Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Now Tayne I can get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just watched Punch Drunk Love. It was good. Thread title confirmed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They need to bring back intermissions for long movies. I saw Lawrence of Arabia in a theater and it had a 15 minute break a little over halfway in. Made it seem a lot shorter.

And double features. Why not just pair up two shorter movies instead of bloating something to two hours?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
he was rapeing hreberts dune, op. but with love

edit: watched christine, thread title confirmed again

quakster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 28, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

what's up with movies being longer than 90 minutes. i can deal with 120 min but after that gently caress you and your bloated film. there's very few exceptions to this rule that i can think of.

Worth every minute.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
John Wick was surprisingly good.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

The wolf of wall street was good even though it was like 3 hours long

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sex Weirdo posted:

The wolf of wall street was ok and it was like 3 hours long

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Egbert Souse posted:

They need to bring back intermissions for long movies. I saw Lawrence of Arabia in a theater and it had a 15 minute break a little over halfway in. Made it seem a lot shorter.

you have a good memory for 50 years ago grandpa

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sheep-Goats posted:

Worth every minute.

this is a Good Movie and you're an uncultured gorilla if you haven't seen it

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Sex Weirdo posted:

"Rich Assholes Doing Quaaludes" sucked imo

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just finished Nightcrawler and it was really excellent. I could have done with less long boring shots, especially in the beginning. But other than that, great flick.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sex Weirdo posted:

I actually didnt like it much and thought it was unjustifiably long

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rutibex posted:

you have a good memory for 50 years ago grandpa

It had a limited rerelease in 2012. I'm only as old as Ghostbusters and Amadeus.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Watched Terminator 2 today. Can confirm modern action films, even the "good" ones are poo poo by comparison.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXNAG8Zwug

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I want to say that the writing of movies seems weaker. Also there is too much of a reliance on CGI. Sometimes it doesn't even look good. And I think everyone can appreciate the work of a good set. (Especially when monsters/creatures are robots or puppets)

And I wish we could take back horror. It's soo congested, and even in the case of good ones I feel like you have to stream vs watching in a theater

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Applewhite posted:

Watched Terminator 2 today. Can confirm modern action films, even the "good" ones are poo poo by comparison.

Mad Max Fury Road was better than T2.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And by a good margin too.

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014
ITT:
OP is comparing the good movies of the 80's to the shittiest movies out now, and then whining about there being no good movies when he's only mentioning lovely super hero movies, or Ted 2, and ignoring the good movies like Memento, Nightcrawler, The Dark Knight etc. You can make anything lovely if you choose the worst things from it to look at.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the dark knight blew

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Orkin Mang posted:

the dark knight blew

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

watched a private showing of predator with friends recently and it was easily the best movie I've seen in theaters this decade. saw transformers 2 for free and still wanted a refund afterwards

check out a smaller local theater that plays indie films and non formulaic turds and serves awesome food and booze op, i promise your movie viewing experience will increase a lot

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

how is Snowpiercer not mentioned in a thread about trying to find dumb action movies that are also good movies

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Source: no clue

Imagine that you are the alpha

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kazr posted:

check out a smaller local theater that plays indie films and non formulaic turds and serves awesome food and booze op,

In most cities instead of awesome food and booze what you get is cumsmell and bedbugs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Bruce Kison posted:

And by a good margin too.

jesus loving christ

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

jesus loving christ

Haven't seen MM:FR but I also find it highly dubious that it could stand up to T2 or even Thunderdome.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Mad Max sucked. The music was annoying, Tom Hardy was awful, and nothing mattered.

The only two American movies from the past six years that I can remember enjoy watching are Precious and Killer Joe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Haven't seen MM:FR but I also find it highly dubious that it could stand up to T2 or even Thunderdome.

It's really really good but it's not as good as arguably the best action movie ever.

lol "by a good margin" goons are so dumb about media.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A coworker said the other day that T2 would be a flop if released today. I'm scared he might be right. I'm worried about the future of our culture.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

A coworker said the other day that T2 would be a flop if released today. I'm scared he might be right. I'm worried about the future of our culture.

i forsee mandatory frots and suspenders loud in colour holding up 'trousers' wacky of weave. a teminator has no future in such a place, iweep to say...itd be a future thats actuly a past for him but i mean from our perspective, in the future.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

there is no fate but what we make for ourselves

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Applewhite posted:

Well, yeah. Grizzly old man Arnold wouldn't impress anyone.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lonesomedwarf posted:

there is no fate but what we make for ourselves

the mesage of t3 was that no matter what they did nothing could be prevented. its my favorite t movie bc it shows how death reigns granitic in how ucant beat it

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

rip eddie furlong

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
arnold schwarzeneggers action career of the 80s and early 90s was a gift to all mankind

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Bitter Mushroom posted:

trailers are designed to appeal the lowest dipshits on the totem pole, and can be actively off putting. Don't watch them

This is fact. I almost didn't go see Gladiator because of the Kid Rock bawidabaw movie trailers comparing modern sports to gladiator combat.

Then I did and it sucked anyway... No wait, that was the sequel, Robin Hood.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i like it when a trailer does something new or cool, all the other trailer editors immediately get paid to rip it off. its america distilled to two minutes of loud noises and flashing lights, an ouroboros of meaningless garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Vogler posted:

Mad Max sucked. The music was annoying, Tom Hardy was awful, and nothing mattered.

The only two American movies from the past six years that I can remember enjoy watching are Precious and Killer Joe.
You sound like a lot of fun

• Locked thread