Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think anyone had him projected as more than a 2nd in the first place.

Pre season he was closer to the low first and had a really good couple months. Once he got injured and other guys jumped up that was all she wrote. Still, 7th is crazy for the guy, he must have interviewed in a Dynamo Moscow t-shirt or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
What fresh hell is this

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Bregor posted:

Anyone you pick at 22nd is probably gonna take 3-4 years before you know what kind of NHL player they're going to be.

Trade the Grubi GMBM

I think you're overestimating how long it takes to determine if a player around that draft slot is a usable NHL asset or not, look at the players Washington has taken in the last 1/3 of the first round, post 04-05 lockout. Schultz, Green, MoJo, Carlson, Burakovsky, and Varlamov were all contributing to the NHL squad within 2 years, Gustafsson had been let go, the only one who had a protracted development more in keeping with your timeline was Kuznetsov who I honestly believe is behind the curve in his development due to his extended stay in the KHL.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Someone tell me about Daniel Sprong. His stats look pretty loving good. Is his defense that bad that it caused him to drop so far? And if so I don't care because thats fixable. Looks like a p good pick for the Penguins.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Ginette Reno posted:

Someone tell me about Daniel Sprong. His stats look pretty loving good. Is his defense that bad that it caused him to drop so far? And if so I don't care because thats fixable. Looks like a p good pick for the Penguins.

he would have been a really good pick in the late first round let alone the mid second. he's a super talented offensive player who has ~work ethic~ poo poo bringing him down even though he's always scored a bunch.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
High scorers (but not crazy high like Drouin / Sid / etc) in the Q usually take a hit in the draft just due to where they play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zamboni Jesus posted:

he would have been a really good pick in the late first round let alone the mid second. he's a super talented offensive player who has ~work ethic~ poo poo bringing him down even though he's always scored a bunch.

Should be a fun player to track the development of. Seems like a similar prospect to Kapanen. Fell down far due to concerns about defense and other stupid poo poo but has tons of skill.

I find it interesting that the Penguins have basically the same scouting staff they had under Shero but now they're suddenly drafting for skill and primarily for forawrds. I guess GMs have a lot more control over the draft than they claim. They all like to say they let their scouting staffs make the picks but the total 180 in philosophy between two Pens gms with the same scouting staffs couldn't be more obvious.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
probably every team has a basic "organizational strategy" as defined by the GM which they give to their scouts as a basic guide because every GM is going to have a different idea as to what an ideal team makeup is. if you think small, high scoring, defensively questionable players are detrimental to team makeup, you aren't going to be drafting those players even if your scouts like them.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

High scorers (but not crazy high like Drouin / Sid / etc) in the Q usually take a hit in the draft just due to where they play.

Meier was literally just drafted 9th overall... I think Sprong fell because of his own issues as a player (consistency and 'work ethic')

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Ginette Reno posted:

Should be a fun player to track the development of. Seems like a similar prospect to Kapanen. Fell down far due to concerns about defense and other stupid poo poo but has tons of skill.

I find it interesting that the Penguins have basically the same scouting staff they had under Shero but now they're suddenly drafting for skill and primarily for forawrds. I guess GMs have a lot more control over the draft than they claim. They all like to say they let their scouting staffs make the picks but the total 180 in philosophy between two Pens gms with the same scouting staffs couldn't be more obvious.

thought shero did pretty well for the devils. traded for palmieri, and got dudes that can skate with plenty of potential. coming around on zacha.

in contrast, the devils drafted a goon in the sixth round last year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Is that goalie any good?

The answer is no one knows.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Gunjin posted:

So the Caps drafted a guy who looks like the kid who ate all the weed at the start of supertroopers.

For what it's worth Siegenthaler is young and he made some mistakes in the playoffs but overall he was very good, he's also been in all the junior national teams. He had plenty of interviews during the playoffs and seems to be a decent guy who knows that hockey isn't just fun but hard work. Pretty sure he'll make it into the NHL.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Tahirovic posted:

For what it's worth Siegenthaler is young and he made some mistakes in the playoffs but overall he was very good, he's also been in all the junior national teams. He had plenty of interviews during the playoffs and seems to be a decent guy who knows that hockey isn't just fun but hard work. Pretty sure he'll make it into the NHL.

I'm sure he's a fine player, just the first thing my wife and I thought was he looked like the kid in Supertroopers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

A Typical Goon posted:

Meier was literally just drafted 9th overall... I think Sprong fell because of his own issues as a player (consistency and 'work ethic')

he's right though

• Locked thread