviously rigged against them. Not since Justin Wong reduced Ken to a pixel's width of health at Evo 2004 has defeat felt so utterly assured, and not since Daigo Umehara responded to Chun-Li's onslaught with 16 consecutive parries has the world witnessed an idea-perfect comeback combo.

King 'Zing is sure to show off like Anthony Davis--he'll lose the ROTY, but all the insiders will understand they've just seen a debut unlike anything since SlayerS_`BoxeR` brought out the Terran Tank Dropship in the early 2000s GameQ Starleague. This man is about to revolutionize the entire sports industry.

On top of that, we pawned off a 3D guard who shoots below league average and can't defend for a few solid stashes and the reunification of the famed P. Jackson-Grant family NBA title MACHINE.

One final time--wow!! Behold true greatness! You can call the Knicks Team Newbee because Phil is about to bring the grand prize home to the land of Zen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Larry Nance Jr did nothing wrong

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think anyone (at least with the Lakers organization) thinks he did. The tone is definitely "hey Internet/media, why are you trying to ruin this dude's day?"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I refuse to believe that Kobe is anything but furious and nothing anyone up to and including Kobe says will sway me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kobe is currently in China and respects the land's wish that twitter is not used on their soil too much to even be aware of this yet . . .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Kobe will decide to freeze out Nance and not pass to him, but no one will be able to tell.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What if Kobe is the snake in the grass???

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A+++ for the Bucks because whatever Kidd put in this koolaid is delicious.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bobby Portis seems cool and does some crazy things to get himself angry before a game.

I give the Bulls an A- for taking him and not going for some gritty Senior Gar Forman fell in love with. Downgrade them from an A+ because they didn't take the time to work him out for some dumb reason.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Philthy posted:

A+++ for the Bucks because whatever Kidd put in this koolaid is delicious.

I still don't get that trade though unless they ship off MCW or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Bobby Portis seems cool and does some crazy things to get himself angry before a game.

I give the Bulls an A- for taking him and not going for some gritty Senior Gar Forman fell in love with. Downgrade them from an A+ because they didn't take the time to work him out for some dumb reason.

They said they didn't think he'd be there, which seems reasonable. Utah didn't work out Towns but I'd hope they would have picked him if he'd somehow fallen there. The importance of workouts is pretty overblown anyway. It's not like there is a lack of tape on Portis

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

I still don't get that trade though unless they ship off MCW or something.

Yeah, I don't think anyone does. They have to be having stuff going on we're just not aware of yet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Vasquez is better than MCW. :colbert:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Milwaukee is stupid as hell. Remember this trade when they're in last place in 2022 and the Bucks can only pay part of their power bill at the radl y Cen er.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yes they will rue the day they gave up a late first round pick they had originally obtained by accepting a solid 3 and D player.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

EvanTH posted:

Knicks: INSANE LEVEL DIFFICULTY
S++
PERFECT SCORE

Wow!! I'll write it again--WOW!! Phil Jackson and the Good Guys came into this one hamstrung by two decades of owner mismanagement varying from incompetence to straight sabotage. For seasons forward and backward they've traded their picks for melting sidewalk sludge. They got no hope and no assets. The draft was obviously rigged against them. Not since Justin Wong reduced Ken to a pixel's width of health at Evo 2004 has defeat felt so utterly assured, and not since Daigo Umehara responded to Chun-Li's onslaught with 16 consecutive parries has the world witnessed an idea-perfect comeback combo.

King 'Zing is sure to show off like Anthony Davis--he'll lose the ROTY, but all the insiders will understand they've just seen a debut unlike anything since SlayerS_`BoxeR` brought out the Terran Tank Dropship in the early 2000s GameQ Starleague. This man is about to revolutionize the entire sports industry.

On top of that, we pawned off a 3D guard who shoots below league average and can't defend for a few solid stashes and the reunification of the famed P. Jackson-Grant family NBA title MACHINE.

One final time--wow!! Behold true greatness! You can call the Knicks Team Newbee because Phil is about to bring the grand prize home to the land of Zen.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I don't like it

I love it :iamafag:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Portland Trailblazers:

(Traded role player and second round pick for Mason Plumlee and late first round pick):

C-

Trading some roleplayers for other roleplayers is kind of overshadowed by the fact that the team is blowing up. Maybe the Blazers will be magic enough to put something together out of this?

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Denver

7th - Emmanuel Mudiay: A highly regarded 6'5 190lb point guard. Basketball-smart people say he could be the best guard in the draft.

57th - Nikola Radicevic: A 6'5 200lb point guard.

Hmm, I wonder what this could mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnMGo_FbjA

Grade A, I guess? I haven't followed Mudiay much at all but he already has a national endorsement and dope hair, and he did this dunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajecL9Lrh4M so I'm all aboard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So I guess the Lakers liked Russell but were probably picking Okafor right up until the private workout. As hyperbolic as the Magic Johnson comparisons have seem to me, two guys that played with Magic walked out making them. Yeah, I guess if that is the case you have to make the pick.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, he is a picture of Nance's 44 inch vertical from his workout with the Lakers

https://twitter.com/ACLrecoveryCLUB/status/612136419088187392/photo/1

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 27, 2015

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

I think Winslow is pretty solid for the Heat because he is physically ready to defend at the NBA level and offensively they don't need him to do anything more than hit an occasional wide open shot, so good fit for Winslow on what is ostensibly going to be a playoff team with multiple other guys that can create their own shot.

I assume the 2nd round pick is headed for the D-League.

Draft Grade: A

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
2014-2015 Champion Golden State Warriors

Kevon Looney

6' 9" with a 7' 3" wingspan. Athletic, can run the floor, rebound, handle the ball and shot 41% from 3-point range. Has some concerns with a hip issue that isn't long term but can keep him out of summer league. I expect him to play in the D-League this coming year(Santa Cruz is like 20 mins from me) then join the team after. When he gets healthy and gets into NBA shape/conditioning he can fit a vital need for some size in the front court but with the desired athleticism the dubs thrive on. Could become a very valuable rotation player with upside higher than even that.

A-

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 27, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When Looney walked up to the podium he looked really hobbled. I how he recovers but I can understand people passing on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

When Looney walked up to the podium he looked really hobbled. I how he recovers but I can understand people passing on him.

Hey, I'm not complaining.

• Locked thread