Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Does anyone remember either a nintendo or super nintendo controller that had a "slow" button you could press that was supposed to slow the game but what it actually did was just press the pause button every half second and then unpause immediately? Like, on games where the pause button would just freeze the screen like castlevania, it would look like everything was just moving in frame by frame but any buttons you pressed while it was "paused" wouldn't register and in other games with an actual "pause" screen, it would be a hosed up mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

I'm studying medicine now and this is the tip of the iceburg with respect to simulated humans to practice procedures on... our school recently purchased a bunch of "sim men" which are complete simulated humans with normal sized lungs, blood vessels (through which simulated blood is pumped at 120/80 blood pressure with palpable pulses), replicated skin, a beating heart... it's pre-programmed to complain and cough, both to simulate the presenting complaint and in response to student interactions (touching the bronchi elicits a cough reflex, for example) but it also has a microphone so your evaluator who's watching you in another room can speak and it will speak in the simulated patient's voice in case you go off script in the exam.

We have simulated vaginas, breasts, male genitals that are made by the same company as the proctology equipment seen above that can simulate lumps, discharge, textures etc corresponding to diseases but I don't have any good pictures of those.

In spite of this availability of equipment, a live actor was used for the testicular exam portion of the practice exam last year meaning that his balls were fondled by no less than 120 people over the day. Good times...

• Locked thread