Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

duke had a kickin rad dpad, bring back that dpad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dougdrums posted:

oh so that's what the gently caress that's supposed to be

its kind of funny that they relented to putting analog stick and buttons on it, earlier prototypes were just

and they were like "you won't need any of those things other controllers have, trackpads can do everything those things can do AND MORE!!!!"

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

God drat I should have saved the Videodrome reference for whatever the gently caress this is.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
isn't that from another cronenburg movie, "existenz"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

isn't that from another cronenburg movie, "existenz"

yep

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The gamecube controller is the best one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Microsoft is selling a $150 controller lmao

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, you can save the princess and dial a telephone at the same time

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i already paid real money for a steam controller I'll get in 5 months

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

Does anyone remember either a nintendo or super nintendo controller that had a "slow" button you could press that was supposed to slow the game but what it actually did was just press the pause button every half second and then unpause immediately? Like, on games where the pause button would just freeze the screen like castlevania, it would look like everything was just moving in frame by frame but any buttons you pressed while it was "paused" wouldn't register and in other games with an actual "pause" screen, it would be a hosed up mess?

for SNES there was the asciiPad

this was the best SNES controller IMO; its shape was more comfortable than the stock controller for the L/R buttons, it had turbo/auto switches, and it was of the same (if not better) build quality as the stock controller as it was actually licensed by Nintendo

olaf2022 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 27, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

i use this to play indie retro pixel art roguelike puzzle platformer games, exclusively.

also, i can't beat the fourth level i keep falling off the edge of the oil platform.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

its kind of funny that they relented to putting analog stick and buttons on it, earlier prototypes were just

and they were like "you won't need any of those things other controllers have, trackpads can do everything those things can do AND MORE!!!!"

hahaha gently caress that noise, i'm not playing street fighter with a track pad, idiots

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

PS4 controller is absolutely terrible. L2 and R2 are not even close to convex enough and the analogue sticks have too big of a dead zone and are too far away from the triggers.

all dualshocks are garbage

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the s controller for the first xbox was the dankest, tied with snes

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
if we could combine the saturn d-pad, the gamecube face buttons, the 360 triggers and shape, and the xbone joysticks, i would have the perfect controller imo

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Yknow what's great on a controller?

TRACKPADS

Steam has done quite a bit to make pc gaming more convenient but loving lol at that

like there's not even need for it since pretty much every game in the past several years works automatically with the 360 and i assume xbone controllers

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

XMNN posted:

what might have been :allears:

Lol, Saitek actually made this (6 buttons!):

In the year 2000 this was the king of PC gamepads:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This was by far the best pre-analog era controller.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So there were actually controllers called "paddles". NO wonder...I thought everyone who called them that were insane and were just making up words for controllers.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Gimbal lock posted:

I had the original that plugged into a gamepad port and it was incredible. Also owned one of these bad boys for MS Flight Sim 5.0:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Playing old-school games and having my thumb muscles ache tell me I should plug this in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_HzfBykpTg

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Zeluth posted:

Playing old-school games and having my thumb muscles ache tell me I should plug this in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_HzfBykpTg

i barfed from that guy's hand

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Throwdini posted:

i barfed from that guy's hand

Weird, right?

I am from USA and still put Sanwa parts in controls because I forget the USA controller parts company that died.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

yeah

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

and here I thought the market was trending hard toward lovely mobile games

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

act 2, scene 4

boss: dave, i know you graduated last year with your phd from stanford engineering, but i think youre ready for the big leagues

dave: golly sir, i sure am chuffed to hear you say so

boss: ok. i need you to make a functional and visual aid for doctors to check out the human rear end

boss: also somebody is pissing on the toilet seat again, just spreading the word

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'll admit I'm tempted by a steam controller,
I actually came in to post the kempston joystick, but that's already been posted,
By the way, anyone got any advice on pairing a wireless knock off ps controller to my pc?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I'm studying medicine now and this is the tip of the iceburg with respect to simulated humans to practice procedures on... our school recently purchased a bunch of "sim men" which are complete simulated humans with normal sized lungs, blood vessels (through which simulated blood is pumped at 120/80 blood pressure with palpable pulses), replicated skin, a beating heart... it's pre-programmed to complain and cough, both to simulate the presenting complaint and in response to student interactions (touching the bronchi elicits a cough reflex, for example) but it also has a microphone so your evaluator who's watching you in another room can speak and it will speak in the simulated patient's voice in case you go off script in the exam.

We have simulated vaginas, breasts, male genitals that are made by the same company as the proctology equipment seen above that can simulate lumps, discharge, textures etc corresponding to diseases but I don't have any good pictures of those.

In spite of this availability of equipment, a live actor was used for the testicular exam portion of the practice exam last year meaning that his balls were fondled by no less than 120 people over the day. Good times...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

How much did he have to pay for that?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
wanna stick my dick in a lumpy cyberprostate

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I actually had one of these:

And I let my stepbrother "borrow it" and never asked for it back because gently caress that thing. The paint felt so cheap, it's like it was always sticky and ready to peel off and coat my hands in toxic chemicals.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

like there's not even need for it since pretty much every game in the past several years works automatically with the 360 and i assume xbone controllers

Yeah but it's expensive as hell. I bought a wireless 360 controller 5 years ago and it works great still, but I think the Xbone and PS4 controllers are way more comfy but the wireless Xbone controller is like $100 for some reason and you still have to jump through loads of hoops to get the DS4 working wirelessly. I mean yeah I could use a USB like it's 2002 again but after tasting wireless it really doesn't feel good.

I went back and tried the Dreamcast controller a little while ago and it made me sad how archaic it felt because I remember trying it out in 1999 and even then you could feel it was the future:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
This guy takes apart an Atari 2600 joystick and an NES gamepad and explains how they work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl8-KDn-0NM
The NES gamepad has a microchip in it, but unlike the Bone Zone controller you don't need to do any firmware updates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqDVi_JcOg

The SNES uses two of the same microchip in the NES but chained together. If you modify your SNES plug to be an NES plug it will work on an NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but it's expensive as hell. I bought a wireless 360 controller 5 years ago and it works great still, but I think the Xbone and PS4 controllers are way more comfy but the wireless Xbone controller is like $100 for some reason and you still have to jump through loads of hoops to get the DS4 working wirelessly. I mean yeah I could use a USB like it's 2002 again but after tasting wireless it really doesn't feel good.

I went back and tried the Dreamcast controller a little while ago and it made me sad how archaic it felt because I remember trying it out in 1999 and even then you could feel it was the future:

the wireless xbone controller is 60 bucks even unless youre in australia or somewhere, in that case idk

• Locked thread