Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

KirbyKhan posted:

Anyone seen how Tumblr reacted to this movie? I see this film giving flimsy validation that the headmate community will latch on to.

This notion kept coming up as I watched the movie because the internet has ruined me. It didn't nearly match the sense of dread that came over me during the Zootopia trailer before the movie started, though.

Also, stop talking about the sexuality of cartoon children you massive weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress I forgot about Zootopia. It'll be Lola Bunny and spacejam all over again!

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Not until we have a human lookalike a la Lola/Natalie Dormer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm open to the idea that Riley is something other than 100% hetero, which is well past due, I just don't think the argument was convincing.

Yeah I'm not speaking to the actual argument. I think the genderqueer idea is mildly convincing (simply because most of the other heads we see are monogendered), but that's not quite the same. I'm speaking to the idea that he's somehow a massive pedo weirdo for making it, when here in reality a huge chunk of LGBT people are aware of it from childhood and it would have actually been totally reasonable and okay for the movie to touch on that.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It would've been okay by most of us legendarily-tolerant goons, but culture (both in the US and elsewhere) has not advanced to the point where Pixar/Disney would be willing to risk courting that level of controversy.

What I thought was really neat about the film from a gender perspective, though, is that it had a girl protagonist who was not a princess, and who was neither super-girly nor a stereotypical "tomboy", but was just ... a human, with a lot in common with the little humans who are seeing this movie with their parents. That's pretty cool, and also pretty rare. Lilo and Coraline come to mind, but I couldn't think of any others.

It was also very cool that being athletic was central to her personality, and that they conveyed the message that loving your sport is key, rather than falling into clichés about the Big Game, the Hated Rival(s), etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We've already kinda had that in-between girl with Wreck-It Ralph and Brave.

This was one of the realest scenes in the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mIiib9ung

I'm going to totally despise whatever boyfriend sequel thing they're going to create if they make it a generic love story

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

the idea that a child being LGBT and aware of said LGBT-ness is somehow creepy needs to die yesterday, regardless of whether it applies to this movie.

def want a Sadness plush though

Sadness reminded my fiance and I way too much of a goth girl she knows that's always relishing her awful moods. Kinda soured us both on the character. Sadness is also the image that pops in my head of Lena in the new Irvine Welsh novel.

Anyway, though, I don't think an 11 year old being gay or aware of gayness is inherently creepy, I just don't think it happened in this movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Anyway, though, I don't think an 11 year old being gay or aware of gayness is inherently creepy, I just don't think it happened in this movie.

The creepy bit is people trying to force a narrative of sexuality that doesn't exist.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Drifter posted:

The creepy bit is people trying to force a narrative of sexuality that doesn't exist.

And doing it often enough to be notorious for it doesn't help either.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Of sexuality in general? Because that does exist. Dance around it all you want, but fantasy boyfriend is an expression of sexuality. I like to think it's an inauthentic one, a product of the hetero-normative cultural mandate that pairing up with a person of the opposite gender is what all adults do and something children, and especially girls, should aspire to as part of growing up. A fantasy boyfriend before you're into boys is just another way of dressing up in your mom's heels or your dad's tie and pretending to go to the office; it's play-acting adult behavior not expressing sexual desire. But that's largely based in my belief that the representation is too tongue-in-cheek, and Pixar in general is too smart for it to be otherwise. A lesser company would have no problem portraying blatant heterosexuality in a prepubescent and people wouldn't really question it because it's so normalized. The only evidence any of us have that that isn't the case here is just gut feeling and seeing what we want to see. Textually it's open-ended.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

[...] even after the creator said that there was nothing in the movie to do with [...]

Irrelevant.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
uggggghhhhhhh

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Yeah I don't know why goons are so creeped out about the possibility of Riley being bisexual. If she is, that's fine, big deal, whatever - it has minimal impact on the movie as a whole. If she's pure heterosexual or pure homosexual? Whatever! It doesn't matter. Seriously, people are way overreacting by calling the whole thing creepy.

That said, I enjoyed the movie, but for some reason it didn't really resonate with me as well as it did for other people. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Pixar movies or something, but I felt strongly the sense of being 'manipulated' (like I did at Toy Story 3), and...I don't know, being aware of that makes me feel a little less into it. Like when Bing Bong sacrifices himself, I was thinking, 'This is the part I need to be sad at, this is the part they engineered to be maximum sad', and it's kind of like knowing how a magician does his tricks.

But it was a funny, good movie, and my little sister really liked it, though I think she still places Big Hero 6 as her top fave. Also as someone from the Bay, I liked the depiction of San Francisco as exactly what it is in real life....a foggy, misty place with crumbling townhouses and people sporting tech t-shirts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're creeped out by the possibility of other goons never shutting the gently caress up about it.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Akarshi posted:

Bing Bong sacrifices himself, I was thinking, 'This is the part I need to be sad at, this is the part they engineered to be maximum sad', and it's kind of like knowing how a magician does his tricks.

This is a product of being a film-literate adult and watching a movie that is mostly aimed at children. While I would say that Pixar, at their best, do an excellent job of including enough genuine story, character, and narrative content to make their movies entertaining and meaningful for everyone, you have to remember that ultimately they all follow the very standard hero's journey. In short, they are, by design, somewhat predictable.

It's like in Big Hero Six when Baymax sacrifices himself at the end. As a film-literate adult, I know that he's not gone from the story because it's not that kind of movie, but that scene still has emotional impact (and I bet that if you paused it and asked most children in the audience, most of them would not be able to predict his return at the end).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Riley is not shown to have any gender preference. THE ARGUMENT IS OVER.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Drifter posted:

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

And doing it often enough to be notorious for it doesn't help either.

Bongo Bill posted:

They're creeped out by the possibility of other goons never shutting the gently caress up about it.

:agreed:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think we're getting dangerously ironic here.

Aside, I really didn't enjoy Big Hero 6. It felt like a poorly written YA superhero book. Meh. It was all over the place and the characters felt like decoration. I would be hard pressed to watch it again, but for some reason I watched Meet The Robinsons again a few months ago and still thought it was fun. :shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 6, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

I think we're getting dangerously ironic here.

Aside, I really didn't enjoy Big Hero 6. It felt like a poorly written YA superhero book. Meh. It was all over the place and the characters felt like decoration. I would be hard pressed to watch it again, but for some reason I watched Meet The Robinsons again a few months ago and still thought it was fun. :shrug:

There's a movie coming out about a guy who got killed in Iraq and the dog he had with him came back with PTSD and the guy's little brother has to take care of it and that's basically the movie Big Hero 6 would be if it didn't have to also spawn a franchise.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

If you asked a bunch of directors to write the most cliche patriotic movie they can think of, at least ten of them would write Max.

The dog jumped up on the coffin and cried. Hahaha!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

From the trailers it looks like terrorists/drug smugglers/liberals kidnap Hero Dog's human dad and the dog and the living son go on an adventure to stop them and build traps and stuff but it's all good family fun, so it's just Home Alone with PTSD or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lava is the weakest Pixar short ever, and the stupid song is stuck in my head now.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Lava is loving terrible, if we're being honest here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aside from being terrible, I'm not even sure what the message of Lava was intended to be. "True love will find you, if you just sit and wait until you're basically dead and complain about it"?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

precision posted:

Aside from being terrible, I'm not even sure what the message of Lava was intended to be. "True love will find you, if you just sit and wait until you're basically dead and complain about it"?

I think it's more about not giving in to bitterness when you don't find love right away while everyone else seems to. The fact that he kept singing his song of hope is what made her love him.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The lesson is bad puns will drown you, but if you find the right person who shares your love for awful puns things will work out OK.

I liked the dolphins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surlaw posted:

The lesson is bad puns will drown you, but if you find the right person who shares your love for awful puns things will work out OK.

Worked for my dad anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

Lava is the weakest Pixar short ever, and the stupid song is stuck in my head now.

It won't go away.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Fuckalla yall, Lava is great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KirbyKhan posted:

It's cute but it's also a lot different from Pixar's other shorts so I understand why people might not like it.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Feast > Lava.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

precision posted:

I thought it was a cautionary tale of a fat, lumpy, old frog-looking man sexually grooming a developing girl.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

I spent five minutes mentally preparing a Disney Pixar shorts tier list then thought better of it.

That said, Feast, Paperman, and Partysaurus Rex are top tier.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

KirbyKhan posted:

Lava is simple and hokey and it totally didn't make me cry oh god what have I become?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even if you puncture your eardrums you can still hear that lovely ukulele music.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Even if you puncture your eardrums you can still hear that lovely ukulele music.
It was the ultimate setup to the Triple Dent Gum joke :v:

That said I can't remember a thing about the song other than "lava you" :smugbert:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

japtor posted:

It was the ultimate setup to the Triple Dent Gum joke :v:

That said I can't remember a thing about the song other than "lava you" :smugbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaOtmC39To

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

japtor posted:

gently caress "lava you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's cute but it's also a lot different from Pixar's other shorts so I understand why people might not like it.
A lot of the Pixar shorts are very different from each other. Presto is basically a Loony Tunes short and so is One Man Band, and they're completely different from Paper Man or Chess Game which are different from Boundin and For the Birds. Lava isn't fantastic, but it's cute enough.

• Locked thread