Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Malachamavet posted:

I don't actually think this is a good reading, but Isn't Riley being genderqueer a better interpretation than her being bisexual?

Her parents' emotions look more like they do, is all. They also have a more complex control panel like the one Riley's get at the end of the film. I think it's just meant as another indication of their emotional maturity and more cohesive sense of identity relative to Riley's, and when they were children their emotions probably would have looked similar to Riley's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

I kind of disagree here; Anger, Fear and Disgust only ruin Riley's life because they don't have Joy or Sadness to balance them out and they have no idea what they are doing as a result and become impulsive emotions which are self-destructive. When Joy was around, they acted like counter-balances to her because the point of life is indeed to be happy but only through the challenges and checks that those emotions can give.

On the note of other emotions: we are looking through the eyes of an 11-year old so obviously the really basic emotions are coming into play. If this ever gets a sequel (and it could, Riley has to grow-up) I can see more emotions being added which works out well since sequels are all about developing and adding to the original film. I'd pay to see it.
But the emphasis on all the emotions working together isn't really there. There's very little to suggest that Joy needs Fear, Anger, or Disgust. In fact, during that climactic scene where Joy gets restored to normal, Joy and Sadness occupy center-frame in pushing the machine while the other three emotions aren't even in the shot at all. I wish I had a screenshot of that. Basically, there's very little to suggest those three emotions have value at all.

Especially Disgust. I'm pretty sure they included her only so they could get Mindy Kaling to make snide remarks. Which is fair enough, probably.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What I've learned from this thread and the animation thread is that kids don't know if they like boys or girls by the time they're 12 and clown fear is A Meme and the film is Christian Science propaganda or something, am I missing anything else?

I like that Riley has both masculine and feminine impulses and likes wrecking fools in a hockey rink and it's not a big deal in the film. Sorry for being creepy.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 29, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surlaw posted:

kids don't know if they like boys or girls by the time they're 12

Correct. For many people sexual orientation is fluid and undefined until they're in their late teens.

Turns out growing up is super confusing!

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
The dad's company must be crazy successful if they can move from the Midwest straight into an SF townhouse.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

precision posted:

Correct. For many people sexual orientation is fluid and undefined until they're in their late teens.
Yeah, and for many other people it's really definitely not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

swamp teen 1990 posted:

The dad's company must be crazy successful if they can move from the Midwest straight into an SF townhouse.

The movie is set in 2000 and he's one of the founders of Pets.com

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surlaw posted:

Yeah, and for many other people it's really definitely not.

Studies have consistently shown that large numbers - even majorities in some studies - of men who identify as straight had consensual gay experiences in their teens. And vice versa. :shrug:

Sexuality is a complicated thing!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Studies have consistently shown that large numbers - even majorities in some studies - of men who identify as straight had consensual gay experiences in their teens. And vice versa. :shrug:

Sexuality is a complicated thing!

It's only gay if the balls touch, though. Those studies are probably gathering data based on false assumptions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm curious how toys are doing for this movie. It seems like a not-very-marketable movie. At Subway they had tote bags, each one with a different Emotion on it, and I thought, why in the world would anyone want Fear or Disgust or Sadness merchandise?

Talking Anger toys however, make too much sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious how toys are doing for this movie. It seems like a not-very-marketable movie. At Subway they had tote bags, each one with a different Emotion on it, and I thought, why in the world would anyone want Fear or Disgust or Sadness merchandise?

I think the movie itself made a lot of people like Sadness. Plus she'd be great as a plush toy.

You're right about Fear though, he's more of a comic relief character than anything.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
If I had to pick one character to buy a toy for, it'd be Sadness. Of course, being a grown-up, I can afford to buy them all and will do so. I do think that Fear translates the least well into a toy, tough. His uncuddly shape doesn't help either.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Eddie Dingle posted:

Did anybody else notice the mother's Emotional center seemed to be sadness? The movie makes it clear that sadness is an import part of the human experience, but the way they did the mother just seemed depressing to me.

I thought the point of the whole thing was that as people grow up their emotions deepen to be less one-note, and so we see that in the mother's mind the same primal emotion characters have taken on more roles than just the basic ones. The mom's sadness wasn't particularly sad, after all.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 30, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lord Krangdar posted:

I thought the point of the whole thing was that as people grow up their emotions deepen to be less one-note, and so we see that in the mother's mind the same primal emotion characters have taken on more roles than just the basic ones. The mom's sadness wasn't particularly sad, after all.

Someone in the GBS thread mentioned empathy as a facet of sadness, and in that scene Riley's mother was concerned something was wrong. But yeah, the emotions get considerably less one note with a get I would imagine.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Disgust is really popular with the girly-girl types. It keys into that devil wears prada bitchiness act.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would have loved a Disgust toy as a kid.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

This seems like it's being aimed directly at either parents and/or people with fond memories of childhood. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I don't see that it would offer much to, say, an 11-year-old watching it. I mean, there's some funny slapstick, and some wacky character designs, but it doesn't seem like it would really grab a kid who's actually living through what's being portrayed. Do any goons with spawn have any kid reactions?

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Yeah, a movie about a kid having difficulties with her emotions that feel like they're out of her control definitely has no kind of resonance with children.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just asked my eight-year old nephew and he admitted that while he enjoyed the colorful animation and bold characters, he felt unable to grasp the full emotional depth of the film's depiction of depression and the adolescent buildingsroman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Madurai posted:

This seems like it's being aimed directly at either parents and/or people with fond memories of childhood. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I don't see that it would offer much to, say, an 11-year-old watching it. I mean, there's some funny slapstick, and some wacky character designs, but it doesn't seem like it would really grab a kid who's actually living through what's being portrayed. Do any goons with spawn have any kid reactions?

I think you're more right than not, we saw it in a theater full of sub-11 year olds (I'd say most were in the 7-10 range) and they were confused/bored a lot and didn't seem to really love it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I think you're more right than not, we saw it in a theater full of sub-11 year olds (I'd say most were in the 7-10 range) and they were confused/bored a lot and didn't seem to really love it.

I'm confused at this because at the very least they should be laughing at stuff like Triple Dent Gum.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

I'm confused at this because at the very least they should be laughing at stuff like Triple Dent Gum.

That seemed like a very adult-oriented joke, though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

That seemed like a very adult-oriented joke, though?

It's adult oriented because "hey kids sing all the dumbest poo poo" and it's kid oriented because "hey that happens to me a bunch too!".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

It's adult oriented because "hey kids sing all the dumbest poo poo" and it's kid oriented because "hey that happens to me a bunch too!".

But do kids get annoyed by it? I've never seen that to be the case. The annoyance was the joke, otherwise you're asking little kids to be entertained by a Seinfeldian "yep, that sure happens" routine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

But do kids get annoyed by it? I've never seen that to be the case. The annoyance was the joke, otherwise you're asking little kids to be entertained by a Seinfeldian "yep, that sure happens" routine.

The initial joke (the "this will never fade") is about annoyance. the recurring gag is about it appearing randomly. Part of comedy is surprise, and that's what the kids (and adults) laugh at.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't remember the kids laughing at that specific joke, though adults definitely did. I think it's more of an adult thing to hate jingles that get stuck in your head, whereas kids (in my experience as a big brother, father, and uncle) sometimes, for whatever reason, love those stupid jingles and sing them all the time.

So I took it more of a joke about something kids do that adults don't understand/find annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

The initial joke (the "this will never fade") is about annoyance. the recurring gag is about it appearing randomly. Part of comedy is surprise, and that's what the kids (and adults) laugh at.

The joke was them getting annoyed whenever it happened. Not that it happened.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

The joke was them getting annoyed whenever it happened. Not that it happened.

It can be both!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The Triple Dent Gum joke is notable for breaking the Rule of 3 and still managing to make it work.

Also, Lewis Black is a national treasure and did a perfect job in his role.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dirksteadfast posted:

The Triple Dent Gum joke is notable for breaking the Rule of 3 and still managing to make it work.

I feel like part of the joke was breaking the rule of three.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I went to the movie with a 8 year old(my little sister), a 7 year old, a 6 year old and a 4 year old(my brother's kids) and they all loved the movie. They laughed at basically all the jokes and they were all talking about who their favorite character was after the movie (the 4 year old liked Sadness because she thought she would be a cuddly doll, the 6 year old liked Bing-Bong because he's silly, and the 7 and 8 year olds liked Joy the most because she was fun). They thought the tripledent gum thing was hilarious, that got big laughs every time it happened.

Different kids are going to have different responses to the movie, and I'm sure some will find it boring, but that wasn't a problem when I went at least. They all enjoyed the Lava short a lot too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sorry, but anyone who enjoyed Lava needs to be examined at length by a psychologist. It sounded like what Iron & Wine might do after being lobotomized.

e: poo poo, that's exactly what it was - "Such Great Heights" as written by Hallmark

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My wife and I saw it today and we both left the theater feeling a little underwhelmed. There were parts we enjoyed, for sure (ie: Triple Dent gum and the cat's emotions at the end), but the movie just felt a little dull. Usually I am really good about explaining what I liked and didn't like about a movie, but I just can't put my finger on it this time.

I know I would definitely liked a few more trips into other people's emotions sprinkled in throughout the movie just to show that even as you're struggling with emotions, so is everyone else in their own way. It really didn't hit me that I wanted to see more of the until the random boy's panic reaction about "GIRL!" They had that mashup at the very end, but again, probably would have liked to see a few more of those interactions earlier in the movie.

Vegetable posted:

But the emphasis on all the emotions working together isn't really there. There's very little to suggest that Joy needs Fear, Anger, or Disgust. In fact, during that climactic scene where Joy gets restored to normal, Joy and Sadness occupy center-frame in pushing the machine while the other three emotions aren't even in the shot at all. I wish I had a screenshot of that. Basically, there's very little to suggest those three emotions have value at all.

Especially Disgust. I'm pretty sure they included her only so they could get Mindy Kaling to make snide remarks. Which is fair enough, probably.

At the very end, there are all the memories coming in and they're two-toned. Like red/yellow (anger/joy), blue/green (sadness/disgust), etc... so they alluded to it, but it was a short visual right at the very end. I guess they couldn't have emphasized more than two emotions at a time for storytelling purposes. However, just as Joy and Sadness are learning to work together, the others are, too, but they're much more impulsive and reactionary and make shittier decisions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dirksteadfast posted:

Also, Lewis Black is a national treasure and did a perfect job in his role.

Seriously, when Lewis Black exists is it even POSSIBLE for anyone else to be considered for that role?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bruceski posted:

Seriously, when Lewis Black exists is it even POSSIBLE for anyone else to be considered for that role?

If they played him a little more wacky I could see Gilbert Gottfried in there.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The corporate-ization of the mind was interesting. It hit all the corporate notes, and I found a bunch of lil injokes both condemning and celebrating that sort of culture. The way the jellybean folk are matterafact about their job, the way management (the emotions) had rusty or very little knowledge about the ground floor operation, and the technical training manual nook looks exactly like how a couple of my previous jobs handled documentation.

Its not the main thrust of the film, and they don't get into it deeply, nor should it. But I appreciated it.

The other emotions being useless when left at the controls felt like it was Joy's fault. She was the overbearing type of boss that never trusted anyone else to do anything, so she dominated the controls and pushed sadness into the sadness circle. So of course if she was out the whole office would burn down, Joy made it that way. I really wish they went harder on that arc.

Sidenote: 11 year old niece's opinion on the SF townhouse: ew yucky. 25 year old me's opinion on the SF townhouse: That is a loving mansion in downtown SF, this lil girl dont know how good she got.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KirbyKhan posted:

Sidenote: 11 year old niece's opinion on the SF townhouse: ew yucky. 25 year old me's opinion on the SF townhouse: That is a loving mansion in downtown SF, this lil girl dont know how good she got.

Yeah that was kind of crazy to me. Their townhouse was clearly supposed to be among all those townhouses that are right off Haight (or similar neighborhood) but the girl reacted as if they'd moved into a roach-filled apartment in The Mission (that still costs $1000/month).

e: although I guess it's possible that was the joke

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The film is weirdly autobiographical, as a movie about Pixar itself as 'the little company that could'. So you have a movie about a benevolent corporation that controls children by literally causing their feelings. Halfway through, I got the distinct impression that I was being subjected to some kind of experiment.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film is weirdly autobiographical as a movie about Pixar as the little company that could. So you have a movie about a benevolent corporation that controls children by literally causing their feelings. Halfway through, I got the distinct impression that I was being subjected to some kind of experiment.

...holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

e: Also, there are five emotions, mapping to the "main" five creative people over Pixar's history (Docter, Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, and Lee Unkrich).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Five emotions, five FINGERS!!! Because they are the puppetmasters of your life, and puppets use strings attached to fingers to be controlled.

precision posted:

Yeah that was kind of crazy to me. Their townhouse was clearly supposed to be among all those townhouses that are right off Haight (or similar neighborhood) but the girl reacted as if they'd moved into a roach-filled apartment in The Mission (that still costs $1000/month).

e: although I guess it's possible that was the joke

What do you mean? I don't think there was supposed to be a joke there. Even adults have difficulty adapting to new and uncertain situations. Why wouldn't a little girl who's upset that she had to move and leave all her friends behind not like the new place, wherever it was, especially given the added stress of a new school and all that jazz? The house itself was pretty barebones when they arrived, as well. She even gave it the ol' college try to decorate her room, before the added frustration of not having any of her furniture or supplies (plus that rat, but I don't remember if that was before or afterwards).

• Locked thread